Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby skullman80 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:38 pm

TMTN and the stupid water level with the electrified seaweed... also rage inducing. Also there were some jumps in the sawyers that were just damn near impossible.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:42 pm

skullman80 wrote:TMTN and the stupid water level with the electrified seaweed... also rage inducing. Also there were some jumps in the sawyers that were just damn near impossible.

That was the first one - after I spent all day getting thru that level I was always too tired of playing to figure out where I was supposed to go in the Party Wagon.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FreeCandy44 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:45 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:On a side note, I used to love the Super Mario Bros. Super Show. Especially when they had the Legend of Zelda cartoon as well

Captain N The video game master was my jam. I watched all those Nintendo related shows.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:47 pm

we were talking at work about how we all knew these codes and tricks - all without the internet. konami code, game specific level skips and powerups, where to find secret portals and warps, blood code/fatalities.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FreeCandy44 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:47 pm

I think in the one only from my age group to never beat Zelda or Mario 1. I had the original TMNT but it proved to frustrating so I traded it in.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:54 pm

i was a bystander when a friend beat zelda. mario 1 was never fun enough to try getting thru. i remember the first time I got the final level in mario 2 and after having played all day I was clueless how to beat this guy so i just gave up. eventually figured that out. i cant remember if i bet 3 or not, but if i did it was definitely with a game genie. i remember i accidentally created my own code for that game. it turned you into a discolored koopa in a cloud and you could skip a stage or two at a time. but if you tried skipping too many it just locked up and froze.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pavel Bure on Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:01 pm

skullman80 wrote:TMTN and the stupid water level with the electrified seaweed... also rage inducing. Also there were some jumps in the sawyers that were just damn near impossible.

TMNT 1 is just flat out a bad game. Many bad games are simply confused as hard games.

Contra and Super C for example very hard and very good

TMNT 1 very hard and very bad.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FreeCandy44 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:05 pm

I can beat Mario 2 and 3 front to back easily. Just something about 1.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:19 pm

At one point I did somehow manage to beat Top Gun. It was definitely a PITA.

MM 2-5 aren't too bad. The first can be a pain given there are no energy tanks and has a couple down right sadistic sections in the robot master stages (moving platforms in Guts Man and the cloud section of Ice Man)

MM6 is a bit tougher than the predecessors, but in particular, there is one part during the fortresses where if you miss a shortcut path, the real path has a jump that is damn near impossible to pull off.

7 and 8...don't get me started. Especially 8. Turrible and frustrating as all hell.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:30 pm

FreeCandy44 wrote:I think in the one only from my age group to never beat Zelda or Mario 1. I had the original TMNT but it proved to frustrating so I traded it in.

I've never beat Mario 1. TMNT was definitely frustrating.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:31 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:we were talking at work about how we all knew these codes and tricks - all without the internet. konami code, game specific level skips and powerups, where to find secret portals and warps, blood code/fatalities.

I still remember a ton of stuff from the NES days.

I view it the same as telephone numbers. Back then, you either had to write it down or memorize it, and I chose to memorize some because I used them so much. Same with my friends phone numbers.

Now, you can pull up anything from anywhere and get the code. Just like I have all of my phone numbers stored in my cell phone.

I can tell you my 5 best friends numbers from 25 years ago, but I can't tell you my wifes cell phone number today.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:56 pm

So im sitting here on my day off at my place, playing PS3. I've decided I don't really care for this system. I like the older systems, im not into shooters or anything like that at all. This was purely a impulse buy. So in considering selling this system or trading it or a working original NES. I'd want atleast 10-20 good games and it has to be working.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:57 pm

FreeCandy44 wrote:So im sitting here on my day off at my place, playing PS3. I've decided I don't really care for this system. I like the older systems, im not into shooters or anything like that at all. This was purely a impulse buy. So in considering selling this system or trading it or a working original NES. I'd want atleast 10-20 good games and it has to be working.

Do it.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:04 pm

I mean its a working hardly played ps3 120 gig with HDMI cord, 2 dual shock controllers and 4 games.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:13 pm

FreeCandy44 wrote:So im sitting here on my day off at my place, playing PS3. I've decided I don't really care for this system. I like the older systems, im not into shooters or anything like that at all. This was purely a impulse buy. So in considering selling this system or trading it or a working original NES. I'd want atleast 10-20 good games and it has to be working.

Well, that is strange because you wouldn't catch me playing any of that 8-bit junk anymore.

But if that's your peference, then I suggest you get an emulator and download whatever games you want for NES, or the whole damn library, for free and keep your ps3. Best part about playing on emulators is you can actually save your games and restart from a save point when you screw up.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:18 pm

I guess I could just go buy Sonics ultimate Genesis collection or midway museum to play the older games.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:28 pm

I don't know if someone would trade an NES and any number of games for a PS3. People that still have their NESs value them pretty highly. I certainly wouldn't trade either of mine for any current gen console.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:29 pm

I got Sonic 1 and 2 on ps3. If I recall right, you can save your progress with genesis games on it. And the picture looks good, too, with the smoothing they do. I think I'll buy my favorite genesis game.. Revenge Of Shinobi. I think it's only a few bucks. And yes, I cheat in it. A neverending supply of shurikens and as many lives as you want to get later in the game. No way in hell I could beat it as it is.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:29 pm

Yo! Noid for NES was awesome
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:50 pm

eddysnake wrote:Yo! Noid for NES was awesome

that and cool spot were corporate brand promotion taken to another level. does the walmart smiley have a video game?
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby skullman80 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:36 pm

I still have my original nintendo I got in 88 or 89, whatever year I was in Kindergarten. That thing still works. Gotta blow in the cartridges at times, or in the system itself, but it's still kicking. I wouldn't sell that thing anything in the world. Too much sentimental value to me. I have it at my grandparents now, and my grandfathers plays Tetris on it all the time, and he is awesome at it. Feels good the thing still gets used.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:55 pm

I still have my original from the Xmas of 88. I have two other ones just in case, but the original one has been going strong for almost 25 years. I'd never sell it either.

Over the years, i've built up 378 different games for that system, all in pretty good condition. I've slowed down some now though because now collecting NES games is the new craze and prices have jumped up. I'd love to get to around 500-550 games. The final 200-250 would start getting difficult to find.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shyster on Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:49 pm

Sarcastic wrote:Well, that is strange because you wouldn't catch me playing any of that 8-bit junk anymore.

Why, you, you... [shakes cane] Get off my lawn, you young punk!
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FreeCandy44 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:53 pm

I had my original nes and my exwife told me I shouldn't get rid of it, but yeah I did. I traded it in a few years ago for tickets to see Queens of the Stone Age.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:40 pm

newarenanow wrote:I still have my original from the Xmas of 88. I have two other ones just in case, but the original one has been going strong for almost 25 years. I'd never sell it either.

Over the years, i've built up 378 different games for that system, all in pretty good condition. I've slowed down some now though because now collecting NES games is the new craze and prices have jumped up. I'd love to get to around 500-550 games. The final 200-250 would start getting difficult to find.

Do you have the labyrinth? I was a damn fool to get rid of my games, a damn fool.

I got a buddy who can go through the bike course of California games like nothing I've ever seen, it's mesmerizing!
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to NHR