Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:18 pm

Why weren't they (or at least some of them) ready at the launch?

Mario 64 and Pilotwings 64 were both important to show how 360 console games would work
Wii Sports was important to show how the motion controller would work
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:30 pm

Turok on N64 was one of my faves.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:52 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:Why weren't they (or at least some of them) ready at the launch?

Mario 64 and Pilotwings 64 were both important to show how 360 console games would work
Wii Sports was important to show how the motion controller would work

ehhh...nintendoland, zombiU, and SMB WiiU is about it. Lego Undercover has been the most worthwhile title since the launch.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:56 pm

canaan wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:canaan, are you getting a PS4?

i believe so, but maybe not at release...well see what i can talk the wife into. the wiiU might have ruined me for a while. :lol:

oh, man. lol --- my opinion... be extra extra extra nice for a while. well you should be anyway, she's your wife, but like extra extra extra. flowers weekly, a month before release. :fist:

but I'm not getting it when it first comes out either. i'll wait a while 'till they do a few updates.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:59 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/19/digging-into-xbox-ones-used-games-policy

This is pretty interesting about how the Xbox One's used game/DRM has no real legal precedent

"The facts of a 1996 case regarding EULA's are so out of date we might as well be debating whether or not tyrannosaurs have a right to eat leftovers of a stegosaurus left back a pack of velociraptors."

I'm trying to remember exactly, but wasnt Stegosaurus a jurassic period dinosaur, and the others were cretaceous?

Interesting article. For the life of me, I can't understand why I couldn't give a game I own to somebody as I please or just sell it. Is it owning a game? It's owning a temporary license to play the game.

Here's a response from an engineer that works at MS. He explains exactly why MS is doing it. They basically like the Steam model.

http://www.examiner.com/article/xbox-fans-are-becoming-ps4-fans-because-of-xbox-one-s-drm-policies
http://pastebin.com/uCmdh9jB

My take:

- I doubt we're going to see price of a big game go from $60 bucks to $40. People are buying games at current prices, so they have no reason to do that. Microsoft is and always will be about making money so I am 99% sure the guy is talking out of his ass.

- Steam has their own piracy problems. You to go any warez site and see a ton of Steam games posted for download. Wouldn't it be funny if we started seeing a bunch of XBox One games on pirate sites?
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:13 pm

Steam offers sales, Steam offers discounts. And most importantly Steam has competitors.

People that buy used games don't really want used products. They want cheaper ones. The next video game I buy will probably be Assassins Creed, since MS is giving AC2 away free next month (which is a really cool idea). AC1 is $20 on Xbox's Marketplace. Its $10 at The Exchange on Liberty Avenue.

I'm a little stuck buying the download because I only have a 20GB hard drive (and Fable 3 is on there) but that aside I have no desire to buy a used game over the download if the price is the same or even close. I love the idea of having a digital media jukebox, with all my games appearing in a nice library that I can chose from. To me that was the most fun of setting up the emulators - just having a wall of coverart and themed backdrops to organize and select from with no disc to insert. So I love the idea of digital copies - I just don't value that any more.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:15 pm

Check out this line from the pastebin link:

The goal is to move to digital downloads, but Gamestop, Walmart, Target, Amazon are KIND OF (vulgar swear word edited out!) ENTRENCHED in the industry.

So what do they want, take business away from the big stores now? Good luck.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:26 pm

Every other media industry is moving away from physical - itunes, amazon prime, netflix, hulu, kindle, nook, etc. The difference is people are moving there willingly because of convenience.

My cousin has a 500+ bluray collection and several thousand CDs. You'll have to drag him kicking and screaming away from physical media, but he knows he's the exception.

I'm sure they'd love to get to a Steam like subscription model - Sony and Nintendo would too. But you can't force people there when they don't want to be and when some other options for them do exist.

Internet can't be the only place to buy hardware. If I were buying one of these on release day I'd probably preorder from The Exchange (if I could) or the Gamestop in East Liberty just because they're closest. If I thought I'd be able to buy one at Target on release day I'd maybe do that too. But I wouldn't want to order from Amazon. Its too difficult for me to arrange shipping and to actually be home to pick the thing up.

Plus believe it or not there are a lot of impulse game console purchases. I sold a lot of them when I was selling TVs. The PS3 was still considered the best bluray player when I started. One of the few we carried that could do 3D too. So no instead of just a new TV customer X was buying a PS3, extra controller, media remote, 3D glasses, and a game or two.

They need Walmart and Best Buy to have holiday bundles for Black Friday - those things were probably the only items we immediately sold out of, not the $199 40" tvs. If the rumor I heard that GameStop is done with Xbox preorders in store is true that would be really something. Just the fact a rumor like that can pick up steam shows how terribly this is being received.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby eddysnake on Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:27 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:honestly with the games that were shown off at the event I think the Wii U looks like the best "new" system to buy over the next 18 months.

I'm going to be in big trouble, it's been a month and I'm 5% through Lego Batman, I need to make some serious life changes in preparation for the new games coming out.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:32 pm

THe obsessing people do over xbox is really entertaining. The discussion about what they're forcing people to do is bizarre though. They're only forcing you to do these things if you're forcing yourself to buy the console. If you're forcing yourself to buy the console, they aren't going to get the message that there is a problem.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby skullman80 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:40 pm

Microsoft is free to do business however they want. I think they have already seen some backlash though, and their sales will be hurt as a result. The stuff they are doing won't effect me personally, but I don't agree with the way they are doing things.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:41 pm

eddysnake wrote:
pittsoccer33 wrote:honestly with the games that were shown off at the event I think the Wii U looks like the best "new" system to buy over the next 18 months.

I'm going to be in big trouble, it's been a month and I'm 5% through Lego Batman, I need to make some serious life changes in preparation for the new games coming out.

Yes. That is not good. Tell your wife to start taking fully care of the kids and tell work that you have some serious **** to do at home.

I want you up to at least 50% by the end of the month.

Now stop playing on LGP and get to work.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby She'sTheFastest on Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:14 pm

Leisure Suit Larry II: Looking for Love in all the Wrong Places
She'sTheFastest
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Shyster on Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:16 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:Steam offers sales, Steam offers discounts. And most importantly Steam has competitors.

People that buy used games don't really want used products. They want cheaper ones.

This. To be perfectly honest, if I can get a game on Steam during one of their super sales for something like $5.99, I don’t really give a toot that I don’t have the ability to re-sell my license to play it. I’ve bought used games in the past for my Nintendo DS, and the only reason I preferred used over new was price.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:19 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:Turok on N64 was one of my faves.

I never owned that game, but borrowed it once. Was there a point to it or was it just like deathmatch maps?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:28 pm

Got everything up and running and started Last Of Us this morning.

Holy crap, that opening was...... :shock:
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby SolidSnake on Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:35 pm

So apparently many Ps3 were bricked after a firmware update, luckily mine has not. http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/18/psa-p ... /#comments
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:36 pm

tifosi77 wrote:Got everything up and running and started Last Of Us this morning.

Holy crap, that opening was...... :shock:

This game intrigues me. I think in the fall, when I move to a new place, i'll get a ps3 and get that game. Need a bluray player anyway. Maybe i'll wait for the ps4 so that there can hopefully be an additional price drop.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:37 pm

She'sTheFastest wrote:Leisure Suit Larry II: Looking for Love in all the Wrong Places

LSL was one of my favorite games growing up. the Sierra games list was boss. i miss point and click adventures.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:40 pm

Larry Laffer for president.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby skullman80 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:43 pm

SolidSnake wrote:So apparently many Ps3 were bricked after a firmware update, luckily mine has not. http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/18/psa-p ... /#comments

I'm hoping mine is not, i Know it connects early in the morning to look for updates. I think I have to install them though myself. We shall see. Won't be happy if it's messed up.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:45 pm

skullman80 wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:So apparently many Ps3 were bricked after a firmware update, luckily mine has not. http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/18/psa-p ... /#comments

I'm hoping mine is not, i Know it connects early in the morning to look for updates. I think I have to install them though myself. We shall see. Won't be happy if it's messed up.

From what I been reading its been mainly happening to people with custom hard drives, meaning they installed a 1TB hard drive instead of keeping the 250 one
Last edited by SolidSnake on Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:46 pm

Uh oh, it looks like console manufacturers already have the ability to brick their consoles. :pop:
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:32 pm

I tend to not do system updates right when they're released for this reason.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:34 pm

What does brick mean?
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR