Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby Shyster on Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:19 pm

The designers of Bioshock Infinite did a really good job with making the characters (particularly Elizabeth), emotive and expressive. Right now, she’s mad at me and is all frustrated and pouty. Very well done.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:25 pm

Shyster wrote:The designers of Bioshock Infinite did a really good job with making the characters (particularly Elizabeth), emotive and expressive. Right now, she’s mad at me and is all frustrated and pouty. Very well done.

I still have to play that one. I thought Bioshock 1 was 5/5. 2 was 4/5. I hope 3 isn't 3/5. :scared:
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:14 pm

I thought Infinite was so good it changed the rules of the way I rank games. An easy 5/5, but better than any other 5/5 game I've played (including the original Bioshock). Gameplay was a little wonky for me with some frustratingly easy AI in parts, but the story and characters were so well conceived and executed that I feel any complaints would be playing at the edges.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:35 pm

I didn't realize PS4 was so much more powerful than Xbox One. Yikes. The article has an error too, the PS4 has 18 CUs, not 16, as people commenting point out. I hope game developers take advantage of the extra power on the PS4.

http://ps4daily.com/2013/06/playstation-4-has-a-huge-hardware-advantage-over-the-xbox-one/
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Avyran on Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:42 pm

Sarcastic wrote:Check out Destiny coming to PS4 and Xbox One. Suck it, PC gamerz.
(Deleted Youtube clip to shorten post)

Ummm...
A Bungie developer has said the firm is keen on the prospect of bringing its next big game, Destiny, to PC.

We have a lot of people who play on PCs. We have a lot of appetite to build that experience. We haven't announced it yet, but we're looking forward to talking more about that kind of stuff in the future.

Not saying that it'll come out for PC, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if Destiny came to PC fairly soon after its console release. Especially since it's coming to both PS4 & X-Bone, there's no precedent to withhold it from PC like Halo was for X-Box.
Avyran
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:58 pm

Sarcastic wrote:I didn't realize PS4 was so much more powerful than Xbox One. Yikes. The article has an error too, the PS4 has 18 CUs, not 16, as people commenting point out. I hope game developers take advantage of the extra power on the PS4.

http://ps4daily.com/2013/06/playstation-4-has-a-huge-hardware-advantage-over-the-xbox-one/

i doubt you see much use of it initially but definitely after a year or two the developers will figure out how to utilize it. especially sony exclusive games.

microsoft is saying that things like blades of grass, smoke, fog, rain, etc can be rendered by a server over the internet and shipped to you. no idea how that will help.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:10 pm

Avyran wrote:Not saying that it'll come out for PC, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if Destiny came to PC fairly soon after its console release. Especially since it's coming to both PS4 & X-Bone, there's no precedent to withhold it from PC like Halo was for X-Box.

That's a ton of money they'd be missing out on for sure.

I also read an article somewhere that Titanfall may come to PS4. Seems like the developers would really like that, and are trying to see how they can get around their exclusivity deal with Microsoft.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:12 pm

while the Xbox One only has 12 compute units, the PlayStation 4 has 16. That’s a 50% increase in raw compute power.

:pop: Nice editing.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:13 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:microsoft is saying that things like blades of grass, smoke, fog, rain, etc can be rendered by a server over the internet and shipped to you. no idea how that will help.

Which kind of shoots holes in the you-don't-need-to-be-online-constantly-to-play-games talk.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:17 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
while the Xbox One only has 12 compute units, the PlayStation 4 has 16. That’s a 50% increase in raw compute power.

:pop: Nice editing.

They explain how that works --- read the comments below.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:27 pm

tifosi77 wrote:
pittsoccer33 wrote:microsoft is saying that things like blades of grass, smoke, fog, rain, etc can be rendered by a server over the internet and shipped to you. no idea how that will help.

Which kind of shoots holes in the you-don't-need-to-be-online-constantly-to-play-games talk.

All I know is that considering PS4 is the more powerful machine and on top of that doesn't deal with the rest of the issues, especially he used games market, I don't know why someone would choose the new Xbox. Unless they really buy into the whole one-piece-to-run-everything idea that Microsoft is pushing which, imo, is totally bogus. I want a gaming machine, not a media center. Just think for a moment. Xbox has slower memory and uses 2 more GB of it to run the OS and also has to use some to run other things in the background. We are talking potentially a major hit in performance vs PS4.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shyster on Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:04 pm

Sarcastic wrote:
Shyster wrote:The designers of Bioshock Infinite did a really good job with making the characters (particularly Elizabeth), emotive and expressive. Right now, she’s mad at me and is all frustrated and pouty. Very well done.

I still have to play that one. I thought Bioshock 1 was 5/5. 2 was 4/5. I hope 3 isn't 3/5. :scared:

It’s a very good game. I’m not sure I like it better than the first one, but neither would I say it’s any worse. The graphics are excellent, the characters are interesting, and the plot seems to be well-written and compelling. There are games that I would rank higher; for example, I would say that Thief, Half-Life, and Deus Ex were better games for their times than Bioshock Infinite is now. Still, I don’t regret paying full price for it.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:27 pm

OK, OK. I'll move it up the list. Just summer is here and I will not be able to play so much. I am so backed up, I can't handle all these games. I just finished Sleeping Dogs and Gunslinger. Now I planned on doing Deus Ex Human Revolution (1st one is one of my fav. of all time and I finished it several times.. also found an inventory glitch where I could carry all the weapons, putting items on top of items - that made things more fun), but I'm already tired of sitting on my ass. I hope it's not too long.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:14 pm

Talked to one of our Ops guys at lunch today. He said they had a meeting with MSFT during E3 last week, and they spent half the meeting trying to shill for how awesome the XBONE was going to be. Said it was kind of embarrassing, actually.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:17 pm

Went to Fry's and procured all the bits and bobs I need to connect ye PS3 to ye computer monitor.... well, all except the y-connector for the audio. So now I have to make a special trip to Radio Trash to get a stupid $3 cord.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby SolidSnake on Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:26 pm

Used my gamestop rewards points to get a $25 off any item coupon and used it to get Borderlands 2 for $30 so I only payed $5 for it. I'll take it.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:12 pm

tifosi77 wrote:Went to Fry's and procured all the bits and bobs I need to connect ye PS3 to ye computer monitor.... well, all except the y-connector for the audio. So now I have to make a special trip to Radio Trash to get a stupid $3 cord.

Why don't you just get a medium sized HDTV? I am using here a TV... it's either 32 or 37 inch.. i forget... and i have another computer connected to a big HDTV in another room for when I do decide to get into a PC game. I'm not sure it makes sense to buy a monitor anymore when you can use a TV. Then you could easily connect all of it with HDMI.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:23 pm

So there is apparently a rumor floating around that Bethesda's press-only presentation at E3 was Fallout 5, projected for a 2015 release. A small team was working on it, but this has picked up a lot since Skyrim was finished.

http://www.strategyinformer.com/news/23535/rumour-fallout-4-was-bethesdas-press-only-tease-at-e3
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby the wicked child on Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:07 pm

Shyster wrote:
the wicked child wrote:I'm wondering if I didn't make a mistake getting it for PC though... The controls are awkward as hell for me. Do not like using wasd to move. (Yeah, I don't play many PC games of this type).

I suggest you go to http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/, take a look at all of the hundreds of mods available for Skyrim that you can only use with the PC version (and maybe install the Nexus Mod Manager and try out a few of the best-rated ones), and then ask yourself that question again. :wink:

Personally, even if I were a console gamer, I would never dream of buying a Fallout or Elder Scrolls game on anything other than the PC, as the modding community for those games is absolutely massive. It really adds to the value of the game.

Yeah, that's great and all... but if I quit playing because I suck at the controls, it doesn't matter how many mods there are. :pop:

Hopefully I'll be able to adjust... I just hate moving with keyboard keys. So used to using a joystick.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:23 pm

Sarcastic wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:Went to Fry's and procured all the bits and bobs I need to connect ye PS3 to ye computer monitor.... well, all except the y-connector for the audio. So now I have to make a special trip to Radio Trash to get a stupid $3 cord.

Why don't you just get a medium sized HDTV? I am using here a TV... it's either 32 or 37 inch.. i forget... and i have another computer connected to a big HDTV in another room for when I do decide to get into a PC game. I'm not sure it makes sense to buy a monitor anymore when you can use a TV. Then you could easily connect all of it with HDMI.

Long story short, I used to be able to have the PS3 connected to the TV without it being obtrusive. That's not the case anymore, so I need to connect it to something that won't have me occupying the TV when I play games. Since I already have the monitor (which does not have HDMI inputs), it makes more sense to spend $75 on the switch and cables than upwards of $300 on a television.

Honestly, I've been stuck at about 75% complete on Assassin's Creed 3 for months because we moved mid-game and I don't get much solo living room time. :lol:

Also, I can drive a PC monitor to higher resolutions than being limited to a 1080p television.
Last edited by tifosi77 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby malkinshair on Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:23 pm

Played a few hours of Deus Ex, and it's pretty awesome. I love the style of the world around you. Very cool. I put it down for a while because I'm stuck in the police station on a mission. I am horrible at stealth...and it is required there. I'll go back soon, though.

Also picked up XCOM Enemy Unknown, and I'm having a blast playing it. It's a turn-based strategy game that took a little while to get adjusted to, but it's extremely addicting. It's not an action game, and is a nice change of pace...but it's packed with tension in each mission. I've played through about 8-10 missions, and have already had 3 'oh no' *places controller down on the coffee table to watch the imminent doom* moments. It's a lot of fun.

PS+ members get Saints Row the Third free tomorrow. Stupid summer.
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Avyran on Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:43 pm

the wicked child wrote:
Shyster wrote:
the wicked child wrote:I'm wondering if I didn't make a mistake getting it for PC though... The controls are awkward as hell for me. Do not like using wasd to move. (Yeah, I don't play many PC games of this type).

I suggest you go to http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/, take a look at all of the hundreds of mods available for Skyrim that you can only use with the PC version (and maybe install the Nexus Mod Manager and try out a few of the best-rated ones), and then ask yourself that question again. :wink:

Personally, even if I were a console gamer, I would never dream of buying a Fallout or Elder Scrolls game on anything other than the PC, as the modding community for those games is absolutely massive. It really adds to the value of the game.

Yeah, that's great and all... but if I quit playing because I suck at the controls, it doesn't matter how many mods there are. :pop:

Hopefully I'll be able to adjust... I just hate moving with keyboard keys. So used to using a joystick.

Why not use a PS3 or XBox 360 controller? That's what I do for a lot of PC games. I'm definitely used to having a controller, not keyboard (except for MMOs or something).
Avyran
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rylan on Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:57 pm

i like using keyboard and mouse for those games. Its something you quickly get used to if you give it time.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:07 pm

tifosi77 wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:

Long story short, I used to be able to have the PS3 connected to the TV without it being obtrusive. That's not the case anymore, so I need to connect it to something that won't have me occupying the TV when I play games. Since I already have the monitor (which does not have HDMI inputs), it makes more sense to spend $75 on the switch and cables than upwards of $300 on a television.

Honestly, I've been stuck at about 75% complete on Assassin's Creed 3 for months because we moved mid-game and I don't get much solo living room time. :lol:

Also, I can drive a PC monitor to higher resolutions than being limited to a 1080p television.

omg, you're living with a tyrant. bribe her with something to go play on your computer while you play your video game. if that doesn't work, tell you time came for you to be a man and put your foot down. so you're putting your foot down and that's that. or buy yourself another tv, better than "hers".

size for me is more important than super high resolution. some of my favorite games were in 800x600 and looked great. 1080 is great, imo. (shrug)
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:18 pm

well since tifs monitor is 27inches and he'll likely sit about 5-7 feet away, the monitor size wont even be an issue.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR