Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:20 pm

What 360 games should I play? I haven't really bought anything new in a year or so and aside from AC and Batman, will not be buying a new game for a while.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Spangler on Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:44 pm

Samsdog wrote:Bought and beat The Last of Us...enjoyed it a lot. Didn't have the same punch as the Uncharted series but really immersive, and I enjoyed the survivalist element to it. Added an extra layer to the gameplay that was missing in Uncharted. Also...

Spoiler:
Joel is a giant bag of %$#@s. Doomed humanity for that one kid who is probably going to find out and end up hating him in the sequel. That is, if there is one and it centers around Joel and Ellie. Don't think that was in the original plan but its hard for developers to walk away from a success like this one. Also, pasting the surgeons was probably unnecessary.

Spoiler:
Ya I felt really uncomfortable at the end of the game. I didn't want to kill probably the last brain surgeon in the world. But that's one of the thing I like about the game. It's open to interpretation and debate. There's hint's throughout the game that Joel really wasn't a good person in his past (after the infection), and he will do anything for survival.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Spangler on Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:00 pm

So the left analog stick on my PS3 controller has been sticking at the top left, and this has been going on for a couple years. It was a pain in the butt in games like BF3 that require precision because there would always be slight continuous movement if I wasn't careful. I didn't want to buy another controller for a minor issue, so I looked up a solution on youtube awhile back. Seemed simple enough.

Yesterday I finally decided to try to fix it, and it was a complete disaster. The controller casing was WAY harder to pull apart than the tutorial made it appear. During the process I completely dismantled the shoulder buttons, and basically had to teach myself how to put them back together. It was a pain in the ass because I couldn't get the button's to work like they should, and had to constantly fiddle with the layout of the pieces. Took me 2 hours to get the controller working like it should, but I didn't bother trying to fix the analog stick because I thought I ruined my controller.

Turns out through all that failure, I may have unintentionally improved the analog stick a little. It has a little more spring to it than before.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:56 am

Played about 3 hrs of Zelda this weekend. I'm to the point where I'm collecting the light tears to put together Faron, the second light spirit.

Good game so far. The first few hours is more about learning controls and the story line, but it seems to be picking up.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shyster on Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:40 pm

NASA was offered a free booth at E3 this year, and employees of the JPL showed up in order to do public outreach and possibly also troll for future engineering and software-development employees. But the NASA guys were also hoping for something extra:

“The only thing that would make this week complete, and you may or may not know about this game, is if the developers of a game called Kerbal Space Program showed up. Half of JPL is playing that game right now,” said Douglas Ellison, a visualization producer at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory. He's one of the people who helps make JPL's scientifically exact digital recreations of NASA missions like the Curiosity Mars Landing.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/arti ... t-you-can-
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Samsdog on Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:32 am

Spangler wrote:
Samsdog wrote:Bought and beat The Last of Us...enjoyed it a lot. Didn't have the same punch as the Uncharted series but really immersive, and I enjoyed the survivalist element to it. Added an extra layer to the gameplay that was missing in Uncharted. Also...

Spoiler:
Joel is a giant bag of %$#@s. Doomed humanity for that one kid who is probably going to find out and end up hating him in the sequel. That is, if there is one and it centers around Joel and Ellie. Don't think that was in the original plan but its hard for developers to walk away from a success like this one. Also, pasting the surgeons was probably unnecessary.

Spoiler:
Ya I felt really uncomfortable at the end of the game. I didn't want to kill probably the last brain surgeon in the world. But that's one of the thing I like about the game. It's open to interpretation and debate. There's hint's throughout the game that Joel really wasn't a good person in his past (after the infection), and he will do anything for survival.

Spoiler:
I definitely agree on liking that it's open to interpretation. I've read a lot of people who think that they would have done the same in his position, if only because they see want humanity has become since the outbreak and they felt that Joel probably considered Ellie to be the only part of humanity worth saving.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rylan on Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:32 am

I did that import the face thing for EA Sports games cause it seemed like a good idea. And honestly, its pretty freaking sweet. Sexy even in polygons.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:20 am

Collected all the tear drops to put Faron the light spirit back together last night. Also got the green tunic from him and learned the finishing move. Made it to the Forest Temple before I saved and went to bed. Now it finally feels like a "Zelda" game.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:23 am

26 stars into Mario 64
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:04 pm

Spoiler:

That's a very interesting comment, because while I enjoy the Uncharted games a lot I've never once thought of them as having 'punch'.

To make a comparison to films, Uncharted is to Raiders of the Lost Ark as The Last Of Us is to Schindler's List. Same creators, completely different experiences. So while I'd happily play through an Uncharted game to try and 100% everything, I'm not sure I'd be willing to spend another 18-20 hours in the world of The Last Of Us.

Spoiler:
Fwiw, Nathan Drake (Uncharted) and David (creepy pedophile cannibal guy in TLOS) are both voiced by Nolan North.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Spangler on Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:28 pm

I feel the opposite. The Uncharted games are one and done for me. The Last of Us I wanted to play the game again as soon as I finished it. Gameplay wise, The Last of Us has more substance, and that's what I look for in games.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pen48guins on Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:02 pm

Finished the last of last night. I was really impressed when I first started it but the story kept drawing me in, even though I saw the ending coming. I'm going to do another playthrough. Multiplayer is actually quite fun. I wish there were more games like this.

I think this type of game and The walking dead game are the game types that get my interest the most theses days. I need story, I need substance.
Pen48guins
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby malkinshair on Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:36 pm

Downloading Hitman Absolution right now. Heard and read mixed reviews for this one, but willing to give it a try.
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby the wicked child on Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:27 am

So far I've had zero success getting a controller to work with Oblivion, so I haven't done much. I just can't function with WASD. :face:

I just opened another wormhole though... started downloading some mods for Skyrim. :lol:

Don't recall if I mentioned it the other day or not, but I completed the main dungeon in Torchlight. Overall, was fun, but not anywhere near as good as 2. It seems like some kind of alternate dungeon opened up. I played through a couple floors, but it seems like more of the same, only the enemies are all at the same level as me. Probably done with it for the time being.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kaizer on Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:06 am

i clicked on a Wartune ad, but i didnt get the orgy i deserved.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby newarenanow on Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:39 am

Beat the Forest Temple on Zelda Twighlight Princess. Went to Hyrule Field and found the two golden bugs and then went to the second Twighlight area. That's pretty much where I stopped. Got about 6 hours of gameplay in so far. Figure I'm about 10-15% of the way through the game.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby GSdrums87 on Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:43 am

Beat The Last of Us last night

Spoiler:
I totally agree with Joel's decision. Notice how after you meet up with Tommy, there's essentially no friendly human's left. She dies to save what...these "people"? No, I'd sooner live out my days happy with my brother and essentially my daughter, and keep the one good thing in the world left alive. It has Walking Dead syndrome, where the monsters aren't the actual monsters, they just become an obstacle.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:14 am

just finished the regular season of the 2017 MLB season in mlb2k11. my player hit 101 homers, 368 RBI, batted .578 and had 198 stolen bases.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:15 am

that might be a record, litt.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:17 am

Letang Is The Truth wrote:just finished the regular season of the 2017 MLB season in mlb2k11. my player hit 101 homers, 368 RBI, batted .578 and had 198 stolen bases.

Was he on PEDs?
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:21 am

deer antler extract
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:38 am

Wouldn't that get boring being successful all the time? In sports video games, I do not mind losing, especially when I am the player.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:40 am

not at all.

have you tried it? its awesome.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:43 am

Rylan wrote:Wouldn't that get boring being successful all the time? In sports video games, I do not mind losing, especially when I am the player.

I hit 86 homers with the Pirates one season. We barely made the playoffs. I requested a trade after that year :pop:

I hate losing to the computer, and I especially hate the AI teammates in MLB 2K11
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:44 am

Not in a baseball game, but in NHL 12 I did Be a Pro and it was very limited on the amount of fun I had with it.

I do not mind failure in video games, especially sport video games.

Heck some of my favorite moments in the be a pro modes across all games, have been in loses. Like in NBA 2k13 went to quadruple overtime with the Heat before losing on a buzzer beater. That was fun. Winning by 15 is boring and I always hope the coach subs my player out so I can sim to the end of the game.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR