Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby canaan on Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:42 am

GnG was one of the harder games of my youth. i think i spent a month just trying to beat level 1 consistently without getting hit.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 38,473
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 11:13 am
Location: Fritos. On. My. Sub.

Re: Current video game being played

Postby JeffDFD on Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:42 am

PensFanInDC wrote:oh man. GnG. One second your clad in glorious armor and the next your in your skivvies trying to survive. I may have beaten it once but that would have been it. IIRC there were no extra lives or they were insanely hard to get. 2 hits and your dead. Loved the game but it was certainly hard.

I read an article recently that said NES made games hard for the reason that they were all very short and it increased play time.


Makes me think of one thing...has anyone ever beaten the original Contra WITHOUT putting in the Konami code to get 30 lives instead of 3?

I think without the code you got 3 lives and 2 or 3 continues? That would be impossible and take forever to be that careful...but I don't think you could be that careful because it is infinite enemy respawn in most of the game, I believe.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,565
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 2:55 pm
Location: Inside the tumor in Crosby's neck.

Re: Current video game being played

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:47 am

PensFanInDC wrote:
I read an article recently that said NES made games hard for the reason that they were all very short and it increased play time.


another thing that made it difficult to beat games was that there was no way to save your progress on many of them. you would literally have to play from morning until night to get to the end of a game.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,248
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:06 pm

Re: Current video game being played

Postby newarenanow on Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:57 am

pittsoccer33 wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:
I read an article recently that said NES made games hard for the reason that they were all very short and it increased play time.


another thing that made it difficult to beat games was that there was no way to save your progress on many of them. you would literally have to play from morning until night to get to the end of a game.


Yep. And the two longest games I remember that didn't have a save feature was Blaster Master and Rygar. I remember spending like 6 hours playing Rygar, only for my parents to shut the game off because we had to leave to go somewhere.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,143
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: Current video game being played

Postby newarenanow on Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:58 am

JeffDFD wrote:Makes me think of one thing...has anyone ever beaten the original Contra WITHOUT putting in the Konami code to get 30 lives instead of 3?

I think without the code you got 3 lives and 2 or 3 continues? That would be impossible and take forever to be that careful...but I don't think you could be that careful because it is infinite enemy respawn in most of the game, I believe.


Never did it in my youth, but did it a few times in college when my buddy and I pretty much had the game memorized.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,143
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: Current video game being played

Postby JeffDFD on Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:03 am

newarenanow wrote:
JeffDFD wrote:Makes me think of one thing...has anyone ever beaten the original Contra WITHOUT putting in the Konami code to get 30 lives instead of 3?

I think without the code you got 3 lives and 2 or 3 continues? That would be impossible and take forever to be that careful...but I don't think you could be that careful because it is infinite enemy respawn in most of the game, I believe.


Never did it in my youth, but did it a few times in college when my buddy and I pretty much had the game memorized.


Studying hard, I see! There is just so much random bullet spray and explosions going on everywhere! That would take a lot of effort.

The best part with 30 lives is racing up the waterfall board and trying to kill your teammate who falls behind because he is scared to lose his laser gun or whatever...or fighting over all the gun enhancements. YOU ALREADY HAVE MACHINE GUN LEAVE THE SPREAD ONE THERE FOR ME, JERK...WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?!!!! (***thinks to self*** I am so going to kill you once we get to the waterfall board...I will sulk until then when I will have my revenge!)
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,565
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 2:55 pm
Location: Inside the tumor in Crosby's neck.

Re: Current video game being played

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:25 am

newarenanow wrote:
pittsoccer33 wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:
I read an article recently that said NES made games hard for the reason that they were all very short and it increased play time.


another thing that made it difficult to beat games was that there was no way to save your progress on many of them. you would literally have to play from morning until night to get to the end of a game.


Yep. And the two longest games I remember that didn't have a save feature was Blaster Master and Rygar. I remember spending like 6 hours playing Rygar, only for my parents to shut the game off because we had to leave to go somewhere.


Man. GnG, Rygar, and Blaster Master were my 3 favorite games as a kid.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,238
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: Current video game being played

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:28 am

Krystle's parents have a Sega Genesis at their house, along with Golden Axe. Now THAT is a fun game.

Desert Strike and Urban Strike (I think there was another one too) were two of my favorite games as a kid as well.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 55,486
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: Current video game being played

Postby JeffDFD on Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:29 am

shafnutz05 wrote:Krystle's parents have a Sega Genesis at their house, along with Golden Axe. Now THAT is a fun game.

Desert Strike and Urban Strike (I think there was another one too) were two of my favorite games as a kid as well.


Jungle Strike.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,565
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 2:55 pm
Location: Inside the tumor in Crosby's neck.

Re: Current video game being played

Postby eddysnake on Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:44 am

shafnutz05 wrote:Krystle's parents have a Sega Genesis at their house, along with Golden Axe. Now THAT is a fun game.

Desert Strike and Urban Strike (I think there was another one too) were two of my favorite games as a kid as well.


Golden Axe was awesome. Kinda in the same realm, but in June this is coming out

Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dTUkGje-Cus#!

guerrilla war, Ikari Warriors, 1943, Life Force, and City Connection were regulars for me.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,663
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm
Location: tool shed

Re: Current video game being played

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:47 am

Used to play all of the "Strike" games on Sega Channel. I swear one of them was always on there.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,074
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Current video game being played

Postby AlexPKeaton on Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:59 am

Anyone playing Don't Starve on PC? This little game is loads of fun. It is a 2d survival game sort of like minecraft. If you preorder it on Steam, you can play the beta immediately, and get 2 copies for $12. Check it out on youtube. I'm addicted to this game now.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,700
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:46 am
Location: Malkinite Compound

Re: Current video game being played

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:03 pm

I can never land that damn plane in Top Gun
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,238
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: Current video game being played

Postby FreeCandy44 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:11 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:I can never land that damn plane in Top Gun

That was one of my favorite nes games ever! And yes I could never land it either.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,940
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:55 pm
Location: Insert Witty Comment Here

Re: Current video game being played

Postby skullman80 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:19 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:I can never land that damn plane in Top Gun


There's a whole Angry Video Game Nerd episode on top gun, it's pretty good.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,610
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:55 pm
Location: New Kensington, PA

Re: Current video game being played

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:21 pm

I guess I was some kind of contrarian as a kid. There were around 15 boys my age in the neighborhood and all of them had an NES. Most had a Genesis too, but for whatever reason I wanted to be different and have an SNES. There were only 3 or 4 of those compared to probably 10+ Segas.

I realized after I started organizing metadata for my ROM library that I never actually owned many of my favorite games. Battletoads, California Games, Castlevania 2, Mega Man 2/3, NHL 94, Aladdin (Genesis version), Star Fox, Jurassic Park (Genesis version), Blades of Steel, Wrestlemania 2000, and RBI Baseball 3 were some of the ones I feel like I played a lot but never actually owned.

Most played games I owned-
NES: Zelda, Codename Viper, Captain Skyhawk, Ninja Turtles 2, Mario 3
SNES: Mario World, Mario Kart, Stanley Cup Hockey, Donkey Kong Country, Street Fighter 2, Lion King, NBA Jam TE
64: Wave Race, Goldeneye, Twisted Edge Snowboarding (I liked it more than 1080 for some reason), Star Fox 64, Zelda, Cruisin USA
PC: Allied Assault, COD/United Offensive, COD2, Counterstrike, Vice City, San Andreas
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,248
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:06 pm

Re: Current video game being played

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:26 pm

skullman80 wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:I can never land that damn plane in Top Gun


There's a whole Angry Video Game Nerd episode on top gun, it's pretty good.


I think thats the only one i've seen. Actually, I didn't know it was a series. Was it the original?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,074
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Current video game being played

Postby FreeCandy44 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:30 pm

Most of my youth was spent on Major League Baseball, Captain Skyhawk, Blades of Steel, NHL 94, all the super Mario games, Bad Dudes, Mario Mart and Al Unsers racing.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,940
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:55 pm
Location: Insert Witty Comment Here

Re: Current video game being played

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:31 pm

I was all, Mario 3, Legend of Zelda, RBI Baseball, Blade of Steel. A lot of wrecking crew as well.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,074
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Current video game being played

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:33 pm

I always could never do the mid-air fueling mission on Top Gun. I don't think I ever beat that game.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,715
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:31 pm
Location: Behind Enemy Lines

Re: Current video game being played

Postby newarenanow on Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:34 pm

I think on the first 2 boards of Top Gun, you could just hold up and to the right for the entire flight portion and not get hit.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,143
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: Current video game being played

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:34 pm

Battletoads was extremely difficult
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 55,486
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: Current video game being played

Postby newarenanow on Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:36 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:Battletoads was extremely difficult


The board where you were riding those things was hard as hell. It was difficult to figure out the jumps.

TMNT the first one for NES was another one.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,143
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: Current video game being played

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:36 pm

On a side note, I used to love the Super Mario Bros. Super Show. Especially when they had the Legend of Zelda cartoon as well
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 55,486
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: Current video game being played

Postby skullman80 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:37 pm

Battletoads made me rage as a kid. That damn level when you are on those bikes or hoverboards or whatever they were with all the ramps. You had to memorize the pattern or you were assured death.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,610
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:55 pm
Location: New Kensington, PA

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: blackjack68, stopper40 and 5 guests

e-mail