Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins 2017 Stanley Cup Champs Fan Gear and Collectibles

Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby Pen48guins on Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:43 am

Rylan wrote:Beat the first Mass Effect. I like the story better than 2, but I felt 2 had the better gameplay. Ends up a wash in my opinion.

I was playing mass effects and then I stopped.

I started it up yesterday and have no clue what I am suppose to be doing at this save point and have no idea how to found out. Ran around aimlessly and turned it off.
Pen48guins
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Stoosh on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:49 am

Easton wrote:
Stoosh wrote:I play on the PS3, so I downloaded ME1 when it became available in December, just completed it and moved on to ME2 with the same character. I've already played through ME2 -> ME3 twice, so this will be my first play through the entire trilogy.

Since you're also playing through the entire trilogy the first time, I'd like to hear your opinions on ME1, which I'm still on.

Spoiler:
Do you feel ME 1 was more difficult than ME2 & ME3? I find it significantly more challenging much of the time -- not that it's incredibly hard -- and I attribute it to squad mechanics and combat design. My squad in ME1 doesn't seem to be as helpful as in the sequels. And when shooting at enemies, I don't have the feeling that I'm actually connecting with my shots. Perhaps that's a poor way to word it, but I feel the impact of each shot is felt more in ME2 & ME3. I guess that's probably due to the changeover to clips. This isn't to say combat is bad. I still enjoy it, and it's great going back through and seeing how everything developed. Also, the Mako can burn in the hottest fires of space hell.

Sorry I'm getting back so late on this, but here are some thoughts I had on ME1 now that I finished the first play-through of it and moved that character into ME2:

Spoiler:
- The shooting dynamics definitely changed from ME1 to ME2/ME3 and I think it was for the better. ME1 felt very loose. I agree that it was tough to tell whether your shots connected, especially at ranges too close for a sniper rifle but too long to be able to see it, so to speak.

- I agree about the squadmates in ME1...the "command/response" communication was a little more tricky in ME1. I had some instances where my squadmates just wouldn't respond. There were also times where they responded on their own, either with powers or actions. In a few cases, I tried to get them to stay in cover so I could advance into a room on my own (trying to get the jump on enemies), yet as soon as I advanced past a certain point they went Leroy Jenkins and ran into the room on their own. Thankfully, BioWare did a nice job cleaning it up by ME2, particularly by allowing you to put each squadmate into cover individually.

- The enemy dialogue in ME1 got old. Fast. "ENEMIES EVERYWHERE!" "I WILL DESTROY YOU!" Thankfully, they dumped a lot of the combat dialogue in ME2, at least outside of some of the things Harbinger says.

- I didn't mind the exploratory Mako missions at first. It added kind of a cool "open-world" environment that was absent in ME2/ME3 and I thought some of the environments were beautifully rendered (biiiiiiiig skies). But after a while, it got kind of repetitious and cumbersome. Unfortunately, the "scanning planets" thing in ME2 wasn't really much better (one of the only things about ME2 that I really disliked).

- All of the above were relatively minor complaints, to be honest. I still really enjoyed ME1. Overall, I thought it was the weakest game of the three, but that's kind of what you hope with a series that progresses like this. You could tell BioWare knew they had something good and that they definitely had big plans for it. ME1 was a good game and they did a fantastic job building up the character development and storyline over the next two games.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:21 am

SimCity had another closed beta this weekend, to load test the servers, so it was a 24 hour beta.

Very enjoyable, can't wait for the game to drop March 5th. Anyone else getting it?
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:33 pm

Started up Crysis 3 this morning, and so far it's a breath of fresh air compared to BLOPSII and A:CM.

SolidSnake wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:Giving Crysis another try. Only played it for about an hr before.

The original? Both 1 and 2 are fantastic games, but 1 is still pretty much a 'gold standard' for giving your gfx card and processor a workout.

Super excited about #3, which comes out............ tomorrow!

I really like it so far. It's a challenge even playing on normal. Yea also don't forget about your company's game comes out tomorrow too :wink:

I read one review of MGR:R that said "But for some wonky camera positioning, this would have been the easiest '10' I've ever awarded". So I guess the lights will stay on for a few more months. :wink:
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Spangler on Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:49 pm

I've been on big classic games kick the last couple months with game I've never played before. I bought FF VI and then FF VII a couple months ago, and then I bought FF IX and Chrono Trigger. I'm a little upset I didn't wait until now to buy FF VI and VII because there's a 25th anniversary special on PSN where everything is 50% off.

I was all excited to finally get to play Chrono Trigger, when I soon found out that all the load times on the PSN/PS1 version were terrible. You have to wait 3-5 seconds to enter locations, the menu, and fight enemies. It was unbearable, so I bought the Wii Virtual Console version of the game. It is much better now. I hate that I wasted $10, and can't refund my money.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rylan on Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:43 pm

I played the demo for MGR-R and I did not like it one bit.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Spangler on Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:11 pm

Upon reading the reviews the game is only 4-6 hours. LOL at paying $60 for that.

I'm downloading the demo, and holy ****, why is it 3.4 gb?
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rylan on Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:27 pm

Spangler wrote:Upon reading the reviews the game is only 4-6 hours. LOL at paying $60 for that.

Is this for Metal Gear or Crysis?
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:30 pm

Spangler wrote:I've been on big classic games kick the last couple months with game I've never played before. I bought FF VI and then FF VII a couple months ago, and then I bought FF IX and Chrono Trigger. I'm a little upset I didn't wait until now to buy FF VI and VII because there's a 25th anniversary special on PSN where everything is 50% off.

I was all excited to finally get to play Chrono Trigger, when I soon found out that all the load times on the PSN/PS1 version were terrible. You have to wait 3-5 seconds to enter locations, the menu, and fight enemies. It was unbearable, so I bought the Wii Virtual Console version of the game. It is much better now. I hate that I wasted $10, and can't refund my money.

One of the very best games of all time, Chrono Trigger is.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:32 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:SimCity had another closed beta this weekend, to load test the servers, so it was a 24 hour beta.

Very enjoyable, can't wait for the game to drop March 5th. Anyone else getting it?

isnt there a bunch of DLC (extra charges) for the new sim city?
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Spangler on Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:52 pm

Rylan wrote:
Spangler wrote:Upon reading the reviews the game is only 4-6 hours. LOL at paying $60 for that.

Is this for Metal Gear or Crysis?

Metal Gear.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rylan on Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:57 pm

I was just never a Raiden(sp?) fan, at least as the main character, and the game felt weird to me.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:01 pm

Letang Is The Truth wrote:
Digitalgypsy66 wrote:SimCity had another closed beta this weekend, to load test the servers, so it was a 24 hour beta.

isnt there a bunch of DLC (extra charges) for the new sim city?

There is a deluxe edition for $80 that adds French, German, and English building styles to the game. I lol'ed and bought the regular edition.

But that's the trend - DLC releases to extend the life of the game, and shut down any modding community. Now, I think SimCity will be moddable, but games like BF3 locked out modding all together. EA's (and DICE's) excuse was that the game was too difficult to mod... :roll:
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Kaizer on Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:37 pm

Rylan wrote:I was just never a Raiden(sp?) fan, at least as the main character, and the game felt weird to me.

the only place he fit in was as Volgin's boyfriend.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby eddysnake on Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:58 am

ps4 coming out in november

Sony’s PlayStation 4, expected to be previewed at an event in NYC today, will hit the US market by November, insiders claim, with two variants of the console in the pipeline and support for remote smartphone control. The gaming rig, internally codenamed “Orbis”, will be tentatively priced at $429 and $529 for the two different iterations, Kotaku‘s source says, with the PlayStation Eye camera included as standard.

The console will also support local network play, for those with a PS Vita, but it’s the remote smartphone support that could be most interesting. According to the source – who apparently previously leaked the codenames for the new Sony and Microsoft consoles – the PS4 will hook up to your smartphone or tablet, and then support remote chat with friends and purchases of new games and content, which will be downloaded straight to the console.

http://www.slashgear.com/ps4-due-november-with-smartphone-remote-control-tips-insider-20270257/
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby canaan on Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:21 am

Remote smartphone control...like the 360 does with smartglass?
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:24 am

The 360 has smartphone control?

Also, I don't know if i'm gonna get a console this gen At least not until prices drop.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:25 am

canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:01 pm

Killing time playing Eastside Hockey Manager 07 is great fun. The game can be very critical of you though. A-holes.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:17 pm

Also, GM Manger 09 is pretty good. I might like it a bit more than that of Eastside.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:28 pm

GM Manager sounds redundant.

But is it also hockey?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:34 pm

Yea, it was made by French Canadians. I would recommend trying the demo to see if you like it. Its interesting.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:22 am

Main Processor
Single-chip custom processor
CPU : x86-64 AMD "Jaguar", 8 cores
GPU : 1.84 TFLOPS, AMD next-generation Radeon based graphics engine

Memory
GDDR5 8GB

Hard Disk Drive
Built-in

Optical Drive (read only)
BD 6xCAV
DVD 8xCAV

I/O
Super-Speed USB (USB 3.0) 、AUX
Communication Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T)
IEEE 802.11 b/g/n
Bluetooth® 2.1 (EDR)

AV output
HDMI
Analog-AV out
Digital Output (optical)

PS4 tech specs
The game "watch dog" looks pretty rad
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:45 am

canaan wrote:The game "watch dog" looks pretty rad

it does, its confirmed for Wii U as well, also PS3 and XBOX360 which makes me wonder if developers will be giving it the PS4 treatment or an updated PS3 version?

F-Zero is available for a 30 cent download now too
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby canaan on Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:00 am

eddysnake wrote:
canaan wrote:The game "watch dog" looks pretty rad

it does, its confirmed for Wii U as well, also PS3 and XBOX360 which makes me wonder if developers will be giving it the PS4 treatment or an updated PS3 version?

F-Zero is available for a 30 cent download now too

and ubisoft went down 30% on their games in the e-shop til the 26th

$34.99 – Rabbids Land
$34.99 – Just Dance 4
$34.99 – Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2013
$34.99 – ESPN Sports Connection
$41.99 – Zombi U
$41.99 – Assassin’s Creed III
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext