Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby Pen48guins on Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:41 am

My wife randomly wanted a Nitendo 3ds. So we went and got her one. So I have been playing Mario Bros. 2 before bed.

Other then that, I finally got a graphics card in my computer that can handle a thing or two. Lots of ARMA II, Day Z mod, and Invasion 44 mod. I love the Invasion 44 mod, just wished more people played.

Got a whole bunch of play by email games going on in Combat Mission. I'm on a game-a-thon. I don't think my wife has ever seen this big of my nerd side. I haven't had a PC capable of playing many games a year or two before I met her.
Pen48guins
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:58 am

I haven't played any games in almost 2 weeks. I think that is the longest stretch since I was like 6.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:00 am

Started playing Guild Wars 2. Very enjoyable game thus far, but really wish it had world PVP :(
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Froggy on Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:43 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:Started playing Guild Wars 2. Very enjoyable game thus far, but really wish it had world PVP :(

i was gonna check out guild wars 2, but after what they did to city of heroes, i'm REALLY hesitant to play another NCsoft title.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:09 am

Looking for a gently used Wii. Perferbly with some old school games such as Mario downloaded onto it. If anybody has a Wii that's just collecting dust...I'd love to take it off your hands.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:16 am

Sleeping Dogs is a top notch game.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Spangler on Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:45 am

GameSpot gave RE6 a 4.5! Oooooouuuuuch.

I'm still going to play through it to judge it myself. Other reviews were more forgiving. 4.5 seems like an overreaction.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Shyster on Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:55 pm

I still haven’t been able to kill the rebel mothership in FTL, even on easy mode. That ship is just massively stronger than any other enemy in the game, and (mild spoiler):
Spoiler:
You have to fight the damn thing at least three times. It’s like an old Castlevania game where just when you think you’ve killed Dracula, he transforms into some other form and keeps fighting. The first and second times you fight the mothership, hammering its hull down to zero only blows off one of the “wings” on either side. And even if you destroy all its weapons on an earlier encounter, those guns will be firing again during a subsequent fight.

I have managed to unlock more of the other ships in the game. I think I still need the Slug ship, and I’m pretty sure there is another unlockable ship related to stasis tubes full of crystals that I occasionally run across.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sarcastic on Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:21 pm

Did you guys play the Resident Evil 6 demo? OMG. I bought RE5 Gold Edition a long time ago, but still haven't had the time to play it, so I don't remember if you can move and shoot at the same time. But in this RE6, you can move and shoot and it feels like a regular shooter. Graphics are so amazing. I played it last night, in the dark, and I was blown away. Characters look so huge, they take up half the screen. You get samples from 3 separate campaigns (different parts of the word/different characters) in the demo. Let me know what you think when youy try it...
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:28 pm

Rylan wrote:Sleeping Dogs is a top notch game.

Tried that demo too. Looks good with the colors and light effects. I thought the fighting system was strange. It works. Not sure if I found it exciting. Well, using objects on people was amazing, but the actual fighting was a bit stiff with only 1 button. I think you get to unlock a lot of differnet moves as you progress which will make it a lot better. Character movement could have been a little more fluid. Too bad you couldn't sample the driving aspect in the demo. It's a game on my list to try again and/or buy when cheap.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:30 pm

Sarcastic wrote:Did you guys play the Resident Evil 6 demo? OMG. I bought RE5 Gold Edition a long time ago, but still haven't had the time to play it, so I don't remember if you can move and shoot at the same time. But in this RE6, you can move and shoot and it feels like a regular shooter. Graphics are so amazing. I played it last night, in the dark, and I was blown away. Characters look so huge, they take up half the screen. You get samples from 3 separate campaigns (different parts of the word/different characters) in the demo. Let me know what you think when youy try it...

Was not a fan of the demo at all.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:46 pm

What didn't you like? Everything screamed quality and the setting looked like the ultimate zombies/horror game.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:18 am

New SimCity is out in February:

Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby stopper40 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:31 am

Anyone ever play Darksiders or darksiders 2? Was looking for something new to play and they looked interesting
Last edited by stopper40 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
stopper40
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby eddysnake on Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:32 am

Jaws Revenge on my phone. repetitive, but its fun to eat humans in the water.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:34 am

anyone remember the timesplitter games? I think I played it on gamecube, that game was pretty rad, anyone know if they still make those?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby AlexPKeaton on Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:42 am

stopper40 wrote:Anyone ever play Darksiders or darksiders 2? Was looking for something new to play and they looked interesting

Wait until tuesday and obtain XCOM. That will be my game of the year easily.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Spangler on Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:52 pm

Sarcastic wrote:Did you guys play the Resident Evil 6 demo? OMG. I bought RE5 Gold Edition a long time ago, but still haven't had the time to play it, so I don't remember if you can move and shoot at the same time. But in this RE6, you can move and shoot and it feels like a regular shooter. Graphics are so amazing. I played it last night, in the dark, and I was blown away. Characters look so huge, they take up half the screen. You get samples from 3 separate campaigns (different parts of the word/different characters) in the demo. Let me know what you think when youy try it...

I bought RE6 despite the shaky reviews. I'm currently in the middle of Chris's campaign. Can't form a solid opinion of the game yet. I like the idea of putting him in a strike team, but at the same time there's too many characters, erasing any kind of tension. Ammo is less plentiful, but not like the early RE games.

One really cool aspect of the multiplayer system, is the ability to intersect with other player's campaigns. At one point in the game I joined up with someone playing Jake and Sherry. We didn't interfere too much within our games, but their presence was known.

So far, the game feels too 'actiony' to my liking. The biggest problem with it is, when the game tries to throw in a scary section (one in Chris's campaign was really cool), there is no real reason to be scared. So what if this is supposed to be a threat, I just killed literally 1000 enemies beforehand. It desensitizes you to the threat. In old RE games, any enemy you came across was a cause of concern, and if a horde of zombies suddenly appeared, you weren't prepared at all.

My last concern is the linear progression in RE6. The thing I missed the most in RE was the exploration like the previous REs up to Code Veronica. I love games that let you explore like Fallout and Elder Scrolls. There's something satisfying about discovering what's behind this door that's been closed for half the game.

Again, I'm only about a quarter of the way through, so I don't know what's in store. Maybe some things will change.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby the wicked child on Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:58 pm

Apparently Rhode Island isn't the only one paying for the 38 Studios debacle... Had no idea Schilling was involved.

http://m.espn.go.com/mlb/story?storyId=8460451
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:16 pm

There was a fantastic lengthy article about how badly Schilling mismanaged that company. He had no business clue at all. I'll see if I can dig it up.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby stopper40 on Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:50 am

AlexPKeaton wrote:
stopper40 wrote:Anyone ever play Darksiders or darksiders 2? Was looking for something new to play and they looked interesting

I still play the original one occasionally. Aside from the heat graphics being different, I don't see how this game will be any different
stopper40
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby stopper40 on Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:50 am

AlexPKeaton wrote:

I still play the original one occasionally. Aside from the graphics being different, I don't see how this game will be any different
Last edited by stopper40 on Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stopper40
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby the wicked child on Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:58 am

They sounded interesting, but didn't get particularly good ratings from what I can tell. I asked about them awhile back... one person said they had played the first one and never finished it.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby viva la ben on Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:01 pm

Im starting red dead redemption goty edition when the kids go to bed.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:19 pm

Finally got my Planetside 2 beta key...installing now...
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to NHR