Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed May 22, 2013 7:41 am

What is preventing someone from logging in to their xbox live account at their friend's place and installing the game? Thats what I do with the games I download now...which is virtually all of the games I play.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed May 22, 2013 8:03 am

Idoit40fans wrote:What is preventing someone from logging in to their xbox live account at their friend's place and installing the game? Thats what I do with the games I download now...which is virtually all of the games I play.

I am pretty certain it unlocks it on that specific machine, not the account.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed May 22, 2013 8:28 am

Haha, thats kind of funny. None of this impacts me whatsoever, so its amusing seeing everyone flip out over it.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed May 22, 2013 9:16 am

http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/21/xbox-one-used-games/

#1 - BUYING AND SELLING OF USED GAMES IS SUPPORTED
#2 - GAMES ARE INSTALLED IN THE BACKGROUND WHILE YOU PLAY
#3 - YOU CAN PLAY INSTALLED GAMES WITHOUT THE DISC
#4 - YOU CAN DOWNLOAD GAMES THAT WERE PURCHASED ON DISC
#5 - OFFLINE GAMEPLAY IS SUPPORTED
#6 - YOU CAN SHARE GAMES WITH THOSE IN YOUR "HOUSEHOLD"
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pavel Bure on Wed May 22, 2013 9:22 am

pittsoccer33 wrote:http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/21/xbox-one-used-games/

So does this mean when you're done with a game they'll have some X-box version of E-bay you can put the game up on? This is going to kill game stores and hurt electronics retailers even more... not that I'm bothered by that because it's a great idea.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed May 22, 2013 9:24 am

#4 - You can download games that were purchased on disc

Here's an interesting situation. What happens if you want to play a game you own on a friends console? You will, Penello says, have "the ability to go over to your friends house, download your save game, or even download your game to his Xbox and pick up where you left off." So, not only will your game saves be stored in the cloud, your entire game library will be and you'll be able to download it from anywhere.

Thats curious, it would be nice to get some clarification, because it seems contrary to what everyone else here is saying. Are they making it up or is this just not providing all the information?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Wed May 22, 2013 9:42 am

twc, starting to get to the end of Metroid Other M. The game overall hasn't been too bad. Going from 3rd to 1st person has been tough in some fights, but so far hasn't caused a major issue.

My biggest complaint though, in all of the previous Metroid games, Samus was the silent bounty hunter that just went out and kicked butt. But in this one, they make her seem like a whiny little ***** who has major woman issues. The story line is decent, but the way they portray her, it takes away some of the badass out of her.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Wed May 22, 2013 10:00 am

Im up to 53% on Lego Undercover. got about 15% last night just running around to every building. this is a blast. one of the better games ive played recently.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed May 22, 2013 11:02 am

http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/21/x86- ... -nintendo/

Article reiterates a post I made about how Wii U is going to be hurt by its hardware being so different than the PS4 and Xbox One. Its just unappealing to program for.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby newarenanow on Wed May 22, 2013 11:30 am

pittsoccer33 wrote:http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/21/x86-architecture-vs-nintendo/

Article reiterates a post I made about how Wii U is going to be hurt by its hardware being so different than the PS4 and Xbox One. Its just unappealing to program for.

Yeah, while I am a Nintendo fanboy, and will continue to buy Nintendo mainly because I love their core games, they are way behind the curve when it comes to technology. They have some fun gimicky technology, but when it comes to what "gamers" want, and 3rd party developers work with, they are behind.

For how big that company is, and how strong they once were, it's amazing that they fell this far behind the curve.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Wed May 22, 2013 1:39 pm

I know I've mentioned it here before, but Nintendo DS (newer varieties at least) have a great download feature that's available for most games. Want to play a friend in Super Mario Brothers, but don't own the game? It allows the DSes to connect and download the game to another device (local, not over the internet). Not all games have this, and some newer titles don't even offer co-op play (Lego Undercover was one such game, as we discovered on a roadtrip, which led to 7 hours of fighting over the game :face: ), but it works on many Nintendo titles.

The thing is, once you shut the device down, the download is gone - and must be downloaded again in order to play. Why can't M$ do something like this?
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed May 22, 2013 1:47 pm

The equivalent would be handing someone your second controller.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Wed May 22, 2013 2:53 pm

If you bring your game to a friend's and install it, it will ask you to pay the full price. So how would that be different from logging onto your account there and downloading the/your game? If you need to log onto your account once a day, then two friends could talk it out and schedule when they connect and then turn off their connections, then play games installed on each other's accounts? This whole thing sounds like a pain in the a. And it still doesn't take away the entire connect-once-a-day issue.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Wed May 22, 2013 2:57 pm

Why do all women in the bar in Sleeping Dogs look the same? And why do none of the civilians talk to me? It was absolutely glorious walking around in Saints Row 2 and having some drunken dude tell me 'you smell', before I beat him up.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shyster on Wed May 22, 2013 3:39 pm

I took a step back from exploration in Kerbal Space Program and used the parts in the KW Rocketry mod to design a new series of launchers. My goal is to create a complete family of launchers capable of lifting a certain specified payload to a 100 km circular orbit. The light/medium launchers have capacities of 10, 15, and 20 tons, the heavy launchers have capacities of 40, 60, 80, and 100 tons, and the super-heavy launchers have capacities of 120, 140, 160, 180, and 200 tons. I still need to finish the 120, 140, 160, and 180, but all of the rest are complete and fully tested using dummy loads.

Each launcher has a Mechjeb part installed so that they can be separately controlled, and they have batteries and a few small solar panels for an independent electrical system. I designed each one so that after whatever is left of the booster places its payload into orbit, it still has just enough fuel left on board to turn around and execute a deorbit burn. That way Kerbin’s orbit stays free of space junk.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tifosi77 on Wed May 22, 2013 3:47 pm

Sarcastic wrote:Microsoft is acting like there is a huge problem with console game piracy. That just isn't the case from what I know. I did recently see a warez website where guys were teaching how to hack an older version of ps3 with some app someone made to enable it to play pirated ps3 games. Site also had a buuuuuuunch of ps3 games ready for download. That surprised me because I never even heard of a recent console being hacked/pirated.

Disclaimer: I take part in weekly calls with the ESA Piracy Committee and I'm my company's point of contact for U.S. Customs and Border Protection when bootleg product is sized.

The study in that link states that "...the numbers in our investigation suggest that previously reported magnitudes in game piracy are too high," but also notes that "...P2P game piracy is extraordinarily prevalent and geographically distributed." So it's not as high as reported by the people who have a bias on it being high. (My industry) But it's not as low as the people who have a bias on presenting a low number. (Torrent operators) The exact number is impossible to pin down. But is it safe to say the cost to the industry is several hundred billion dollars a year? In all likelihood, yes.

There is a lot of piracy, even on the consoles. You need to physically mod the X360 to get it to play boots, which Microsoft runs a check for every time you connect to your Live account. (They can ban you immediately if they detect the mod, and the known methods for hiding the mod aren't 100% effective.) But it can be done in half and hour, a little longer if you need to swap the hard drive. PS3 can be hacked with software, provided you are running a certain firmware or lower. I think the Wii is supposedly the easiest to crack.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed May 22, 2013 3:54 pm

tifosi77 wrote: I think the Wii is supposedly the easiest to crack.

There are lots of Wii ISO files floating around the net. Playable on the Wii or Dolphin (an emulator).
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby farnham16 on Wed May 22, 2013 4:43 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Haha, thats kind of funny. None of this impacts me whatsoever, so its amusing seeing everyone flip out over it.

So just because it doesn't impact you that means theres no problem here?

Hell, I don't have an issue right now being able to have my console always connected to the internet, but that's not the point. Its the principle of the thing. What about all those people in the military that can't get an internet connection? They don't count anymore?

That's just one issue too. Honestly, my biggest issue with this is that its more about other forms of entertainment than it is about gaming. And maybe that's what you are looking for, but its sure as hell not what the hardcore gamer is looking for. I want the main focus of a video game console to be games, and that is certainly not the case with XboxOne.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby farnham16 on Wed May 22, 2013 4:46 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:

#4 - You can download games that were purchased on disc

Here's an interesting situation. What happens if you want to play a game you own on a friends console? You will, Penello says, have "the ability to go over to your friends house, download your save game, or even download your game to his Xbox and pick up where you left off." So, not only will your game saves be stored in the cloud, your entire game library will be and you'll be able to download it from anywhere.

Thats curious, it would be nice to get some clarification, because it seems contrary to what everyone else here is saying. Are they making it up or is this just not providing all the information?

Offline play is supported, but you have to connect to the internet at least once per day. Also, you have to connect to the internet to authorize the new game you bought before you can play it.

So technically you absolutely need an internet connection for this system.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby newarenanow on Wed May 22, 2013 4:48 pm

Nintendo is perfect for someone like me who just plays games that are more nostalgic in nature, and it is much simpiler as I don't care if the graphics are 100% top notch or the game play is flawless.

And I don't need all the other crap that comes with the other systems.

But I can definitely see why more hardcore people hate Nintendo. I would too if I were them.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby farnham16 on Wed May 22, 2013 4:48 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:What is preventing someone from logging in to their xbox live account at their friend's place and installing the game? Thats what I do with the games I download now...which is virtually all of the games I play.

I am pretty certain it unlocks it on that specific machine, not the account.

You can take a game over to a friends and use it on their Xbox, but you will have to login to your xbox account to play it on a different Xbox. If not, then your friend has to pay a fee (full retail price) to install the game.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby farnham16 on Wed May 22, 2013 4:55 pm

newarenanow wrote:Nintendo is perfect for someone like me who just plays games that are more nostalgic in nature, and it is much simpiler as I don't care if the graphics are 100% top notch or the game play is flawless.

And I don't need all the other crap that comes with the other systems.

But I can definitely see why more hardcore people hate Nintendo. I would too if I were them.

I'm a hardcore gamer and I love Nintendo. I always will. Nothing can make me turn my back on them. They are the best game developers in the world. There is nothing like the games they make. Too many in the hardcore gamer scene don't understand Nintendo and look it them the wrong way. Nintendo is not nor will never be Microsoft or Sony. And I would never want them to be. That's not to say Nintendo doesn't have its issues though. But I play a lot of PC and Xbox and I still love Nintendo.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sarcastic on Wed May 22, 2013 5:04 pm

Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby farnham16 on Wed May 22, 2013 5:07 pm

This whole thing is a disaster. Can't believe there's this much confusion.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby farnham16 on Wed May 22, 2013 5:51 pm

So it sounds like you don't have to pay a fee if you buy a used game at say Gamestop. However, you still have to pay a fee if you just want to borrow a friends game and play it on your Xbox.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to NHR