Sven-Göran Eriksson has lost his marbles

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Sven-Göran Eriksson has lost his marbles

Postby Gaucho on Tue May 09, 2006 10:26 am

The England coach has nominated 17-year-old Theo Walcott for the WC's, who's a great talent but has yet to play a game in the Premier League. Walcott is one of only four strikers in the squad. The others are Wayne Ronney, who is sure to miss at least the preliminary round, Michael Owen, who last week played his first game since December, and Peter Crouch, who sure has a nice touch for a big man.

Why not Darren Bent? He finished third in league scoring - and first among English players - with 18 goals.

Now that he's sure to leave his post after the WC's, Sven-Göran obviously thinks he can get away with anything.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Sven-Göran Eriksson has lost his marbles

Postby Admin on Tue May 09, 2006 10:37 am

Gaucho wrote:The England coach has nominated 17-year-old Theo Walcott for the WC's, who's a great talent but has yet to play a game in the Premier League.

Another Arsenal player at the WC. Cool. :lol:
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Rob UK Pen on Tue May 09, 2006 1:05 pm

You're forgetting one thing though.....

It's the World Cup and it wouldn't be England without the odd drama or two. :wink:

That said, I can't believe that only 2 weeks ago we were all sitting quietly confident of our team's chances this summer. Then Rooney gets injured, Owen's comeback is less than impressive and finally Sven goes off on one.

I swear this is all a secret plot to wind the English media and the nation as a whole into a frenzy before the start of the tournament.
Rob UK Pen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rob UK Pen on Tue May 09, 2006 1:18 pm

An interesting series of clips of England's new Saviour, it lasts for 3 minutes & 45 seconds which strangely is almost as long as his 1st team career. :wink:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/56388/theo_walcott/
Rob UK Pen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Admin on Tue May 09, 2006 1:21 pm

Rob UK Pen wrote:It's the World Cup and it wouldn't be England without the odd drama or two. :wink:

Or the Premiere League with their Lasagna-gate and Spurs' request to have a game replayed. I loved Henry's comments on the matter.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Rocco on Tue May 09, 2006 1:46 pm

Rob UK Pen wrote:You're forgetting one thing though.....

It's the World Cup and it wouldn't be England without the odd drama or two. :wink:

What, having no healthy strikers isn't enough drama? :)

That said, I can't believe that only 2 weeks ago we were all sitting quietly confident of our team's chances this summer. Then Rooney gets injured, Owen's comeback is less than impressive and finally Sven goes off on one.

If Owen can play, this could work if Sven plays a 4-5-1, and turns Lampard and Gerrard loose to score goals. Hell, those two are better goalscorers than most English strikers these days. It might even work with Crouch standing there as a lamppost, letting the wingers bank crosses off him. However, that would be creative, and Sven hasn't shown any of that. If England lines up in a 4-4-2, with Theo and Crouch up front, Gerrard on the left, and Beckham coasting on the right...it's going to be a short stay for England. I'd clear a spot at the pub. :)

Of the four strikers, one is mediocre, one is coming back from injury, one probably won't play, and one has the same amount of Premiership experience as I do. You're telling me there was no room for Darren Bent, Andy Johnson's dives, or even Robbie Fowler? Really? You needed yet another midfielder there, Sven?

It could be worse, you could be American and see Frankie Hejduk named to the squad. Not that I'm glad he's injured, but he's trash at the international level. Oh, and our best midfielders are John O'Brien and Claudio Reyna, neither of whom can go to the kitchen without getting hurt. Of course, it doesn't matter, because the US is a dead man walking, whereas England should still advance through the group stages unless Sven puts David James at forward. Even without Rooney, there's still enough talent there to win it...if everyone stays healthy/focused. This being England, someone should be arrested in a pub brawl any minute.

I swear this is all a secret plot to wind the English media and the nation as a whole into a frenzy before the start of the tournament.

I read Sven's decision as him giving the finger to the English FA for the way they shuttled him out.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Admin on Tue May 09, 2006 2:20 pm

Rocco wrote:This being England, someone should be arrested in a pub brawl any minute.

You heard about Wayne Bridge, right?
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Rocco on Tue May 09, 2006 3:28 pm

Admin wrote:
Rocco wrote:This being England, someone should be arrested in a pub brawl any minute.

You heard about Wayne Bridge, right?

I read that article right after I posted, actually.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby The Snapshot on Tue May 09, 2006 8:13 pm

Rob UK Pen wrote:An interesting series of clips of England's new Saviour, it lasts for 3 minutes & 45 seconds which strangely is almost as long as his 1st team career. :wink:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/56388/theo_walcott/

Question for Mozilla users. I can't play this clip from within Mozilla, but it plays fine within IE. When I ask Mozilla to search for the plug-in, it says I must locate it manually.

This is the case with quite a few embedded video players on sites.

This is a new computer for me, and apparently I must have had the plug-in on my previous computer - because I never had this problem.

Anybody have any answers or suggestions?
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Rob UK Pen on Wed May 10, 2006 12:15 pm

Rocco wrote:If Owen can play, this could work if Sven plays a 4-5-1, and turns Lampard and Gerrard loose to score goals. Hell, those two are better goalscorers than most English strikers these days. It might even work with Crouch standing there as a lamppost, letting the wingers bank crosses off him. However, that would be creative, and Sven hasn't shown any of that. If England lines up in a 4-4-2, with Theo and Crouch up front, Gerrard on the left, and Beckham coasting on the right...it's going to be a short stay for England. I'd clear a spot at the pub. :)

4-5-1 could well be an option, but as you rightly point out Sven hasn't exactly shown much tactical know-how beyond a static and rigid 4-4-2 formation. I prefer the idea of Gerrard (from the right) and Cole ( from the left) supporting a lone striker (which bizarrely is all we'll probably be able to take to Germany ;) ) with three across the middle - Beckham, Lampard and Carrick. 4-3-3 when in possession and 4-5-1 when we're defending.

But this is Sven's team and I think you're right, so a spot in the pub drowning my sorrows seems the likely outcome. :)

Rocco wrote:Even without Rooney, there's still enough talent there to win it...if everyone stays healthy/focused.

In theory I'd agree. But without someone making some tactical changes, everyone will know what to expect and how to play against us.

Rocco wrote:I read Sven's decision as him giving the finger to the English FA for the way they shuttled him out.

I think you're probably right, but I sometimes wonder whether Sven has actually got it in him to be insulting!
Rob UK Pen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BritishPenguin on Wed May 10, 2006 4:19 pm

I think England's chances are slim. No King, Defoe, Wright-Phillips or Bent, and we may lose Rooney and Owen. It's a sorry state of affairs.

I hope Walcott does well, same goes for Lennon and Downing.

I hear Steve McClaren wants to call up the Frenchman, Franck Queudrue in September - he's been at Middlesbrough for five seasons, therefore he qualifies for England.
BritishPenguin

Return to NHR