Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby the wicked child on Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:46 am

Finished 'dominating' quest mode in Guitar Hero: Warrior of Rock. At the end of the day, Quest mode is mostly retarded. The 'powers' don't really make playing the songs more fun, though they do allow you to survive some of the more difficult songs on a higher difficulty than you probably would otherwise (big deal).

That said, the setlist is by far my favorite of any music game to date. There are a few songs I could do without, but overall, it's one :thumb: song after another.

The addition of random songs in quickplay is much welcome, even if it isn't immediately obvious how to get to it. (yeah I know Rockband had that already, but I'm glad GH decided to add it. Party Play technically did that, but only with the disc songs).

2 small additions that I don't recall seeing in previous games are much welcomed: 1. when you pause, the track actually rewinds by a second or two so that when you unpause, you can actually hit the next note. (you can't use this to hit notes you missed - the rewound portion of the highway contains no notes). 2. On the meter tracking your stars, they added a second bar that shows your progress through the song.

Some of the songs at the end of this game are insanely difficult. Reminds me of GH3 in that regard. I'm not sure I would have passed This Day We Fight or Sudden Death without all of the powers... and I played those on Hard. It was a different kind of crazy than Mosh1 in Raining Blood, but still crazy as hell.

The game can be connected to facebook, so with a press of a button, you can post your FCs and such (if that's your thing).

Overall, despite the goofiness of Quest mode, the super strong setlist and improvements make the game more than worth it, IMO.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:53 am

Took a page out of APK's book and bought Civilization III gonna be the first one I ever played
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:57 am

Made a random trip to Gamespot yesterday, and saw Mass Effect 2 on sale for $17.99. Looking forward to digging into it after I finish RDR.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Corvidae on Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:07 am

I just bought the first Devil May Cry. :pop:
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kraftster on Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:15 am

I'd recommend Civ 2 or Civ IV myself. I played III plenty, but, it was probably my least favorite Civ game.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:15 am

Kraftster wrote:I'd recommend Civ 2 or Civ IV myself. I played III plenty, but, it was probably my least favorite Civ game.

Ah ok, I will have to give those 2 a shot. I just hope my comp can run 4 :scared:
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Avyran on Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:46 pm

Has anyone bought Halo ODST or Reach? I've been thinking of picking them up (partially for the Firefight options) & was looking to hear from others about it. I did, for the record, like Halos 1-3.
Avyran
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby count2infinity on Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:06 pm

Avyran wrote:Has anyone bought Halo ODST or Reach? I've been thinking of picking them up (partially for the Firefight options) & was looking to hear from others about it. I did, for the record, like Halos 1-3.

i bought my 360 a little while after ODST. It's pretty much Halo 3, but with a different story line. The story line itself is pretty cool. It does have some down time where you have to run from one side of the map to the other to get to the next mission. the ODST comes with (or at least mine did) Halo 3 multiplayer, and since i had already played halo 3, i didn't even buy it.

Halo reach is awesome. There is a lot of new stuff and the missions are pretty fun. The story line is basically a prequel to all the other halo's. The multiplayer is a lot of fun too. instead of vetoing a particular map/game, you get to choose from 3 or veto all three and get 3 more choices. There are daily and weekly challenges in multiplayer too which are fun to try and accomplish. overall it's a very solid game.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby AugustBurnsRed on Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:18 pm

Avyran wrote:Has anyone bought Halo ODST or Reach? I've been thinking of picking them up (partially for the Firefight options) & was looking to hear from others about it. I did, for the record, like Halos 1-3.

ODST is useless now IMO, since Reach is the new main matchmaking, and eventually Halo 3 matchmaking will be gone and there'll just be Reach... so go with Reach. The Reach campaign is the best IMO, really fun to play especially with a friend. The matchmaking is fun too, Bungie just needs to patch up some issues, they've already done a good job of that.
AugustBurnsRed

Postby AugustBurnsRed on Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:19 pm

The game I've played the most for the past while has be Bad Company 2.. much better than MW2.
AugustBurnsRed

Postby Chefpatrick871 on Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:58 am

the wicked child wrote:Finished 'dominating' quest mode in Guitar Hero: Warrior of Rock. At the end of the day, Quest mode is mostly retarded. The 'powers' don't really make playing the songs more fun, though they do allow you to survive some of the more difficult songs on a higher difficulty than you probably would otherwise (big deal).

That said, the setlist is by far my favorite of any music game to date. There are a few songs I could do without, but overall, it's one :thumb: song after another.

