Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby Froggy on Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:12 pm

the wicked child wrote:I should probably just set Skyrim down at this point, but the completionist in me hates leaving unfinished quests... and new ones pop up constantly, so unless I make a conscious effort to stop playing it, it will continue. :scared:

Yeah, if you feel the need to complete every game 100%, skyrim is probably a bad choice for you
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Spangler on Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:45 pm

I can't tell if you are referring to it or not, but Skyrim has a random quest generator so the number of quests are near infinite. They may be mundane sidequests, but they're still something to do.

It could literally drive you insane.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby the wicked child on Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:19 pm

I'm well aware that I will never "100%" this game. I just want to get the main quests that I have out of the way... but even that spawns new ones. :lol:

I have myself convinced that I am going to stop once I finish the Dragonborn storyline. :pop:
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:52 pm

So yeah... the main story line of Dragonborn gets kind of weird... or at least the locations do anyway. I need to step away now. But will I? :scared:
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby offsides on Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:21 am

I bought Doom 3 BFG mainly because it was cheap. it is turning out to be quite a FPS. Non stop action with mindless creature killing. Tons of weapons and lots of different creatures. Good stuff!!
offsides
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby newarenanow on Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:08 am

Finished Lego LOTR and got 100%.

Getting ready to start Zelda Twighlight Princess.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:15 am

For some reason I thought that was Lego Zelda Twilight Princess. I was stunned.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby the wicked child on Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:24 am

newarenanow wrote:Finished Lego LOTR and got 100%.

Which means in about 4 years, you'll be ready to play the vastly superior Skyward Sword!
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:25 am

the wicked child wrote:
newarenanow wrote:Finished Lego LOTR and got 100%.

Which means in about 4 years, you'll be ready to play the vastly superior Skyward Sword!

Yep. It's going to take awhile. Honestly, I probably will finish it sometime in March or April.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:27 am

Did you recently buy Twilight Princess? I still have not played it and am thinking about getting it. Will I be able to procure that for a decent price?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:10 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Did you recently buy Twilight Princess? I still have not played it and am thinking about getting it. Will I be able to procure that for a decent price?

I got it about 3 years ago and just never got around to playing it. You should be able to get it for a decent price somewhere.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:27 am

I think I'm gonna end up reserving a PS4 here tonight.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby demondg1 on Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:16 pm

Picked up Civ V last week on Steam. I put in about 23 hours on it yesterday. Been trying to liberate the people from the evil warlord Ghandi.
demondg1
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:18 pm

Does that say 23 hours?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:45 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
Kaizer wrote:
dying every 5 minutes

if you survive 5 minutes at a time, youre the 13 year old pro.

Or you found a really good hiding spot

I might be an expert then because I managed to spend good 5 minutes in between deaths now. I tried the online portion of that game for about a half an hour. OK, most of the 5 minute fragments were spent running back to the place where I got killed, but 5 minutes is 5 minutes? (not serious)

I had a horrible experience. I'm walking next to some building and a moron flies down in a fighter jet and drops a bomb on me. So I go to the forest instead and another moron jumps out from behind a tree and shoots me. I run back to the spot and the entire time I'm thinking to myself I'm going to find him and kill him. He jumps out from a different cover and shoots me again. I'm fuming at this point. I run back again and it's a long run for some reason (later I realized I could start at different locations) and I keep looking and looking. He's gone. I'm pissed because I'm out for blood now. Then some other moron jumps out and shoots me again.

Oh, joy. Rinse and repeat.

I tried a couple other maps later and managed to kill some people, but the whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth and was exactly what I expected and only reinforced my opinion for how much I dislike that kind of gaming.

The worst thing is that the entire time I was playing, I kept asking myself why am I doing this. There is no story, no emotional involvement, just an empty feeling while all I do is I count how many people I killed versus how many times I died and also how much time I have already wasted.

Give me a single player game where I can feel like I am the main character in a movie and let me have an experience I can remember. There are many games I played over the years where to this day, I can recall certain locations or parts of the story. Adventures.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:53 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:I'll never forget the first time I stormed Omaha Beach in the old MOH games. What a moment.

Exactly what I'm talking about. One of the most memorable moments in the history of gaming. I played that game probably 5 times or so and to this day I can close my eyes and remember several sections. The beach invasion was frightening. They must have managed to capture the mood well because I know I was affected and all I could think was myself, right there, for real, watching my buddies get blown up and knowing one that wrong move and I'm next.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:55 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:About the cover system for BF3, I think DICE wanted to specifically keep the game fast paced - those types of systems slow the game down. That's the opposite of what they want for an arcade-y shooter.

Sarcastic, if you want another good single player campaign, give the last Medal of Honor (Warfighter) a shot. It's on the same engine as BF3, and sadly, the game was a big flop - very few multiplayer servers are populated. The single player was very good.

I've heard good things about a free-to-play version of Ghost Recon (http://www.ubi.com/US/Games/Info.aspx?pId=9814) - it has a cover system and is much more tactical.

Another game that's in beta is ARMA 3. A very, very, very, very slow tactical game that might just have the cover system you are looking for. I watched a gameplay tutorial and it showed like 9 different stances for your soldier character. Yeah.

I haven't played it yet - it's a beta you have to pay for, but may try it out later.

Warfighter's only $10 now so I'll definitely pick it up. Looks really good on youtube. :thumb:

Never played a Ghost Recon game in my life.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:00 pm

I actually forced myself to start playing Torchlight so hopefully that will break the Skyrim cycle.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:05 pm

I think I'll start up Choplifter today. I bought it months ago with all the exp. packs. I know someone here played it.. don't remember who. Wonder how worthwhile the game is over the full campaign. The demo is fun, but I'm worried it'll get annoying after a while.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby demondg1 on Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:45 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Does that say 23 hours?

It was a long day and I had absolutely nothing to do.
demondg1
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby GSdrums87 on Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:58 pm

Long day? That's like...a day. :lol:
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Shyster on Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:31 pm

The new stability system in Kerbal Space Program supposedly makes aircraft much easier to fly. I've launched hundreds of rockets, but I must admit that I never really spend much time building stuff in the aircraft hangar. I have discovered something: I can't design planes worth ****.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Iof holdfy cap one on Shydyers is dpoubd go plkease peyay fewr mew

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:40 pm

Shyster wrote:The new stability system in Kerbal Space Program supposedly makes aircraft much easier to fly. I've launched hundreds of rockets, but I must admit that I never really spend much time building stuff in the aircraft hangar. I have discovered something: I can't design planes worth ****.

can't you just buy a plane and then launch it?
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shyster on Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:13 pm

Sarcastic wrote:
Shyster wrote:The new stability system in Kerbal Space Program supposedly makes aircraft much easier to fly. I've launched hundreds of rockets, but I must admit that I never really spend much time building stuff in the aircraft hangar. I have discovered something: I can't design planes worth ****.

There are stock planes in the game and I could get dozens if not hundreds of designs that people have shared on the Kerbal forums or Spaceport. But that kind of defeats the point of the game, which is to build stuff yourself.

It is pretty much widely acknowledged among KSP players that aircraft are actually harder to get right than rockets. They're much harder to control as well.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Iof holdfy cap one on Shydyers is dpoubd go plkease peyay fewr mew

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:21 pm

Shyster wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:

There are stock planes in the game and I could get dozens if not hundreds of designs that people have shared on the Kerbal forums or Spaceport. But that kind of defeats the point of the game, which is to build stuff yourself.

It is pretty much widely acknowledged among KSP players that aircraft are actually harder to get right than rockets. They're much harder to control as well.

I think I would prefer a game that would give some cool planes and have you fly around a course or something. Maybe drop some bombs. Ooh, or space combat. Is there a cool new flying game out anywhere?
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR