Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins 2017 Stanley Cup Champs Fan Gear and Collectibles

Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby Shyster on Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:30 pm

About 10 hours into Thief. This game is not bad, but it’s not great either.

The Good:
The otherwise-unnamed City is large and varied, with plenty of places to explore. It’s so large that even with a map I’ve gotten lost several times, but it’s fun to explore. Graphics are pretty good, although the game takes place completely at night and dark and gloomy is the style. New thieving tools like wrenches, razors, and wirecutters increase the variety of the game. The new “swoop” method of movement is useful.

The Bad:
The City is a labyrinth, and it can be confusing to move from area to area. Many of the paths to get to other sections are not obvious, such as windows you have to pry open. As one example, I spent about 15 minutes trying to figure out how to get to the next street over before I realized you had to walk up to two stacks of barrels and then press the action key to crawl through the crack between the stacks. Guard AI is okay but not great, and the guards can be buggy. In a funny moment, one guard in the clocktower square suddenly stopped and then began to rotate in place at several hundred rpm.

As other knocks, the missions I’ve undertaken so far have indeed been pretty linear. You have to make sure you grab everything the first time, since the missions often include one-way transitions. If you missed a piece of unique loot that you want to get, you have to do that section (or even the entire mission) over again. The cutscenes are annoying and come from the jerk-the-camera-around school of cinematography. The story for the game is a hot mess. I have no idea where it’s going. Audio is awkward. While exploring the City, at times you will hear people supposedly talking inside the buildings, but they sound like they’re standing right next to you. The script for guards and other characters is limited, and they say the exact same things over and over and over again. While skulking around a square containing two patrolling guards, I swear I heard them have the exact same three-sentence conversation more than 20 times. You’ll want to knock the guards out just to make them shut up. Finally, Garrett's “home” features display racks for displaying the unique loot in the game. While players might like to gaze at their loot collections, a real thief wouldn’t want to keep around hot goods like that and would fence them ASAP. Garrett comes across more as a kleptomaniac trinket collector than a true thief.

So far, Thief is at best a 5/10.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:50 pm

Went looking to get 12 months of xbox live...best buy has, for $60, one of gta3, forza 5, halo 4, cod ghosts, or a couple other games plus 12 months .
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Dickie Dunn on Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:08 pm

Can't wait (though I imagine I will be waiting for a while since it looks like it'll be for PS4 and Xbox One). The quality of the CGI in that trailer is amazing.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Loaf31 on Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:40 pm

I'm am so tempted to go get the Titanfall XBone bundle, but I already have the PS4 and I think my wife would divorce me, so it looks like I will have to wait
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Shyster on Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:42 pm

My completed (for now) Kerbal Space Station, with two attached Dragon Rider capsules on the front and bottom. The thing attached to the top is one of the unmanned orbital tugs I used to assemble the parts. I'm keeping it attached to serve as emergency fuel storage. Everything in this picture took 12 separate launches to put into orbit. This picture also includes parts or effects (such as the clouds on Kerbin) added by approximately 11 different mods.

Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby slappybrown on Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:58 pm

Now what?
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:00 pm

That Batman trailer looks pretty sweet. Of course a cut scene could look like that on the ps360 generation, but still cool.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ajh2298 on Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:01 pm

Loaf31 wrote:I'm am so tempted to go get the Titanfall XBone bundle, but I already have the PS4 and I think my wife would divorce me, so it looks like I will have to wait

My son ended getting this. What I don't understand is why couldn't Microsoft throw in the Titanfall controller they are selling by itself or at least throw a Titanfall themed decal or two on the console itself.
ajh2298
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:02 pm

I don't know what the popular opinion is, but if I were getting a console, something like that woudl turn me off from getting that bundle.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:11 pm

Loaf31 wrote:I'm am so tempted to go get the Titanfall XBone bundle, but I already have the PS4 and I think my wife would divorce me, so it looks like I will have to wait

I got both Ps4 and Xb1 and my fiancé has said "you can't keep buying gaming systems forever" every day to me since I have got both. :( A daily reminder....
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ajh2298 on Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:25 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I don't know what the popular opinion is, but if I were getting a console, something like that woudl turn me off from getting that bundle.

I see your point also but there was so much build up for this game and to be their true first "system selling" title why didn't just go all in.
ajh2298
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ajh2298 on Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:29 pm

Also right now I am only a xb1 guy as far as the newer consoles go but as soon as release the next "Uncharted" somehow someway I am getting a PS4.
ajh2298
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Shyster on Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:14 pm

slappybrown wrote:Now what?

For me? I'm hesitant to go to Duna or other planets before the devs have added biomes to them. I'll probably work on launching fuel tankers to those other planets so that any missions I send later only need to carry enough fuel for the outbound trip and can use the propellant in the tankers for the landings and return trip. I'll send a tanker to Moho, Duna, Dres, and maybe Jool every time a Hohmann transfer window opens.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby dodint on Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:49 pm

I'm waiting until I get through 20 seasons of Live The Life in NHL14 before I buy a PS4.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:58 pm

I've been wanting to start Zelda: Skyward Sword, but I've been wrapped up in reading Storm of Swords my spare time. I might just buy Donkey Country 1 for the SNES and just play that for a little bit while I'm finishing reading that book.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:00 pm

My brother just found Skies of Arcadia and is getting it to me. So excited. I just found an auction to start following on Sunday so its good to know I already have it.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:44 pm

Did you guys ever have the Spider Man Cartoon Maker? I think it came out in the mid-1990s. Basically, it allows you to create "animated" comic book stories with Spider Man characters/sounds.

Here's a video:

shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:03 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:Did you guys ever have the Spider Man Cartoon Maker? I think it came out in the mid-1990s. Basically, it allows you to create "animated" comic book stories with Spider Man characters/sounds.

Here's a video:

Holy spider man dude, I just to play that all the time when I would visit my uncle. Wow that was a blast from the past.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:43 pm

South Park: The Stick of Truth has been sooooo enjoyable, especially as a fan of the show. So many jokes and references within the game. Meanwhile the game itself feels just like an episode.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby malkinshair on Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:14 pm

Started Tomb Raider last night. So far, so awesome. It feels like an Uncharted game...which is nowhere near a bad thing. I never really played through any of the previous Tomb Raider games, so I'm not sure I'll appreciate the story as much as a 'true fan', but the opening sequences were incredible...even with the QTEs.
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Loaf31 on Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:17 pm

Watchdogs FINALLY has a release date: May 27th. I've been waiting for this game for a long time.
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:28 pm

Watchdogs looks cool, but has the potential of being a real stinker. Very ambitious game model.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby AlexPKeaton on Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:47 pm

Rylan wrote:South Park: The Stick of Truth has been sooooo enjoyable, especially as a fan of the show. So many jokes and references within the game. Meanwhile the game itself feels just like an episode.

Yeah the game is really quality for a licensed game. The City Wok stuff had me actually laughing out loud.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Spangler on Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:14 pm

malkinshair wrote:Started Tomb Raider last night. So far, so awesome. It feels like an Uncharted game...which is nowhere near a bad thing. I never really played through any of the previous Tomb Raider games, so I'm not sure I'll appreciate the story as much as a 'true fan', but the opening sequences were incredible...even with the QTEs.

I don't know, I've heard some "true fans" hated the game because it was different.

You will probably get the maximum enjoyment out of it.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ajh2298 on Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:19 pm

Spangler wrote:
malkinshair wrote:Started Tomb Raider last night. So far, so awesome. It feels like an Uncharted game...which is nowhere near a bad thing. I never really played through any of the previous Tomb Raider games, so I'm not sure I'll appreciate the story as much as a 'true fan', but the opening sequences were incredible...even with the QTEs.

I don't know, I've heard some "true fans" hated the game because it was different.

You will probably get the maximum enjoyment out of it.

I am playing this right now on the XB1 and I can easily say this is in my top 5 games of all time.
ajh2298
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to NHR