Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:42 pm

Did anyone pick up NCAA 14, and is it worth it to replace NCAA 11 with it?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Chefpatrick871 on Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:59 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Did anyone pick up NCAA 14, and is it worth it to replace NCAA 11 with it?

I tried the demo, seemed alright. 11 is still my favorite.
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby skullman80 on Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:26 pm

I think NCAA 2014 plays pretty good. It's not perfect, but better than the last few years IMO.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:29 pm

So I finished the main story line in Skyrim.. yikes, that was lame. Really went down a crappy path. Final battle was pretty disappointing overall.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:55 am

tifosi77 wrote:
offsides wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:So I finally finished "The Last Of Us".

Spoiler:
What's the only thing worse than fungus infected zombies?

VOLUNTARY CANNIBALS!!

I was not ready for that.

At all.

But the Naughty Dog guys managed to create a story with a happy ending...... that isn't really happy. I just sat staring at my display while the credits rolled thinking, "Wow, Joel's a d|ick," but I think he acted in a very human way.

Just an all around incredible game, probably the single best game I've ever played. It carries more emotional heft than just about any film I've ever seen, and it's completely engrossing.

Congrats! Looks like my type of game. About how long did it take to finish?

I think a bit north of 20 hours for me.

One thing to remember, there are a lot of cut scenes in the game, and they're mostly pretty lengthy. I've heard some complain about that, but for me it heightened the cinematic impact of the story.

Just checked the stats on my savegame and I was off a bit; I finished in 18 hrs, 30 mins.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:40 pm

Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby GSdrums87 on Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:49 pm

Good, EA is eating up all these smaller companies and still putting out mediocrity.

That I enjoy.

The shame envelopes me.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:55 pm

Sadly, this would only cost them like $55 million. :scared:
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:20 am

Down to just needed the final 20 mithril blocks. Some of these have been a huge PITA jumping wise.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby the wicked child on Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:34 am

I think my least favorite was the one where you have to climb to the top of Orthanc and fall in just the right spot to get the brick. And when you miss, more often than not you have to climb more than halfway back up.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:53 am

the wicked child wrote:I think my least favorite was the one where you have to climb to the top of Orthanc and fall in just the right spot to get the brick. And when you miss, more often than not you have to climb more than halfway back up.

I got that one, but yes, I climbed that damn thing like 10 times and it got annoying.

The vines kill me. They are very difficult to judge where to jump off, and a lot of the jumping ones, the camera angle sucks.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:55 am

So I'm hopelessly addicted to OOTP 14. I am running two games, one on my desktop where I manage each game, and one on my laptop where I just GM. I just found out though that they have the profiles of hall of fame managers that you can pick for your strategy haha.

And I also just found out that you can start a franchise in any year from 1871 till modern day lol!! I made the Pirates in 1901 (I read that the pre-1900 rosters were goofy), and have Honus Wagner and a bunch of players I never heard of. He makes like $2000. I hired a minor league coach for $900 lololol.

I actually think I'm going to abandon this and start up the Buccos in like 1988 and try to erase the Sid Bream fiasco. Since the late 80s and early 90s were the last years I followed baseball closely haha.

Edit: And when you start a historical game, you have a million options as to how you want this to play out. You can have the players develop as they did hisorically, you can have the game re-create all of the historical transactions (or not). If you start in the early days the teams will move cities and the stadiums will change as they did historically.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sarcastic on Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:55 pm

canaan wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:
canaan wrote:FPS suck.

eh, not really. The Half-Life series is amazing. As is Halo. Goldeneye? Doom? Bioshock? FarCry?

I can understand not preferring FPS, but I wouldn't say they suck. Just like I personally don't care for games like Command and Conquer and Civilization, but I know they are great games on their own. Not my cup of tea.

shut up. they suck. its mindless idjit dorks flailing about thinking they are "pwnz0rz" because they know a map better than people that have played for a couple weeks. its moron gaming.

moron gaming.

That's the impression I get whenever I spend 10 minutes trying the online portion of a FPS. I just don't find it entertaining. FPS games are actually my favorite but only if they feature a solid single player campaign and hopefully have a story I can relate to. Sadly, FPS games have been drifting too much toward the online thing. I like single or co-op with friends, but not this mindless shooting with expert 13 year olds and dying every 5 minutes regardless of how good you are, and doing all that with virtually no story behind it.

I am not criticizing people who like that stuff, but that's just how I see it.

Speaking of FPS, I did the whole BF3 single player campaign yesterday. I know the game is geared toward online and I can see that with the REALLY impressive map/environment design, but the single thing was pretty fun while it lasted. Quality of combat isn't as good as of other games I played like Killzone 3 or Bulletstorm (or MW3 which I guess is a better comparison) where everything feels smoother and more precise, but it's good. Some of the weapons I picked up felt really nice.

To fans of this game, just my opinion, but the game has 2 serious flaws. And I'm not talking about the sky that doesn't move. First, there is no cover system. I just finished that Deus Ex game and that has a wonderful cover system where you can hide/pop out/shoot. Something like this is a must for a FPS game for obvious reasons. Sticking out your entire body a little bit and getting shot right away isn't cool. Second, there is a problem with poor programming in that you aim your reticle outside of a wall or tree and you see you cleared it and yet when you shoot, it still gets stuck in that invisible zone around the object. Yet, when you yourself stick out as much as a hair, you can get shot by somebody too easily. Pretty frustrating. Numerous times, I would try shooting someone and had them in my reticle, but that invisible zone to the wall next to me still wouldn't let my shot past it. That's poor, inaccurate, programming.

I didn't try the online portion of the game yet.. maybe I will later.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:09 am

twc, when you were finishing up Lego LOTR, did you have issues with getting the last brick at Amon Hen (sp?). I've run into an issue where the brick where you have to kill the moles keeps reappearing. I got it like 10 times before I finally gave up. I had to look up what the issue was, and it seems a lot of people have this issue, and actually directly below that one is a cave where the last brick is located, and the mole one is a glitch where it keeps reappearing so it is very confusing. Just wondering if you ran into that. I have to try the cave one still because I gave up and went to bed.

I'm down to 12 more bricks and 4 characters needed!
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby the wicked child on Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:45 am

Hmm... Don't remember that one.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kaizer on Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:33 am

dying every 5 minutes

if you survive 5 minutes at a time, youre the 13 year old pro.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby meow on Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:37 am

newarenanow wrote:twc, when you were finishing up Lego LOTR, did you have issues with getting the last brick at Amon Hen (sp?). I've run into an issue where the brick where you have to kill the moles keeps reappearing. I got it like 10 times before I finally gave up. I had to look up what the issue was, and it seems a lot of people have this issue, and actually directly below that one is a cave where the last brick is located, and the mole one is a glitch where it keeps reappearing so it is very confusing. Just wondering if you ran into that. I have to try the cave one still because I gave up and went to bed.

I'm down to 12 more bricks and 4 characters needed!

I believe that happened to me. I had to tag my wife in so there were two of us whacking those moles to get it. It took us a few times, but we got it finally.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:39 am

Kaizer wrote:
dying every 5 minutes

if you survive 5 minutes at a time, youre the 13 year old pro.

Or you found a really good hiding spot
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:20 pm

About the cover system for BF3, I think DICE wanted to specifically keep the game fast paced - those types of systems slow the game down. That's the opposite of what they want for an arcade-y shooter.

Sarcastic, if you want another good single player campaign, give the last Medal of Honor (Warfighter) a shot. It's on the same engine as BF3, and sadly, the game was a big flop - very few multiplayer servers are populated. The single player was very good.

I've heard good things about a free-to-play version of Ghost Recon (http://www.ubi.com/US/Games/Info.aspx?pId=9814) - it has a cover system and is much more tactical.

Another game that's in beta is ARMA 3. A very, very, very, very slow tactical game that might just have the cover system you are looking for. I watched a gameplay tutorial and it showed like 9 different stances for your soldier character. Yeah.

I haven't played it yet - it's a beta you have to pay for, but may try it out later.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tifosi77 on Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:37 pm

Second vote for MOH. I thought both titles in the reboot were very good, much more interesting than COD. Was pleased that Wrafighter just followed the SEALs and didn't bounce around to various other units.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ajh2298 on Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:45 pm

tifosi77 wrote:Second vote for MOH. I thought both titles in the reboot were very good, much more interesting than COD. Was pleased that Wrafighter just followed the SEALs and didn't bounce around to various other units.

Ditto this both MOH games had very good but short single player campaigns.

You can get the first one used at Gamestop for $4.99 at least for the 360 anyway.
ajh2298
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:48 pm

I'll never forget the first time I stormed Omaha Beach in the old MOH games. What a moment.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:10 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:I'll never forget the first time I stormed Omaha Beach in the old MOH games. What a moment.

Yeah, that was one excellent game -- single and multiplayer both. I might need to reinstall it. Probably would work on my S3. :lol:
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Spangler on Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:42 pm

Best Buy had a Black Friday in July sale, and I picked up Assassin's Creed 3 for $15 after using a $5 rewards coupon. I couldn't pass that deal up.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby the wicked child on Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:11 pm

I should probably just set Skyrim down at this point, but the completionist in me hates leaving unfinished quests... and new ones pop up constantly, so unless I make a conscious effort to stop playing it, it will continue. :scared:
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR