Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby Godric on Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:57 am

EDIT: I am going crazy!

I made the wrong post in the wrong thread
Last edited by Godric on Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby count2infinity on Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:58 am

It's whatever fits into your lifestyle better and what you personally like better. Do I give a crap about pc gaming? No. I don't have the equipment for it and don't want the equipment for it. I have an xbox that just sits next to my TV and I play it. It fits my lifestyle much better than a gaming PC would. I don't think that one is better than the other, it depends on what you personally like.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:34 am

To each his own, but as a BF3 PC player, we have to suffer a gimped game because of 5-6 year old console hardware. DICE began BF3 with the PC as the lead platform, but switched to console when the release deadline was nearing. DICE developers have stressed they want the game to be identical (code-wise) across all three platforms.

My main beef with it being a console port is how patches and updates are relayed to users. Instead of launching small incremental updates like in the past, we have to wait for huge patches and updates (usually 4-5 months, usually coinciding with DLC releases). They are beginning to issue server-side patches which can fix minor settings issues, however.

Bugs and glitches like the infamous M26 DART glitch (where it would do 300+ damage if equipped on certain weapons, making it way overpowered) should have been patched very quickly, as it was a few lines of bad code. From what I understand, and perhaps tifosi can clarify, Microsoft and Sony charge a fee to test patches and updates. EA doesn't want to pay $20K+ each time a patch drops, so they wait until DLC to launch patches. I read somewhere where new content isn't subject to this fee, although the incoming revenue might offset any fees by the console makers.

I'm a realist - I know that there was no way DICE/EA could ignore the consoles - at any one time, there are more Xbox or PS3 users playing BF3 than PC players. I just wish they were in different development cycles, although that would be a nightmare for the developers.

That being said, I'll probably be in line for a Wii U in November. And probably the next generation Xbox or PS3, in a few years. :lol:
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby newarenanow on Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:46 am

I like the simplicity of the original NES. It rules above all.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Spangler on Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:34 am

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Bugs and glitches like the infamous M26 DART glitch (where it would do 300+ damage if equipped on certain weapons, making it way overpowered) should have been patched very quickly, as it was a few lines of bad code. From what I understand, and perhaps tifosi can clarify, Microsoft and Sony charge a fee to test patches and updates. EA doesn't want to pay $20K+ each time a patch drops, so they wait until DLC to launch patches. I read somewhere where new content isn't subject to this fee, although the incoming revenue might offset any fees by the console makers.

You're right about the fees for patches. I've been playing a lot of ME3 multiplayer, and there's some major bugs that haven't been fixed since release because patches take so long.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby JeffDFD on Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:07 pm

When I am playing video games I want to turn off my brain pretty much...I don't want to deal with a PC, and I dont want to use a desktop anymore. I just don't really have the time and energy to keep up with PC gaming, upgrading a computer, tweaking settings, etc...I used to play games on the PC a lot in college and it was a lot more customizeable and easier to get exactly what you want - tweak/edit settings, etc...but with all of those additional options comes additional problems/hassles. You may get a "better" gaming experience with a PC, but I think you get an easier more relaxing gaming experience with a console...which makes it better to me right now. Just sit down, pick up the controller and you can be on par with everyone else.

I miss being able to make a server for TFC that only played like the 3 boards I wanted, that only allowed the number of people I wanted, etc - or playing half life and turning off gravity or crazy stuff like that just for fun...but that stuff took work to set up and get going (sv_gravity 999999)
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:32 pm

I find console gaming a lot more convenient and, since I know how to hook up a mouse and keyboard to my ps3, I have mostly moved to playing on the ps3. I know I said before that it even surprises me because I was dead set against console gaming for the longest time. I still feel pc gaming is superior (stronger machine + modding community), but it's mostly the convenience factor for me. I don't have to worry about compatibility problems I sometimes ran across with my pc, errors, graphic card issues, plus - I would never buy a pc game again that has some kind of heavy protection on it that either spies or allows only a few installs.

Not sure why this is an argument. Some great titles are exclusive, so it's a good idea to have two gaming systems anyway.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:46 pm

So. Umm.

I know I said that I hated Borderlands when I tried it a little. But they have that for free on PSN now, so after reading so many 4 and 5 star reviews on Amazon, I broke down and decided to give it a good try to see what the heck those people are talking about.

I'm now level 22 and I think I'm done with the first town (Fyrestone) because I could have sworn I got some kind of trophy about that and also it's telling me to go to the next town/settlement.

This game is fun. I admit. I was wrong. It's not an adult FPS like Killzone or Resistance, but it's fun and there is a lot of stuff to do. AI is really bad. They basically run right at you. But it's still fun mowing them down or blowing them up. I got a sniper rifle with the blast element and when I shoot someone in the head it explodes and there are chunks of stuff on the ground. Corrosive element SMG is awesome. I mean, I'm having fun.

When I first got a car, I think I swore at the tv for a minute because the driving system felt so stupid, but then I realized it's similar to driving in a pc game and now I'm driving around like a maniac.

I got the 4 DLC packs for $10. So right there, with PSN Plus, I got it all for $10, instead of $30.

I am playing it with mouse and keyboard. I got it set up so nice, it feels like a pc game.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:35 pm

Playing the Torchlight 2 demo... seems pretty fun so far.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby offsides on Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:10 pm

Been playing Kingdom of Amalur, Reckoning for around 30 hours. Pretty good RPG with a really nice combat system. Looks like I'll be putting quite a few evenings in this since it looks like hockey won't be around for awhile.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Chefpatrick871 on Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:42 pm

Godric wrote:
Chefpatrick871 wrote:Console > PC

Why you ask?

