Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby PensHckyFan79 on Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:18 pm

GSdrums87 wrote:Been watching this auction on eBay, just to see how it turns out. Quite the package.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271257212450?ss ... 1423.l2649

thats a serious collection. I wonder what the reserve is set at. It was already at 4k and still not met.
PensHckyFan79
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby GSdrums87 on Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:18 pm

Yeah not sure, it's quite a bit. I'm willing to be over $5k.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby AlexPKeaton on Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:56 pm

I might as well cancel my PS4 pre-order. I will still be playing EU4 when it comes out lol. This game is incredible.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby SolidSnake on Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:46 pm

Castlevania Lords of Shadow is a great game
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby nocera on Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:02 am

NHL 14 demo is out. Unsurprisingly, it feels like a patch update for NHL 13. The dekes and hits are probably too easy, and the poke check has been nerfed quite a bit. I scored a lot more wrist shots in the brief demo than I usually do during an entire game of 13. It might be a bit too easy to score in a game now. Goalies seem a lot harder to beat one-on-one. The kick, backhand forehand move is a no-go now. But, I'm sure somebody will find a money goal and that'll be all you see online.
Anniversary mode was fun but I'll probably only play it once or twice then forget about it.

I'll still buy it and play the heck out of it. But it seems like they're treading water waiting for next gen.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:12 am

If I get that game, it will be exclusively for anniversary mode most likely.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby GSdrums87 on Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:14 am

I like 13 though. The only thing they needed to fix was the pokechecks and the skating quirks. A patch is fine with me until a new release on the new consoles.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby the wicked child on Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:14 am

This could almost be cross posted in Strange News, but I'll leave it here... http://www.capcom-unity.com/brelston/bl ... at-cut-man
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:16 am

The ridiculous poke checks in 13 pretty much ruined the game for me. It's been collecting dust for months.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby GSdrums87 on Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:17 am

Yeah, the EASHL went to crap due to it. My cousin and I are pretty creative in that game, and it's amazing how it gets stifled from stupid pokechecking. I'll have to give it a try later.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby nocera on Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:23 am

GSdrums87 wrote:I like 13 though. The only thing they needed to fix was the pokechecks and the skating quirks. A patch is fine with me until a new release on the new consoles.

I agree with you. In fact, the game feels a bit arcadey now due to the constant dekes and big hits. But the fact that they're going to be charging 60 bucks for a patch is annoying. Even the menus are the same.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:23 am

I skip a game every few years but play at a friend's place usually. 13 is probably the first year in probably 2 decades that i didn't play one of the games.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby nocera on Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:24 am

Idoit40fans wrote:If I get that game, it will be exclusively for anniversary mode most likely.

Not worth it. Buy a Genesis and NHL 94 with that money instead.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby GSdrums87 on Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:24 am

They'll patch the new one quickly. They always suck until after the first month or so, then they fix the bugs all the players find and it balances out better.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:27 am

nocera wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:If I get that game, it will be exclusively for anniversary mode most likely.

I have both, presently connected to the tv in my living room. I want updated rosters. I've always said, and said it in this thread like 20 or so pages back, that i'd be happy to buy the old madden and nhl games with roster updates. They're far better than the new games. RBI baseball with updated roster would be incredible.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby nocera on Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:34 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
nocera wrote:

I have both, presently connected to the tv in my living room. I want updated rosters. I've always said, and said it in this thread like 20 or so pages back, that i'd be happy to buy the old madden and nhl games with roster updates. They're far better than the new games. RBI baseball with updated roster would be incredible.

That would be great. If only you could somehow port the updated rosters from emulators over to the actual cartridge.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:38 am

Exactly, that would be the true ideal. I think my favorite thing about RBI baseball is the mechanics for how you throw each pitch. If they could update it somehow with limiting which pitches a pitcher could throw based on what they actually throw, that would be the only thing worth changing in the game.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Spangler on Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:30 pm

tifosi77 wrote:Finally got around to finishing Assassin's Creed III

Spoiler:
What a let down. Coming on the heels of the two most complete games I've ever played - Bioshock Infinite and The Last Of Us - pretty much anything was going to seem subpar. But the level of story telling in ACIII was just..... amateurish. In retrospect, I think perhaps all of the AC games are a bit weak in the story knees now that I think about it. (Even AC2, which at one point was my favorite game of ever) They try and tackle these big themes and come off as all high concept, but as often as not they make little to no story sense.

For example, the ending of ACIII makes the same fundamental mistake that they made in Far Cry 3: you kill the real baddie first, leaving you with a chunk of gameplay after the story's emotional climax before killing someone else. Yes, Charles Lee killed your mother..... but Haytham is your father! C'mon! That's Luke and Vader stuff! And Haytham is a much more interesting and compelling character, never mind the fact that you actually play as him at the outset of the game, and spend a significant chunk of time playing alongside him as Connor. They set him up as a character very well; they establish a natural relationship between he and Connor, but you as the player are also vested in Haytham having started out the game as him. The payoff of those relationships is, by rights, the conclusion of the Connor story. The fact that you kill Haytham and then set off after Lee is completely stupid.

And what was the frickin' purpose of chasing Lee into the frontier area outside Boston to share a scotch with him before getting all stabby? All it did was put a needless load screen between you and end of the game. Oh.... and you don't even get to kill Lee yourself. The game kills him for you in a cut scene. Dumb.

The pacing issues in the game are so fundamentally inept that it makes you wonder if the writer(s) ever did this story telling thing before. Which is a shame, because the first 8-10 hours of the game were highly enjoyable.

I totally agree with most of this, but I actually really liked AC3's story. It's probably my favorite out of all the games. However they totally dropped the ball at the end. Last couple sequences felt so rushed and lacked detail.

Spoiler:
You're absolutely right about Haytham. Haytham was the leader of that group, and they basically gave him a secondary character send-off. After Mass Effect 3, the ending to AC3 doesn't bother me because it's nowhere near as bad and disappointing as that.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby nocera on Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:37 pm

Are there any good single player games where I won't spend 80% of the time watching cut scenes? I know people love the "it plays like a movie" thing, but personally, if I wanted that, I'd just watch a movie.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:05 am

I can't think of any games aside from that one Metal Gear solid that are like that.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby nocera on Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:11 am

Idoit40fans wrote:I can't think of any games aside from that one Metal Gear solid that are like that.

Here are the games I've recently tried to play but became bored of the cut scenes: The past three Call of Dutys, Red Dead Redemption (to an extent), Assassins Creed 2 (by far the worst offender. those cut scenes are laughably bad), LA Noir, and trying out Last of Us at a friends house.

I just want a game I can jump into and not have to pause every 3 minutes to watch a 5 minute cut scene.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:13 am

Most of those if not all of those you can just skip the cut scenes though.

You aren't going to find many if any games at all that don't have some cut scenes in them, its part of storytelling for most game developers.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:28 am

LA Noire is pretty bad about it. You have to wait a long time between cases...to the point that I just turned it off at the end of one of them and haven't picked it up again.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby GSdrums87 on Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:01 am

NHL 14 has Toews as a 91 and Malkin as an 89. So...wrong.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:07 am

I don't understand why thats an issue. Malkin's defense is gonna be worse, the faceoffs is going to be way worse. Durability is probably worse. They don't assign a rating based on how good overall a player is, they assign values to all the attributes and it and the overall rating is calculated based on that.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR