Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby the wicked child on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:22 pm

Got my PS3 controller working... much better. Now I can actually maneuver somewhat in battle.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:24 pm

Rylan wrote:well since tifs monitor is 27inches and he'll likely sit about 5-7 feet away, the monitor size wont even be an issue.

he could rearrange his office and stick a giant tv/monitor on his wall. make it office/play room.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:24 pm

the wicked child wrote:Got my PS3 controller working... much better. Now I can actually maneuver somewhat in battle.

Honestly, how did you do that? I have heard you could but I never found anything that looked like it would actually work without messing my computer up.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:26 pm

there is a driver you can download
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:28 pm

Sarcastic wrote:
Rylan wrote:well since tifs monitor is 27inches and he'll likely sit about 5-7 feet away, the monitor size wont even be an issue.

he could rearrange his office and stick a giant tv/monitor on his wall. make it office/play room.

27" Monitor will be more than plenty at the distance he will be at. Heck he could potentially be less than 5 feet away giving him an optimal viewing that would be the equivalent of a larger tv.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:31 pm

Also can i get a link to this driver?
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:43 pm

Rylan wrote:
the wicked child wrote:Got my PS3 controller working... much better. Now I can actually maneuver somewhat in battle.

Honestly, how did you do that? I have heard you could but I never found anything that looked like it would actually work without messing my computer up.

http://www.motioninjoy.com/

Download that. Supposedly if you have the right bluetooth driver, you can connect wirelessly, but I just plugged in w/ the USB cable. I think you need to install the driver for the controller, but after doing that, Skyrim didnt recognize the controller. Went back and selected the Xbox360 emulator option and bam, it worked.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:48 pm

Also should note that when I went to put my controller back in the living room, I noticed that my PS3 was on. :scared:
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:53 pm

you can use a wii controller via bluetooth too fwiw
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby the wicked child on Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:03 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:you can use a wii controller via bluetooth too fwiw

I used to do that when I was on XP to use my guitar hero instruments to play Frets On Fire. I can't get the mapping program to work right on Windows 7 though so I haven't done that in a long time.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:08 pm

Rylan wrote:Also can i get a link to this driver?

don't ask me for a specific recommendation because I haven't had a need to do that in a long time, so i'm sure there were updates or other drivers released since. you'll have to do some research or do what wicked did.

http://www.google.com/search?q=ps3+controller+pc+driver
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:24 pm

Thanks got it to work. Unfortunately the games I really wanted a controller for don't allow me to properly use a controller lol
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:30 pm

Rylan wrote:Thanks got it to work. Unfortunately the games I really wanted a controller for don't allow me to properly use a controller lol

which games would that be? what exactly did you try to do?
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:17 pm

I wanted to play mount and blade, but since I am on my laptop I don't have a mouse to properly play. So I was going to substitute a controller and try to run with it. Issue is its not directly compatible with controllers and the only programs I have found to map the keyboard to the controller have cost money.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:20 am

Made some progress on free play last night. Up to 47%. Love free play.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:28 am

for the Wii remote use Glove Pie. I think it works with the PS3 controller too.

The program makes the controllers show up to the PC as a keyboard. You go into the program settings and tell it which keyboard key you want to associate with each button.

Then in your game set up you tell it youre using a keyboard and then which key(button) does what.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby the wicked child on Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:54 am

pittsoccer33 wrote:for the Wii remote use Glove Pie. I think it works with the PS3 controller too.

The program makes the controllers show up to the PC as a keyboard. You go into the program settings and tell it which keyboard key you want to associate with each button.

Then in your game set up you tell it youre using a keyboard and then which key(button) does what.

Yeah, that's the program I used. However, the script for the guitar controllers doesn't seem to work right for me in W7 so I can't use it. I might be able to figure it out if I messed around with it enough, but I've been too lazy to do so.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:15 am

Got the wrong audio cord, but the KVM switch is working fine. I will be back in the PS3 market tonight. Yaaaay.

Sarcastic wrote:size for me is more important than super high resolution. some of my favorite games were in 800x600 and looked great. 1080 is great, imo. (shrug)

Then I would suggest you get your eyes checked, because blowing 800x600 up to a 1080 display should look roughly like blurry ***.

There aren't but a few PC games that are worth the extra res, but it does make a difference. Flight Simulator X, for instance. The first and third Crysis titles. Most everything is optimized for consoles today, and that means dumbing the graphics down to 1080p.

Rylan wrote:27" Monitor will be more than plenty at the distance he will be at. Heck he could potentially be less than 5 feet away giving him an optimal viewing that would be the equivalent of a larger tv.

I'm literally less than an arm's length away from the screen when I play.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pittsoccer33 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:18 am

After doing some reading I think theres a good chance I'll buy a PS3 next winter. I'm hoping after the new system comes out I can find a used one for under $150. There seems to be at least 5 or 6 exclusive games I'd like to try.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:00 am

Yeah I want to play a bunch of PS-exclusive games
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:17 am

The Killzone series is an underrated looking series graphics wise. Especially 2. Spectacular looking games.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bioshock on Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:18 am

I wanna buy a PS4!!!
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pittsoccer33 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:27 am

They way I see it - most good games will still be released for 360 and PS3 until at least 2015. I can see Microsoft only releasing the next Halo onto the One and Sony only releasing one of their big titles to PS4 but by and large you will still see the large budget games coming out on all four systems.

It will take them a while to figure out how to best utilize the systems too. The learning curve will probably be easier given that they are both x86.

Tifosi would know better but I am under the impression that many 3rd parties developed using the 360 as their reference system since they had a years head start with it. I would have thought large companies like EA write tools to develop on a neutral platform and translate/port as they go along.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby the riddler on Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:45 pm

I started The Last of Us last night. It's addicting, I didn't want to stop playing. The graphics are probably some of the best I've seen on PS3, which isn't surprising(same people who made Uncharted). The gameplay differs from Uncharted, there are more stealth elements to the game and nothing seems like a waste of time. You have to be really careful with how much ammo you go through because there isn't much available. I spent a lot of time going through different rooms looking for supplies/ammo. But like I said, it all feels necessary. The infected are unique and can be pretty difficult to kill because they will swarm all over you if you make the wrong move. I have died a lot early in the game. The story is actually pretty good (the opening sequence was awesome). Overall, really impressed with this game so far and highly recommend it to anyone with a PS3.
the riddler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:32 pm

Yeah, i'm staying on my 360 until something comes out that I want to play that isn't for 360, at which time i'll get the One.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR