Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:21 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:RPGs are just too long and confusing to me. I remember I had one as a kid called Legacy of the Wizard. I probably owned for 3 or 4 years before I figured out how to get out of the opening screen (there was a hidden ladder/stairwell).

I recently tried playing Link to the Past and got bored talking to people. Same with Fable 3 when it was free last month.

...I don't count fable as a full RPG because the story is sacrificed in favor of action. Every non-town area involves fighting. Are you sure you played a Fable game and not Harvest Moon or something? :pop:
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:26 pm

i gave up when i was supposed to go around shaking peoples hands. i wanted to karate chop monsters and stuff
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby eddysnake on Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:56 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
canaan wrote:i dont think i mentioned any particular FPS.

:lol:

You know the ones you are referring to. I mean, I can't really stand a lot of the PWN0RS that play those games either, fwiw.

you say "I mean" a lot
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:17 pm

eddysnake wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:
canaan wrote:i dont think i mentioned any particular FPS.

:lol:

You know the ones you are referring to. I mean, I can't really stand a lot of the PWN0RS that play those games either, fwiw.

you say "I mean" a lot

Thats because no one ever knows what he's talking about, so he has to explain that.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shyster on Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:56 pm

Previews of Kerbal Space Program 0.21 have been released to some prominent players (like Scott Manley) for previews. New stuff includes:
- New buildings at the spaceport including new VAB and SPH buildings, a new tracking station with three dishes, and a two new buildings.
- One of the new buildings is the astronaut training center, which lets you choose your crews and select candidates for your space program. Each Kerbal has scores for “bravery” and “stupidity.” This is the first step of what will eventually become the campaign mode.
- New changes for SAS and ASAS that in particular improves the stability of spaceplanes. It makes everything “wiggle” much less.
- At the same time, SAS and ASAS takes electricharge to use, as does the inherent torque built into pods.
- New surface textures for the Mun and Kerbin, including new craters and mountains for both bodies.
- There are some new parts, and some of the existing parts have been revised to include more detail.

Unfortunately, due to new features, version 0.21 breaks compatibility with current saves, so all existing missions will be lost.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:00 pm

Forgot how good Half Life 2 Ep. 2 is
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:44 pm

So I finally finished "The Last Of Us".

Spoiler:
What's the only thing worse than fungus infected zombies?

VOLUNTARY CANNIBALS!!

I was not ready for that.

At all.

But the Naughty Dog guys managed to create a story with a happy ending...... that isn't really happy. I just sat staring at my display while the credits rolled thinking, "Wow, Joel's a d|ick," but I think he acted in a very human way.

Just an all around incredible game, probably the single best game I've ever played. It carries more emotional heft than just about any film I've ever seen, and it's completely engrossing.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby offsides on Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:36 pm

tifosi77 wrote:So I finally finished "The Last Of Us".

Spoiler:

VOLUNTARY CANNIBALS!!

At all.

But the Naughty Dog guys managed to create a story with a happy ending...... that isn't really happy. I just sat staring at my display while the credits rolled thinking, "Wow, Joel's a d|ick," but I think he acted in a very human way.

Just an all around incredible game, probably the single best game I've ever played. It carries more emotional heft than just about any film I've ever seen, and it's completely engrossing.

Congrats! Looks like my type of game. About how long did it take to finish?
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MRandall25 on Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:00 pm

F1 2013 comes out in the fall. Will offer cars, drivers, and tracks from the 70's and 80's on disc, and the 90's will come either on DLC or the "Classics Edition" of it. Re-tooled handling, saving in the middle of a race (I believe this means career/GP mode will be full (40-60 laps, ~ 2 hours) race for better immersion into the strategy of tires and fuel consumption).

Kind of excited for the classics mode.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Spangler on Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:22 pm

It took me about 18-20 hours my first playthrough, offsides. I like to explore every nook and cranny, so it takes me longer to complete games.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby offsides on Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:45 pm

Spangler wrote:It took me about 18-20 hours my first playthrough, offsides. I like to explore every nook and cranny, so it takes me longer to complete games.

Thanks, I also play games slowly trying not to miss stuff. Takes me forever to play games like Skyrim and Borderlands.Of course being old slows me down also. :)
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Spangler on Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:39 am

This made me laugh.

Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tifosi77 on Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:37 am

offsides wrote:

Spoiler:

VOLUNTARY CANNIBALS!!

At all.

I think a bit north of 20 hours for me.

One thing to remember, there are a lot of cut scenes in the game, and they're mostly pretty lengthy. I've heard some complain about that, but for me it heightened the cinematic impact of the story.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Spangler on Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:41 am

tifosi77 wrote:
offsides wrote:

Spoiler:

VOLUNTARY CANNIBALS!!

At all.

I think a bit north of 20 hours for me.

One thing to remember, there are a lot of cut scenes in the game, and they're mostly pretty lengthy. I've heard some complain about that, but for me it heightened the cinematic impact of the story.

If they've ever played Metal Gear Solid 4, they have no right to complain about long cut scenes.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:38 am

Just clearing every area now in Lego LOTR. Up to 90% complete. Can't wait to finish this one and start Zelda: Twighlight Princess
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby She'sTheFastest on Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:20 pm

Currently playing Assassins Creed III (with Connor), and I must say I am completely dissappointed thus far. Revelations was superb was thinking the game would continue to imrpove. Boy was I wrong. I like Connor as a character but the glitches coupled with the way the supplemental **** is thrown in is just horrid. If you are like me and wait to play a series I suggest only playing AC I, II and Revelations. Unless the ending far exceeds the rest I would say just watch the endings for the 2 I didn't mention. Blackflag's probably going to be a mess.
She'sTheFastest
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:40 pm

I thought Brotherhood was the best game so far.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby She'sTheFastest on Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:00 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I thought Brotherhood was the best game so far.

I thought the assassinations were excellent, but I am not big on the tailing missions.
She'sTheFastest
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:55 pm

MRandall25 wrote:F1 2013 comes out in the fall. Will offer cars, drivers, and tracks from the 70's and 80's on disc, and the 90's will come either on DLC or the "Classics Edition" of it. Re-tooled handling, saving in the middle of a race (I believe this means career/GP mode will be full (40-60 laps, ~ 2 hours) race for better immersion into the strategy of tires and fuel consumption).

Kind of excited for the classics mode.

Historically I've played sim type games on PC. For racing, that has meant the F1 Challenge series by EA (and the myriad fan mods) and then rFactor (dev by the same team after EA pulled the plug). But the next Codemasters F1 game might buck that trend. Got to speak to some of the guys from CM at E3 last year, and it's pretty clear that they are proper F1 fans and want to do right by the sport. (I have their two previous games on PC, but honestly haven't played them that much.)
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Shyster on Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:52 pm

I haven't played an F1 game since Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix 2, which came out in 1996 and modeled the 1994 season. I had a Logitech wheel-and-pedals controller that I took apart so I could wire in steering-wheel shift buttons (bought from Radio Shack) to supplement the shift lever.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:57 pm

I finished up a season of Madden 96 yesterday. Won the Super Bowl. Good times.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:36 pm

Shyster wrote:I haven't played an F1 game since Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix 2, which came out in 1996 and modeled the 1994 season. I had a Logitech wheel-and-pedals controller that I took apart so I could wire in steering-wheel shift buttons (bought from Radio Shack) to supplement the shift lever.

I always thought his sims looked better than the EA series, but for some reason the controls felt extra fake to me.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby the wicked child on Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:26 pm

I think I'm getting fairly far into the main quest of Skyrim now. Once I finish that, I'm going to do some of the quests from Dragonborn and then probably set it aside for awhile and play some Torchlight and/or Fallout: New Vegas.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:18 pm

For those of you that buy used games: I was reading the reviews for the new Pikmin 3 game that comes out and it looks like a lot of fun. I've have not played any of the others games and don't really want to drop full price on something unknown, how long do you wait until you usually get a decent deal for the games used?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby GSdrums87 on Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:28 pm

eddysnake wrote:For those of you that buy used games: I was reading the reviews for the new Pikmin 3 game that comes out and it looks like a lot of fun. I've have not played any of the others games and don't really want to drop full price on something unknown, how long do you wait until you usually get a decent deal for the games used?

Few months. But wait a few weeks and eBay is your friend.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to NHR