Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:35 pm

Chefpatrick871 wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:This month on PSN+: Bioshock Infinite, DMC: Devil May Cry, Brothers: Tale of Two Sons.

How does that work? New ps3 owner here.

Well, you get the plus membership and then you get free games. They typically give you one a week (there's a list of games they have for d/l, and each week remove one or so and add one). But even better than the free games, imo, are the price cuts. Like, they have a sale EACH week and the plus members get strong discounts. It's worth it. A few bucks here and there, but it really adds up. Instead of let's say, a 50% sale, you get a 75% sale. Many games are only available as downloads anyway.

Be advised most of these free games will only be playable while you're a Plus member, but I really don't have a problem with that as you get to play the games as much as you want (I still have games from over a year and a half ago that I haven't played) and there really isn't a reason to go and buy a physical copy unless you're nuts about it and really want the box in your collection. I mean, most games are good for a single playthrough anyway. We are talking small and big games too. They have Borderlands 2 for download now. Don't remember if they have Uncharted 3 still, but we're not talking packman type games here.

I would advise trying to get a good price on ebay and to go for 1 year cards.
Last edited by Sarcastic on Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ajh2298 on Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:42 pm

Yep PS+ is totally worth it, just two weeks ago I got NHL 14 for $15.00.
ajh2298
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:58 pm

ajh2298 wrote:Yep PS+ is totally worth it, just two weeks ago I got NHL 14 for $15.00.

Can't wait until there's enough games for the PS4 to make sense for me. I have it, but I want good free games!

Also, the PS+ network rentals are decent too.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby the wicked child on Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:56 am

Played through the first cup in mario kart 7. Went pretty well until the final race. This game has "gliders" that pop out of your kart when you go off of certain ramps... you can then use them to glide to the next ledge, collect powerups, etc while in the air. However, I was unable to figure out how to stay in the air and the "booklet" (more like mini-pamphlet) that is included says NOTHING about the controls for this.

After doing some reading, it turns out that up and down are reversed while in the air... so I was essentially dropping myself into the pit every time. Maybe it's just me, but this seems like something you might want to mention in the controls section...
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:01 am

Do you guys remember actual video game instruction manuals, that you know, actually went into detail on how to play a game? I miss those.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby count2infinity on Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:22 am

Started playing AC IV. The boat part isn't too bad. I'm only about 10% into the game so far, but it's been pretty good. I like Edward's character a lot.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Postby ajh2298 on Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:33 pm

Forty two day after launch I finally hooked up my "Day One Edition" XB1. Didn't hook it through the cable box and didn't hook up the Kinect yet since I want to get the support bracket first but the little bit I played of Halo Spartan Assault I really liked.

I also bought an extra controller last night with xmas gift cards, and just might e-bay the "Day One" controller and achievement since they seem to go for some decent money on e-bay.
ajh2298
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Spangler on Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:45 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Do you guys remember actual video game instruction manuals, that you know, actually went into detail on how to play a game? I miss those.

As a kid I used to like flipping through instruction manuals because they always had illustrations on enemies along with some info about them.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:58 pm

count2infinity wrote:Started playing AC IV. The boat part isn't too bad. I'm only about 10% into the game so far, but it's been pretty good. I like Edward's character a lot.

It has actually become my favorite in the series. I finished it three weeks ago and I'm still logging in and playing almost daily, running around pillaging and pirateering things. I think I'll actually try to 100% this one.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby the wicked child on Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:51 am

Played through the Water Temple tonight... had a near catastrophe when right after I defeated Dark Link the battery was ready to die. Fortunately, I got it plugged in in time and was able to continue. It's all downhill from here now, right? ;)
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:05 am

Just owned Twinrova. Have a few things to finish up before I hit Ganon's Castle... I think I need like 14 more skulltulas, the cold arrows and I haven't bothered getting the 4th bottle yet.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:02 am

I splurged on the Zelda 3ds XL. Beat Link between worlds. Have about 25 maimais or whatever they're called left. I have to beat the tower of treachery (50lvls) a 2nd time still and and in not even going to attempt to max out the cuckoo dodge minigame. I heard that the juice isn't worth the squeeze.

also, started links awakening. What an absolutely aggravating game. The item switching constantly is terrible with no way to quick cycle
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:12 pm

Cool thing came out of me disassembling the PS3 controller. I learned how to tighten the R2/L2 triggers. You carefully straighten the springs a little bit. My triggers feel so good now. You can get replacement springs on ebay, if you screw one up.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:30 pm

canaan wrote:I splurged on the Zelda 3ds XL. Beat Link between worlds. Have about 25 maimais or whatever they're called left. I have to beat the tower of treachery (50lvls) a 2nd time still and and in not even going to attempt to max out the cuckoo dodge minigame. I heard that the juice isn't worth the squeeze.

also, started links awakening. What an absolutely aggravating game. The item switching constantly is terrible with no way to quick cycle

There are two things that bother me in LA...

1. the overly long dialogues you have to click through EVERY time you get certain items like the compass or a piece of power. It gets old fast.
2. The ending. :face:
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:29 pm

Got all of the Skulltulas. had to go on a bit of a hunt to figure out where the last one I missed was... turned out to be behind a wall in the Fire Temple. The Overworld map (and temple maps when you are inside) display a gold skull next to the name if you've collected all the skulltulas in that area. Unfortunately, the only way to see if you have everything from a temple is if you bring up the map when you are inside.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:58 pm

I haven't played a lot of the newer Zelda games, but this thread is making me want to go back and play Ocarina and find all the SKulltulas.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JeffDFD on Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:54 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:I haven't played a lot of the newer Zelda games, but this thread is making me want to go back and play Ocarina and find all the SKulltulas.

I was going to do this until I looked online and found out what the reward was. Had like 80 something and decided it wasn't worth the effort. Did everything else in that game almost and beat it several times back in the day and years that followed.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tifosi77 on Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:40 pm

Started playing the Freedom Cry DLC for ACIV, where you play as Adiwale, the quartermaster from the main game. You basically run around freeing slaves on Haiti, which seems to be completely overrun by slavers. Bright side, your main blade weapon is a machete. Which is nice.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby canaan on Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:58 am

the wicked child wrote:
canaan wrote:I splurged on the Zelda 3ds XL. Beat Link between worlds. Have about 25 maimais or whatever they're called left. I have to beat the tower of treachery (50lvls) a 2nd time still and and in not even going to attempt to max out the cuckoo dodge minigame. I heard that the juice isn't worth the squeeze.

There are two things that bother me in LA...

1. the overly long dialogues you have to click through EVERY time you get certain items like the compass or a piece of power. It gets old fast.
2. The ending. :face:

haha. I said the same thing to my wife last night "its *#*%)$ level 6, I don't need dialogue informing me on how to lift a pot or what a piece of power is"
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:50 am

Beat the second world on Zelda Fourswords last night. This game is pretty fun. Different, yet the same. I like how it is broken up like a Mario game and each level is it's own board. You start from scratch equipment and health wise.

I don't want every Zelda game like this, but this was a nice little switchup. Still got a ways to go though, but I'm 25% of the way through. Hope to finish this by the end of February.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:59 am

whats up with oracle of ages/seasons? is that worth downloading?
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby the wicked child on Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:47 am

canaan wrote:whats up with oracle of ages/seasons? is that worth downloading?

Very much so. They are essentially sister games... they are connected through a password system that allows you to get an extra level of equipment (Level 3 sword and shield, extra heart containers) that are not available otherwise AND adds an additional "hidden" ending with extra bosses. Back in the day, you could achieve these through linking two gameboys together. Since no one actually ever did that, there are sites that have password generators to allow you to simulate linking the two games.

In Oracle of Seasons, you have a wand that changes between the 4 seasons and each one has different effects on the environment (such as snow in the winter, flowers bloom in the spring, etc). IIRC, the bosses in this game are largely based off of the original Zelda boseses (dodongo, gohma, etc). If not this one, then it is Ages.

In oracle of Ages, you get a harp with various songs that allow you to warp between ages. Like in seasons, this has a dramatic effect on the environment. This game is a bit heavier on puzzles than Seasons.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:51 am

a twc endorsement is all i need. the wife will not be pleased. thanks, dude.

is there one i should play before the other?
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby the wicked child on Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:53 am

I don't know if it technically matters, but I usually play seasons first.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby count2infinity on Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:16 am

tifosi77 wrote:
count2infinity wrote:Started playing AC IV. The boat part isn't too bad. I'm only about 10% into the game so far, but it's been pretty good. I like Edward's character a lot.

It has actually become my favorite in the series. I finished it three weeks ago and I'm still logging in and playing almost daily, running around pillaging and pirateering things. I think I'll actually try to 100% this one.

I'm about a quarter of the way through it (well... when the opening screen pops up it says 25%) and I think this has been the best one since AC II. I'm really enjoying it.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

PreviousNext

Return to NHR