Because I can go to any store and buy any game and NOT have to think "hey do I have the right requirements to run this game".

"Yes I do, an XBOX"

LOLOLOLOL.

Salty.

PC Gaming >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Console Gaming

I don't really get where this is at all "salty". It's an opinion backed by my reasons for said opinion. :roll:
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Not saying I'm at your mom's house, not saying I'm not.

Postby Shyster on Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:47 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:A space ship management game with 8-bit graphics and music, funded by the community on kickstarter, and it is getting rave reviews. Bought it this morning for $9 and can't wait to get home and play it.

FTL is fun, but it’s frickin’ hard. I usually only get maybe a sector or two before biting the vacuum of space. I hate enemy ships with teleporters. They beam over a boarding party and promptly slaughter my crew, and it’s not easy to replace crew members.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby the wicked child on Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:20 pm

Playing Torchlight 2. This game is a lot of fun, though I'm not sure it will ever consume the kind of time that Diablo 2 did.

I didn't really play the original much beyond the beginning of the demo, so I'm not sure how much the pet has changed... But damn is it awesome. Being able to use them as a second inventory and then sending them back to town to sell when full while you continue exploring is a revelation. I haven't had a need to take advantage of the shopping list yet, but what another nice feature.

Add in the fact that they seem to be more intelligent and overly useful than the typical D2 hireling and you have a win.

I love that you collect gold by just walking over it instead of having to click every damn pile.

Haven't played multiplayer, but the fact that each player gets their own loot drops is awesome. No more worrying about some punk sniping an item you wanted.

Kinda concerned about overall length given the number of acts, but at $20 this game is well worth it. Once the inevitable Steam sales happen, any fan of these style games would be remiss not to pick it up.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shyster on Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:31 pm

Made it to the last sector on FTL in easy mode, but couldn’t kill the rebel mothership before it took out the Federation headquarters. In the last couple sections the enemy ships had much thicker shields, and none of the stores sold me better guns. When I ran out of missiles versus the mothership, its shields were strong enough that my guns couldn’t get through them. I did get the achievement for having one member of each race on board my ship at the same time.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DocEmrick on Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:39 pm

DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shyster on Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Made it to the last sector on FTL in easy mode, but couldn’t kill the rebel mothership before it took out the Federation headquarters. In the last couple sections the enemy ships had much thicker shields, and none of the stores sold me better guns. When I ran out of missiles versus the mothership, its shields were strong enough that my guns couldn’t get through them. I did get the achievement for having one member of each race on board my ship at the same time.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Chefpatrick871 on Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:43 pm

Damn, Doc busted that combo before it was even a combo.
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Not saying I'm at your mom's house, not saying I'm not.

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:52 pm

Garry's Mod clips are the best Jerry, the best
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby the wicked child on Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:55 am

One complaint with Torchlight 2... There seems to be an inane cap on how many points you can put into a particular skill per level. This gets very frustrating after awhile when you have to wait 7 levels to put another point in something... Doesn't make sense.

I know there was somewhat of a cap in D2, but it made sense... Something like character level - level you can learn the skill + 1.

This almost seems like 1 point per 7-9 levels... Though I don't recall it being that way early on. It seems like the gap grows as you put points into the skill or something.

Seriously retarded though. I should be able to put all of my points into the skills I want to use.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Loaf31 on Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:05 pm

Anyone play FIFA 13 for PS3? I am looking to get into a club and play
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby the errey i breathe on Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:24 am

Loaf31 wrote:Anyone play FIFA 13 for PS3? I am looking to get into a club and play

Ditto but for 360
the errey i breathe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby AlexPKeaton on Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:56 pm

Shyster wrote:Made it to the last sector on FTL in easy mode, but couldn’t kill the rebel mothership before it took out the Federation headquarters. In the last couple sections the enemy ships had much thicker shields, and none of the stores sold me better guns. When I ran out of missiles versus the mothership, its shields were strong enough that my guns couldn’t get through them. I did get the achievement for having one member of each race on board my ship at the same time.

I haven't made it that far yet. Game is a lot of fun but very much relies on luck of the draw. I need to explore more before I jump to the next system to maximize the credit stuff. You probably figured it out already, but the easiest way to take out a boarding party is to upgrade your doors. If they are near an exit you can just vent the oxygen by opening hte outside doors and they will die off before they can get through the door. If not, you can just slowly take down their health by sending your crew in and pulling them out when they get low, heal up, and repeat until dead. The key is upgrading your doors to max.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rylan on Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:37 pm

Getting Sleeping Dogs this weekend, it better be good or I will be disappoint.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shyster on Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:56 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:The key is upgrading your doors to max.

I'll spend more scrap on that. I’ve found that boarding parties aren’t too bad to deal with on easy mode, but on normal they can really wreck your ship, especially if you don’t have too many crew members. It helps to have some of the crew members that look like bugs, as they are really good in hand-to-hand combat.

Personally, I think the two difficulty settings should be re-labeled as “normal” and “hard” instead of “easy” and “normal.” Playing on normal I usually bite the cold vacuum of space before crossing more than two or three sectors . I’ve never even made it halfway across the sector map on that setting.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby 71Aj66ax87 on Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:57 pm

Parasite Eve.
71Aj66ax87
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to NHR