Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:20 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:Yeah that NSA thing couldn't have hit at a worse time for MS. Trying to sell a console with an always on camera that phone's home every night, and the leaked slides saying that MS was the first company to sell out to the NSA lolololol.

lol, I love it how you put it. now I'd be scared to own that thing.

Well Verizon was the first one info was leaked on, and how many of you have a multi camera, microphone attached, gps located, always internet connected Verizon device in your pocket :wink:

Isn't this all the kind of stuff Sarcastic is in favor of?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:29 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Isn't this all the kind of stuff Sarcastic is in favor of?

not if it's involuntary and if you ain't getting paid.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:31 pm

tifosi77 wrote:Xbox One - $500 doorstop that monitors you

You deal with IP theft and piracy and the like, yes? So even knowing the inside info that you have you still oppose this? Interesting.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:34 pm

I can vouch for tif's strong stance against piracy, so if anything I think his condemnation of the XBone carries more merit
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:36 pm

What I want to know tif, is why the console industry just doesn't do the same thing that steam does? Offer a competing digital download service that does not replace retail, but competes with it. Offer crazy sales. Have day 1 release prices $5-10 less than physical copies. I mean this seems like a no brainer way to combat used game sales.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sarcastic on Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:41 pm

if i'm gonna flash my ass for some NSA agent, i better get paid!
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:41 pm

:shock:
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:44 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote: Have day 1 release prices $5-10 less than physical copies. I mean this seems like a no brainer way to combat used game sales.

Thats the only reason I buy used. I don't care about playing things day one. There are tons of great games I've never tried or even heard of. Bioshock was $10 on ebay, $15 at The Exchange, $20 thru Steam (for PC), and $20 I think thru Xbox. So I value that game at $10.

I've read a lot of back and forth about the cost of game development, the need to limit used games, etc. I can see where I'm the industry's worst customer - I bought my console used and my games used. They directly make no cash off of me. They'd be much happier if I was lined up outside Gamestop for COD Ghosts in November rather than picking it up next summer.

But what I'm interested to see is how many [less?] people will be lining up to buy that $60 game if they know it has an extremely limited resale value? Will fewer copies of some of these things be sold? If someone typically buys a game on release day for $60 and sells it two weeks later for $50, that tells me they place $10 worth of value on that game.
Last edited by pittsoccer33 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:44 pm

Rylan wrote::shock:

You can't be
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:07 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:You deal with IP theft and piracy and the like, yes? So even knowing the inside info that you have you still oppose this? Interesting.

I certainly do. But I'm also a consumer. You don't fight piracy by making life miserable for the 95% of your customers who are legit. This is the same mistake the music industry made a decade ago.

AlexPKeaton wrote:What I want to know tif, is why the console industry just doesn't do the same thing that steam does? Offer a competing digital download service that does not replace retail, but competes with it. Offer crazy sales. Have day 1 release prices $5-10 less than physical copies. I mean this seems like a no brainer way to combat used game sales.

It's actually a bit more complicated than that. Steam is a great product for PC gaming; I have not bought a physical good PC game in two years. But that distribution model gets a little wonky for consoles. Some of the games on PS4 are 20-25 gigs of data, and some PS4 consoles only have an 80 gig HDD. You'd never be able to install more than 4 or 5 games at a time. Plus there's no trade-in value for a downloaded game, so consumers have a built in disincentive to downloading if they are different from me and don't keep all their 10-year old games, and that means that digital distribution is not likely to take off for a while yet.
Last edited by tifosi77 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tifosi77
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Rylan on Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:09 pm

Exactly my thoughts tif.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:17 pm

I think the PS4 will have a 500GB disk, as will Xbox One.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:18 pm

I think i'm going to get on X-Box One for my living room, one for my bedroom, and one for my bathroom. The third one won't have a tv, I just want the NSA to be able to bask in my glory. I have a clear shower curtain.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:25 pm

Sarcastic wrote:I think the PS4 will have a 500GB disk, as will Xbox One.

I cant remember if it was this or another forum, but I bet during their lifecycles that each of them gets updated to a solid state hybrid drive. Those are too expensive now to ship at the price points they want, but two years down the line they will be able to load the operating system and other useful things onto the ssd portion and the saved games onto the tradition part.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rylan on Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:26 pm

i wanted a 1 TB HDD.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:43 pm

It's also supporting a much more robust operating system, and the games themselves are likely going to be bigger than PS3 titles. Still limited to the 35 gb capacity of a BD, but that may change in time. At any rate, there will likely be more and more games that make use of the full BD, so instead of a bunch of 5-10 gb games plus the odd Crysis 3 that chews up 30 gb, the average game footprint might be upwards of 35-30 gb.

However, Sony has confirmed that the HDD in PS4 will be removable and upgradeable.
tifosi77
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby eddysnake on Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:46 pm

tifosi77 wrote:Okay, went to E3 yesterday

did you happen to visit any of the Nintendo booths?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Shyster on Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:31 pm

Kerbal Space Program is 33% off on Steam for this weekend ($15.40).

In addition, the enhanced editions of Witcher and Witcher 2 are on sale for $3.39 and $6.79, respectively.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Iof holdfy cap one on Shydyers is dpoubd go plkease peyay fewr mew

Postby AlexPKeaton on Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:33 pm

tifosi77 wrote:

It's also supporting a much more robust operating system, and the games themselves are likely going to be bigger than PS3 titles. Still limited to the 35 gb capacity of a BD, but that may change in time. At any rate, there will likely be more and more games that make use of the full BD, so instead of a bunch of 5-10 gb games plus the odd Crysis 3 that chews up 30 gb, the average game footprint might be upwards of 35-30 gb.

However, Sony has confirmed that the HDD in PS4 will be removable and upgradeable.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but dont' console games use that much space because they are designed to be loaded off the disk during the game? PC games use much less disk space because they are compressed and the installer decompresses it during the install. If consoles just mandated installs for everything, they wouldn't need to use that much space.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Shyster on Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:39 pm

It’s not relevant to gameplay, but the fact that I can't holster the gun I’m carrying in Bioshock Infinite is really bugging the heck out of me. Not only do I end up sweeping people with the weapon that I don’t want to shoot (like Elizabeth), but I’m depicted as constantly keeping my finger on the trigger of whatever weapon I have active. A diligent gun owner/shooter would never do that in real life.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Iof holdfy cap one on Shydyers is dpoubd go plkease peyay fewr mew

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:57 pm

If games are at all like movie discs they don't worry about compressing because they don't have to. A dual layer DVD holds 8gb and bluray 50. As long as what they have fits they have no incentive to squish the footprint.

Now if they need to spend money on extra bandwidth you will see it happen
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rylan on Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:58 pm

I hate games where I can't either holster the weapon or the gun continues pointing into someone's chest when I talk to them.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:03 pm

yeah, like when i try running around with the shotgun or machine gun in Sleeping Dogs, the moment i step onto the street, someone sees me and then i have a cop on my ass and i have to run. i got arrested 2 times in 10 minutes today. $50K fine. luckily i have almost $2 million now. then i got pissed off and started shooting them.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:04 pm

:shock:
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:07 pm

Rylan if you're not too busy help me look for Coroner CDs for cma. They've suddenly gone out of print.

he needs r.i.p., no more color, mental vortex. punishment for decadence is still available.
Last edited by Sarcastic on Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR