Problem with Firefox web browser

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Problem with Firefox web browser

Postby CT Mechanic on Fri May 19, 2006 3:27 pm

Hi,

I'm running Win XP for home and use Firefox as my browser. I went to run Firefox this morning, and it didn't run, it said that it couldn't find my user profile and it needed to make a new one. I was in a hurry, so I just hit "Okay" so I could get the directions I needed to go for my first appointment.

But now, when I open Firefox, this new profile has none of my old bookmarks and such. I don't see how to get it back, either.

Anyone have any advice on how to get my old bookmarks back?

Cluelessly,

CT M
CT Mechanic
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby CT Mechanic on Fri May 19, 2006 3:39 pm

Nevermind. Solved it. Had to Google it, the help file for Firefox sucks.
CT Mechanic
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Admin on Fri May 19, 2006 3:43 pm

CT Mechanic wrote:Nevermind. Solved it. Had to Google it, the help file for Firefox sucks.

On the outside chance someone else runs into the problem, you did a search for bookmarks.html and then copied that to your new profile directory, correct?
Admin
Site Admin

Postby The Snapshot on Fri May 19, 2006 4:34 pm

Admin wrote:
CT Mechanic wrote:Nevermind. Solved it. Had to Google it, the help file for Firefox sucks.

On the outside chance someone else runs into the problem, you did a search for bookmarks.html and then copied that to your new profile directory, correct?

Here's a question for Mr. Admin:

I have recently gotten a new computer, and run XP on it as opposed to 2000 Professional on my old one. When I try to play embedded video such as the ones on TSN, or Metacafe, I get a message saying I need a plug-in. When I ask the system to locate the plug-in manually.

When I go to the plug-in finder, it basically presents me with Flashplayer, Showckwave, WMP, etc. - all of which are on this computer.

Any idea what I should do? They run fine if I use IE, but Mozilla won't play them for me.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Hockeynut! on Fri May 19, 2006 4:48 pm

I thought this was going to be about memory leak. :) I did all the "fixes" that I could find but my Firefox memory leak problem just gets progressively worse. It used to top out at 400K but now routinely tops 1gig of memory usage. When I try to download a file from the net, it takes a good 30-45 seconds to begin the download (and I'm on broadband). The program has just about become unuseable.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox. Removed all extensions, etc. Nothing fixes it. If I didn't ahte IE so much, I'd give up and go back to it.
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MrKnowNothing on Fri May 19, 2006 6:09 pm

I don't have problems with Firefox, but if anyone does, Opera is another good web browser. A lot of people seem to like it better than Firefox, but FF suits me fine so I've never had a reason to switch.
MrKnowNothing

Postby Daniel on Fri May 19, 2006 6:28 pm

The Snapshot wrote:
Admin wrote:

Here's a question for Mr. Admin:

I have recently gotten a new computer, and run XP on it as opposed to 2000 Professional on my old one. When I try to play embedded video such as the ones on TSN, or Metacafe, I get a message saying I need a plug-in. When I ask the system to locate the plug-in manually.

When I go to the plug-in finder, it basically presents me with Flashplayer, Showckwave, WMP, etc. - all of which are on this computer.

Any idea what I should do? They run fine if I use IE, but Mozilla won't play them for me.

You have to download them for Firefox as well. When they are presented, you should get an option to download the plug in
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Fri May 19, 2006 6:44 pm

Daniel wrote:
You have to download them for Firefox as well. When they are presented, you should get an option to download the plug in

That's the problem, Mozilla doesn't present anything when I ask it to locate the plug-in. It says I have to manually search for it, but doesn't even tell me what the proper plug-in is?
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Daniel on Fri May 19, 2006 7:35 pm

The Snapshot wrote:
Daniel wrote:

That's the problem, Mozilla doesn't present anything when I ask it to locate the plug-in. It says I have to manually search for it, but doesn't even tell me what the proper plug-in is?

It should have a green puzzle looking thing on the page, or a bar at the top of the page. Either of those ought to allow you to download the plug in.

Kind of weird that it doesn't show anything on the page itself.

Did you try the plug ins part of the Firefox page?
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Fri May 19, 2006 8:52 pm

Daniel wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:
Daniel wrote:

It should have a green puzzle looking thing on the page, or a bar at the top of the page. Either of those ought to allow you to download the plug in.

Yes, I tried the Firefox page, and all it shows me are things that are on my computer like Shockwave, WMP, etc.

The puzzle piece and the bar are what I click on to get the response back that Firefox can't locate the plug-in and that I should search manually for it. If it just told me what plug-in it needed, I could find it. It is very annoying.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Daniel on Sat May 20, 2006 1:24 am

The Snapshot wrote:
Daniel wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:
Daniel wrote:

Yes, I tried the Firefox page, and all it shows me are things that are on my computer like Shockwave, WMP, etc.

The puzzle piece and the bar are what I click on to get the response back that Firefox can't locate the plug-in and that I should search manually for it. If it just told me what plug-in it needed, I could find it. It is very annoying.

When you see the Shockwave, WMP, etc. on the Firefox page, have you tried to download them? You might have them, but they might be IE related.
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Sat May 20, 2006 12:40 pm

Daniel wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:
Daniel wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:
Daniel wrote:

When you see the Shockwave, WMP, etc. on the Firefox page, have you tried to download them? You might have them, but they might be IE related.

Yeah, I tried that too. I'm at a loss for what to do next. Like I said, TSN and Metacafe are two sites specifically that will not work. I can play embedded Quicktime files and Realplayer and WMP files, so long as the allow playback in those players external to the page.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Return to NHR