Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:56 am

nocera wrote:Has anyone with a 360 set up their router for port forwarding? I've tried to do it on my own using the official site and portforward.com and i'm totally lost.

I've been having some lag issues while watching Game Center/HBO Go, as well as during some gaming. Not sure if it's due to the port forwarding thing, my internet just sucking, or Xbox Live in general.

I can help! I actually just had a problem with my port forwarding being all messed up, so I recently redid the whole works.

How lost are you? Can you get to your router's webpage?

For the short version, make sure you have your port forwarding/virtual server screen set up like this. Just worry about the Xbox settings. The others are for my media server and DVR software:

There are a few things going on here that are somewhat related and somewhat separate. I will update my post when I get home if anything I wrote is wrong.

You need to know your Xbox's IP address on your network. The best way to know what it is all the time is to set it yourself.

The most important part is putting the Xbox into the "DMZ." This means it sits outside of the safety of your network. You probably wouldn't want your PC to be there, but theres no danger in your game console being there. This is important because it affects online play. On the 360 each online game is actually hosted by one of the players on their own Xbox. When someone has a "strict" nat that will affect who can play.

I don't think the media streaming stuff should be affected by port fowarding.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:27 pm

Xbox Live was having issues yesterday, not sure if that was the reason for your issues or not though...
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Shyster on Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:45 pm

The Kerbal Space Program Asteroid Intercept Mission is pretty close to being released. The new stuff is version 0.23.5 of the game and was developed in conjunction with NASA and is designed to emulate a mission that NASA plans to fly in the future. The idea is to send a craft to not only intercept an asteroid as it flies past Kerbin, but also to grab onto that asteroid in order to nudge it into a stable orbit from which it can be examined at leisure. Obviously, the game will have asteroids, and there’s a new “claw” part for grabbing onto them. The game also has more new NASA-approved rocket parts that let you build the (theoretically) upcoming Space Launch System. They’re the biggest stock rocket tanks and engines in the game so far.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:01 pm

:shock:
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:11 am

I've tried to start Kerbal but I'm entirely overwhelmed
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:53 am

Same happened to me maybe 4 months ago. I resigned myself to just enjoying Shysters updates haha.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shyster on Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:50 pm

It's not an easy or intuitive game; I'll admit that. I do know that better (and more) tutorials and instructive material is being targeted for the next update or two, so the devs are working hard to make it accessible for more players. Scott Manley has also added more tutorial videos to his YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/user/szyzyg) to cover things like orbital rendezvous and docking, transferring to moons and other planets, and advanced rocket design.

Plus, according to Steam I've spent nearly 600 hours playing KSP. Thanks to my complete lack of a social life, I've been able to get pretty good at this stuff. When I first started out, I spent hours and hours pretty much doing nothing but crashing and blowing up.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:16 pm

Respawn is doing something different (and unique?) about cheaters in Titanfall, at least on the PC. If a cheat/hack is detected, you won't be banned per se, but you will only be able to play in special "cheaterpartys" or lobbies. Very interesting.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Shyster on Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:47 pm

I saw an article about that Titanfall decision this morning. Here's the Q-and-A from the official announcement:

Q.) So what happens if I get banned?

A.) Great news: you get to keep playing Titanfall! Less-great news: you only get to play with other cheaters. You can play with other banned players in something that will resemble the Wimbledon of aimbot contests. Hopefully the aimbot cheat you paid for really is the best, or these all-cheater matches could be frustrating for you. Good luck.

:lol: at "Wimbledon of aimbot contests." Also, anyone that plays in a group with a cheater will be forced to play only against cheaters. So other players are strongly encouraged to ostracize cheaters.

This is as creative as the anti-theft mechanism for the game Game Dev Tycoon. If the game detects that it's a pirated copy, your company in the game will slowly go bankrupt because online pirates are stealing all its games. When it first came out, there were plenty of hilarious online posts where people playing cracked games were whining how their virtual video-game company wasn't making any money due to all the stealing.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Loaf31 on Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:22 am

After holding out on my FIFA 14 MM for a decent International Management offer, I was finally offered the US job and I was stoked until the game froze...

Rebooted it up and I was hoping to get the same offer, but I didn't. I was offered Brazil's job, and I signed immediately.
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Shyster on Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:27 pm

I must not have been the only one complaining about the ion engine in KSP, because I've learned one of the updates that will be in the Asteroid Intercept Mission is a tweak to the ion engine that will quadruple its thrust while cutting its electricity usage in half. While that will make it less realistic, it's a welcome change.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby PensFanInDC on Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:17 pm

Downloading State of Decay
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Spangler on Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:53 am

Here's a really good article about MGSV: Ground Zeroes discussing the more realistic approach to tactical espionage operations. There's some spoilers in it, but they are very vague.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/article ... ence-Right
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:34 am

I think I'm on the longest video game drought of my life. I haven't played in like a month or so.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Froggy on Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:18 am

the wicked child wrote:The Barbarian did seem too easy to me... there were very few times that I actually felt threatened. Some of the special enemy fights earlier in the game before I was powered up were probably the "worst". Those damn trees seemed to do an obnoxious amount of damage. Once I got rolling though, I seldom was even slightly concerned about dying.

Yeah, the only things you have to worry about as a barb are poison, molten, or arcane enemies. Because while you're twirling around in your WW, they will kill you and not have to worry about taking hits, and linger around for a bit. They are easy enough to avoid, though. At least once you know what to watch for, that is.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Loaf31 on Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:37 am

Cannot wait for The Show to come out on PS4
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Shyster on Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:24 pm

In what is thankfully not an April Fools prank, the Kerbal Asteroid Redirect Mission was released today.

KSP is also 40% off on Steam to celebrate the release.

Steam recently added user reviews for games, and I was flipping through some of the ones for KSP. Each review lists how many hours the reviewer has played the game. I'm somewhere around 600 hours on KSP, which I thought was a lot, but I ran across one guy (and I think it's safe to assume it's a guy) with 1,600 hours. :shock:
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Kraftster on Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:07 am

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn comes out for the PS4 in a couple of weeks. I've thought about buying it since there is almost nothing else to play on the system. Has anyone played it for PC or PS3?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Dickie Dunn on Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:20 am

Hitman Absolution is free to download for Xbox Live Gold members for the next two weeks.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Avyran on Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:50 am

Kraftster wrote:Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn comes out for the PS4 in a couple of weeks. I've thought about buying it since there is almost nothing else to play on the system. Has anyone played it for PC or PS3?

Played it for a couple of weeks. Beautiful game, but I could never really get into it. I play a lot of Guild Wars 2 (another MMO on PC), and the combat in FFXIV just felt... slow and lackluster compared to GW2. It allows for a lot of customization & switching up, as your class is dependent on what weapon you're equipping. However, I just didn't enjoy any of the weapons that I played, partially because the battle system felt so slow to me. A couple friends that also play GW2 say that they really enjoyed Final Fantasy for a while, but kinda ran out of things to do.

It's a fun game to try, but I'm not sure I would buy it at full price. I think a couple others on the board have a more positive view of the game, though.
Avyran
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kraftster on Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:55 am

Interesting. Thanks for the info. I'd be coming from WoW and Diablo III as my only other MMOs. I have a hard time imagining either being playable on a console, but the bottom line is there is really nothing worth playing on the PS4 other than FIFA, so I'm really looking for something to really take the system for a spin.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:56 am

new mario kart is looking gorgeous. I'm excited for this
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:59 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-WladmrdNQ[/youtube]

Shark (megalodon) Easter egg in BF4...lol
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:59 pm

Shark (megalodon) Easter egg in BF4...lol
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Spangler on Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:17 am

This was upsetting for me so I had to share. My favorite video game news channel on Youtube, Rev3 Games, had their top 2 personalities quit within a couple days of one another. It's like the equivalent of both Malkin and Crosby leaving the Penguins for good. I imagine the channel is going to tank fast because it never had a super following to begin with, and they were two of the more popular members.

The personalities were Adam Sessler, formerly the host of G4's X-Play, and Anthony Carboni. Sessler brought a ton of people to the channel, including me, and many tuned in just for him.

I'm just bummed out because I liked to watch their "Let's Plays", and other segments because I enjoyed their personalities.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to NHR