Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby Rylan on Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:02 pm

tifosi77 wrote:Okay, Far Cry 3.......... has anyone battled the Ink Monster yet? After the first bit of shooting the guy in the face with the bow and exploding arrows, you get attacked by these.... things...... that I can't defeat. Grrr.

And is it weird that I find Citra insanely hot? I know there's supposedly a crazy plot twist involving her late in the game, but yowza. She's right up there with Chloe from Uncharted in terms of video game hotties.

The Ink Monster battle was frustrating to say the least. Those monsters incidentally caused me no issues. Just unload arrows and move around a lot. Staying still gets you killed in that game.

Citra...was interesting.

Chloe had a sexy voice. Too bad Claudia Black wasn't born in the late to mid 80s or early 90s...I would totes chase that tail.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Spangler on Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:33 pm

Rylan wrote:If you have not played The Walking Dead video game by Tell-Tale games you are missing out. Remember my rant on how bad story has become in video games? Well, this game had story and some. There are actually wtf moments and quite a few decisions that are incredibly tough to deal with. While its not really a game rather than an interactive story I found myself enjoying it immensely. Unbelievably fun.

I just bought the game yesterday with my Best Buy gift card. It came out to $8.

I haven't played that long, but so far I'm enthralled. I have a question though, does the game signify when you complete an episode, or is it seamless (if you have multiple episodes)? I'm not sure how long the episodes are.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rylan on Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:57 pm

Spangler wrote:
Rylan wrote:If you have not played The Walking Dead video game by Tell-Tale games you are missing out. Remember my rant on how bad story has become in video games? Well, this game had story and some. There are actually wtf moments and quite a few decisions that are incredibly tough to deal with. While its not really a game rather than an interactive story I found myself enjoying it immensely. Unbelievably fun.

I just bought the game yesterday with my Best Buy gift card. It came out to $8.

I haven't played that long, but so far I'm enthralled. I have a question though, does the game signify when you complete an episode, or is it seamless (if you have multiple episodes)? I'm not sure how long the episodes are.

Yea, you will know when an episode ends. It will do a, "Next time on The Walking Dead....(scenes from the next episode where they guess based on your play what your reaction or story will be)" then credits. It will take you to the main menu where you will then go through loading the next episode. This will then give you a "Previously on The Walking Dead...(scenes from past episode(s)" and go into the new episode.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Spangler on Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:06 pm

Ok, good, I was worried I was blending into the next episode based on the episodes stills I've seen before I played. Was making me think the episodes were shorter than expected.

By the way, I found it incredibly powerful having to wack a zombie in the face multiple times to kill it. By "powerfull" I don't mean physical strength, but rather emotionally impacting. You don't get that quick death one would expect. It really puts some weight behind what you are doing.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rylan on Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:09 pm

It gets better emotionally. Hell this game finally drove home the point that The Walking Dead is not talking about the zombies, but the actual "survivors." I couldn't believe how gripping the game was and was a fantastic change of pace. Good luck, the journey is amazing.

It took me like 10-12 hours to beat it I think. But I would kind of kill time talking to everyone I met a lot.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JeffDFD on Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:37 pm

I have never really been into the GTA games...I did play GTA3 a lot and did play Saints Row 1...I would enjoy the other GTA or Saints Row games, but haven't found myself interested. I did play and love Red Dead Redemption (same guys as the GTA games)...beat 100% of the game so I did it all and it was awesome. I love those games where you can essentially waste an entire day (what a nerd/loser) playing and having a blast and continue 0% of the story line. I jumped and was legitimately shocked for a second while I was hunting and chasing a deer or something and got close to the mountains and a freaking mountain lion came out of nowhere, knocked me off my horse, and eventually killed me as I panicked and tried to see what weapon I currently had that could hold it off. Good stuff.

I think I was interested because it was different then the random crime games...it had the whole western setting...something new and different.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby skullman80 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:41 pm

Rylan wrote:It gets better emotionally. Hell this game finally drove home the point that The Walking Dead is not talking about the zombies, but the actual "survivors." I couldn't believe how gripping the game was and was a fantastic change of pace. Good luck, the journey is amazing.

It took me like 10-12 hours to beat it I think. But I would kind of kill time talking to everyone I met a lot.

I concur. Walking Dead was my goty. Got me emotionally invested big time. Highly recommended.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:44 pm

Yea, personally its a toss up between Far Cry and this for my GOTY. I may give the edge to TWD just for the sheer fact that characters and story were far more gripping than any sequence that occurred in Far Cry. I mean the ending to TWD was just amazing.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the errey i breathe on Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:48 pm

Late to the party on most games since I don't usually buy them myself but I got Dishonored for Christmas and it is fantastic. I also got assassins creed 3 and WWE '13 but have yet to play them.
the errey i breathe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Shyster on Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:58 pm

JeffDFD wrote:I think I was interested because it was different then the random crime games...it had the whole western setting...something new and different.

