Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby newarenanow on Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:12 pm

slappybrown wrote:
meecrofilm wrote:
newarenanow wrote:That's because the Wii is cool and everyone is trying to be like them.


I do find the hypocrisy of Playstation Move and Microsoft Kinect pretty entertaining. Both companies were pissing all over the Wii and 'waggle' when it first came out... what a bunch of jokes.

The difference being, of course, that the PS3 and Xbox360 actually have real video game capabilities reflective of current technology, and not, you know, 2002 era tech.


But they still made fun of the motion control, and are now jumping aboard. A little hyprocitical. :pop:
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,205
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: Current video game being played

Postby meecrofilm on Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:14 pm

slappybrown wrote:
meecrofilm wrote:
newarenanow wrote:That's because the Wii is cool and everyone is trying to be like them.


I do find the hypocrisy of Playstation Move and Microsoft Kinect pretty entertaining. Both companies were pissing all over the Wii and 'waggle' when it first came out... what a bunch of jokes.

The difference being, of course, that the PS3 and Xbox360 actually have real video game capabilities reflective of current technology, and not, you know, 2002 era tech.


As I recall, the main beef with the Wii to begin with, both with Sony and Microsoft reps, as well as consumers, wasn't that the graphics weren't that great, it was the "waggle." I don't recall anyone saying, "Motion gaming? Sounds cool. Well, maybe if the graphics were better I'd be on board, but since they're not, no thank you." All the criticism was of the motion waggle "gimmick." Anyone who picks up the Playstation Move and enjoys it immensely and who previously shunned the Wii specifically for the motion stuff is a bonafide hypocrite (and there will be many).

And though it's obviously a ridiculously small sample size (one person :lol: ) SolidSnake's above post at least supports one part of my argument.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,385
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:09 pm
Location: Filly don't do rebounds.

Re: Current video game being played

Postby steve784 on Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:17 pm

Smackdown vs. Raw 2011......any thoughts?
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,638
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:09 pm
Location: Parts Unknown

Re: Current video game being played

Postby newarenanow on Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:17 pm

npv708 wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:including my fiancée. However, like I said, even she isn't attracted to the gimmick anymore.


She said the same thing about you. :pop:


ZING! :fist:
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,205
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: Current video game being played

Postby SolidSnake on Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:18 pm

Uh, I never liked Motion Control and never will. How does that support your argument, I always hated Motion Control and now that Sony and Microsoft have motion control means I still wont support it. What are you even talking about?
Last edited by SolidSnake on Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,127
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 pm
Location: Winners don't use drugs.- William S. Sessions.

Re: Current video game being played

Postby npv708 on Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:18 pm

steve784 wrote:Smackdown vs. Raw 2011......any thoughts?


They still make wrestling games?
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,665
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:11 pm
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Current video game being played

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:19 pm

npv708 wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:including my fiancée. However, like I said, even she isn't attracted to the gimmick anymore.


She said the same thing about you. :pop:


Well looks like I'll be getting my ring back today then.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,983
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:33 pm
Location: Who is Sims?

Re: Current video game being played

Postby newarenanow on Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:20 pm

SolidSnake wrote:Uh, I never liked Motion Control and never will. How does that support your argument, I always hated Motion Control and now that Sony and Microsoft have motion control means I still wont support it. What are you even talking about?


Yeah, I think he misread your OP.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,205
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: Current video game being played

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:21 pm

npv708 wrote:
steve784 wrote:Smackdown vs. Raw 2011......any thoughts?


They still make wrestling games?


Spoiler:
Image
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,739
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:59 pm
Location: The Panda Will Fly Away On A Rainbow

Re: Current video game being played

Postby slappybrown on Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:21 pm

meecrofilm wrote:
As I recall, the main beef with the Wii to begin with, both with Sony and Microsoft reps, as well as consumers, wasn't that the graphics weren't that great, it was the "waggle." I don't recall anyone saying, "Motion gaming? Sounds cool. Well, maybe if the graphics were better I'd be on board, but since they're not, no thank you." All the criticism was of the motion waggle "gimmick." Anyone who picks up the Playstation Move and enjoys it immensely and who previously shunned the Wii specifically for the motion stuff is a bonafide hypocrite (and there will be many).

And though it's obviously a ridiculously small sample size (one person :lol: ) SolidSnake's above post at least supports one part of my argument.

Personally, I think motion technology is dumb, at least at this point. I've played it at friends houses, and its gimmicky IMO. I have a 360, and there is zero chance I will ever own a Kinect.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,453
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:08 am
Location: Noted Board Henchman

Re: Current video game being played

Postby SolidSnake on Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:22 pm

newarenanow wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:Uh, I never liked Motion Control and never will. How does that support your argument, I always hated Motion Control and now that Sony and Microsoft have motion control means I still wont support it. What are you even talking about?


Yeah, I think he misread your OP.

Do you think you are gonna get Goldeneye for Wii? It looks good.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,127
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 pm
Location: Winners don't use drugs.- William S. Sessions.

Re: Current video game being played

Postby npv708 on Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:22 pm

I have a wii and I used it semi-frequently. Some of the games were pretty fun. CoD World At War was interesting as a shooter, but the Wii was treated like a redhead stepchild to the gaming industry in that the games that were produced for it were specifically designed for children and ported from the other consoles. Madden, NCAA, NHL 2k10 were all jokes of a game for the wii. It got old, real fast. I don't plan on getting the Move for my ps3.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,665
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:11 pm
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Current video game being played

Postby meecrofilm on Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:23 pm

SolidSnake wrote:Uh, I never liked Motion Control and never will. How does that support your argument, I always hated Motion Control and now that Sony and Microsoft have motion control means I still wont support it. What are you even talking about?