The addition of random songs in quickplay is much welcome, even if it isn't immediately obvious how to get to it. (yeah I know Rockband had that already, but I'm glad GH decided to add it. Party Play technically did that, but only with the disc songs).

2 small additions that I don't recall seeing in previous games are much welcomed: 1. when you pause, the track actually rewinds by a second or two so that when you unpause, you can actually hit the next note. (you can't use this to hit notes you missed - the rewound portion of the highway contains no notes). 2. On the meter tracking your stars, they added a second bar that shows your progress through the song.

Some of the songs at the end of this game are insanely difficult. Reminds me of GH3 in that regard. I'm not sure I would have passed This Day We Fight or Sudden Death without all of the powers... and I played those on Hard. It was a different kind of crazy than Mosh1 in Raining Blood, but still crazy as hell.

The game can be connected to facebook, so with a press of a button, you can post your FCs and such (if that's your thing).

Overall, despite the goofiness of Quest mode, the super strong setlist and improvements make the game more than worth it, IMO.

This almost makes me want to buy this. Almost, but Im going to wait out for RB3, keyboards..... droooooool. I may score this used in a few months.
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby the wicked child on Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:05 am

Meh. The setlist in RB3 is mediocre, keyboards or no. The only reason I'm looking forward to it is that it's adding the same technology GH5 brought to the Wii which will allow exports and such. Maybe some of the songs will surprise me, but it definitely doesn't have the instant impact of the WOR set where for most of the game I found myself playing songs that I liked/loved.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:52 pm

SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby beerman on Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:20 am

NBA Jam for the Wii, awesome
beerman
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby SolidSnake on Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:23 am

Castlevania Lord of Shadows
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:49 am

Just got the new Medal Of Honor. Sound design in the first level is a-ma-zing; perspective shifts, depth of field, echoes.... fantastic stuff.

The only problem is I can't trigger the bloody cut scene at the end of the level. So I get to the door where the thing is supposed to start, and my four-man team just stands around looking stupid. Bah.

SolidSnake wrote:Castlevania Lord of Shadows

Been playing a little of that in the arcade at work. Not my usual type of game, but so far it's sorta fun.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:17 am

tifosi77 wrote:Just got the new Medal Of Honor. Sound design in the first level is a-ma-zing; perspective shifts, depth of field, echoes.... fantastic stuff.

The only problem is I can't trigger the bloody cut scene at the end of the level. So I get to the door where the thing is supposed to start, and my four-man team just stands around looking stupid. Bah.

SolidSnake wrote:Castlevania Lord of Shadows

Been playing a little of that in the arcade at work. Not my usual type of game, but so far it's sorta fun.

Yea I like it. Its not easy though, I'm playing on warrior difficultly and died a bunch of times already.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Three Stars on Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:48 am

My first Pee-Wee to Pro season is over. Lost in the conference finals to...the Pittsburgh Penguins. We could not stop Crosby and Letang. We're talking 3-0 leads becoming 4-3 losses. Mikael Grabovski had his lunch eaten for him by Crosby on faceoffs, so we always started at a disadvantage.

The Penguins then won the Cup against Anaheim.

So....conflicted.... :scared:

After I let the disgust settle today, I'm starting over as a center this time, so we can actually win faceoffs in games that matter.
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thepittman on Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:02 am

I have MOH it isn't as bad as the internet would like you to think it is.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Tybrus on Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:59 pm

Just bought this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0035K6H2C/ref=asc_df_B0035K6H2C1287851?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=pg-469-34-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B0035K6H2C.

Going to start constructing my self a proper, gaming pc. My old rig is beginning to fail miserably.
Tybrus
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby the wicked child on Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:09 pm

picked up Final Fantasy 3 (the real 3, not 6) for DS.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:44 pm

the wicked child wrote:picked up Final Fantasy 3 (the real 3, not 6) for DS.

I've never played that ever :scared:
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:55 pm

SolidSnake wrote:
the wicked child wrote:picked up Final Fantasy 3 (the real 3, not 6) for DS.

I've never played that ever :scared:

Neither have I (until now).
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Tybrus on Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:48 pm

Picked up New Vegas today. Starting on Hard difficulty with Hardcore mode enabled. Game is still not hard. blah.
Tybrus
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:46 am

I'm about a year late on this, but I started playing the New Super Mario Brothers on the Wii this past weekend.

It's pretty fun. I'm trying to get all of the star coins as I go along.

I've got them all on W1. I need like 5 on world 2 and 4 on World 3. Haven't played any of the W4 boards yet.

So I guess I am going to try to master this game before I pick Zelda the WW back up. That game has been on hold for like 2 years now.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR