Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:14 pm

Can someone explain how in NHL 14 the Penguins have a below average rated offense?
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: you from the department of 'know what I'm saying"s?

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:14 pm

Thats pretty appealing to me. In the past year I have fully embraced downloading games on the 360. If I were ready to move into the next generation, that would push me...that said, I'm not all that interested in Titanfall. If they do it with Quantum Break, i'll probably pull the trigger.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:15 pm

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:Can someone explain how in NHL 14 the Penguins have a below average rated offense?

They do the ratings based on how the teams perform when you actually need to win.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:18 pm

Injuries and roster updates.

The overall rating of guys not named Malkin, Crosby, Neal, and Kunitz really drag the rating down.

Also I'd argue EA underrates the best players in the league significantly. Crosby and Malkin only score like 60-70 points a year, if you completely simulate it. Then you look at a team like the Oilers who have 4.5 stars for everything, even though they're one of the worst teams in the league.

It's, quite frankly, a pretty bad ratings system. The Oilers shouldn't be making the Cup Finals (let alone the playoffs) in the 1st year of GM mode.
Last edited by MRandall25 on Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:23 pm

Also, I got sucked into playing Modern Warfare 3 again. The game mostly sucks but when I first started playing I was addicted to the infected mode (if you've ever played it, you'd know what I'm talking about...essentially there are 18 players in the game, 1 starts off as a zombie with just enough and if you die, you become a zombie). They freaking ruined it by giving zombies throwing knives and I haven't played it in over a year and a half but somehow I got to playing that garbage again.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:27 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Also I'd argue EA underrates the best players in the league significantly. Crosby and Malkin only score like 60-70 points a year, if you completely simulate it. Then you look at a team like the Oilers who have 4.5 stars for everything, even though they're one of the worst teams in the league.

Yeah, I think it's this. I feel like the ratings are oddly normalized (if I remember correctly, Crosby is a 95) though, I think that's because Gretzky and Lemieux are probably both 99s...it just seems weird.

Also, I like how the "Legends" team contains players that wouldn't be in the Legends' 7th farm system.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ajh2298 on Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:45 pm

Just finished playing Call of Juarez:Gunslinger that I got for $3.00 during a Xbox Marketplace sale and had a lot of fun with it. To anybody who has played the other games in the series are they the same kind of easy going take on a FPS or are they more serious?
ajh2298
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:52 pm

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:Also I'd argue EA underrates the best players in the league significantly. Crosby and Malkin only score like 60-70 points a year, if you completely simulate it. Then you look at a team like the Oilers who have 4.5 stars for everything, even though they're one of the worst teams in the league.

Yeah, I think it's this. I feel like the ratings are oddly normalized (if I remember correctly, Crosby is a 95) though, I think that's because Gretzky and Lemieux are probably both 99s...it just seems weird.

Well, there's an inherent problem in the game's simulation engine that makes the game spread the points out between all of the lines.

The problem with that is, since Malkin and Crosby are so highly rated, the game does not know how to effectively simulate two players on the same team having the ability to have a point-per-game season (unless you are controlling the players).

The only way around this is to manually go in to "Edit" and turn up the overall ratings for the good players (Crosby, Malkin, Kane, Toews, etc) and hope it works. Otherwise, you end up having years where the best players in the league score 70 points instead of the expected 100+, because they have to share the offense in the simulation.

Exhibit A: I'm about halfway through my 4th season in Live the Life. Aside from the guys who play on my line (I signed with the Lightning, so it's Stamkos and Drouin), Gustav Freaking Nyquist leads the rest of the league with 51 points in 44 games. Gustav Nyquist.

The next 10 (not on the Lightning) are:

Tavares (49 points in 44)
Stephen Weiss (47 in 44)
Huberdeau (45 in 45)
Grabner (45 in 44)
Datsyuk (43 in 44)
Ryan Callahan (42 in 43)
Parise (42 in 42)
Ovechkin (42 in 44)
Mattias Tedenby (who can't hold down a real NHL job, yet is 88 OV and has 41 in 43)
Ryan Getzlaf (41 in 43)

So while there are some usual suspects at the top (Tavares, Ovie, Getzlaf, Parise to a lesser extent), some of these numbers aren't really realistic (Nyquist and Weiss probably benefit from Datsyuk, but 4 years into the future, Datsyuk shouldn't be playing this well). Crosby only has 34 points in 39 games, and Malkin only has 28 in 43, and they are 1 and 2 on the Pens in scoring. 2 guys rated over 90 OV are scoring almost 20 points less than Gustav Nyquist and Stephen Weiss.

It doesn't make sense.

And don't get me started on how they rate goalies.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Chefpatrick871 on Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:52 pm

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:

Also, I like how the "Legends" team contains players that wouldn't be in the Legends' 7th farm system.

Not sure what the Legends are rated for normal play but the HUT cards for Gretzky and Lemieux are 88 and 92.
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:48 pm

Should have been 99 and 66 respectively...not because of their numbers, because of how good they were. Discuss.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:52 pm

So Lemieux is the 99? :pop:
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:01 pm

given that "99 and 66 respectively" followed "Gretzky and Lemieux", i'm not sure how you got that.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shyster on Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:08 pm

Made five more landings on the Mün in Kerbal Space Program. The remaining biomes to visit on the Mün are all at high inclinations (like the polar regions), so I may need different equipment to make those landings. I only have a handful of science nodes left to unlock, so I think I’ll set KSP aside for a while—at least until the next game update. A mission to Duna (Mars) would be next, but I think I’ll wait until they add biomes.

In the meantime, I preloaded Thief onto my PC from Steam, so I’ll be playing that once it unlocks.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:18 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:given that "99 and 66 respectively" followed "Gretzky and Lemieux", i'm not sure how you got that.

I ignored it.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:53 pm

Ps4 purchased got extra controller and Killzone as well Thinking of buying Don't starve and Super Motherload as well
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:08 pm

Hmm... Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 got a disappointingly low score on IGN. Not that I always agree with their ratings, but 6.5 gives me pause... I was really looking forward to this game.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:20 pm

I purchased that as well
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ajh2298 on Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:34 pm

My son traded in all his 360 stuff last night to preorder that Titanfall Xbox One. I really had no interest in the game but now it's starting to intrigue me a little bit. The only problem I am having is I am not that great at multiplayer online FPS's and I don't have the time to try and get really good. But the idea of running around and having mechs drop down from the sky looks freaking cool.
ajh2298
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby count2infinity on Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:53 pm

360ers of LGP... I am going to get a used game at gamestop after work. I enjoy non-realistic FPS (I own all the Halos), and I enjoy puzzle/adventure games (I own all the assassins creeds and Portal). Any games i should keep an eye out for?

Here's a list of things I'm thinking about:
Red Dead Redpemption
Borderlands (2)
Left 4 dead
Half life (2)
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby viva la ben on Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:55 pm

You seriously never played halflife 2?
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby count2infinity on Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:55 pm

no i have not. nor have i played 1. lol
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby viva la ben on Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:57 pm

I'd watch one of those youtube videos summing up halflife and buy halflife 2...do they make the orange box for the 360? If they do get that.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:59 pm

ajh2298 wrote:My son traded in all his 360 stuff last night to preorder that Titanfall Xbox One. I really had no interest in the game but now it's starting to intrigue me a little bit. The only problem I am having is I am not that great at multiplayer online FPS's and I don't have the time to try and get really good. But the idea of running around and having mechs drop down from the sky looks freaking cool.

I bought my 360 used (and a bit beat up) in summer 2010. It's tray was sticking recently until I sprayed some compressed air in there. If the One could play 360 games I think I'd be on board for this. As it stands, I doubt I've spent more than $300 on my Xbox since buying it then. Buying the 360 version will still be cheaper than buying an entire new console to play it on.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:12 pm

count2infinity wrote:no i have not. nor have i played 1. lol

I never played 2 either.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:36 pm

count2infinity wrote:360ers of LGP... I am going to get a used game at gamestop after work. I enjoy non-realistic FPS (I own all the Halos), and I enjoy puzzle/adventure games (I own all the assassins creeds and Portal). Any games i should keep an eye out for?

Here's a list of things I'm thinking about:
Red Dead Redpemption
Borderlands (2)
Left 4 dead
Half life (2)

I've only played Red Dead of these 4, but it has one of the best campaigns I've ever played. Such a great story.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to NHR