Pirates news - Mark Cuban related

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Pirates news - Mark Cuban related

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Tue May 30, 2006 1:04 pm

Apparently Mark Cuban might also be interested in owning the Cubs if they become available.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/mariotti/cst-spt-jay30.html

Mark Cuban would be interested in owning the Cubs. I know this because he said so, by e-mail, responding quicker to my questions than it takes Andy MacPhail to remove his tinted sunglasses and Dusty Baker to make a pitching change. Tired of writing every week that baseball-inept Tribune Co. should sell the club and set Cubdom free, I chose to seek solutions this time and gauge the self-made billionaire's level of curiosity.

It's higher than I thought.

"If the Cubs come up for sale, it would most likely happen through an investment banker. If they produce a book, I certainly would take a look at it,'' wrote Cuban, who found time to answer even with his basketball team, the Dallas Mavericks, sitting two victories from the NBA Finals.

Why the Cubs? Wouldn't he have better things to do than fight with an old billy goat? Seems Cuban, like much of America, has a love affair with Wrigley Field.

"I've been there a bunch of times and had a blast every time. It's attractive because [the Cubs] are an institution in Chicago,'' wrote Cuban, who sang "Take Me Out to the Ball Game'' four summers ago and didn't botch it like Ozzy Osbourne and Mike Ditka.

Clearly, I am not the only one who has pondered the notion of this middle-aged frat guy -- and the most successful of the new breed of sports owners -- rescuing the Cubs from themselves. "Please ask Cubs fans to stop sending me e-mails asking me to buy the team,'' Cuban wrote. "Between Chicago, Pittsburgh and K.C., it's killing my inbox.'' He has interest in the Cubs and his hometown Pirates, another franchise aching for an ownership change. But, really now, the Kansas City Royals?

"Sorry, K.C.,'' Cuban wrote. "Great city, but not for me.''

Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to NHR