Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby skullman80 on Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:21 pm

SolidSnake wrote:I'm def still getting it, I don't agree with more of IGN's reviews anyways.

You liked Dead Risings review when they gave it an 8.3 though haha.

Plus not just IGn, most places are giving it bad scores.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:24 pm

I've been tuned out of this thread for a while so excuse me if some of this info has been posted.

The media capabilities of box new consoles has been trickling out and it doesnt look promising.

The PS4 seems to have stripped DLNA and all digital media playback from the system.

The XB1 can't pass surround sound through (meaning if you plug your cable box or 360 into it youre stuck with 2 channel audio) and can't do 3D bluray.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby newarenanow on Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:27 pm

Played the Cave of Ordeals last night. Got to the 48th out of 50th room after an hour, thinking I had yellow Chu Jelly in my last bottle, only to find out it was Latern Oil. I died.

So now I have to do it again. Should be easier though once I stock back up. I also collected the 60th poe soul, so I can get a silver rupee everytime I visit the guys soul I put back together.

GRRRR.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:45 pm

If the WiiU had a bigger game library, its sales would be through the roof, relatively speaking.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:46 pm

skullman80 wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:I'm def still getting it, I don't agree with more of IGN's reviews anyways.

I planned on getting Dead Rising 3 no matter anyways
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:52 pm

canaan wrote:If the WiiU had a bigger game library, its sales would be through the roof, relatively speaking.

I feel like it's just beginning to get good, there appears to be a lot of great games coming out soon, just hope it's not too late.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby skullman80 on Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:53 pm

WiiU is gonna be dead in the water by this time next year i think. The 3rd party support for it stinks.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:53 pm

SolidSnake wrote:
skullman80 wrote:

I planned on getting Dead Rising 3 no matter anyways

I know just giving you crap. :D
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:56 pm

canaan wrote:If the WiiU had a bigger game library, its sales would be through the roof, relatively speaking.

That is what I don't understand. I remember when the WiiU was announced, they said they'd have a strong library shortly after launch, and also would work with a greater scope of third party games.

Honestly, I have not heard of any new games, or even see any advertising related to the WiiU. I forgot it even existed, and this is from a Nintendo fan.

Now, with the PS4 and Xbox launches, they are going to get swept under the rug IMO. They had a full year headstart and did absolutely nothing with it.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:59 pm

Nintendo is to blame 1000%. they didnt even give the console a fighting chance. a confusing name...people didnt even know it was a different system than the wii. on top of that, they put out that red/black wii at the same time to confuse/muddy the market even further. they are doing similar crap with that nintendo 2DS...its just dumb.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:08 pm

skullman80 wrote:WiiU is gonna be dead in the water by this time next year i think. The 3rd party support for it stinks.

I'm not so sure, their 3rd party support doesn't worry me. Nobody wants to work with them because they aren't selling consoles. Now that mario is coming out (best selling video game currently on amazon) and smash bros, kart, DK, etc in the near future, I think console sales will pick up eventually making them attractive enough to work with. It just boggles the mind that they released when they did with what they had.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:13 pm

Agree with everything you said.

I know people that have no idea that a new system is out for Nintendo and think it is just a Wii. And like you said, they relaunched a different version of the Wii at the same time. (and like you mentioned, I was going to buy a 3DS at some point, but I have no idea what the current handheld is and just gave up).

There are only a handful of meaningful games launched, and outside of one Mario game, they haven't even released anything with their "core" characters that make Nintendo strong. And I haven't even really read much of any releases.

And now that Xbox and PS has entered the game, it is going to be tough for anyone to jump on the Nintendo bandwagon.

For as strong as they were in the 80s and 90s, they have really dropped the ball on how they market, advertise, and launch their systems. The system themselves are a step back I admit, but they are still fun to play when they do it right and still where I lean. But the WiiU hasn't even given me anything to even play or look forward to.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:25 pm

I don't play video games like I used to, but Nintendo in HD was the first thing that made it a must buy for me. While the super mario U that came out with the system is fun, it wasn't a game I would have bought the system for. So a year later I had a blast with Batman, Ducktales, Trine2, and some other eshop games (that are available on all the other consoles), Wind Waker was the 1st game that made the Wii U worth it for me. That's a long time to go for something like this. Pikimin 3, Raymond, and Wonderful 101 all look like good times, but nothing I'm waiting first day for. Mario World looks to be the other game that will make the U worth it for me. Next year we'll have Smash Bros, mario Kart, and glimpses of the new Zelda and probably rumblings of the next mario (galaxy). That lineup every year here on out works for me and I'd guess all other NES fans, lets just hope this past sub par year isn't a norm or then I agree it won't last. Slow start indeed, but I think it will pick up pretty fast.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:30 pm

The HD versions of old games doesn't interest me. I own most of the games already for the other systems, and I still enjoy playing them on that version (even though I don't get to much anymore). I'd rather have some new games.

The relaunch in HD is cool, and it may get some fans excited, but for me, it doesn't. The only two games out for the WiiU right now that I'd buy and play is the Lego Marvel game and the Super Mario Bros, and neither will drive me to the system.

Like you said, hopefully the future release lineup will be the norm, and not just a stop gap and then another year or so until more good games are released.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:31 pm

i know ive beaten it into the ground, but LEGO undercover is the best Lego game of all time (of all time)
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slappybrown on Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:39 pm

For months, and despite reading this thread, I had no idea that the WiiU was a new system. I thought it was the Wii, just with more **** to swing around like a mongoloid.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:51 pm

Stopped at the other Exchange downtown today just to look around, and all fo the Zelda games, regardless of system, were like $50 each. That is more than when they came out new. It's freaking crazy. A copy of the Windwaker and Twighlight Princess, each for Gamecube was $50 each. That's not even a rarer game.

I'm glad I got those games for pretty cheap, along with the Zelda collectors series (has the original, link to the past, adventures of link and I think Ocarina of time on it for gamecube).

And I saw a beat up version of Chrono Trigger on display for $90. Holy crap! I remember when that was $30 and that was "expensive".

So I guess my collecting days are coming to a slow down. Even the crap NES games that I used to be able to get for $1 are now like $5 or 6.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:52 pm

The best purchases I ever made were old EA NHL games for SEGA Genesis at the Exchange. Pretty sure I spent no more than 10 bucks for 93, 94, 95, and 96.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:03 pm

I think my best gets were:

- Got Ducktales 2 from a friend for free, he was just getting rid of his games in the late 1990s. Now I've seen that game for around $70.

- Bought the Aladdin Deck Enchancer and all of it's games boxed and sealed off ebay back in 200 for like $40. Now I see it on ebay for as much as $150.

- Got the first issue of Nintendo Power in great condition for like $5 back in the early 2000s. Now I see it for like $85. (I have like 225 of the 280some Nintendo Powers, all in decent condition). Again got them from people ready to toss them back in college.

- Got a boxed Nintendo Power set complete with everything in box for like $20 back in the day. Seen it now for like $150.

- I bought all of the Mario, Zelda and Punch out trophies in box over a period of like 3 months a few years ago, probably spent a total of $100. Now I see each punch out one for around $75, sometimes more, and the Zelda nd Mario ones for around $35. There are a total of 15.

I think those are my best gets, plus all the crap from my youth that I saved.

But now you can't find anything affordable anymore.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:07 pm

Makes me sad that after college I got rid of all my nes stuff, but kept the Def Leppard wall clock... I have to live with that every day (it's still pretty cool though)
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:17 pm

I'm pretty sure the value of the system and games is why my 81 year old grandma still has her NES and games.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:21 pm

I still have my original nintendo that I got in kindergarten in 1988 or so. It still works to this day. My grandfather uses it to play Tetris.

I used to have almost every Nintendo Power Magazine ever... but when I moved out from my parents after college I stupidly threw them all away. I kick myself for it now.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:22 pm

I have my original NES as well. And the original that my aunt and uncle had for a while.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kaizer on Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:44 pm

i never heard of wiiU until now
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ajh2298 on Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:27 am

I know it might be a little early to ask on launch day. Need advice from anybody with an Xbox One. Is it really that much of an upgrade over a Xbox 360 if they only games I plan to play right now are COD:Ghost, Battlefield 4, and Assassin's Creed 4?
ajh2298
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to NHR