Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby JeffDFD on Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:27 pm

I bought an xbox because that is what my friends have. This does weigh on my decision a bit. If they are going to use it to limit used games (which I keep hearing they will and wont) then it DEFINITELY will change my mind. If it is just to push ads...it stinks and we will have to wait and see how it turns out with the community and my friends that I game with. I definitely wont be buying the system early.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby SolidSnake on Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:28 pm

STEAMBOX
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Spangler on Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:52 pm

Wouldn't the requirement of always being online force you to sign into xbox live? So basically you will have to buy a membership just to play singleplayer games. A lot of people already have xbox live, but there are people who don't play multiplayer or use online integrations.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby skullman80 on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:17 pm

Xbox live silver was was always free. to play online you needed gold which cost money. I'm sure they would do something similar.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Spangler on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:28 pm

Oh I see. Never owned an Xbox.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sarcastic on Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:04 am

There is a cheap sale going on now on PSN. They have a couple of old style flying shooters that are pretty fun. Soldner-X and X-2 (and expansion level pack for X2).

Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Spangler on Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:09 am

This is a great article explaining why the PS4 isn't going to be backward compatible with PS3 games.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/experienced-points/10215-Why-the-PS4-Doesnt-Do-PS3-Games

Short answer: The cell processor wasn't a good idea.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sarcastic on Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:01 pm

Interesting. I have a PS2 and PS3 laying next to each other, and there will be a PS4 there in time. But if they won't be emulating PS3 games for d/l on PS4, it could cut off a significant amount of profit.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:06 pm

Nah it actually saves them money. When the first generation of PS3's came out with the ability to be backwards compatible, they were more costly and even though Sony fans said they would pay the price, they never did. Sony then realized to be competitive they had to cut costs. So they did. They got rid of elements that were used by the minority or weren't selling and went with a console that just played PS3 games. That sold well and eventually caught up to the XBOX.

The PS4 is learning from this and will instead be sold at a much cheaper opening day cost than that of its predecessor.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:22 pm

What would that mean for some of the epic games on PS3, like GOW? Be forgotten? New gamers would probably just buy a PS4, not PS3. I would think many of the older (and crappier since technology wasn't that good yet then, though the HD remakes are very good) PS2 games bring in good money to this day.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:28 pm

Just create new incarnations. Besides the PS3 will drop in price and will still be the console of the masses (along with the 360) for another few years before the next generation begins to have a foothold in the market. They won't forget, and I really am curious as to how things will work.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:34 am

Sarcastic wrote:What would that mean for some of the epic games on PS3, like GOW? Be forgotten? New gamers would probably just buy a PS4, not PS3. I would think many of the older (and crappier since technology wasn't that good yet then, though the HD remakes are very good) PS2 games bring in good money to this day.

I think it has been discussed here that classic AAA titles will likely be remastered for release as PS4 games. My company has recently done that with a couple legacy titles, re-tooling them to PS3 spec, and they've been well-received.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pittsoccer33 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:23 am

It's a Mega Man 2 weekend. I'm in Dr Wily's Fortress, 2nd stage.

How the hell did anyone [who didnt subscribe to EGM or Nintendo Power] ever beat a video game before the internet? My friend down the street growing up had a map (I think his uncle made it) on graph paper of Gannon's Dungeon. Now you don't even need to walk to your computer - just look up the map on your phone.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pavel Bure on Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:07 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:It's a Mega Man 2 weekend. I'm in Dr Wily's Fortress, 2nd stage.

How the hell did anyone [who didnt subscribe to EGM or Nintendo Power] ever beat a video game before the internet? My friend down the street growing up had a map (I think his uncle made it) on graph paper of Gannon's Dungeon. Now you don't even need to walk to your computer - just look up the map on your phone.

I started playing Metroid about 2 months ago it about a week. I thought I had just forgot how to access the map. Quick google search revealed there was no map.

As an aside the hardest thing I've started doing is playing those old games without save states/maps. The only time I'll use a save state is at the beginning of a level and only if I have to turn it off. Save states I realized spoiled the crap out of me, took the enjoyment out of the games, and made difficult games too easy.

My next project is going to be playing Metroid and mapping it out as I go so as not to get lost because using online maps makes it far too easy and doesn't engross me in the game.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Shyster on Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:56 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:How the hell did anyone [who didnt subscribe to EGM or Nintendo Power] ever beat a video game before the internet? My friend down the street growing up had a map (I think his uncle made it) on graph paper of Gannon's Dungeon. Now you don't even need to walk to your computer - just look up the map on your phone.

We made maps on graph paper. My brother and I growing up made maps for many games. We also mapped Zelda, and I remember we had a full map (on multiple sheets of paper taped together) of everything in Metroid.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hockeynut! on Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:17 pm

I did the graph paper thing too. Ah, nostalgia...
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rylan on Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:18 pm

Been playing Dragon Age: Origins. Good fun game. Can't wait to beat it a second time and move onto Awakenings.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:52 pm

Rylan wrote:Been playing Dragon Age: Origins. Good fun game. Can't wait to beat it a second time and move onto Awakenings.

Ah. Yet another game I started and didn't get very far into.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:11 pm

the wicked child wrote:
Rylan wrote:Been playing Dragon Age: Origins. Good fun game. Can't wait to beat it a second time and move onto Awakenings.

Ah. Yet another game I started and didn't get very far into.

Yea, I didn't know how I felt about it in the beginning. But I chugged through and I ended really enjoying it.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:43 am

I was so excited for Dragon Age and then played a demo of it and decided I would never buy it.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby skullman80 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:47 am

I'm still playing through Tomb Raider, but it's been really really good. If you like the Uncharted series, you will like Tomb Raider alot.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:32 am

I have a $50 amazon gift card waiting to be spent. Considering spending it on a video game...nothing I really want to play though. I'm also realizing that I can backlog games for 360 for like 4 more years.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby neophool on Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:44 am

Just finished Tomb Raider.

wow. just wow. what a job they did with this game. most fun i've had playing a game in a long, long time.

And now that i'm done, i'm going back and hunting for all the stuff i missed. The storyline just pushed me through (of my own choosing). Cannot WAIT for the next one, they knocked this one out of the park.
neophool
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby JeffDFD on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:04 am

Anyone get 100% on AC3? How about the "original gamer" achievement/trophy. I cannot win at fanorona on expert at the homestead! Haha!
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:08 am

First AC game that I didn't even try to 100%. Just found myself not caring.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR