Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:54 pm

Great suggestions, guys....off to eBay I go. The local used game place has RBI Baseball, but I don't remember which one.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ajh2298 on Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:10 pm

Bought Titanfall and god do I suck at it.

Also finished Tomb Raider and it was well worth playing. I would rank it right behind The Last of Us as my favorite game this generation.
Last edited by ajh2298 on Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ajh2298
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby dodint on Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:12 pm

Loaf31 wrote:I always loved the Road Rash series

This guy. Yes.
dodint
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby dodint on Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:14 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Great suggestions, guys....off to eBay I go. The local used game place has RBI Baseball, but I don't remember which one.

Not sure if you're anywhere near Westmoreland county but there is still a Cash-In-Culture behind Westmoreland Mall. You could build a pretty legit Genesis collection pretty cheap there.
dodint
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pittsoccer33 on Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:18 pm

Aladdin for Genesis is great. That, Sonic 2, and Jurassic Park were probably the games I played for it the most.

a few others that were classics - earthworth jim, zombies ate my neighbors, x-men, nba jam

All the old consoles will look awful on an HDTV. they just exaggerate all the problems with the graphics.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby dodint on Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:27 pm

It's all in how you connect them.

I have an Atari 7800 hooked up to my 73" TV. I replaced the switchbox with a direct gold tipped phono-to-F adapter which keeps all the snow out.

My NES/SNES are connected with composite cables, same as above.

The Wii is connected via component. The PS3 through HDMI. Everything except the Atari runs through my A/V receiver and is upconverted as it passes through the TV to HDMI. Unfortunately I upgraded my receiver last month and lost my S-Video capability for now, so the Sega Saturn/Genesis/Master System and Dreamcast are all on the outside looking in for the moment. I might hook my old receiver up next to it and run it through the new one as an input, but then you'd have multi-layered switching which is a pain logistically.

The only real issue I have with the older systems is that they aren't 'vibrant' like they would be on a CRT, but they're not bad and given everything considered I'm happy with it. The only thing that REALLY suffers, to me, is the early 3D stuff like on the Saturn. Or if you tried to play Stanley Cup Hockey or Doom II for the SNES. It didn't age well at all. Sidescrollers and top down games are still great, though.
dodint
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Loaf31 on Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:33 pm

Anyone pick up Titanfall for the Xbone? Thinking hard about grabbing the bundle, but I am not sure if it is worth it
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ajh2298 on Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:55 pm

Loaf31 wrote:Anyone pick up Titanfall for the Xbone? Thinking hard about grabbing the bundle, but I am not sure if it is worth it

I got I wouldn't say it was a system seller for me. But it is very enjoyable as I get better at it.
ajh2298
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:08 am

I finally got a few rounds of Titanfall in last night. It seems like "finally" because the game had been out since midnight, but I was easily the lowest ranked player in any of the 10 rounds I played in last night. :lol: There's even a thread in reddit about how "boring" the game is after playing the game for 15 hours since release (some used VPNs to play in Asia where the release was earlier.)

It has been well documented that there isn't a single player mode, which is fine with me. Coming from the Battlefield series, which never really had a true single player campaign until BF3 (and they probably shouldn't bother with it), I don't really like scripted single player games on rails. With the old COD and MOH games, I would get off in some corner and never be able to trigger the next event in the campaign and just stop playing it...Multiplayer is where it's at for me. Vince Zampella, creator/CEO of Respawn, basically said they didn't have the resources for a huge single player game...and that fewer than 5% actually complete the whole campaign, so they'd rather concentrate on multiplayer. I like that thinking.

Titanfall does have a campaign mode though - it's a series of narrations over multiplayer maps, detailing the story behind the game. Interesting storyline, but I used this time to keep up with the Pens game last night. :lol:

I think we mostly have Xbox Titanfall owners here, but it ran really well at maxed out settings on my PC...a few frame drops during the campaign cut scenes, but not during gameplay.

My major problem so far is the matchmaking service or lobby. This is something new for me; generally in BF and older COD titles you select a server to play on from a server browser and you begin playing. With this game, you enter a lobby with random players. I think there is a way to play with friends in a party system, but I didn't see an option for that. My first round I was put on a team with five other brand new or nearly new players. Our opponents were all rank 11 or above, including a max rank guy of 50. So we got owned with weapons, abilities, and burn cards that we didn't have access to yet. Kind of frustrating.

Definitely a good game that has a lot of potential...ranking is pretty quick, too. In under an hour of game time, I got to rank 9.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:05 pm

http://www.polygon.com/2014/3/12/549917 ... fast-paced

Pretty much what I was hoping for. Sounds like RBI will be out early next month.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Loaf31 on Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:03 pm

I think that I am going to pull the trigger on the Titanfall XBone bundle on Friday
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:06 pm

I know Jess has it, maybe there is a review on faceoff factor.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:11 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:http://www.polygon.com/2014/3/12/5499176/r-b-i-baseball-14-mlb-preview-simple-fast-paced

Pretty much what I was hoping for. Sounds like RBI will be out early next month.

Just going to post about that...My only option is get it for the iPad, or maybe my SIII...not sure if I want to do that though. It would be perfect for a 3DS though...man, Nintendo needs to wake up.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Shyster on Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:46 pm

The Western Digital Velociraptor I bought for my gaming PC two years ago was only 125 GB, and that's getting a little tight, so I picked up a second 500 GB Velociraptor to add to the system. The second will do nothing but serve as a repository for Steam.

I'll share this fail for your amusement. I bought the drive and two new SATA cables. My case has a cage for 3.5″ drives where you just push two plastic rails into the sides of the drive (using the existing screw holes), and then slide the drive into a slot where it locks in place. The cage runs left-right from looking at the front of the case. I have always inserted drives with the power plugs facing left, which is away from the motherboard. I was disappointed that the two 10″ cables I bought were too short, and I also had a tough time getting the power cables to fit both hard drives and still get the side of the case on. I was about to buy two new longer cables from Newegg when I had the revelation (which I should have had years ago), that there's absolutely nothing preventing me from putting the rails on the drives going the other way so that the connections face right. And in fact upon inspection the case is clearly designed to have them face that way from the beginning because there's more clearance on the other side, and there's a big opening on the right side of the case so you can access them. And of course the cables are more than long enough now because they don't have to go around the drives.

Ever seen one of those viral videos were a dog carrying a stick is trying to get through a door narrower than the stick, and it sits there ramming the stick into the frame because it doesn't think to turn sideways? I did something very similar. :face:
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Loaf31 on Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:30 am

Bought the Titanfall XBone bundle yesterday and have yet to be able to play a game. Constantly sick on the matchmaking screen
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby viva la ben on Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:48 pm

The matchmaking system MS introduced with halo 2 pretty much ruined halo 2 multiplayer. Sounds like it's the same with titanfall
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:38 pm

For those who wonder how Nintendo can put out Wii U and not go under:

http://www.gamesradar.com/nintendo-doom ... -got-bank/
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ajh2298 on Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:58 pm

Tried the smart pistol on Titanfall today and ended up with 0 pilot kills but 62 kills of the minions. I don't know if that's good or bad. Also the SMG with the "Run & Gun" kit is pretty deadly since it lets you shoot while running.
ajh2298
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Loaf31 on Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:11 pm

Finally figured out my problem, it was my router. Bought a new one and it works flawlessly
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby JS© on Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:05 am

http://kotaku.com/lets-roll-one-up-for- ... 684876/all

Happy 10th anniversary, Katamari Damacy

JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:20 am

JS© wrote:http://kotaku.com/lets-roll-one-up-for-the-10th-anniversary-of-katamari-1546684876/all

Happy 10th anniversary, Katamari Damacy

YES! one of my favorite all time games
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:28 pm

ajh2298 wrote:Tried the smart pistol on Titanfall today and ended up with 0 pilot kills but 62 kills of the minions. I don't know if that's good or bad. Also the SMG with the "Run & Gun" kit is pretty deadly since it lets you shoot while running.

Smart pistol is great for Attrition mode specifically for farming minions. Don't forget to wallhang and wait for them to walk by...and zap 'em.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:14 pm

Hey now, EA! They finally released an offline mode for SimCity! A year too late, methinks.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Loaf31 on Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:46 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:
ajh2298 wrote:Tried the smart pistol on Titanfall today and ended up with 0 pilot kills but 62 kills of the minions. I don't know if that's good or bad. Also the SMG with the "Run & Gun" kit is pretty deadly since it lets you shoot while running.

Smart pistol is great for Attrition mode specifically for farming minions. Don't forget to wallhang and wait for them to walk by...and zap 'em.

I think that the shotgun may be my favorite weapon so far
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Juice on Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:25 pm

Loaf31 wrote:
Digitalgypsy66 wrote:

I think that the shotgun may be my favorite weapon so far

was just coming in to post about the shotgun... i'm not good enough to spot anyone from a distance yet so all of my kills come in tight which the shotgun really does wreck faces
Juice
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to NHR