Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby neophool on Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:31 am

Sarcastic wrote:I'm looking for a brain twister kinda game. Anything?

If you havn't played them, Portal and Portal 2.
neophool
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:29 am

neophool wrote:

Never played. Was always curious.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JeffDFD on Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:07 pm

Sarcastic wrote:
neophool wrote:

Never played. Was always curious.

I will second this. Great games. Even better if you ever played the Half Life games (but it is definitely not required and you won't really miss anything).
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:21 pm

I'll see if PSN has a demo.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:08 pm

You can pick this up on PSN for $1.99. :thumb:

Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shyster on Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:45 pm

Sarcastic wrote:Shyster, I'm interested in what you think of Darksiders once you start playing.

I like it. It strikes me as very much a “console” type game, and I don’t usually play games of this type, but I think it’s pretty good. Pluses are good graphics, an interesting story, and well-designed environments. Minuses to me are the heavy emphasis on combo attacks and some gameplay elements that break the flow of the game. I’m not overly enamored with the fact that most of the purchasable upgrades just seem to be different and more convoluted ways to swing your sword or scythe. I also just ran across a section where you had to fight a number of battles where each one involved killing a certain number of enemies in a given way in a limited amount of time, like two minutes or less. To me, that totally takes me outside the story of the game. It’s like breaking the “fourth wall” in a movie or TV show.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:01 pm

Shyster wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:Shyster, I'm interested in what you think of Darksiders once you start playing.

I like it. It strikes me as very much a “console” type game, and I don’t usually play games of this type, but I think it’s pretty good.

Exactly what I found. I didn't quiet get into the demo so much, felt it was like a generic 'kiddie' console title. But the more I played, the more I realized the scope and quality of the game. Graphics are good/not great, but the combat feel is fantastic, story, and the size of the game. By the time I finished it, the whole thing felt pretty epic.

Pluses are good graphics, an interesting story, and well-designed environments. Minuses to me are the heavy emphasis on combo attacks and some gameplay elements that break the flow of the game. I’m not overly enamored with the fact that most of the purchasable upgrades just seem to be different and more convoluted ways to swing your sword or scythe. I also just ran across a section where you had to fight a number of battles where each one involved killing a certain number of enemies in a given way in a limited amount of time, like two minutes or less. To me, that totally takes me outside the story of the game. It’s like breaking the “fourth wall” in a movie or TV show.

Those timed challenges weren't my favorite at all, but I don't think there were many of them. I did them so I could get back to the game. They shouldn't bother you much.

At first, weapon upgrades seemed like they weren't doing much. Once you get them to a certain level you will appreciate it.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JeffDFD on Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:19 pm

Sarcastic wrote:I'll see if PSN has a demo.

You may want to look for "The Orange Box"

It is Portal (1) along with - Half-Life 2, Half-Life 2:Episode 1, Half-Life 2:Episode 2, and Team Fortress 2 (multiplayer game). Portal 2 is a lot more expansive and a ton of fun, which makes sense because I think the original Portal was not anticipated to be as popular as it became. It was helped by people buying the Orange Box for the Half-Life games and then realizing how great Portal was. Portal 2 was a great sequel.

There are cheap ones on ebay and various other places.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby the wicked child on Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:21 pm

That reminds me... I got the Orange Box when it came out, but barely played it due to my computer sucking at the time. I got a new machine but never went back to play through some of those. Oops.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ajh2298 on Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:37 pm

Does anybody know if you can buy Xbox Live time right from the dashboard/marketplace? I have a bunch of currency/points from an old promotion that are expiring in a few days and would like to use them for something. I dont really need any DLC or games right now and live time made the most sense to buy. I cant check right now from work since the marketplace website is blocked.

Thanks,
ajh2298
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:22 pm

You should be able to buy a gold membership, may have to go into account>settings
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Spangler on Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:17 am

the wicked child wrote:That reminds me... I got the Orange Box when it came out, but barely played it due to my computer sucking at the time. I got a new machine but never went back to play through some of those. Oops.

I don't know if you know who Yahtzee is on Escapist, but The Orange Box was 1 of like 2 reviews that he didn't trash at all.

That should tell you something.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:42 pm

Is anybody playing that Defiance MMO game? They have it on PSN for $2.50 now.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:53 pm

Is Dragon's Age any good?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:59 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Is Dragon's Age any good?

I loved the first 1. The expansion was pretty good (Dragon Age: Awakening). Dragon Age 2 was a let down and it dragged on and on. But, its definitely one of my favorite series, and you can get all 3 for like $20.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:05 pm

Yeah i was thinking about downloading the first on xbox live.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:09 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Yeah i was thinking about downloading the first on xbox live.

The first one was definitely the best in my opinion. It had a pretty good story and the characters were pretty varied. The quests were fun to do and the gameplay was pretty fun. If you are expecting something like Skyrim though you will be disappointed. Its more like a PC RPG of point and click than an action RPG, though there is some crossover. Man, now I may have to play for a bit after class.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:21 pm

I love the Elder Scrolls games, but they are not really my type of RPG. I much prefer traditional RPGs. I like Bioware's other Forgotten Realms games like Icewind Dale and Neverwinter Nights, which was probably my favorite PC RPG.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:25 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I love the Elder Scrolls games, but they are not really my type of RPG. I much prefer traditional RPGs. I like Bioware's other Forgotten Realms games like Icewind Dale and Neverwinter Nights, which was probably my favorite PC RPG.

Then I would venture to guess you would find this game enjoyable. With Origins, there are I think 6 different back stories. They follow the same overall path, but there are variances that are noticeable. So there is some replay value as well.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:45 pm

Grid 2 (free on PSN) has no personality.

After an hour of playing, I'm not spinning in circles on the sidelines as often anymore and seem to be doing better. I would not buy this game for a dollar, though.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:03 am

Grid 1 is one of my favorite racing games. Its no Dirt to Daytona, but its really the only racing game I have ever put a lot of time into.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:16 am

played a little of Rayman Legends last night. If it keeps up the pace, this could be the best side scrolling game ever. The game is incredible. I love the design, music, and graphics, all is really remarkable. takes a little to go from the tv to gamepad, but it's really well done, not sure how these levels work on other consoles.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sarcastic on Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:20 am

eddysnake wrote:played a little of Rayman Legends last night. If it keeps up the pace, this could be the best side scrolling game ever. The game is incredible. I love the design, music, and graphics, all is really remarkable. takes a little to go from the tv to gamepad, but it's really well done, not sure how these levels work on other consoles.

Supposedly it's too long (lol) and, toward the end, frustratingly difficult. Which may be exactly what some want.

I played the demo and it was really really great, but I did feel a little of that frustration coming on. Good luck!
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:22 am

I thought some of it was tough at level 2, I may be in trouble.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sarcastic on Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:22 am

Rylan wrote:Grid 1 is one of my favorite racing games. Its no Dirt to Daytona, but its really the only racing game I have ever put a lot of time into.

I can't explain it but I'm getting pretty good at it. Trick is to time the speeding up then slowing down before sharp turns to get the slide/drift right. But I'm actually doing OK and not crashing much. Really can't explain it, but I'm beginning to enjoy it.

So far, I'll say, umm.. I'm not deleting it.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR