computer hardware opinions

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

computer hardware opinions

Postby Peter on Fri May 05, 2006 9:08 pm

I'm considering one of these two computers. The processors seems to be the only spec that is different. So is a pentium THAT much better than a celeron? It is $150 more. The only other downfall is that the more expensive one is expandable to 2GB Ram, and the other is not.

• Intel Pentium M processor 735A (1.7GHz)
• Windows XP Media Center with Service Pack 2
• 1GB PC2 4200 DDR2 SDRAM
• 250GB hard drive
• Double-layer DVD±R/RW drive with CD-RW capabilities and LightScribe
• Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900 graphics
• 9-in-1 digital media card reader
• One third the size of a traditional PC
• Windows Vista Capable
• One-year limited warranty

OR

• Intel Celeron M Processor 390 (1.7GHz)
• Windows XP Media Center with Service Pack 2
• 1GB PC2 4200 DDR2 SDRAM
• 250GB hard drive
• Double-layer DVD±R/RW drive with CD-RW capabilities and LightScribe
• Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900 graphics
• 9-in-1 digital media card reader
• One third the size of a traditional PC
• Windows Vista Capable
• One-year limited warranty
Last edited by Peter on Sat May 06, 2006 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter

Postby netwolf on Fri May 05, 2006 10:15 pm

What are you going to use it for? If you just plan to use it for internet, basic office apps, e-mail and/or some light gaming, then save the bucks and get the Celeron.

OTOH, if you are going to be doing a lot of high-end gaming, video editing or other CPU-intensive stuff, get the Pentium.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Vanbiesbrouck on Sat May 06, 2006 1:55 am

Given the video capabilities, you're not going to take advantage of the Pentium anyway, so imo it's not worth the extra money unless you're going to upgrade to a vid card that will take advantage.
Vanbiesbrouck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MrKnowNothing on Sat May 06, 2006 2:22 am

Yeah, you'd have to pay extra to upgrade the video card to really put the Pentium to use.

Unless you are a hardcore gamer or something, which is probably not the case because most of them seem to be hardware nerds, just go with the Celeron. Pentiums could be considered THAT much better than Celerons but that is because they are designed for different purposes. Unless you need it to do engineering work or drafting or something, there's no compelling reason to pay the extra money unless you just want the best of the best.

I have the same Celeron processor right now on my laptop and it's great. I never have any problems with my laptop. My connection is always top notch and my computer doesn't lag at all, unlike the desktop PC which is the families and probably has countless amounts of spyware all over it. One of those computers that take 5 or 10 minutes to actually boot up. Mine takes maybe 10 seconds. The biggest thing is to keep your system clean from viruses and spyware. With getting a new system, I can't stress that enough. If you get good protection and are smart about what kinds of sites you visit, you can make the computer last a lot longer than most people seem to do.
MrKnowNothing

Postby Peter on Sat May 06, 2006 5:32 am

I do some gaming, but the celeron I have now seems to be fine for that. Most of my gaming is on the PS2.

I will also be doing a lot with digital pictures and flash animation.

Also what do you think of the RAM? 1GB okay these days? is 2 GB a little too much for basic computing?

Thanks for your opinions.
Peter

Postby FallenHero96 on Sat May 06, 2006 12:06 pm

1 GB will be plenty of RAM for the computer your setting up.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: computer hardware opinions

Postby Daniel on Sat May 06, 2006 12:13 pm

Peter wrote:I'm considering one of these two computers. The processors seems to be the only spec that is different. So is a pentium THAT much better than a celeron? It is $150 more. The only other downfall is that the more expensive one is expandable to 2GB Ram, and the other is not.

What are the prices for both? Who is the manufacturer? I would probably take neither, since I feel that AMD is a better processor and you could easily find a better product. Of course, not knowing the price makes that a guess.
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Sat May 06, 2006 3:10 pm

I would never buy a computer that is capped at 1 GB RAM. "Splurge" and go with the Pentium.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Hope it's not too late!

Postby minimal on Mon May 08, 2006 11:27 am

You really want to go for the Pentium. Multitasking with the Celeron is painful to say the least. The perfomance diff between the 735 and the 390 is rather large despite having the same clock speed. (Clock Speed is a VERY missleading spec)

Do yourself a favor and go for the Pentium. You will not be dissapointed.

M.
minimal
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Peter on Mon May 08, 2006 11:58 am

too late I bought the celeron. It's been great so far. Besides, I can buy a pentium, saw the computer in half, throw it in there, and It'll be upgraded.
Peter

Return to NHR