You might like Bully, which is also from Rockstar Games. You play a student at a private residential high school. Over the course of the game, you defeat various factions of students (jocks, nerds, greasers, preppies) to rise to the top of the pecking order. Side quests include arcade games, bicycle races, delivering food, mowing lawns, go-kart racing, carnival games, spraying graffiti, and collecting hidden items. You also have to attend classes until you manage to pass everything, and each class has different tasks to accomplish. There’s a fairly big school and town to explore. Your character is actually more of an anti-bully and is a reasonably sympathetic protagonist. I’m surprised that Rockstar has never made a sequel, as I thought it was a great game.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby viva la ben on Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:17 pm

Has anyone played Bastion? I bought it on iTunes during a 99 cent sale. It's a well polished, fun action rpg.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Spangler on Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:58 pm

Finished episode 2 of the Walking Dead, and holy ****! That had to be one of my most intense experiences playing any video game!

I actually felt a sickening feeling at the realization that I may have made a terrible decision.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rylan on Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:36 am

Episode 2 was the best episode IMO.

My order of favorite episodes is 2, 4, 5, 1, 3. Honestly 3 isn't that bad, but the other 4 are way better.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby offsides on Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:17 pm

I know the game is not for everyone, but I am having a good time playing XCOM Enemy Unknown. For those that don't know, it is a turn based combat\strategy game based on an old PC game. It can be rather challenging especially if you kick the hardness up to Clasic level.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sarcastic on Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:55 pm

Are all episodes out yet? I want to play all at once, so I've been waiting to d/l.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:58 pm

Shyster wrote:
JeffDFD wrote:I think I was interested because it was different then the random crime games...it had the whole western setting...something new and different.

You might like Bully, which is also from Rockstar Games. You play a student at a private residential high school. Over the course of the game, you defeat various factions of students (jocks, nerds, greasers, preppies) to rise to the top of the pecking order. Side quests include arcade games, bicycle races, delivering food, mowing lawns, go-kart racing, carnival games, spraying graffiti, and collecting hidden items. You also have to attend classes until you manage to pass everything, and each class has different tasks to accomplish. There’s a fairly big school and town to explore. Your character is actually more of an anti-bully and is a reasonably sympathetic protagonist. I’m surprised that Rockstar has never made a sequel, as I thought it was a great game.

Bully is on my must-try/play list and has been sitting there for 6 months. I did see PSN has it now. Not sure if I want to d/l or buy on disk for PS2.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:08 pm

I finished R&C Crack today. Was way closer to the end than I realized. I think overall I like Tools a little better because it has more of an adventurous feel, while Crack is broken into 3 parts between the Ratchet gameplay, the Clank stuff on the space clock, and the flying/space missions. But if I rate Tools a 5, Crack gets 4.5.

Next up -> Spec Ops: The Line. I'm in need of a shooter.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:12 pm

If you have PSN Plus, they have NBA JAM: On Fire Edition as a free download. I d/led it last night. OMG. I remember playing the series years ago, but this is the new and best version and I am having so much fun. Played for an hour last night. Another hour and a half today. I think this is the 'funnest' sports game I played in years. Graphics and animation, gameplay, funny commentary. All works.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:12 pm

Sarcastic wrote:

Are all episodes out yet? I want to play all at once, so I've been waiting to d/l.

Indeed they are. In fact, they are available hard copy style (what I got cause I liked the case and because my sis and I share games). If you get it, I highly recommend it.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:16 pm

Cool. I'll get Walking Dead on disk.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:19 pm

Is the disk $60? They can kiss it. I'll d/l it. Wait to add to my disk collection 6 months from now for $12. I think the first two episodes, I clicked to have as free downloads. Something. I'll figure it out.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:23 pm

rylan, I see two versions on amazon. 30 and 60 $. Whatever. I'll look into it all later.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:52 pm

God no don't pay $60. It should only be 30.

$60 might be for the game coming out next year where you play as Daryl Dixon. (Norman Reedus in the show)
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:25 pm

We got Gypsy Jr. Minecraft for the PC for Christmas. Easily the best $27 I've spent on a game, and I haven't even played it yet. :lol: He won't let me near it, lol.

Really, endless amounts of stuff for a six year old (and older) to do...
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby skullman80 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:29 pm

I think walking dead is only 30$ if you buy the disk not 60$.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR