Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby AlexPKeaton on Tue May 21, 2013 12:42 pm

Sarcastic wrote:So is the online requirement real or not?

Also, I hate it when companies try to mix everything into their creation so theirs was the ONLY thing needed for EVERYTHING. A cable thing on the xbox. For what purpose, I say. And I guess that goes into customers' cost and also one more thing that can go wrong with it.

They didn't say anything about the online requirement.

The cable box thing will only work if they cut a deal with all US cable companies that will allow the xbox to be used as the actual cable box.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby skullman80 on Tue May 21, 2013 12:43 pm

Still leaning towards PS4 at this point.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Tue May 21, 2013 12:44 pm

I'm getting a PS4, I'm a PS fanboy. :D
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Tue May 21, 2013 12:47 pm

Head of 343 studios (Halo) is pretty cute.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sarcastic on Tue May 21, 2013 12:51 pm

I stole 2 sports cars in Sleeping Dogs and they handled reaaaaaaaaaally well. Also 2 more motorcycles and they handled even better than the 1100 bike. I still prefer the Saints Row 2 cars, like that mustang you could customize... amazing driving in that game. Anyway, I would like to get a mod to remove half the cars driving around in Sleeping Dogs because it's too damn crowded and also make the streets wider. Driving is fun and it's relatively easy to avoid cars, but it could have been better.

Gameplay is starting to grow meh on me. Fighting is getting better with new moves, but I still liked fighting in... yes, again... Saints Row 2 better. I don't know how people view SR2, but that is one awesome game.

Also, the story in SR2 was GREAT and I loved all the varied missions and how the game progressed. Here, I'm starting to get a little fed up with the stupid missions I'm supposed to do and some of the dialog is getting cheesy.

So far, I like it, but I have to rank it a couple notches below Saints Row 2.
Last edited by Sarcastic on Tue May 21, 2013 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue May 21, 2013 12:53 pm

There is a Halo TV series?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Tue May 21, 2013 12:53 pm

Yeah for games PS4 seems to be the way to go. The only specs I saw were 8GB of RAM, but not the GDDR5 RAM that the PS4 has. However as a better cable box and a family box, this might be pretty cool.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby skullman80 on Tue May 21, 2013 12:54 pm

Sarcastic wrote:I stole 2 sports cars in Sleeping Dogs and they handled reaaaaaaaaaally well. Also 2 more motorcycles and they handled even better than the 1100 bike. I still prefer the Saints Row 2 cars, like that mustang you could customize... amazing driving in that game. Anyway, I would like to get a mod to remove half the cars driving around in Sleeping Dogs because it's too damn crowded and also make the streets wider. Driving is fun and it's relatively easy to avoid cars, but it could have been better.

Gameplay is starting to grow meh on me. Fighting is getting better with new moves, but I still liked fighting in... yes, again... Saints Row 2 better. I don't know how people view SR2, but that is one awesome game.

Also, the story in SR2 we GREAT and I loved all the varied missions and how the game progressed. Here, I'm starting to get a little fed up with the stupid missions I',m supposed to do and some of the dialog is getting cheesy.

Saints Row 3 is even better.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue May 21, 2013 12:55 pm

Being that i've gone back to the point of playing like 3-4 games a yaer and use my xbox as a netflix/hulu machine, Xbox seems like an easy choice. I'll get it when the price drops.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Tue May 21, 2013 12:56 pm

skullman80 wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:I stole 2 sports cars in Sleeping Dogs and they handled reaaaaaaaaaally well. Also 2 more motorcycles and they handled even better than the 1100 bike. I still prefer the Saints Row 2 cars, like that mustang you could customize... amazing driving in that game. Anyway, I would like to get a mod to remove half the cars driving around in Sleeping Dogs because it's too damn crowded and also make the streets wider. Driving is fun and it's relatively easy to avoid cars, but it could have been better.

Also, the story in SR2 we GREAT and I loved all the varied missions and how the game progressed. Here, I'm starting to get a little fed up with the stupid missions I',m supposed to do and some of the dialog is getting cheesy.

Saints Row 3 is even better.

SR3 is top quality and great fun. I am a big fan of the series. I just really got to like SR2 a whole lot...
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Tue May 21, 2013 12:59 pm

I'm going to stick with the Wii U.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Tue May 21, 2013 1:00 pm

newarenanow wrote:I'm going to stick with the Wii U.

My Wii U broke after 10 hours of use lol. PoS.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sarcastic on Tue May 21, 2013 1:01 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:

LOL no way
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Tue May 21, 2013 1:01 pm

Have they mentioned what kind of games they expect for the new Xbox?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Tue May 21, 2013 1:02 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:

Probably because you tried to stick a floppy disk in it to play your PC game. Nerd. :pop:
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Tue May 21, 2013 1:05 pm

target has the wii u for $240
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sarcastic on Tue May 21, 2013 1:07 pm

Shyster wrote:System Shock 2 came out in 1999, so the graphics will be horrendously outdated compared to current games. That said, it’s an excellent game that in terms of design and gameplay served as a tremendous influence on later game designs. FPS games with RPG elements (that is, shooters where you can upgrade your character’s skills and abilities; see games like Deus Ex, Dead Space, Bioshock, etc.) are common today, and SS2 was pretty much the first game of that style.

That, along with the original Deus Ex, are two of the greatest games ever put out. I played SS2 like 7 years ago or something. I had some cool mods for it to improve graphics and add other stuff (aaaaaaand.. topless robochicks). It's a long and rewarding game and highly recommended. I would look for a game forum and try to get some cool mods for the PC version, if I were to play it again.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Avyran on Tue May 21, 2013 1:13 pm

Apparently they just mentioned elsewhere (I'm currently watching this stream covering the event) that there is no online-requirement for X-Box One. They said one of the leading guys said it to Spike.
Last edited by Avyran on Tue May 21, 2013 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avyran
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue May 21, 2013 1:14 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Have they mentioned what kind of games they expect for the new Xbox?

Mostly online board games and some crossword puzzles.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby skullman80 on Tue May 21, 2013 1:15 pm

eddysnake wrote:target has the wii u for $240

Not even worth that.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Tue May 21, 2013 1:23 pm

Here's a big, long article about the new Xbox (if you have time to read it):

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/05/xbox-one/
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Tue May 21, 2013 1:27 pm

Sarcastic wrote:Also, I hate it when companies try to mix everything into their creation so theirs was the ONLY thing needed for EVERYTHING. A cable thing on the xbox. For what purpose, I say. And I guess that goes into customers' cost and also one more thing that can go wrong with it.

100% disagree.

From having sold home theater equipment I can tell you that in most American homes they dont use all the equipment they have (DVD/bluray/game system/digital media player/stereo receiver) because the wife cant or wont learn how to use it. They are too intimidated to flip from HDMI 1 where the cable box is to AV 1 where the dvd player is, so they don't watch movies. Therefore they don't buy movies - they watch them on demand.

Microsoft added a bluray drive to increase the capacity of the discs - 4K will be mainstream during the lifetime of the console. Adding that was cheaper than developing their own standard or going back to HD-DVD for higher capacity games. So now your game system can also play movies. No flipping tv inputs.

It won't act as a cable box itself - it will rely on HDMI-CEC to talk to a cable box. You will plug your cable box into it via hdmi, then plug the xbox into the tv. This will overlay a media rich GUI similar to Google TV, the difference is that Microsoft isn't going to half-ass it and you won't need crumby ir blasters to change channels - channel changing will be done via HDMI-CEC (this is why they will need partner companies - ones that offer cableboxes and firmware for them that will allow it)

Now once again you don't have to worry about switching inputs. You can watch your DVR'd shows, play games, stream House of Cards via Netflix, catch up on Game of Thrones via HBO Go, rent a new release via Vudu, and watch bluray discs.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pittsoccer33 on Tue May 21, 2013 1:28 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Have they mentioned what kind of games they expect for the new Xbox?

EA mentioned some, but Microsoft said the publishers and developers are holding off for E3 later this summer.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue May 21, 2013 1:31 pm

have they released a price point
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Tue May 21, 2013 1:33 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:It won't act as a cable box itself - it will rely on HDMI-CEC to talk to a cable box. You will plug your cable box into it via hdmi, then plug the xbox into the tv. This will overlay a media rich GUI similar to Google TV, the difference is that Microsoft isn't going to half-ass it and you won't need crumby ir blasters to change channels - channel changing will be done via HDMI-CEC (this is why they will need partner companies - ones that offer cableboxes and firmware for them that will allow it)

Pass. I'm not paying MS an XBOX Live fee on top of paying my cable company a fee to rent the box.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to NHR