Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby Spangler on Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:47 am

Rylan wrote:So I played through The Walking Dead again, and I have concluded that I like the game more than the show. The show is good, but the game is better. Even though it feels that there aren't a lot of decisions that truly affect the game. Eventually the game boils down and that's that. I still hate Episode 3 though, it was the low point of the game IMO, but Episode 4 was the best so they didn't allow me to wallow in annoyance for long.

I just can't wait for season 2 of the game to start.

Coming from a white guy, it's great seeing a non stereotypical black guy leading a game.

I have to say though, on my second playthrough, the realizations that the decisions weren't as dynamic as I thought really disappointed me. It brought ugly flashbacks of the Mass Effect series into my mind again.

Since the game will undoubtedly have a higher budget, maybe they will make your decisions branch out better in the next season.

Spoiler:
Even though you would be missing out on an awesome scenario, it would have been cool to have something completely different happen to you if you decided to stay at the motel, instead of visiting the farm. Not the best example, but the were other instances where you could get the same idea.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:11 am

Finally got to sit down last night for the first time in like 3 weeks and play Lego Batman 2. Beat two more story boards and I'm up to 17%. The pace I'm going, I'll be playing this for a very long time. Damn kids.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby viva la ben on Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:37 am

I tried Heavy Rain on my PS3 last night...how this game got good reviews is beyond me.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:08 pm

Early reviews are in for Aliens: Colonial Marines............

Not good.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby viva la ben on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:42 pm

tifosi77 wrote:Early reviews are in for Aliens: Colonial Marines............

Not good.

Really bad, maybe I can pick it up in the bargain bin for $10 next month.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby skullman80 on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:44 pm

viva la ben wrote:I tried Heavy Rain on my PS3 last night...how this game got good reviews is beyond me.

I enjoyed it, it can be slow, but the story and characters suck you in. It's more of a movie that plays out in front of you than a game. I can see why some wouldn't like it though.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby viva la ben on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:51 pm

skullman80 wrote:
viva la ben wrote:I tried Heavy Rain on my PS3 last night...how this game got good reviews is beyond me.

I enjoyed it, it can be slow, but the story and characters suck you in. It's more of a movie that plays out in front of you than a game. I can see why some wouldn't like it though.

The game mechanic of shaking my controller was frustratingly unresponsive, it's just bad.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Rylan on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:54 pm

skullman80 wrote:

This. Heavy Rain takes a long time to get into. The first few hours seems to be slow, but when you start reaching the crux of the story it picks up and everything just hits you. Its not as good as The Walking Dead in terms of characters (TWD is the best at making me care for the characters, I honestly got pissed at a few things that happened which is very unlike me) but give it time and Heavy Rain will reward you.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:57 pm

Spangler wrote:
Rylan wrote:So I played through The Walking Dead again, and I have concluded that I like the game more than the show. The show is good, but the game is better. Even though it feels that there aren't a lot of decisions that truly affect the game. Eventually the game boils down and that's that. I still hate Episode 3 though, it was the low point of the game IMO, but Episode 4 was the best so they didn't allow me to wallow in annoyance for long.

I just can't wait for season 2 of the game to start.

Coming from a white guy, it's great seeing a non stereotypical black guy leading a game.

I have to say though, on my second playthrough, the realizations that the decisions weren't as dynamic as I thought really disappointed me. It brought ugly flashbacks of the Mass Effect series into my mind again.

Since the game will undoubtedly have a higher budget, maybe they will make your decisions branch out better in the next season.

Spoiler:
Even though you would be missing out on an awesome scenario, it would have been cool to have something completely different happen to you if you decided to stay at the motel, instead of visiting the farm. Not the best example, but the were other instances where you could get the same idea.

Yea, once you realize how little you can change things both made me happy and sad. I liked that while the game gives you power, you have none. You feel that you can save the world, when in reality you can't. It drives the point home very well that the Walking Dead aren't the zombies, but the survivors. In the end, there is only one possible outcome. I like that.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:59 pm

i am vehemently against any negative remarks concerning heavy rain.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:00 pm

offsides wrote:
Spangler wrote:
Rylan wrote:But I am looking at procuring 1 of 3 titles:

Dragon's Dogma
Mass Effect Trilogy
Killzone Trilogy

Thoughts?