:P I was referring to the beginning -- The point you helped support was the group of people who hated the wii because of the waggle, not because of slightly inferior processing power, like slappybrown proposed. That's why I specified you helped support "one part" of it. You make up one part -- the other part will be the people who shared similar sentiments but will end up liking Move (and kinect or whatever), and their rationalizations will either be along the lines of "But the graphics are realistic now!" or "But the games it's used for are more mature!" Whereas those were not the deterrents from keeping them using Motion Control on the Wii (it was the motion control itself in the first place doing that.).
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,385
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:09 pm
Location: Filly don't do rebounds.

Re: Current video game being played

Postby newarenanow on Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:55 pm

SolidSnake wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:Uh, I never liked Motion Control and never will. How does that support your argument, I always hated Motion Control and now that Sony and Microsoft have motion control means I still wont support it. What are you even talking about?


Yeah, I think he misread your OP.

Do you think you are gonna get Goldeneye for Wii? It looks good.


I don't know yet. Possibly. I'm still trying to catch up on games I already have.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,205
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: Current video game being played

Postby canaan on Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:01 pm

I beef with the wii is that it refuses to re-evaluate itself. take what works and build off of it. for every good, creative game that comes out for the wii, there is 1000 40-60$ flash games that it tries to pass off as great entertainment. for instance, boom blox was an entertaining game--that should be played in flash or on a bar touch screen, not pawned off as a dazzling $60 purchase. I got sick of getting ripped off on junk under the guise of "ingenious use of cutting edge technology" /soapbox ...and yes, i still have my wii...the last game i played was metroid and stopped playing because of the graphics.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 38,647
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 11:13 am
Location: Fritos. On. My. Sub.

Re: Current video game being played

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:05 pm

If they would make a complete "wii bowling game" with competitions and stuff I'd be all over it in a heartbeat.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,983
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:33 pm
Location: Who is Sims?

Re: Current video game being played

Postby newarenanow on Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:17 pm

canaan wrote:I beef with the wii is that it refuses to re-evaluate itself. take what works and build off of it. for every good, creative game that comes out for the wii, there is 1000 40-60$ flash games that it tries to pass off as great entertainment. for instance, boom blox was an entertaining game--that should be played in flash or on a bar touch screen, not pawned off as a dazzling $60 purchase. I got sick of getting ripped off on junk under the guise of "ingenious use of cutting edge technology" /soapbox ...and yes, i still have my wii...the last game i played was metroid and stopped playing because of the graphics.


I do agree with that. 90% of the games are crap. And another 5% are ok.

I just love the 5% that are great games. And I truly think they are great and a ton of fun. And a part of it is the nostalgic factor for me, the Marios, Metroids, Zeldas, etc. That is why I enjoy it so much. And I just pretty much stick with those games.

I just dont' have the time I used to to really play a ton of games, so that small selection of games keeps me happy.

I totally understand why people that like to play more "mature" and seirous games with better graphics hate the Wii. It's not built for it. I would hope that going forward, Nintendo can revaluate itself like you said, have the hardware advances and open up it's gaming options, but that is just something Nintendo has never done. So I'm not expecting it.

But for me, the nostalgic factor and those gaming franchises keep me happy.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,205
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: Current video game being played

Postby Chefpatrick871 on Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:12 pm

RB3, Pro Keys are epically hard.
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,141
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:56 pm
Location: Eating muffins with Derpy

Re: Current video game being played

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:17 pm

slappybrown wrote:The difference being, of course, that the PS3 and Xbox360 actually have real video game capabilities reflective of current technology, and not, you know, 2002 era tech.

Exactly.... 360 and PS3 are more like 2004-2005 era tech.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,754
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: Current video game being played

Postby ulf on Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:53 pm

I think Kinect may be a little different, being that there is no controller involved. i dunno.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,551
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:41 pm

Re: Current video game being played

Postby meecrofilm on Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:16 pm

ulf wrote:I think Kinect may be a little different, being that there is no controller involved. i dunno.


So like the Wii balance pad? :P
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,385
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:09 pm
Location: Filly don't do rebounds.

Re: Current video game being played

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:19 am

Kinect is used for every Kinect game. The Wii Balance thing can only be used for certain games. Not everything copies Nintendo like some would think.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,127
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 pm
Location: Winners don't use drugs.- William S. Sessions.

Re: Current video game being played

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:25 am

SolidSnake wrote:Kinect is used for every Kinect game. The Wii Balance thing can only be used for certain games. Not everything copies Nintendo like some would think.


I haven't used it, but its not hard to imagine kinect and move both improving on it. and from what i've seen move completely bends the wii technology over.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,599
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Current video game being played

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:27 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:Kinect is used for every Kinect game. The Wii Balance thing can only be used for certain games. Not everything copies Nintendo like some would think.


I haven't used it, but its not hard to imagine kinect and move both improving on it. and from what i've seen move completely bends the wii technology over.

Yea I agree. I am looking forward to at least try out Kinect.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,127
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 pm
Location: Winners don't use drugs.- William S. Sessions.

Re: Current video game being played

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:30 am

SolidSnake wrote:Yea I agree. I am looking forward to at least try out Kinect.


SolidSnake wrote:I'm not behind Move or Kinect I still hate motion control.



It's already begun :scared: :scared: :scared:
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,385
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:09 pm
Location: Filly don't do rebounds.

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CERV96, Dickie Dunn, KennyTheKangaroo, npv708 and 4 guests

e-mail