Ron Cook quote on the Pirates

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Ron Cook quote on the Pirates

Postby CT Mechanic on Mon May 15, 2006 11:20 am

In today's paper, at the end of the article he says:

"What's sadder is that the Pirates are playing an exhibition game against the Cincinnati Reds this afternoon at the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, N.Y.

It just doesn't seem right that such a disgraceful baseball team is allowed to desecrate such hallowed baseball grounds. "

I think that is in the top ten all time for harshest things I've ever read in a local paper.

Not that I disagree with the disappointment we all feel in the Pirates, the team and their management. But do you think Ron is being too harsh, considering he's a reporter?

I dunno. I think, maybe, a little.

CT M
CT Mechanic
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby PittsburghSportsFan on Mon May 15, 2006 11:25 am

In my opinion......................

After witnessing fourteen years of pathetic baseball? No.

After witnessing and at one time, being the victim of ownership that is completely shady and gives out false notions like they are bobbleheads? No.

After witnessing Burnitz jogging to first base and our GM sticking up for his actions stating "Do you think he would've been safe?". No.

After witnessing the players and GM state that "it's still early in the year to worry" when your the most pathetic ball team in baseball? No.

It's about time some heat is being brought on this team from the media. Now only if the fans could follow suit instead of taking it up the rear every year from Pirate ownership. For years I've heard every excuse in the world made for this team, it's nice to actually hear somebody in the media speak their mind when it comes to this team. That organization deserves every bit of heat it takes. It's long overdue.
PittsburghSportsFan

Postby pfim on Mon May 15, 2006 12:06 pm

It's about time some heat is being brought on this team from the media. Now only if the fans could follow suit instead of taking it up the rear every year from Pirate ownership. For years I've heard every excuse in the world made for this team, it's nice to actually hear somebody in the media speak their mind when it comes to this team. That organization deserves every bit of heat it takes. It's long overdue.

The article seemed to be more about the players, though. Not sure his "venom" was properly directed. It isn't Jeromy Burnitz's job to not offer himself a contract.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PittsburghSportsFan on Mon May 15, 2006 12:26 pm

His article pertains to the way the Pirates are playing. Not hustling to first base when your batting .185 reflects on how you play the game. His job is to no half-ass it. Batting .185 is one thing, but everybody can hustle from home plate to first base. It is a disgrace that team is playing in Cooperstown.

Also, my comments pertain to the ownership on down to the players. They all deserve heat. What is Castillo's excuse for looking like **** all year? What's Bay's fault for being in a slump? What's Duffy's excuse? Perez unable to pitch?
Last edited by PittsburghSportsFan on Mon May 15, 2006 5:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PittsburghSportsFan

Postby pfim on Mon May 15, 2006 12:53 pm

PittsburghSportsFan wrote:His article pertains to the way the Pirates are playing. Not hustling to first base when your batting .185 reflects on how you play the game. His job is to no half-ass it. Batting .185 is one thing, but everybody can hustle from home plate to first base. It is a disgrace that team is playing in Cooperstown.

He never should have been signed in the first place. He isn't a good baseball player. Losing 112 games is not his fault, though.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PittsburghSportsFan on Mon May 15, 2006 4:20 pm

pfim wrote:
PittsburghSportsFan wrote:His article pertains to the way the Pirates are playing. Not hustling to first base when your batting .185 reflects on how you play the game. His job is to no half-ass it. Batting .185 is one thing, but everybody can hustle from home plate to first base. It is a disgrace that team is playing in Cooperstown.

He never should have been signed in the first place. He isn't a good baseball player. Losing 112 games is not his fault, though.

Nobody ever stated Burnitz is the main problem with this team. He's just one of many. Him not hustling and the GM making excuses for him is just one of many reasons why this team sucks and why they should not be playing in Cooperstown today.

While there is an excuse for batting .185, there is no excuse for not being able to run out a play at first base. That was my point with Burnitz. [/b]
PittsburghSportsFan

Postby MrKnowNothing on Mon May 15, 2006 4:58 pm

No, it isn't. The Pirates are an embarassment to professional sports, not just baseball.
MrKnowNothing

Postby Draftnik on Mon May 15, 2006 8:47 pm

~ 1.5M to 2M "fans" enable this malaise by turning out every season to enjoy the tasty food and cold beer. As long as McClatchy has a business model that will allow him to line his ownership group's pockets with $$$ why should he change?

It will be interesting to see what happens with the next MLB CBA. I can't imagine the rest of MLB is happy to see the Pirates, Royals, DRays, etc line their pockets with revenue sharing profits. The payoff went overboard because the beggars didn't even put up a reasonable facade of trying to compete.

I don't think cutting off the gravy train will make McClatchy a better owner, but it could force his group to sell. The Pirates are probably in a very small minority without enough votes to continue their handout.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to NHR