George R.R. Martin

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: George R.R. Martin

Postby AlexPKeaton on Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:05 pm

eddysnake wrote:looks like I gotta order HBO again, I went back and reread Name of the wind preparing for Wise Man's fear that I got yesterday. I gotta get back into Fire and Ice mode...


Yeah that is next on my plate when I finish my re-read of book 4.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,707
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:46 am
Location: Malkinite Compound

Re: George R.R. Martin

Postby eddysnake on Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:14 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:
eddysnake wrote:looks like I gotta order HBO again, I went back and reread Name of the wind preparing for Wise Man's fear that I got yesterday. I gotta get back into Fire and Ice mode...


Yeah that is next on my plate when I finish my re-read of book 4.


started it last night, so far so good, Fire and Ice started getting a little redundant for me, and this is a nice change of pace. Hopefully the HBO series will get me excited to go back and read those books again.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,942
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm
Location: tool shed

Re: George R.R. Martin

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:05 pm

Not sure I get the game. Do I find a key somewhere in those videos?
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,098
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: George R.R. Martin

Postby AlexPKeaton on Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:09 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:Not sure I get the game. Do I find a key somewhere in those videos?


I dunno I didn't do it because I didn't feel like making an account haha. The spoiler in my post has the video you get at the end.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,707
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:46 am
Location: Malkinite Compound

Re: George R.R. Martin

Postby ded viper on Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:28 pm

Some elaborate promo materials were sent out to various press/bloggers late last week. Most doucmented what they received and posted on line (Winteriscoming & Westeros were two sites that posted what they were sent). The clues to the game were contained in what they were sent. HBO has definitelty put some marketing $ into the series.
ded viper
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:28 pm

Re: George R.R. Martin

Postby AlexPKeaton on Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:30 pm

The hype for this series online is ridiculous.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,707
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:46 am
Location: Malkinite Compound

Re: George R.R. Martin

Postby eddysnake on Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:31 pm

hope it lives up to it, because the "ship battle" amongst others in the future is going to be expensive to film, so they'll need all the viewers they can get.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,942
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm
Location: tool shed

Re: George R.R. Martin

Postby AlexPKeaton on Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:36 pm

On my re-read of the books, I noticed that most of the battles are not actually described by GRRM. He usually takes the PoV of someone being told what happened afterwords. But the King's Landing battle is definitely one that had PoV characters right in the middle of it.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,707
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:46 am
Location: Malkinite Compound

Re: George R.R. Martin

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:54 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:On my re-read of the books, I noticed that most of the battles are not actually described by GRRM. He usually takes the PoV of someone being told what happened afterwords. But the King's Landing battle is definitely one that had PoV characters right in the middle of it.


Yeah. He spends most of his time describing food.

The story is great and I would love to know what happens but I could never read another of his books. He's like Dumas and Dickens but they got paid by the word so I understand their style. Then he writes a book with 1/2 of the characters missing and takes FOREVER to write/release the next one with said missing characters. I'm done reading this series but I will find a synopsis of what happens.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,098
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: George R.R. Martin

Postby AlexPKeaton on Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:12 am

AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,707
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:46 am
Location: Malkinite Compound

Re: George R.R. Martin

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:22 am

AlexPKeaton wrote:A DANCE WITH DRAGONS

JULY 12


http://shelf-life.ew.com/2011/03/03/dan ... gons-date/


I've changed my mind on reading the next book :pop:

I will, however, never re-read the series (Ive said never before right?). I wonder if there is a place to get a good synopsis of the first 4 books so I can get a refresher.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,098
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: George R.R. Martin

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:22 am

Woah...900 page hardback? That's insane.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,098
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: George R.R. Martin

Postby AlexPKeaton on Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:23 am

PensFanInDC wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:A DANCE WITH DRAGONS

JULY 12


http://shelf-life.ew.com/2011/03/03/dan ... gons-date/


I've changed my mind on reading the next book :pop:

I will, however, never re-read the series (Ive said never before right?). I wonder if there is a place to get a good synopsis of the first 4 books so I can get a refresher.


Here is a pro tip. Get the audio version, it is read incredibly and will make re-reading it easy and fun.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,707
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:46 am
Location: Malkinite Compound

Re: George R.R. Martin

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:24 am

AlexPKeaton wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:A DANCE WITH DRAGONS

JULY 12


http://shelf-life.ew.com/2011/03/03/dan ... gons-date/


I've changed my mind on reading the next book :pop:

I will, however, never re-read the series (Ive said never before right?). I wonder if there is a place to get a good synopsis of the first 4 books so I can get a refresher.


Here is a pro tip. Get the audio version, it is read incredibly and will make re-reading it easy and fun.


4 audio books is a rather steep investment though. Im sure there is a detailed synopsis of the books online somewhere.....hopefully
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,098
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: George R.R. Martin

Postby AlexPKeaton on Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:26 am

PensFanInDC wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:I've changed my mind on reading the next book :pop:

I will, however, never re-read the series (Ive said never before right?). I wonder if there is a place to get a good synopsis of the first 4 books so I can get a refresher.


Here is a pro tip. Get the audio version, it is read incredibly and will make re-reading it easy and fun.


4 audio books is a rather steep investment though. Im sure there is a detailed synopsis of the books online somewhere.....hopefully


They might be available at the library, but if not, you can probably find them available on certain places in the internets.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,707
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:46 am
Location: Malkinite Compound

Re: George R.R. Martin

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:33 am

I don't do illegal downloads (#christianguy) :lol: but I'm going to check out amazon and maybe find some used copies. The chance to read about Jon Snow again (FINALLY!) is too much to pass up for me.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,098
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: George R.R. Martin

Postby eddysnake on Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:42 am

PensFanInDC wrote:I will, however, never re-read the series (Ive said never before right?). I wonder if there is a place to get a good synopsis of the first 4 books so I can get a refresher.


check this site out, I had a hard time rereading the books. This gives you a chapter by chapter summary of each book, it's great

http://www.towerofthehand.com/books/101/
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,942
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm
Location: tool shed

Re: George R.R. Martin

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:58 am

eddysnake wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:I will, however, never re-read the series (Ive said never before right?). I wonder if there is a place to get a good synopsis of the first 4 books so I can get a refresher.


check this site out, I had a hard time rereading the books. This gives you a chapter by chapter summary of each book, it's great

http://www.towerofthehand.com/books/101/


PERFECT!!!! Thank you!
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,098
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: George R.R. Martin

Postby Killiecrankie on Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:37 pm

When I start a series, **** gets done! ON book three!
Killiecrankie
 

Re: George R.R. Martin

Postby eddysnake on Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:30 pm

new full trailer, man am I excited

eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,942
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm
Location: tool shed

Re: George R.R. Martin

Postby PensFanInDC on Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:35 pm

Killiecrankie wrote:When I start a series, **** gets done! ON book three!


Best one of the series so far IMO. Get ready for even more messed up stuff.

Anyone else notice that Melisandre, however evil she is, is the only one fighting for what is really 'right'? What she is trying to do is SAVE THE WORLD! SCREW YOUR KINGDOMS!!
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,098
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: George R.R. Martin

Postby Shyster on Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:37 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:Woah...900 page hardback? That's insane.

:?: It’s no longer than the last couple of Harry Potter books. If I tell myself to slow down, I can probably stretch the read time to maybe three days or so.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,160
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: Here and there

Re: George R.R. Martin

Postby Killiecrankie on Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:45 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:
Killiecrankie wrote:When I start a series, **** gets done! ON book three!


Best one of the series so far IMO. Get ready for even more messed up stuff.

Anyone else notice that Melisandre, however evil she is, is the only one fighting for what is really 'right'? What she is trying to do is SAVE THE WORLD! SCREW YOUR KINGDOMS!!


I fell in love with "the north" rather early. I don't think that that is ever going to change.

Each chapter is almost like a short story, I read em so fast and then spend 10-15 minutes thinking about everything in them and all the outcomes and options before I zoom on through the next chapter.
Killiecrankie
 

Re: George R.R. Martin

Postby AlexPKeaton on Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:39 am

TONIGHT IS THE NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also if someone knows if any bakeries in the Pittsburgh Area sell lemon cakes I would be forever in your debt. I was going to bake them but meh, that is a lot of work. Maybe for next week lol.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,707
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:46 am
Location: Malkinite Compound

Re: George R.R. Martin

Postby PensFanInDC on Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:22 pm

That was amazing!
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,098
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DelPen, DudeMan2766, meow, the riddler and 6 guests

e-mail