Also whatever happened to Sarcastic, his indie games were always interesting.

I've only played ME, so I'd recommend that. The only problem is, I'm basically setting you up for a giant gut punch because the ending is horrible beyond repair.

I played and completed all 3 ME and Killzones. If you like the "story" part of a game and like to make different decisions that affect the gameplay, go with the ME series. If you want an excellent FPS with little decisions necessary, go for the Killzone series.

Yea I have played all of them in one form or another (I have beaten all the Killzones and I love the Mass Effect Trilogy despite only having played the 2nd.)

But I picked up the Mass Effect series thanks to some rewards provided by gamestop.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kaizer on Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:15 pm

Not good.

hmm. i just picked it up this morning, it better not suck.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:32 pm

Kaizer wrote:

Not good.

The only remotely positive remark I've read so far is that the game apparently addresses a glaring plot hole in the film "Alien³" and makes for a better bridge between the second and third films.

Nerd alert: proceed only if you are conversant with the Alien movies.
Spoiler:
The plot hole is 'how did the queen get two facehugger eggs on board the Sulaco at the end of "Aliens"? According to Alien³, there are at least two facehuggers unleashed from the wreck of the Sulaco, one that impregnates the dog (which became an ox in the 2003 'assembly cut') and grows up to be the xeno baddie of the film, and one that impregnates Ripley with a queen embryo. One facehugger per egg, so that means the queen somehow managed to lay two eggs in the dropship..... despite ripping herself free from her egg sac to pursue Ripley. If she doesn't need the egg sac to lay eggs, why have the egg sac at all? When exactly did she poop out these eggs? She was only hiding the the landing gear well for the brief flight from the planet's surface to dock with the Sulaco, and the action of the film implies that the Ripley, Newt and Bishop got off the dropship pretty much immediately on arrival, and there was no real break or pause for her to lay the eggs between ripping Bishop apart, chasing after Newt, and fighting Ripley in the power loader.

David Fincher, the director of "Alien³" never addressed this, and indeed never even seemed to be aware of his film's inattention to such vitally important details. And by vitally I mean 'to nerdheads like myself'.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Froggy on Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:10 pm

Skyrim dlc for PS 3 is finally coming it today. It's only 8 months after xbox.

edit: I'm gonna go ahead and add this to the "I'll Believe It When I See It" file
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:15 pm

By the way, I called the NBA 2k13 experiment a failure, but ended up buying the game and love it. Midway through my first season in my player.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Spangler on Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:40 am

The Dragonborn dlc for PS3 is 9.99 this week, so I would by it now before it's raised to 19.99.

I'm downloading it right now.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kaizer on Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:05 am

tifosi77 wrote:
Kaizer wrote:

Not good.

The only remotely positive remark I've read so far is that the game apparently addresses a glaring plot hole in the film "Alien³" and makes for a better bridge between the second and third films.

Nerd alert: proceed only if you are conversant with the Alien movies.
Spoiler:
The plot hole is 'how did the queen get two facehugger eggs on board the Sulaco at the end of "Aliens"? According to Alien³, there are at least two facehuggers unleashed from the wreck of the Sulaco, one that impregnates the dog (which became an ox in the 2003 'assembly cut') and grows up to be the xeno baddie of the film, and one that impregnates Ripley with a queen embryo. One facehugger per egg, so that means the queen somehow managed to lay two eggs in the dropship..... despite ripping herself free from her egg sac to pursue Ripley. If she doesn't need the egg sac to lay eggs, why have the egg sac at all? When exactly did she poop out these eggs? She was only hiding the the landing gear well for the brief flight from the planet's surface to dock with the Sulaco, and the action of the film implies that the Ripley, Newt and Bishop got off the dropship pretty much immediately on arrival, and there was no real break or pause for her to lay the eggs between ripping Bishop apart, chasing after Newt, and fighting Ripley in the power loader.

David Fincher, the director of "Alien³" never addressed this, and indeed never even seemed to be aware of his film's inattention to such vitally important details. And by vitally I mean 'to nerdheads like myself'.

