Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby Easton on Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:50 am

Spangler wrote:
I personally consider ME2 to be "The Empire Strikes back" of the trilogy.

Absolutely agree. I played ME2 & ME3 and just now started with ME1. While 1 is great, I find it to be lacking in comparison to 2 -- especially with design choices.

But since you're just starting the series, I'd absolutely start with 1.
Easton
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:53 am

Are you saying that Empire Strikes back was the best of the original trilogy? I'd rank Star Wars 6-5-4-2-3-didn't see 1. I'd rank ME 2-3-1.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:42 pm

preorder for Zelda Wind Waker HD is up on amazon... $60 (yikes) and Dec 31, 2013 (hopefully thats not set in stone)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002I0GF72/ref=ox_ya_os_product
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Spangler on Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:20 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Are you saying that Empire Strikes back was the best of the original trilogy? I'd rank Star Wars 6-5-4-2-3-didn't see 1. I'd rank ME 2-3-1.

A lot of Star Wars fans consider it the best. To have a good game, and then follow up with something even better can draw similar comparisons.

You could replace Empire with The Dark Knight, but since ME has a Star Wars feel, Empire is a better choice.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:57 pm

JeffDFD wrote:I have told others the same thing about AC1 - Wikipedia it and go play 2 and move on from there.

It got very repetitive, but I did enjoy it quite a lot.
tifosi77
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby JeffDFD on Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:23 pm

tifosi77 wrote:
JeffDFD wrote:I have told others the same thing about AC1 - Wikipedia it and go play 2 and move on from there.

It got very repetitive, but I did enjoy it quite a lot.

The story kept me interested enough to keep playing and play the subsequent games but yeah. the repetitive parts...every harder mission was just doing more of the same thing you did less of before
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:49 pm

I've stated my opinion on Wind Waker before. I loved the game to death until I had to collect 50,000 map pieces. Then, I promptly quit the game and never finished it
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:27 pm

Just saw a commercial for "Aliens: Colonial Marines".

If the game is half as good as the advert, I might finally be able to get over "Prometheus".
tifosi77
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Froggy on Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:27 pm

Didn't you like prometheus?
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:28 pm

I hated it.

Got all geared up for it like I did for SW Episode I, and even took a day off work to go see it early, again like I did for SW Episode I. I'm still angry.
tifosi77
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Rylan on Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:03 pm

Currently playing BLOPSII, I have found myself to enjoy playing HC-CTF more than any other game mode. Though HC-S&D is a close second. But any time I play softcore modes I find out that I hate the game. So I stay in HC and rack up da kills. Just got done a 33-5 CTF game with 1 capture and 3 defends #humblebrag #onlygoodgameever
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:04 pm

But I am looking at procuring 1 of 3 titles:

Dragon's Dogma
Mass Effect Trilogy
Killzone Trilogy

Thoughts?

Also whatever happened to Sarcastic, his indie games were always interesting.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:04 pm

tifosi77 wrote:Just saw a commercial for "Aliens: Colonial Marines".

If the game is half as good as the advert, I might finally be able to get over "Prometheus".

It seems like its been in development for like half a decade.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:32 pm

Rylan wrote:Currently playing BLOPSII, I have found myself to enjoy playing HC-CTF more than any other game mode. Though HC-S&D is a close second. But any time I play softcore modes I find out that I hate the game. So I stay in HC and rack up da kills. Just got done a 33-5 CTF game with 1 capture and 3 defends #humblebrag #onlygoodgameever

I am the exact same way. HC CTF is easily my favorite game mode. I loved the stripped down nature of it, but I also love the fact that gun damage is realistic. There is nothing worse than playing core and getting about five hit markers on someone, and they are fully recovered in no time.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:45 pm

Rylan wrote:

Sega acquired the interactive rights from Fox in 2006. The title was announced two years later, but I'm not sure how much development work had gone into the game during that period. Even if you factor starting at the later date, that's still over four years in the oven.

One good thing, tho: the delays allowed them to get Michael Biehn (Hicks), Mark Rolston (Drake) and Al Matthews (Apone) to reprise their screen roles. Lance Henriksen (Bishop) and William Hope (Gorman) are in the game as well, but as new characters.
tifosi77
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby SolidSnake on Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:47 pm

tifosi77 wrote:
Rylan wrote:

Sega acquired the interactive rights from Fox in 2006. The title was announced two years later, but I'm not sure how much development work had gone into the game during that period. Even if you factor starting at the later date, that's still over four years in the oven.

One good thing, tho: the delays allowed them to get Michael Biehn (Hicks), Mark Rolston (Drake) and Al Matthews (Apone) to reprise their screen roles. Lance Henriksen (Bishop) and William Hope (Gorman) are in the game as well, but as new characters.

They should of brought in Bill Paxton to scream GAME OVER! when you die
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: "Whatcha you be smokin' cuz? you guys aren't nothing but hoopty"

Postby Spangler on Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:16 pm

Rylan wrote:But I am looking at procuring 1 of 3 titles:

Dragon's Dogma
Mass Effect Trilogy
Killzone Trilogy

Thoughts?

I've only played ME, so I'd recommend that. The only problem is, I'm basically setting you up for a giant gut punch because the ending is horrible beyond repair.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bhaw on Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:51 pm

Shyster wrote:
bhaw wrote:My mother in law just gave us her new desktop b/c they bought 2 and don't need them both (complicated story, so let's leave it at that). Looks like I may be able to play some PC games now. hp pavilion HPE h8-1117c. I know minimal about PC specs, but it's an i7 quad core with 8 GB ram. I just don't know how solid the graphics card is but given the rest of the computer, I'm assuming it's capable of playing most games.

Looking at HP’s web site, that machine has some very nice specs. The graphics card isn’t among the tip-top performers, but it’s definitely in the upper tier and a quality card. A Core i7 is an excellent gaming CPU, and the computer has plenty of memory. You just got a serious gaming rig that should be able of playing pretty much any game at a high (if not maximum) level of detail.

Just saw this... thanks for the feedback Shyster. I assumed as much, not that I do a ton of gaming. But good to know I have the option.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby malkinshair on Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:46 pm

I just picked up Tiger Woods '13 Masters Edition with a gift card I had. The new swing mechanic is different enough to make it at least somewhat challenging for a while. Putting is very different...and very difficult. It's based solely on backswing and tempo. Swing too hard and fast...blow your putt 20 feet past the hole. I just finished my first round (at Sawgrass)...shot a 78. I 4-putted one hole, and 3-putted 3 others. Even the putts I made were more luck than hitting it right. I can't remember the last over par round I've had in a TW game.

I like that this may take some time to figure out.
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:12 pm

Yeah i played tiger woods. I tried putting one time and never played the game again. Its impossible to get "feel" for something that you aren't doing.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:03 pm

So I played through The Walking Dead again, and I have concluded that I like the game more than the show. The show is good, but the game is better. Even though it feels that there aren't a lot of decisions that truly affect the game. Eventually the game boils down and that's that. I still hate Episode 3 though, it was the low point of the game IMO, but Episode 4 was the best so they didn't allow me to wallow in annoyance for long.

I just can't wait for season 2 of the game to start.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Stoosh on Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:22 pm

Easton wrote:
Spangler wrote:

Absolutely agree. I played ME2 & ME3 and just now started with ME1. While 1 is great, I find it to be lacking in comparison to 2 -- especially with design choices.

I play on the PS3, so I downloaded ME1 when it became available in December, just completed it and moved on to ME2 with the same character. I've already played through ME2 -> ME3 twice, so this will be my first play through the entire trilogy.

About 1/3 of the way into the ME2 portion of the story, I've already noticed the storyline change a little based on things I did in ME1 (as opposed to using ME2 as the starting point on my previous two play-throughs). I'll be interested to see how much more of the ME2 and ME3 storylines are impacted.

I liked ME1, but I do think ME2 and ME3 are better games. The look of the games alone became much more refined and gritty, and the story itself moved along much better in the latter two games.

That said, I still loved being able to go back and see how characters and other things were introduced into the storyline. As someone who started ME2 without any prior exposure to the story, playing through ME1 first helped put things like the distrust of Cerberus, disgust with the Council and evolution of the Reapers into much better context.

Another thing - and this was subtle but helped enhance the enjoyment of the game - was the score. The Mass Effect series contains an impressive musical score - especially ME3 - and it was cool to hear certain themes in the score carry over from one game to the next. One of my favorites was how they used Vigil's theme (heard in the title and menu screens of ME1) in some of the main transitional cutscenes in ME2 and ME3.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby offsides on Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:48 pm

Spangler wrote:
Rylan wrote:But I am looking at procuring 1 of 3 titles:

Dragon's Dogma
Mass Effect Trilogy
Killzone Trilogy

Thoughts?

I've only played ME, so I'd recommend that. The only problem is, I'm basically setting you up for a giant gut punch because the ending is horrible beyond repair.

I played and completed all 3 ME and Killzones. If you like the "story" part of a game and like to make different decisions that affect the gameplay, go with the ME series. If you want an excellent FPS with little decisions necessary, go for the Killzone series.
offsides
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Easton on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:27 am

Stoosh wrote:I play on the PS3, so I downloaded ME1 when it became available in December, just completed it and moved on to ME2 with the same character. I've already played through ME2 -> ME3 twice, so this will be my first play through the entire trilogy.

Since you're also playing through the entire trilogy the first time, I'd like to hear your opinions on ME1, which I'm still on.

Spoiler:
Do you feel ME 1 was more difficult than ME2 & ME3? I find it significantly more challenging much of the time -- not that it's incredibly hard -- and I attribute it to squad mechanics and combat design. My squad in ME1 doesn't seem to be as helpful as in the sequels. And when shooting at enemies, I don't have the feeling that I'm actually connecting with my shots. Perhaps that's a poor way to word it, but I feel the impact of each shot is felt more in ME2 & ME3. I guess that's probably due to the changeover to clips. This isn't to say combat is bad. I still enjoy it, and it's great going back through and seeing how everything developed. Also, the Mako can burn in the hottest fires of space hell.
Easton
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Spangler on Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:31 am

Stoosh wrote:
Easton wrote:
Spangler wrote:

I play on the PS3, so I downloaded ME1 when it became available in December, just completed it and moved on to ME2 with the same character. I've already played through ME2 -> ME3 twice, so this will be my first play through the entire trilogy.

About 1/3 of the way into the ME2 portion of the story, I've already noticed the storyline change a little based on things I did in ME1 (as opposed to using ME2 as the starting point on my previous two play-throughs). I'll be interested to see how much more of the ME2 and ME3 storylines are impacted.

I liked ME1, but I do think ME2 and ME3 are better games. The look of the games alone became much more refined and gritty, and the story itself moved along much better in the latter two games.

That said, I still loved being able to go back and see how characters and other things were introduced into the storyline. As someone who started ME2 without any prior exposure to the story, playing through ME1 first helped put things like the distrust of Cerberus, disgust with the Council and evolution of the Reapers into much better context.

That's what I hope to do at some point, but I need to get motivated to play 2 and 3 all over again considering I've played both 3 times already.

In ME 2 I had no problems with Cerberus because I had no idea who they were. So when all the characters were showing their disdain , I would always choose the "let's give them a chance" type of response.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to NHR