Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby the wicked child on Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:13 pm

Finished the first run through Torchlight 2 and started a new game +. Overall, I <3 this game.

My only real complaints would be that I wish there was more of a transition between Act 3 and the... Epilogue? Not really a full act. Also, as stated earlier, I hate the way they limit how many points can be put into a skill at a particular time.

Otherwise, I had a blast. Will be fun to go back and try the other classes, or even play the engineer differently. For $20, this almost feels like a steal, tbh.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Godric on Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:37 pm

Drool.

It would be cooler if it was in Latin with subtitles though...

I might have to upgrade my PC for this.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby Rylan on Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:54 pm

Rome Total War was awesome. But alas I am terrible at it. And always lose haha
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:01 am

Was going to start Metroid Other M, but haven't had much time as I've been busy at work and have little time. So I picked up Lego Star Wars III since those games are more simple and easy to fit in for shorter playing time whenever I get a chance.

I'm about 10% of the way through. To be honest, this is my least favorite so far out of all the Lego games. It's just difficult to figure out, and probably because I don't know the story line, I just feel lost. I don't really like the setup either. But I'll play through it.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:28 am

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Finally got my Planetside 2 beta key...installing now...

Well how is it??
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:42 am

AlexPKeaton wrote:

Well how is it??

I got to play all of about 10 minutes this weekend. Despite being at or slightly above all of the recommended specs, I wasn't pleased with the performance. Granted it's a beta, and there will be some optimization, it still lagged at low settings. It will take some getting used to after playing smaller games for so many years...epic battles with dozens of people are very impressive.

My 6 year old got on and managed to teamkill (unintentionally) and earned a gun lock - none of his/our weapons would work for a length of time. Interesting way to deal with TKers. :lol:

I hope to get back on this week, and give a more in depth review. I am not pleased to see an "optional" subscription model, however. The game (when launched) will be free to play, but there will be a monthly subscription model where you get increased XP, in game money, and resources in exchange for $14.99 a month. I don't they can keep the playing field level offering this. My friends who are MMORPG veterans have no issue with paying a subscription fee, but I've never been into those games, primarily for the monthly fee. We'll see how it works when the game officially launches...
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby the wicked child on Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:44 am

newarenanow wrote:Was going to start Metroid Other M, but haven't had much time as I've been busy at work and have little time. So I picked up Lego Star Wars III since those games are more simple and easy to fit in for shorter playing time whenever I get a chance.

I'm about 10% of the way through. To be honest, this is my least favorite so far out of all the Lego games. It's just difficult to figure out, and probably because I don't know the story line, I just feel lost. I don't really like the setup either. But I'll play through it.

You're merely delaying the pain of Other M.

Also, 3 weeks until Lego LOTR hits.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:14 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:

Well how is it??

I got to play all of about 10 minutes this weekend. Despite being at or slightly above all of the recommended specs, I wasn't pleased with the performance. Granted it's a beta, and there will be some optimization, it still lagged at low settings. It will take some getting used to after playing smaller games for so many years...epic battles with dozens of people are very impressive.

My 6 year old got on and managed to teamkill (unintentionally) and earned a gun lock - none of his/our weapons would work for a length of time. Interesting way to deal with TKers. :lol:

I hope to get back on this week, and give a more in depth review. I am not pleased to see an "optional" subscription model, however. The game (when launched) will be free to play, but there will be a monthly subscription model where you get increased XP, in game money, and resources in exchange for $14.99 a month. I don't they can keep the playing field level offering this. My friends who are MMORPG veterans have no issue with paying a subscription fee, but I've never been into those games, primarily for the monthly fee. We'll see how it works when the game officially launches...

That is an interesting pay scheme. I like the way GW2 does it so far, pay once, and they have a small amount of items to buy for cash, but you can convert the in game gold to the cash (I believe) if you happen to have a lot of it. But the stuff you buy is like one time use xp boosters, cosmetic skins for your armor and stuff, and keys for lockboxes. Kind of exactly like TF2's system.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:46 pm

The introduction of that system in TF2 made me completely stop playing. I used to love playing 2Fort for hours, but it just got absolutely ridiculous with the over-the-top add-ons and what not that literally filled up my entire screen. Especially the frigging hats.

I wish there was a version of that game (besides TF Classic) that you could play without all of that nonsense.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:50 pm

I haven't played TF2 since they changed it to P2P. I actually paid $$$ for that game. :lol:
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby JeffDFD on Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:29 pm

"Playstation Guy" in trouble for playing the Wii

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/10/07/sony- ... -contract/
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rylan on Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:31 pm

Idiot.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:35 am

Dishonored is mine
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:37 am

SolidSnake wrote:Dishonored is mine

I want to get this. Give an impressions review please when you can.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:09 am

XCOM finished loading on Steam. However I didn't have time to play it this morning.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:28 am

the wicked child wrote:You're merely delaying the pain of Other M.

Also, 3 weeks until Lego LOTR hits.

It's that bad huh? Still going to play it just to complete the series on the main systems.

Can't wait for Lego LOTR, although I usually will wait until the price drop. Lego games usually drop pretty quickly. Batman 2 is already down to 29.99, and I"m sure once LOTR comes out, Batman 2 will drop to 19.99 and I'll pick it up then. That's probably next on the list, although I will have some time to play Other M over the holidays.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby the wicked child on Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:34 am

Metroid is one if my favorite series... Other M had the potential to be good, but they really screwed the pooch with some bad design decisions. They really ruin the game for me. Also, the game is very heavy on the story, which is unusual for a Metroid game... but the story itself is annoying because of the way Samus is portrayed. I just can't see myself ever picking it up again.... which is shocking to hear me say about a Metroid game. I suppose the 2 DS games are worse, although Pinball isn't really a Metroid game I guess.

I also generaly wait for the price drop on those games... but not sure if I can for LOTR. :)
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:23 am

XCOM is really awesome. Getting that feeling from the original. The only way to play it though, is with Ironman on. This prevents you from reloading an earlier save, you can only save and quit and rely on autosaves, but if someone dies the game automatically autosaves it.

So my veteran squad of Dutch, Billy, Dillon, Mac, and Starbuck were all injured except for Dillon. I then received an option of 3 various abduction sites to raid. I took the one in Russia because they were already at a high panic level, but I should have considered that my vets were injured as the difficulty level was estimated to be Very Hard. So Dillon rolled in with a squad of rookies, and they got decimated. RIP Carl Dillon Weathers.

So Russia is now in a huge panic. But then only 2 days later the aliens hit very hard again, landing somewhere in africa and slaughtering civilians. Luckily, Dutch is back in action, however the rest of my vets are still out. But Lt. Dutch is enough to lead a new squad of rookies to victory! Fanning out the rookies in a V shape with his mini gun in the center, XCOM was able to save over half the civilians and restore order to Africa.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby the errey i breathe on Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:15 am

Finished my first season in FIFA 13 manager mode. Won Serie A & the supercoppa with Milan, needed a late goal against Siena to tie and edge out Juventus by a point. Winning the league apparently convinced the board to show me the money as they immediately upped my transfer budget from 24MM to 79MM. Added Neymar for 30MM (and sent Robinho to Santos) and now have a pretty solid team that I'm excited to try out through the champions league.

Pato-86
Boateng-85
Nocerino-85
Neymar-85
El Sharaawy-82
Emmanuelson-80

Just need to tighten up the back line a bit because I'm using one of my youth team GKs and although he has potential, he stinks, and Abate is the only player worth a lick back there but oftentimes is further upfield than my CAM.

EDIT: I really like the player growth in this game. El Sharaawy started at a 76 but played out of his mind through the first season and finished at 82. On the flip side, Mexes was constantly getting beaten and dropped from 81-77 then finished the season at 79 and this is without the "in form" options where it adjusts to real world performance. It's awesome to see players you are able to use well get a bump in stats while those who don't fit your style of play suffer in their ratings. Made me a lot more cautious during the transfer period.
Last edited by the errey i breathe on Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
the errey i breathe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Godric on Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:18 am

the errey i breathe wrote: Added Neymar for 30MM

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby the errey i breathe on Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:23 am

Godric wrote:
the errey i breathe wrote: Added Neymar for 30MM

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

As awesome as he is to play with (through the friendlies) El Sharaawy is an animal. Constantly dispossessing sloppy CB's with low ball skills and making big plays. I read somewhere he has the potential to grow to 87-89, which would be awesome because he's an absolute terror as an 82. Bayern offered 79 MM for him but I forgot about it and the offer expired :face:
the errey i breathe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby AlexPKeaton on Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:22 am

stopper40 wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:
stopper40 wrote:Anyone ever play Darksiders or darksiders 2? Was looking for something new to play and they looked interesting

Wait until tuesday and obtain XCOM. That will be my game of the year easily.

I still play the original one occasionally. Aside from the graphics being different, I don't see how this game will be any different

It has been about 10 or so years since I played the original. But the differences are basically that the new XCOM does not have free aim, so you can't shoot out boxes and stuff. But you can free aim with rockets and still blow up stuff so not a huge difference. The maps seem a little smaller, but I'm going on memory here so maybe not.

The big difference is that the strategy "meta game" seems to have more depth. You have to prioritize building different upgrades to your base over building new items and researching new stuff and that kind of stuff. Very Civ-like in this regard, which is really cool. Also, every country has a panic level, and if it gets too high they bail out. So sometimes you have to choose which country you want to do your next mission in, and so sometimes you have to choose a country with a lesser of a reward (or a higher than you would like difficulty) in order to reduce the panic level.

The game is deeper than I thought a modern remake of XCOM would be, considering they are trying to sell this to the console cretins. Although I think the consolized interface is a bit of a negative, so I wish they would have just stuck to PC only. But hey if you console only players want actual games made for your platform instead of silly interactive movies, you should get this game.

Firaxes said that the PC version will get mod tools, so if you have the option still grab it on PC.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rylan on Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:17 pm

Rigs of Rods is a fun time waster on the computer.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:59 pm

http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazet ... weaknesses

Article on the pros and cons of the WiiU.

In a nutshell, if you are a Xbox/PS/PC hardcore gamer, you will still continue to ignore the WiiU. The hardware is updated, but only to the level slightly above the Xbox360 and PS3, which is 7 years old technology. Early on, there will be a lot of popular crossover games because of this, but once the PS4 and Xbox720 come out, the WiiU will lose out on a lot of these games.

The pros continue to be the inovative gaming, and the nostalgia of the Nintendo first party games. If you are a fan of that (like me) you will like the Wii U.

But he feels that overall, Nintendo continues to fall behind because they choose to push for "new and inovative" gaming instead of "power and speed" of the hardware to develop more hardcore type games.

Said Nintendo continues to fail to realize this.

Honestly, and I'm a HUGE Nintendo fan, I can see Nintendo falling out of the platforming race in the next generation and possibly just sticking to making games and possibly selling them off to Microsoft or Sony.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:51 pm

Nintendo makes a lot of money selling underpowered boxes though. Everyone wants the Mario Machine. Props to them though, they do try to innovate, even if it is in a direction not targeted towards me.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to NHR