Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby malkinshair on Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:42 pm

I recently picked up AC3 again after leaving it for about a year. I was only about 10 hours in, but had made it to Connor being a man...and was trolling around Boston. I had read that the game picks up from there, but was really bored with it at that point. Since 'restarting', I've been having a blast. The naval missions are short but fun, and the historical aspects of the war, characters, etc. are keeping me interested. I've read the AC4 is a ton of fun, and almost bought it this week...but I may wait til I finish this one.
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:51 pm

I 100%ed AC4 yesterday. Not just sync but collecting everything in present day as well. I think i'm going to go sell it because there is nothing left to do. Remaining achievements are all multiplayer.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:24 pm

count2infinity wrote:360ers of LGP... I am going to get a used game at gamestop after work. I enjoy non-realistic FPS (I own all the Halos), and I enjoy puzzle/adventure games (I own all the assassins creeds and Portal). Any games i should keep an eye out for?

Here's a list of things I'm thinking about:
Red Dead Redpemption
Borderlands (2)
Left 4 dead
Half life (2)

Left 4 Dead isn't bad, but it's old (there's a 2nd one out). You could get Half-Life 2 in the Orange Box combo with Portal and Team Fortress 2, but seeing as you already have Portal, it probably doesn't make a difference.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shyster on Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:06 pm

Played about 10 minutes of the new Thief last night. So far, all I can say is "It's pretty." Also, I've read there were technical reasons for switching voice actors, but I really miss Stephen Russell, who was the voice of Garrett in every prior Thief game. His dripping-with-sarcasm delivery was perfect for that character.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:07 pm

That game looks awesome...if I had an Xbone, I'd get it.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shyster on Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:17 pm

viva la ben wrote:I'd watch one of those youtube videos summing up halflife and buy halflife 2...do they make the orange box for the 360? If they do get that.

It may be an old game with outdated graphics, but I'd play the original. Half-Life is, IMO, one of the most revolutionary PC games of all time. It was the first FPS game I remember to incorporate a cohesive story directly into gameplay. Games prior to that like the Doom series, Quake, Unreal, etc. tended to have minimal plots and a level-based structure. Kill enemies and get to exit. See your score. Rinse and repeat. Every few levels, you get a boss fight. Repeat until end of game and final boss. Half-Life tossed that staid structure.

On the topic of my prior post, November of 1998 was a banner month for video games. Half-Life and Thief: The Dark Project were both released that month. Thief was almost as revolutionary as Half-Life. While it was still divided into discrete levels, it introduced the concept of stealth to the first-person genre and coined the term "first-person sneaker."

Also, there's a graphically updated and remastered version of Half-Life called Half-Life Source. http://store.steampowered.com/app/280/. It still won't look as good as a brand-new game, but it'll look better than the original.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby skullman80 on Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:42 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:That game looks awesome...if I had an Xbone, I'd get it.

It's on current gen consoles too I think.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:46 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I 100%ed AC4 yesterday. Not just sync but collecting everything in present day as well. I think i'm going to go sell it because there is nothing left to do. Remaining achievements are all multiplayer.

Crikey, I totally forgot all about the present-day stuff.

Is it worth collecting everything? I'm probably at about 95% of all the pirate world stuff, but maybe only 30% of the modern-day collectibles.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:04 pm

tifosi77 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:I 100%ed AC4 yesterday. Not just sync but collecting everything in present day as well. I think i'm going to go sell it because there is nothing left to do. Remaining achievements are all multiplayer.

Crikey, I totally forgot all about the present-day stuff.

Is it worth collecting everything? I'm probably at about 95% of all the pirate world stuff, but maybe only 30% of the modern-day collectibles.

No reward for the modern day stuff...I thought I might even get like a 10 second communicator message from the assassins...but nothing. I think you unlock something by getting all of the pirate stuff...I did that before fully synching the main storyline or beating the legendary ships.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JeffDFD on Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:22 am

count2infinity wrote:360ers of LGP... I am going to get a used game at gamestop after work. I enjoy non-realistic FPS (I own all the Halos), and I enjoy puzzle/adventure games (I own all the assassins creeds and Portal). Any games i should keep an eye out for?

Here's a list of things I'm thinking about:
Red Dead Redpemption
Borderlands (2)
Left 4 dead
Half life (2)

The Half Life games do a great job of immersing you in the story. Very creative and fun. Youtube or Read/Wiki the story for HL1 and then play all the 2's (There is HL2, HL2 ep1, HL2 ep2). I would even recommend still playing HL1...it is a ton of fun - very groundbreaking at the time...but if you don't have the time you can get caught up on youtube/wiki.

Red Dead Redemption was also a blast but is open world/sandbox like all the GTA game (made by the same company) Lots of fun but you have to have the desire to want to go off and do side missions. I loved it, but considering you said you like FPS this may not be for you.

I never got into Left4Dead, but I believe it is more of a hack/slash the zombie horde and not very story driven

I don't know a lot about Borderlands.

If you want an immersive FPS...HL2 all the way. Get the Orange Box. You can find it cheap somewhere. Probably $20 or less. Has all 3 HL2 games, plus multiplayer Team Fortress and Portal 1. You probably won't care about team fortress and you said you already played portal so if you got orange box maybe you could get some cash for selling stand alone portal? Portal 2 is a lot of fun too if you haven't played that yet.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:28 am

I wouldn't say L4D isn't story-driven, in the sense that there is an overarching plot, but it has different "stories" disguised as levels (Airport, Hospital, and Highway are the 3 I can remember off the top of my head) you need to make your way through to ultimately escape the zombie horde.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:50 pm

Even more annoying NHL 14 stuff (a continuation):

A few days ago, I complained about Sidney Crosby only having 34 points in 39 games.

What makes this even more infuriating than before is that Sidney Crosby was listed as a 99 OV when I played in the ASG. A 99 OV should never be outscored in a simulation by an 85 OV player (Gustav Nyquist is listed as 85).

They really need to fix that.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:07 pm

Maybe the simulation includes the anti-Bylsma forcefield.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shyster on Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:57 pm

Played some more Thief last night. I’m still very early in, but some aspects of the game are raising warning flags. The game offers tremendous hand-holding. There is a waypoint system that will literally, if you let it, point you right at the next shadow to hide in. There’s also a special vision mode that will highlight things like climbable ladders or openable windows. I have the waypoints turned off and don't use the magic vision stuff.

Also, thus far the game has been almost exclusively linear with few opportunities to choose your own path. I hope that’s just for now and the game will open up as I get into it. One of the charms of past Thief games was the plethora of different ways you could move around. Many missions might start with you standing outside the building you’re supposed to loot, and getting in is up to you. You might find a window left ajar, or a servant’s entrance around back with a pickable lock, or an open skylight after climbing up onto the roof, or if you were brave you could distract or knock out the guards and saunter in through the front door. But which one you picked was up to you. I’m getting a bad feeling that this Thief might offer only one option.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:59 pm

skullman80 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:That game looks awesome...if I had an Xbone, I'd get it.

It's on current gen consoles too I think.

So it is... i'll get it once the price drops.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Samsdog on Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:12 pm

Recently played Tomb Raider Definitive Edition for PS4. Wasn't off the charts great but still very entertaining, enjoyed breaking in the new console on it.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rylan on Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:18 pm

I'm enjoying Bioshock Infinite. It's so bright compared with metro last light
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby count2infinity on Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:44 am

for anyone that's wondering songs:

Spoiler:
1 - Pong
2 - PacMan
3 - Tetris
4 - Mario
5 - Zelda
6 - Sonic
7 - Pokemon
8 - World of Warcraft
9 - Angry Birds
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Postby Chefpatrick871 on Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:06 pm

Rylan wrote:I'm enjoying Bioshock Infinite. It's so bright compared with metro last light

Did you get ps plus??
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rylan on Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:17 pm

I did. I wanted to play XCOM and the others made the deal seem alright.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Chefpatrick871 on Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:46 pm

Rylan wrote:I did. I wanted to play XCOM and the others made the deal seem alright.

Did you get payday 2
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rylan on Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:20 pm

Chefpatrick871 wrote:
Rylan wrote:I did. I wanted to play XCOM and the others made the deal seem alright.

Did you get payday 2

Not yet. I can do that tomorrow night.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Spangler on Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:34 am

A website I'm writing reviews for is giving away a copy of Skyrim and Bishock Infinite. All you need to do is like and share our facebook page.

http://reviewjunkies.com/2014/03/01/mar ... -giveaway/
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby malkinshair on Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:01 pm

PS+ will have Tomb Raider in the instant game collection in March!
So psyched...considering I almost bought it this weekend. Their lineup is getting downright impressive.
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby offsides on Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:03 pm

I really enjoyed XCOM enemy unknown. Playing XCOM enemy within now. They made some nice improvements with the second one. Then again, maybe I'm just a sucker for old PC games. I know a lot of people don't like turn based games, but this is a pretty good one, IMO.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to NHR