Spoiler:
i always just sort of assumed that the eggs could be laid at any time, and the "sac" was merely a convenience. i havent gotten to that plot hole yet, because either the game is too **** difficult to play, or i'm terrible at 1st person shooters, could be either. the alien fighting action is pretty damn intense, but 1, its confusing when you have to follow an NPC during the battle, and the area is either too redundant or too dark to follow. (understandable, i'm fighting on the sulaco [which is another huge plot hole yet to be explained, but is addressed early in the campaign]). and for the love of god, the way you pick up ammo, health and armor is maddening.

all that said, the atmosphere is near perfect. they take a hard line to pay homage to the movies and get the setting right. the details make my alien fanboy squeal, but the controls make my gamer side roll its eyes.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:00 am

Aliens: Colonial Marines............ :face:

The problem I'm having getting past is the 'attention to detail' stuff. For example, all the debris in the drop ship hanger on the Sulaco; that thing was vented to space for something like 45 seconds at the end of Aliens.... there should be nothing left,
Spoiler:
least of all Bishop's legs.

Reading more of the post-mortems in the industry rags, and boy was this a mess. Sega got the interactive rights from 20th Century Fox (TCF), who was keen on reviving the franchise after effectively destroying it with two sub-par sequels and two awful cross-IP movies in AVP. Sega made a pretty bland FPS based on the AVP mixed-IP in 2010 (that I never finished playing), while focusing their main efforts on Colonial Marines. Sega hired a developer called Gearbox to make this title, and they spent about four years (!) designing and developing the game. Eventually, it was blessed by TCF as a canonical sequel to "Aliens", so impressed were they with what Sega and Gearbox were doing. (By all accounts, the guys at Gearbox are massive fans of the Alien franchise, and wanted to do right by it)

That's where things went all dicky. Gearbox, being a successful developer, had its own in-house IP to focus on, namely Duke Nukem and Borderlands, both of which were in re-boot/sequel mode. Gearbox, as is their wont, decided to put their own energy into those two IPs and outsource dev on Aliens: Colonial Marines. (Happens all the time) They chose a developer called TimeGate...... whose first order of business was to essentially throw out the four years of design and development that Gearbox had already put into the game, and which had so pleased execs at TCF, and start from scratch.

From there it descended into a mess of delays and missed deadlines and extensions and politicking. Gearbox was too lasered in on their own games (both of which turned out quite poorly, tbh) to monitor what TimeGate was doing, and when the final playable was delivered everyone at Gearbox effectively hung their heads in shame. They knew it was terrible. There were no boss battles, whole level maps had to be re-done, the graphics are two generations old, cut scenes are terrible. When they reported this to their publisher (Sega) they were granted a nine month reprieve....... the first five months of which were spent finalizing Borderlands 2 and shipping that title. So last week when I said the last extension allowed them to cast voice talent from "Aliens", those game elements hadn't even existed as of about seven months ago.

In summary: the shipped version of Aliens: Colonial Marines was effectively developed in four months, despite Sega and Gearbox working on it for six years.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rylan on Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:30 am

Duke Nukem was terrible. But Borderlands has been a smashing hit and is considered as good if not better than the first.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:56 pm

Nintendo Direct announced New Super Luigi Wii U that will be available in 2013 as an expansion/separation from new super mario bros wii u. the add-on alters and tailor makes roughly 80 levels of SMBWiiU to fit what nintendo is calling "The Year of Luigi"

me gusta.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:59 pm

also, http://nintendo.about.com/b/2013/02/14/ ... or-now.htm Wii Street U (which is supposedly a Google street view with some immersive gamepad experience, is free for a limited time through the e-shop
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Froggy on Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:00 pm

they should totally make a game called "super luigi galaxy" where it's just Luigi wandering around a massive, dark, empty open world, shouting "hello?", looking desperately for somebody who cares about him.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:03 pm

Froggy wrote:they should totally make a game called "super luigi galaxy" where it's just Luigi wandering around a massive, dark, empty open world, shouting "hello?", looking desperately for somebody who cares about him.

:lol: boss level: looking through a window into the castle where mario and peach are having a nice quiet candlelight dinner, followed by his final boss bout with depression.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:11 pm

Is depression that little black hole in the ground from those commercials? Would it be like the acid in Marble Madness?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:35 pm

this sucks:

got an email from gamefly saying they shipped the next game in my queue. sweet. or not...

Shipped from: Los Angeles Warehouse Shipping Center. Your game was not available at your primary Shipping Center.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR