Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue May 21, 2013 2:38 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:It won't act as a cable box itself - it will rely on HDMI-CEC to talk to a cable box. You will plug your cable box into it via hdmi, then plug the xbox into the tv. This will overlay a media rich GUI similar to Google TV, the difference is that Microsoft isn't going to half-ass it and you won't need crumby ir blasters to change channels - channel changing will be done via HDMI-CEC (this is why they will need partner companies - ones that offer cableboxes and firmware for them that will allow it)

Now once again you don't have to worry about switching inputs. You can watch your DVR'd shows, play games, stream House of Cards via Netflix, catch up on Game of Thrones via HBO Go, rent a new release via Vudu, and watch bluray discs.

Thats pretty sweet actually. I may get this console sooner than I thought.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Tue May 21, 2013 2:44 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:Pass. I'm not paying MS an XBOX Live fee on top of paying my cable company a fee to rent the box.

I'd like to say I'd be surprised if you need the Live membership to do this, but with Microsoft nothing surprises me.

You can always build your own cablebox and never pay their fees ;-) like this one some nerd built that also has emulators built into it

pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby AlexPKeaton on Tue May 21, 2013 2:46 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:Pass. I'm not paying MS an XBOX Live fee on top of paying my cable company a fee to rent the box.

I'd like to say I'd be surprised if you need the Live membership to do this, but with Microsoft nothing surprises me.

You can always build your own cablebox and never pay their fees ;-) like this one some nerd built that also has emulators built into it

I actually did think about doing that, but that would require a lot of work. I wish cable cards were not killed off.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pittsoccer33 on Tue May 21, 2013 2:51 pm

I am positive that as new IPTV options are offered by cable companies that Microsoft will be first to allow the Xbox to be a receiver for this. They already are partnering with at least Verizon and Comcast on the 360 to allow streaming tv channels - this is only going to be expanded over the life of the console.

This is pure speculation on my part, but I can definitely see either Microsoft or a 3rd party company like Niveus or Silicon Dust turning the One into a full fledged DVR.

Get one of these and plug it into your router:

Then the Xbox One will talk to it via the home network and will tune and record programs itself
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sarcastic on Tue May 21, 2013 3:05 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:Also, I hate it when companies try to mix everything into their creation so theirs was the ONLY thing needed for EVERYTHING. A cable thing on the xbox. For what purpose, I say. And I guess that goes into customers' cost and also one more thing that can go wrong with it.

From having sold home theater equipment I can tell you that in most American homes they dont use all the equipment they have (DVD/bluray/game system/digital media player/stereo receiver) because the wife cant or wont learn how to use it.

I can definitely see your point with that. Not for me, though. I like separate units.

Microsoft added a bluray drive to increase the capacity of the discs.

Well, they should have done that long ago and not just for movies but for their games.

It won't act as a cable box itself - it will rely on HDMI-CEC to talk to a cable box.

Again, it really doesn't matter to me. Out of curiosity, is that going to work for satellite tv?

Now once again you don't have to worry about switching inputs. You can watch your DVR'd shows, play games, stream House of Cards via Netflix, catch up on Game of Thrones via HBO Go, rent a new release via Vudu, and watch bluray discs.

I can see your reasoning for this, but I personally don't like it. I like to choose my media components.. as I would for a stereo system, for instance.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Tue May 21, 2013 3:09 pm

Sarcastic wrote:
pittsoccer33 wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:Also, I hate it when companies try to mix everything into their creation so theirs was the ONLY thing needed for EVERYTHING. A cable thing on the xbox. For what purpose, I say. And I guess that goes into customers' cost and also one more thing that can go wrong with it.

Again, it really doesn't matter to me. Out of curiosity, is that going to work for satellite tv?

looks like it
Ashley Speicher, a lead software design engineer at Microsoft’s entertainment division, walks me through a demo. The team has been working feverishly to get it ready for the official unveiling, but this is clearly an early build; when she turns on the program guide, the green screen of the developer’s OS screen shows through in the gaps between tiles. “Xbox,” she says, and a small faint Xbox logo in the upper right-hand corner of the screen begins to glow; the Kinect is listening. “ESPN,” she finishes. The guide, which is currently highlighting Seattle’s local channel 4, switches to channel 206: ESPN. Because the Kinect’s voice control is already engaged, she doesn’t need to prompt it again, so she just says “watch.” There’s a flash as the connected DirecTV makes the change, and all of a sudden SportsCenter comes on the screen. The most shocking part about it is the ease; there’s no more hunting through your guide for FX or Travel Channel or whatever network or show you’re looking for. You can just say “Xbox, watch Travel Channel” or “Xbox, watch Sons of Anarchy,” and you’re there. If the show itself isn’t on, a global search will collate all of your options for watching it, from on-demand to streaming services.

But then Speicher goes one better. She goes back to the Xbox One’s home screen—a mashup of the 360’s Xbox Live environment and the Microsoft design language so familiar from Windows 8 on PCs and Surface tablets—and opens Internet Explorer instead. Now the TV is filled with Bing’s landing screen. “Xbox,” she says, “snap in Live TV.” A sidebar slides onto the screen from the left; at its bottom is a list of her favorite channels, and at the top is SportsCenter, playing live. “Switch,” she says, and the sidebar is highlighted, allowing her to pick and watch any of those favorite channels. “Watch,” she says, and the sidebar takes over the whole of the screen. Back to SportsCenter.

“Snapping in” is the Xbox One’s task-switching mechanism, and it’s made possible by some serious operating system kung fu. The Xbox One simultaneously runs three separate operating systems. First comes the tiny Host OS, which boots the machine and then launches two other hard-partitioned systems: the Shared partition, an environment that runs any apps (Skype, Live TV, Netflix, etc.) and helps provide processing power for the Kinect sensor and its gesture and voice controls; and the Exclusive partition, which is where games run. Because of the way memory is apportioned in the Shared partition, you can switch between apps with little to no load times, and even snap them into another app or game to use both at the same time
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pittsoccer33 on Tue May 21, 2013 3:10 pm

There was a time about 4ish years ago when both DirecTV and Dish were working on pc based tuners for their satellite systems to work with Windows Media Center, so I can only imagine they would be at least open to working with Microsoft on this. Theres no technological reason that only cable systems would work for HDMI-CEC and not satellite.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pittsoccer33 on Tue May 21, 2013 3:13 pm

Ive screwed around with a hacked Kinect on an htpc and also an Amulet remote for tv voice control. If they can truely get it working correctly will be awesome. Neither of those solutions were polished enough - they had a hard time differentiating between my voice and the voice on the tv.

HDMI-CEC would also be able to turn the tv off and on, for example. So if the One has some kind of standby mode you could easily walk into the room and say "turn on the Steelers game" and it would be able to fire up your entire home theater chain and turn on the correct TV input, receiver input, and tv channel.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby skullman80 on Tue May 21, 2013 4:21 pm

So the new Xbox requires KInect to be connected at all times or it won't work. What if Kinect malfunctions... then you are SOL with your Xbox. Makes no sense.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/21/ ... t-attached
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Tue May 21, 2013 4:23 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
Chefpatrick871 wrote:
Rylan wrote:Deus Ex Human Revolution is awesome. Its no Alpha Protocol but its definitely a sweet game.

Yes and yes.

I tend to be a review junkie (not all the time), and Alpha Protocol is pretty underwhelming in that respect. That being said, I'll give this game a shot based on the reviews of my LGP brethren.

It got a 71 on Metacritic.

The game can feel clunky at times, the graphics aren't exactly top of the line, and there might be occasional glitches. That said, it was one of the most fun experiences I have had with a game. If you look past its short comings; this game is deep and has a lot that is underrated. The game allows you to do things your way. For example, you can be a ninja that just sneaks around breaking necks, or you can be a shotgun toting tank. You have so many different ways to play the game that I have played through it 4 times and it wasn't stale. Oh, and best part is that in those 4 times playing, I have had 4 different endings. Yea, it was super cool.

Its recommended because it does so many things right, that failing it for its shortcomings is an injustice.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Tue May 21, 2013 4:38 pm

The name of the product - Xbox One - is absolutely terrible. Their chief competitor uses a numerical naming convention for their product, except their '1' was released nearly 20 years ago. It makes what is supposed to be a cutting edge, forward looking product sound old right off the bat.

And whether or not it's a PS4 or an Xbox One.... you're still looking at graphical and processing capability that will, on the day these new machines launch, still lag behind a good gaming PC. Which means they will never catch up, because six months after these things street there will be new GFX cards and processors available for PC.

Consoles have their utility, don't get me wrong. But people need to keep the fawning in check and realize that they're ballyhooing outstanding performance that PC gamers have had for 4 or 5 years already.

pittsoccer33 wrote:EA mentioned some, but Microsoft said the publishers and developers are holding off for E3 later this summer.

T-minus 21 days! 8-)

Was originally only planning on going on the first full day (second day of the show), but I wasn't factoring in the First Party announcements and such. Might have to make it a three-day jaunt.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby skullman80 on Tue May 21, 2013 4:42 pm

I like to not have to worry about whether my system meets specs or not like PC gamers do. I also don't want to have to upgrade my graphics card or ram to play the newest game. That's just me though. I get why some people prefer PC gaming, but consoles work better for me.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Tue May 21, 2013 4:57 pm

skullman80 wrote:I like to not have to worry about whether my system meets specs or not like PC gamers do. I also don't want to have to upgrade my graphics card or ram to play the newest game. That's just me though. I get why some people prefer PC gaming, but consoles work better for me.

This is my feeling. I like playing games, but I would much rather invest in procuring games than having to upgrade the machine needed to play them. I think PC gaming is cool, but it isn't for me. I like the convenience of the console. Besides, if graphics were a sole reason for playing a game, then I would have missed out on some fantastic games.

As for tifosi's point about the name of the XBOX, well it is utterly stupid. At no point does it make any sense to name it the Xbox ONE. Did they give a reason why it has such a stupid name?
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Tue May 21, 2013 4:57 pm

Oh, I agree. There's definitely a convenience factor in consoles that's hard to ignore. I'm just saying all this talk about 'next gen' sounds kinda silly to me.... because they're actually only just now catching up to the performance of my two-year old rig, which was just a middle-of-the-road box when I built it.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Tue May 21, 2013 5:04 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:Head of 343 studios (Halo) is pretty cute.

I didn't see the bit you're talking about, but I'm presuming you mean Kiki Wolfkill?
Spoiler:

She has a certain sass that I find appealing.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby skullman80 on Tue May 21, 2013 5:16 pm

Oh Go F Off microsoft....

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-9020_7-575 ... ails-hazy/

"Microsoft did say that if a disc was used with a second account, that owner would be given the option to pay a fee and install the game from the disc, which would then mean that the new account would also own the game and could play it without the disc."
While that doesn't mean the outright death of secondhand games, it could put a damper on the market. It's unclear how much the second installation fee will cost and how many additional accounts are allowed. It's also unclear if people can easily share games with friends or roommates and what the resale process will be like. Gamers who use a game for a couple weeks or months and then trade it in may find that much more difficult with the Xbox One.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Tue May 21, 2013 5:38 pm

Well, if I'm reading that right it means that there can only be one 'owner' of a game at a time. So if I buy a game and loan it to a buddy, he installs it and pays the fee, he now owns the game. I won't be able to play the game on my machine anymore. (The article is silent on whether or not I can re-activate my original account.... which, presumably, would disable the loaner account.)
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rylan on Tue May 21, 2013 5:41 pm

tifosi77 wrote:Well, if I'm reading that right it means that there can only be one 'owner' of a game at a time. So if I buy a game and loan it to a buddy, he installs it and pays the fee, he now owns the game. I won't be able to play the game on my machine anymore. (The article is silent on whether or not I can re-activate my original account.... which, presumably, would disable the loaner account.)

That is pretty stupid. Like really stupid. In fact, that is pretty ridiculous. Lower the prices of games and you would likely see more people buy new. Jeez, I am not going to spend $60 on a game when I wait a year or 2 and I can get it for $10. Now if it was $30 or even $40 I would be more likely to consider purchasing earlier.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby farnham16 on Tue May 21, 2013 5:59 pm

I'm an Xbox user. But with the news of the Kinect being required and also having to install every single game to your harddrive and pay a fee if you want to use a game on a second account, I'll be buying a PS4.

Microsoft is moving away from the hardcore gaming scene. Its painfully obviously with their new system. In no way are games the biggest priority on this new system. I could care less about watching TV or getting on Twitter on my gaming console, I just want to play games. And this new machine is not all about games. Sony is more about games now.

Bye bye Xbox, hello Sony. Oh and I still have Nintendo. Nothing could ever make me leave Nintendo :)
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sarcastic on Tue May 21, 2013 6:05 pm

I'm completely speechless at that ^.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Tue May 21, 2013 6:07 pm

I mean, how many times have we all borrowed a game from a friend and played it on our own system. That's a complete dealbreaker and a pretty shocking one, at that.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Tue May 21, 2013 6:08 pm

What does it mean for the game rental industry?
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Tue May 21, 2013 6:09 pm

It seems that Microsoft may have backed off a bit fromm what I posted above in that article. So I guess we will have to just wait and see.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-9020_7-575 ... ails-hazy/

"We are designing Xbox One to enable customers to trade in and resell games," the spokesman said. "We'll have more details to share later."
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Tue May 21, 2013 6:14 pm

If it means one has to pay a transfer fee of any kind, then forget about it. I wasn't going to buy it anyway, but just saying. What about rentals that go through hundreds of people. Microsoft better watch it.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Tue May 21, 2013 6:15 pm

I'm getting the Monkey King DLC in sleeping dogs. You get a fun outfit, a staff, and a motorcycle. Also, the Triad Enforcer DLC for the golden cleaver.
Last edited by Sarcastic on Tue May 21, 2013 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR