Jason Bay killing the Pirates tonight...

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Jason Bay killing the Pirates tonight...

Postby Goalie on Wed May 10, 2006 9:33 pm

0-4, has batted with runners on base every time, only time he advanced a runner was while grounding into a double play in the first that allowed McLouth to score.

FSP just showed an interesting graphic that compared Bay this year to the same point last year. He actually has one more home run this year, the same amount of RBI's but was hitting .317 last year compared to .248 currently.

It would be easy to say he has been the Pirates biggest dissapointment but that would be a huge slight against the .191 hitting Burnitz and whatever it is that Oliver Perez is doing every 5th day.
Goalie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby NIN on Wed May 10, 2006 10:23 pm

The Pirates are still playing? Man how long is that season?
NIN

Postby Fast B on Wed May 10, 2006 10:30 pm

I knew it, he's a bust! Hopefully we can trade him for some good young pitching.
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Goalie on Wed May 10, 2006 10:40 pm

Fast B wrote:I knew it, he's a bust! Hopefully we can trade him for some good young pitching.

Never said that, he needs to hit better though especially with runners in scoring position. Just because he went to the All-Star Game last year does not put him above criticism.
Goalie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MrKnowNothing on Wed May 10, 2006 11:55 pm

He needs to be surrounded with better players. In other words, Bautista and Sanchez and even Paulino need to be hitting in the lineup near him, not Burnitz and Randa.
MrKnowNothing

Postby Fast B on Thu May 11, 2006 12:30 am

Goalie wrote:
Fast B wrote:I knew it, he's a bust! Hopefully we can trade him for some good young pitching.

Never said that, he needs to hit better though especially with runners in scoring position. Just because he went to the All-Star Game last year does not put him above criticism.

Oh, I understood, just tweaking you a little. ;)

I do think that Bay is the least of the team's problems. When he has a bad night it's usually magnified because he's surrounded by a bunch of rookies and stiffs, and he's hardly a veteran himself. When Bay doesn't have to carry the entire team himself, his bad games won't look as bad.
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Goalie on Thu May 11, 2006 12:44 am

Fast B wrote:
Goalie wrote:

Oh, I understood, just tweaking you a little. ;)

I do think that Bay is the least of the team's problems. When he has a bad night it's usually magnified because he's surrounded by a bunch of rookies and stiffs, and he's hardly a veteran himself. When Bay doesn't have to carry the entire team himself, his bad games won't look as bad.

Oh Burnitz being a complete failure definetely magnifies Bay's struggles. No one ever bails Bay out of a bad game and I am sure Jason is putting a lot of pressure on himself. He is either being walked/pitched around or in a situation where the team desperately needs him.

Its just frustrating to watch this team, I count 3 guys playing at or above expectations. J. Wilson, Sanchez and Paulino. Maybe tonight will get Castillo going and maybe this will be the start of a good MLB career for Bautista. I just want the team to play well and be competitive. They are past the point of having a winning record this year but maybe they can find a lineup the rest of this year that can lead them into a better future.

I know a lot of maybes and more talk about the future. :lol:
Goalie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Thu May 11, 2006 8:29 am

Man, I am so tired of waiting for next year with this team. I have almost no interest in the Pirates anymore. The last time the had a winning season I was 11 years old! I apologize if I just made some people feel old here, but it's the truth.

Perez's recent struggles remind me of a potential trade with the Rangers. I think it was Perez for Hank Blalock. At the time, I would have made the trade, because this team is really hurting for offense, especially a possible stud power hitting third baseman. And you could have a rotation of Greg Maddux, Randy Johnson, Curt Schilling, Johan Santana, and Roger Clemens and still not win without some offense.

I know hindsight is 20/20, but that trade should have been a no-brainer!
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Thu May 11, 2006 8:32 am

No one should expect much from Burnitz. He isn't a good hitter.

Also, no one should be waiting for next year for this team because next year will be just as bad as this year
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby prez41 on Thu May 11, 2006 8:34 am

Put a dome over PNC Park, turn it into a hockey arena, and move the Pirates to Hamilton.
prez41
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

my hero!

Postby penny lane on Thu May 11, 2006 9:33 am

prez41 wrote:Put a dome over PNC Park, turn it into a hockey arena, and move the Pirates to Hamilton.

love it, penguins move to the North Side.
Then put the slots over there also.

Hey, they laughed when Sophie Masloff suggested putting up
a ball yard where PNC currently resides.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby prez41 on Thu May 11, 2006 9:38 am

Time to send some e-mails :D
prez41
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to NHR