Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby the wicked child on Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:11 pm

Thanks.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby count2infinity on Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:06 pm

Just finished the main story line for AC4. Holy cow was this a good one. Best one since AC2 and possibly the best one in the entire series. To think, I was so disappointed with AC3 that I was considering not even getting this one.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Postby the errey i breathe on Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:34 pm

Started Link between worlds on Hero difficulty, I retract my earlier statements about the game being too easy for boss fights. I had to go looking for heart containers once I figured out that bosses can take 4 hearts if they hit you once. Not much room for error! Still a lot of fun to play. Might switch gears after this and finish up Luigi's Mansion:Dark Moon then debating which Zelda to buy off the marketplace. Oracle of Ages or Seasons.
the errey i breathe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby the wicked child on Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:58 pm

Seasons is better than Ages, but both are must play, IMO.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shyster on Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:33 pm

I finished with my manned landings on Minmus in Kerbal Space Program, earning probably around 1,000 science points in all. Minmus is the second, smaller moon of the main planet in the game. I went with it first over Mün because its lower gravity makes it easier to land and take off.

Starting in the 0.22 update, Kerbal and its moons have their surfaces divided into different biomes. For example, Minmus has the Highlands, Midlands, Lowlands, Slopes, Lesser Flats, Flats, Great Flats, Greater Flats, and Poles. Biomes are important because the different science experiments and observations (e.g., crew reports, EVA reports, surface samples, temperature recordings, Mystery Goo™ observations, etc.) can be repeated in each biome and earn more science points in each. I used the ScanSat mod to map the biomes on Minmus, and then executed repeated landings for most of them (I skipped the poles). My kerbalnauts are now safely back home.

I launched mapping probes to a couple more planets, and I think I’m going to construct a more substantial space station before I head to the Mün. There are a number of mods that let one earn science from orbital stations, and I want a better station for that. I had a rudimentary station running the Ciber X Labs orbital-science mod, but I want to build something bigger along the lines of the ISS.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby eddysnake on Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:44 pm

Shyster wrote:I finished with my manned landings on Minmus in Kerbal Space Program, earning probably around 1,000 science points in all. Minmus is the second, smaller moon of the main planet in the game. I went with it first over Mün because its lower gravity makes it easier to land and take off.

Starting in the 0.22 update, Kerbal and its moons have their surfaces divided into different biomes. For example, Minmus has the Highlands, Midlands, Lowlands, Slopes, Lesser Flats, Flats, Great Flats, Greater Flats, and Poles. Biomes are important because the different science experiments and observations (e.g., crew reports, EVA reports, surface samples, temperature recordings, Mystery Goo™ observations, etc.) can be repeated in each biome and earn more science points in each. I used the ScanSat mod to map the biomes on Minmus, and then executed repeated landings for most of them (I skipped the poles). My kerbalnauts are now safely back home.

I launched mapping probes to a couple more planets, and I think I’m going to construct a more substantial space station before I head to the Mün. There are a number of mods that let one earn science from orbital stations, and I want a better station for that. I had a rudimentary station running the Ciber X Labs orbital-science mod, but I want to build something bigger along the lines of the ISS.

this game sounds complicated, but I enjoy playing it through your updates. god speed.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:10 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Assassin's creed 4 is definitely my favorite of the AC games.

count2infinity wrote:Just finished the main story line for AC4. Holy cow was this a good one. Best one since AC2 and possibly the best one in the entire series. To think, I was so disappointed with AC3 that I was considering not even getting this one.

I still have a soft spot for 2, since it was set where Mrs Tif and I honeymooned. But I definitely enjoyed AC4 most. I beat it over a month ago, and I'm still playing it. Up to I think 92% synch. Just bagged my third white whale yesterday, and have been taking down Level 4 hunters for kicks.

"Drag 'em down to hell, lads!!!"
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Shyster on Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:52 pm

eddysnake wrote:this game sounds complicated, but I enjoy playing it through your updates. god speed.

Thanks! I figured everyone reading my KSP posts was just muttering "nerd..." under his breath and moving on.

The game site Polygon published a nice article today about the history of KSP and its developers at Squad. I knew the game had plenty of fans at NASA, but I didn't know NASA is working with Squad to develop an official mission pack for the game:

http://www.polygon.com/features/2014/1/ ... ce-program

Capturing and landing on an asteroid sounds like a sweet challenge.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:55 pm

Shyster wrote:I finished with my manned landings on Minmus in Kerbal Space Program, earning probably around 1,000 science points in all. Minmus is the second, smaller moon of the main planet in the game. I went with it first over Mün because its lower gravity makes it easier to land and take off.

I am tremendously happy for you because you seem to like it! I also had a yummy chocolate doughnut. That might be adding to my happiness!
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:03 pm

What a strange man
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:11 pm

Finished Crysis 3 yesterday. Now, for $5 bucks it was a lot of fun. I got to shoot evil aliens. :thumb:

If I paid the full $60 it released for, I would be EL FURIOSO. Good looking environments --- nothing worth praising. I don't know why I keep reading this is the best looking game. artwork itself isn't better than a number of titles I can name off the top of my head --- but completely empty. There is nothing to do in the game. You run through large empty spaces, find several more enemies, go Predator-mode (invisible with the suit thing), kill them one by one, and start running through more open spaces. Challenge level for this game is one for a toddler. This game seems unfinished.

So for $5 bucks, sure why not, but anything past $15 and it's theft.

rating: 3 out of 5, and that's generous because I think 2.5 feels more fitting.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:31 am

I started Tomb Raider. 2 hours in and I think the word I would use to the describe it is 'spectacular'. I just need to learn to play better because those wolves keep biting the crap out of me. I'm having a particularly hard time using the dodge button. Visuals and graphical detail in the game are mind-blowing.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:34 am

SolidSnake wrote:What a strange man

Just a little bit. Sometimes. Sometimes I can get all serious and boring. :thumbdown:
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:36 am

Tomb Raider was easily in my top 5 games of last year, if not Top 3. I'm almost tempted to buy it again on Ps4 because of how pretty it looks. It looked great on ps3 though too.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:40 am

skullman80 wrote:Tomb Raider was easily in my top 5 games of last year, if not Top 3. I'm almost tempted to buy it again on Ps4 because of how pretty it looks. It looked great on ps3 though too.

Any tips, like what upgrades to do first? There are so many. So far I only got the arrow retrieval thing and have 1 unspent point left.

Hey, can I go back to the first camp? There was a box I couldn't open, but now I'll be able to.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:27 pm

Duke Nukem 3D Megaton Edition is currently on Steam for $3.99. Includes the whole original game plus add-ons and level editor. Definitely worth it.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:59 pm

Stopped into an Exchange for the first time in a while. These were the prices of some games today vs when I bought them 2 years ago:

Zelda the Windwaker (Gamecube) - $50 (today) vs $10 (bought)
Luigi Mansion (Gamecube - $33 vs $7
Zelda Fourswords - $40 vs $15
Zelda Collector edition (Gamecube) - $50 vs $20
Zelda Twighlight Princess - $50 vs $15
Donkey Kong Country (SNES) - $25 vs $5
Super Mario Sunshine $35 vs $6

And those are the ones just off the top of my head.

So by buying these 2 years ago for a total of $92 vs $283 today, it is just f'ing crazy.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:06 pm

I don't know about the others, but I was able to find twilight princess for like $20 on ebay recently. Resell values at the exchange are always random to me.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:13 pm

I've noticed the Exchange takes the highest price that the game goes for on ebay and uses that. I just looked at the Twighight princess (Gamecube version) on ebay right now and you can see it for anywhere between $25 and $50 (also tack on shipping). It's just crazy though how games skyrocketed over the last 2 or 3 years.

I have like close to 400 NES carts (no doubles) and I got most of those from 2000-2007 for pretty cheap. Now, when I look at those same carts and even other ones to add, it is expensive, especially some of the rarer ones.

I was lucky, I got a Ducktales 2 for the NES for like $5 off ebay in like 2003. Today if you look, it goes for around $60-80. And there are games like FLinstones 2, Little Sampson among a handful of others that go for like $600-1,000. I remember when I passed on those because they were likek $75-80 back then. I could shoot myself right now.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:15 pm

BTW, I started the Original Zelda last night. Amazing how after not playing for like almost 10 years, how it quickly all comes back. Which trees to burn down, hidden caves to bomb etc. I already have like 8 heart containers and got the first 2 pieces of the tri force before I quit last night. I did die twice.

I still list beating this game in one sitdown without dying as one of my better accomplishments on the NES.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:16 pm

Yeah, NES games have definitely gone up a lot. I'm waiting for the console to skyrocket up so I can sell one of mine.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:20 pm

newarenanow wrote:Stopped into an Exchange for the first time in a while. These were the prices of some games today vs when I bought them 2 years ago:

So by buying these 2 years ago for a total of $92 vs $283 today, it is just f'ing crazy.

its just like baseball cards. you are sitting on a goldmine brah.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:22 pm

His next time down, my father-in-law is bringing the old NES/SNES with him and a ton of games.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JeffDFD on Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:17 am

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:
newarenanow wrote:Stopped into an Exchange for the first time in a while. These were the prices of some games today vs when I bought them 2 years ago:

its just like baseball cards. you are sitting on a goldmine brah.

Ha, I recently got my old baseball cards out of my parent's attic. When I have the time I want to go through some and relive some memories. We used to play cards (poker) using the "commoners" as chips. Found some good/funny names.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ajh2298 on Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:56 pm

Starting today and through Feb. 2, The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures Anniversary Edition is free on the E-shop for all 2DS, 3DS, and 3DS Xl systems.

http://zelda.com/fourswordsanniversary/

Just log into the shop and enjoy.
ajh2298
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to NHR