Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby Chefpatrick871 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:03 pm

As a former soldier who spent time in Kuwait, I can attest to having video games being a good morale boost. Shame on you Microsoft.
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,271
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:56 pm
Location: Eating muffins with Derpy

Re: Current video game being played

Postby Kaizer on Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:21 pm

Chefpatrick871 wrote:As a former soldier who spent time in Kuwait, I can attest to having video games being a good morale boost. Shame on you Microsoft.


oh yeah. our N64 with Goldeneye was the deployment MVP.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,377
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:02 am
Location: Crazy Town

Re: Current video game being played

Postby JeffDFD on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:21 pm

Chefpatrick871 wrote:As a former soldier who spent time in Kuwait, I can attest to having video games being a good morale boost. Shame on you Microsoft.


Didn't you hear their executive? They have 360 for you! Duh!
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,579
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 2:55 pm
Location: Inside the tumor in Crosby's neck.

Re: Current video game being played

Postby Chefpatrick871 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:44 pm

Kaizer wrote:
Chefpatrick871 wrote:As a former soldier who spent time in Kuwait, I can attest to having video games being a good morale boost. Shame on you Microsoft.


oh yeah. our N64 with Goldeneye was the deployment MVP.

Dreamcast Tony Hawk pro skater 2 and some football game.
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,271
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:56 pm
Location: Eating muffins with Derpy

Re: Current video game being played

Postby demondg1 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:01 am

Chefpatrick871 wrote:
Kaizer wrote:
Chefpatrick871 wrote:As a former soldier who spent time in Kuwait, I can attest to having video games being a good morale boost. Shame on you Microsoft.


oh yeah. our N64 with Goldeneye was the deployment MVP.

Dreamcast Tony Hawk pro skater 2 and some football game.


Tonihoktu?
demondg1
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,605
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:30 pm
Location: Parts Unknown

Re: Current video game being played

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:47 am

Okay, went to E3 yesterday and left way earlier than I had planned because the show was so dull. Seriously, there were booths that looked unfinished, as if it was day 2 of the build up rather than day 2 of the actual show. I gather next year will be jammin' since all the new content for the Next Gen consoles will be on display. As it was, the only interesting thing I saw was "Last Of Us" at the Sony booth..... but...... that comes out tomorrow, and I can watch it on my TV. So..... yeah..... oh, there's going to be a Mad Max game coming out later. That sounds fun.

The one genuinely cool thing I saw was at Turtle Beach. They had assembled five prolific voice over actors for a Q&A forum, including James Burns (Woods from CODBLOPS), Nolan North (Nathan Drake from Uncharted, Desmond Miles from Assassin's Creed) and Troy Baker (Booker DeWitt from Bioshock Infinite, Joel from The Last Of Us). Baker and North were a riot; apparently they also voice the Autobots Cliffjumper and Jazz, respectively, in Transformers video games. Baker's Jazz sounded like a Richard Pryor character, as they did a little improv scene on the stage. They got permission to record their dialog together, which is not normal in a VO scenario. They pitched it as a great opportunity to get some promotional B-roll footage and whatnot. And like 10 minutes in it had devolved into a juvenile mess of profanity and innuendo, and the producer was like, "Good lord, I can't use any of this..."

But Burns made a few points that key in with what's been said about troops on deployment. He's been on many USO tours recently, and he said guys can't thank him enough. They absolutely love their video games, almost to the point of dependency. It gives them a connection to home, and a sense of normalcy that really helps them cope with the stresses of being in combat. Further, he said it's almost more important for the support personnel, because they don't have the combat role to play. So they're just in a war zone doing what amounts to a 9-to-5 job. So it's a great pressure release valve. Even for the combat guys it's important. They come of a week-long patrol in the field (or whatever they call it nowadays), and after they've got everything checked back in they'll fire up COD.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,444
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: Current video game being played

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:16 am

Tif what are your feelings on each box given what you've heard so far?
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,439
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:06 pm

Re: Current video game being played

Postby Rylan on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:42 am

PS4 has the better hardware. xbox has the better exclusives.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,018
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: Current video game being played

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:56 am

M$ is being very direct on requirements but vague on benefits.

So Kinect and the internet are completely central to using the One. Ok, cool I guess. What is the benefit? Allegedly servers are going to help render graphics. How will that work? What does it bring to the table? And exactly what kind of bandwidth is that?
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,439
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:06 pm

Re: Current video game being played

Postby Rylan on Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:04 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:M$ is being very direct on requirements but vague on benefits.

So Kinect and the internet are completely central to using the One. Ok, cool I guess. What is the benefit? Allegedly servers are going to help render graphics. How will that work? What does it bring to the table? And exactly what kind of bandwidth is that?


I have been very surprised at the lack of any sort of damage control. They continue to spout things off and it just keeps making them worse (example: we have an offline console, the xbox 360)
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,018
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: Current video game being played

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:42 pm

So no thoughts on a headset that I can use with my surround sound speakers?

Also I've read conflicting things about using the USB ports on my Xbox arcade model. I have a 20gb hard drive for it. I downloaded Fable 3 last night. That and some game saves are all that is on it, but I only have 7GB remaining.

What exactly can I use the USB ports to save and what kind of drive do I need? Am I to understand a 16GB drive formatted to FAT32 is my only choice, and it can only save game progess, not actual games?
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,439
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:06 pm

Re: Current video game being played

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:22 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:Tif what are your feelings on each box given what you've heard so far?

Xbox One - $500 doorstop that monitors you

PS4 - made of win

pittsoccer33 wrote:And exactly what kind of bandwidth is that?

They've been saying a 1.5 mbs connection will be sort of the norm. I was reading a column yesterday that intimated that this harks back to the days of AOL and dialup where you had to make sure no one was using the phone before you got online. Now, you'll have to make sure no one else is using the internet when you want to play XBO games. Figure the average connection speed in the U.S. is ~7 mbs, I'm sure that some action games and shooters on the XBO will require every last byte of that pipeline.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,444
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: Current video game being played

Postby canaan on Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:29 pm

has there been any indication about the playstation 4 having party chat? it was a big factor in me purchasing a 360 and having the ps3 become a dust bunny headquarters, outside of LBP2 and netflix/bluray
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 38,957
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 11:13 am
Location: Fritos. On. My. Sub.

Re: Current video game being played

Postby AlexPKeaton on Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:37 pm

canaan wrote:has there been any indication about the playstation 4 having party chat? it was a big factor in me purchasing a 360 and having the ps3 become a dust bunny headquarters, outside of LBP2 and netflix/bluray


Yes I'm almost positive they said it woudl have it.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,708
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:46 am
Location: Malkinite Compound

Re: Current video game being played

Postby AlexPKeaton on Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:38 pm

tifosi77 wrote:
pittsoccer33 wrote:Tif what are your feelings on each box given what you've heard so far?

Xbox One - $500 doorstop that monitors you

PS4 - made of win


Yeah that NSA thing couldn't have hit at a worse time for MS. Trying to sell a console with an always on camera that phone's home every night, and the leaked slides saying that MS was the first company to sell out to the NSA lolololol.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,708
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:46 am
Location: Malkinite Compound

Re: Current video game being played

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:44 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:
canaan wrote:has there been any indication about the playstation 4 having party chat? it was a big factor in me purchasing a 360 and having the ps3 become a dust bunny headquarters, outside of LBP2 and netflix/bluray


Yes I'm almost positive they said it woudl have it.


Excellent
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 57,112
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: Current video game being played

Postby Sarcastic on Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:45 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:Yeah that NSA thing couldn't have hit at a worse time for MS. Trying to sell a console with an always on camera that phone's home every night, and the leaked slides saying that MS was the first company to sell out to the NSA lolololol.


lol, I love it how you put it. now I'd be scared to own that thing.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,283
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:49 pm

Re: Current video game being played

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:47 pm

Sarcastic wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:Yeah that NSA thing couldn't have hit at a worse time for MS. Trying to sell a console with an always on camera that phone's home every night, and the leaked slides saying that MS was the first company to sell out to the NSA lolololol.


lol, I love it how you put it. now I'd be scared to own that thing.


Well Verizon was the first one info was leaked on, and how many of you have a multi camera, microphone attached, gps located, always internet connected Verizon device in your pocket :wink:
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,439
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:06 pm

Re: Current video game being played

Postby Rylan on Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:48 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:Yeah that NSA thing couldn't have hit at a worse time for MS. Trying to sell a console with an always on camera that phone's home every night, and the leaked slides saying that MS was the first company to sell out to the NSA lolololol.


lol, I love it how you put it. now I'd be scared to own that thing.


Well Verizon was the first one info was leaked on, and how many of you have a multi camera, microphone attached, gps located, always internet connected Verizon device in your pocket :wink:


Pocket is different from visually seeing into my home.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,018
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: Current video game being played

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:51 pm

They really must be banking on what the Kinect will do going forward. They'd be at (or maybe below) Sony's price if it wasn't for that thing.

I didn't see either announce a game that would come in the box. Is that just a thing of the past?
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,439
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:06 pm

Re: Current video game being played

Postby Rylan on Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:57 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:They really must be banking on what the Kinect will do going forward. They'd be at (or maybe below) Sony's price if it wasn't for that thing.

I didn't see either announce a game that would come in the box. Is that just a thing of the past?


Could be too early to determine what game would be in the box.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,018
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: Current video game being played

Postby Sarcastic on Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:03 pm

Rylan wrote:Pocket is different from visually seeing into my home.


You would be sitting around in your underwear playing a video game and some dude in Utah could be getting off on you. Ugh. Might as well go be a Camboy.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,283
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:49 pm

Re: Current video game being played

Postby newarenanow on Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:14 pm

Finished story mode on Lego LOTR. Now starting my exploration of middle earth. Seems to be a lot to do.

31%
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,458
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: Current video game being played

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:15 pm

I'm currently naning arkham city
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,245
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Current video game being played

Postby AlexPKeaton on Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:18 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:Yeah that NSA thing couldn't have hit at a worse time for MS. Trying to sell a console with an always on camera that phone's home every night, and the leaked slides saying that MS was the first company to sell out to the NSA lolololol.


lol, I love it how you put it. now I'd be scared to own that thing.


Well Verizon was the first one info was leaked on, and how many of you have a multi camera, microphone attached, gps located, always internet connected Verizon device in your pocket :wink:


Yeah but look who is at the beginning here lol.

Image
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,708
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:46 am
Location: Malkinite Compound

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


e-mail