Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby slappybrown on Fri May 24, 2013 10:09 am

shafnutz05 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Played a good bit of Arkham City last night. I have trouble exploring the city rather than just powering through the main story. I wasn't expecting it to flow from one storyline to the next so fast.

Arkham City is one of those games that relies heavily on people wanting to unlock stuff and find a bunch of things for replay value. I enjoyed the game, but I just don't have the patience to look for 6,000 Riddler trophies for an achievement.

I kind of agree. I thought it was a good game, but I didn't think it lived up to some of the game of the year type hype.

The obsessive-compulsive NAN-style collecting aspect is boring IMO.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Spangler on Fri May 24, 2013 10:21 am

Idoit40fans wrote:I would love to do stuff like that, but the way the story unfolds, it makes it feel like its urgent to move it along.

I hate when games do that. Many games make it seem like THE WORLD IS GONNA DIE NOW, but you have the ability to go on a side quest where you bake cookies or something.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Fri May 24, 2013 11:27 am

I think slappy is obsessed with me.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slappybrown on Fri May 24, 2013 12:18 pm

newarenanow wrote:I think slappy is obsessed with me.

I don't know how else to describe those games. You are the foremost proponent of this type of game on LGP.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Fri May 24, 2013 12:19 pm

he wants to have a relationship with you, but is hesitant you'll cheat.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JeffDFD on Fri May 24, 2013 12:50 pm

PensHckyFan79 wrote:I played the first Assassins creed a while ago on my x-box and thought the game was alright I enjoyed the story and game play, but the missions got a bit repetitive. I'm thinking about getting Assassins Creed 2, is it worth the money? I think its $20 on Amazon and also would AC3 be worth it $29.5 on Amazon, I could also wait until I finish AC2 which AC3 will probably be $20. Do you need to play the brotherhood/revelations games to understand what is going on in the "main line" of the AC 1,2,3 games? Thanks.

We have talked about this plenty in this thread...go back and search for it, but basically - If you were starting today, I would tell you just to read about 1 and not even play it. And I would think you have get AC2 cheaper somewhere. It is pretty old. Check Craigslist and other places. I enjoyed Brotherhood and Reverlations, but they are more like expansions to 2 then separate games. They tell more of the story though, especially revelations - so I would not miss that one. But if you want to save money, you can find the story online
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby slappybrown on Fri May 24, 2013 12:51 pm

canaan wrote:

Is NAN a ladies' man?
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Fri May 24, 2013 1:05 pm

PensHckyFan79 wrote:I played the first Assassins creed a while ago on my x-box and thought the game was alright I enjoyed the story and game play, but the missions got a bit repetitive. I'm thinking about getting Assassins Creed 2, is it worth the money? I think its $20 on Amazon and also would AC3 be worth it $29.5 on Amazon, I could also wait until I finish AC2 which AC3 will probably be $20. Do you need to play the brotherhood/revelations games to understand what is going on in the "main line" of the AC 1,2,3 games? Thanks.

AC2 is one of the best games I've ever played. The story is fantastic, the overlap with real historical people and events is cool, and I got to murder people on a fountain step where my wife and I actually ate pizza on our honeymoon. It was a hoot.

The stories of 1, 2 & 3 are interconnected, but you don't really need to have played the earlier games to understand what's going on in the later games. It does enrich the experience, but it isn't necessary.

And I'd personally say that the 'numbered' AC games are worth the full price of admission in their own right. So if you can get them at a discounted price, more's the better.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri May 24, 2013 1:09 pm

AC2 is far better than AC1. Gameplay wise and storywise.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Fri May 24, 2013 1:26 pm

slappybrown wrote:
canaan wrote:

Is NAN a ladies' man?

No, I use walkthrough's and game genie.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Fri May 24, 2013 2:52 pm

Took the day off to get stuff done around the house for birthday party over weekend but I discovered super metroid for 30 cents, how doesn't my wife see playing that as getting stuff done?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Fri May 24, 2013 6:20 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:AC2 is far better than AC1. Gameplay wise and storywise.

Certainly, but I still think the first one was fun (despite the repetition). And I actually really dug the setting of the Holy Land during the Third Crusade.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Shyster on Fri May 24, 2013 8:01 pm

Godric wrote:Okay, so I just got my new PC and I'm looking to get a game to blow some spare time on.
I've been surfing the internet for a game the last couple days and no review or trailer or anything has really struck me.... I could really use a suggestion :thumb:

After looking back over my Steam library, I'll add the Witcher games to my list of recommendations.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Fri May 24, 2013 8:27 pm

Another interesting PC game - free this weekend from Steam, and then only $9 - is Chivalry. Do you like FPS? How about a Medieval FPS? There you go. Looks like a blast. I'm going to try it out.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Sarcastic on Fri May 24, 2013 8:32 pm

wow, this dude is really screwed. (Chivalry)

Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Chefpatrick871 on Fri May 24, 2013 11:17 pm

The new to console port from 3ds Resident Evil Revelations is really fun. Story is set in between RE 4 and 5. A lot to like about this game.
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sarcastic on Sat May 25, 2013 3:40 am

Crap Dogs game.

So I get a message on my phone that I got a valet now who can bring me a "car" ANY TIME. OK. So I call him up and he says.. suuuuu're I'll bring you a car. Then that moron drives up on a MOTORCYCLE. And he says, "HE'S YOUR CAR". F YOU. I HATE THIS GAME. Then like 2 minutes later, it starts RAINING. So I call again to see if he brings me a CAR this time. He tells me he DOESN'T HAVE TIME. F!!!!! THIS IS THE WORST GAME EVER MADE. I don't care what you two say (rylan and tif).
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Sat May 25, 2013 4:04 pm

so i think id like to buy some new games. last 360 games i bought were arkham asylum and modern warfare 3. last pc games i bought were call of duty 2 and gta san andreas.

im thinking these ones:
gta 4
assassins creed 1-3
bioshock

my question is do i want them for 360 or computer? both are plugged into my hdtv and receiver.

360 pros:
-already own the controller
-no issues with graphics and resolutions
-probably will have an easier time getting cheap used copies

360 cons:
-have to physically change discs
-dont subscribe to xbox live

pc pros:
-free online play (not that id do it much)
-more accurate kb&m
-can integrate game library into my media library and launch games from there

pc cons:
-i dont have the most powerful pc (i use an amd a10 5800k apu)
-dont know of a good way to set up a keyboard and mouse to use on an easy chair
-would likely have to install steam, and i dont like installing software on my htpc

if im going to end up using a 360 controller on my pc i might as well get the 360 versions of the games, right?
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sarcastic on Sat May 25, 2013 4:28 pm

Ahh, now I know why you aren't as critical of the new xbox as others. You're an xbox boy. :P
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Sat May 25, 2013 4:29 pm

But.... if you're never played the Bioshock series, then what are you waiting for?
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Sat May 25, 2013 4:31 pm

To be honest, and I mean honest for real not joking honest, if you don't have a PS3, then you should get it and some of the exclusives on it.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Sat May 25, 2013 4:31 pm

sorry for separate posts... lol... random thoughts.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Sat May 25, 2013 4:35 pm

if im going to end up using a 360 controller on my pc i might as well get the 360 versions of the games, right?

if you're planning on adding mods then PC, of course, but if you don't care about that then to me as an old time pc-gamer, i find ps3 gaming more convenient now. also, i think i played bioshock with mouse/keyboard on the ps3, not a gamepad.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Sat May 25, 2013 4:45 pm

i think id probably like uncharted and gods of war. i only actually bought the xbox for its media center extender mode (a used 360 was cheaper than the dedicated extenders from linksys, hp, and dlink). so i was one of those rare weirdos microsoft is targeting to buy a multimedia device and get gaming thrown in as a bonus.

i think i became anti playstation when all the playstation kids in high school were anti snes/n64. the bluray thing and its original cost sealed the deal on ps3 - i backed hd-dvd :( i definitely dont play games enough to warrant buying a system. i wont get the next xbox until either a) they turn it into a full blown dvr or b) a used one is around $100
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Avyran on Sat May 25, 2013 4:47 pm

In terms of price, you can buy those games for much, much cheaper online (unless you buy used). Steam, Amazon, and a few other sites will run sales for 66%, 75% off a couple times a year. If you're willing to be patient & wait for the good sale, you probably wouldn't have to spend over $20 for all of those games (except AC3, perhaps, and the Bioshock sequels if you want them). I know you don't want to install software on your PC, but Steam (and Amazon downloads) have genuinely changed how I shop for & play games.

(This requires that you have a decent internet speed, btw.)
Avyran
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to NHR