Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby joeyg412 on Fri May 09, 2014 12:25 am

Loaf31 wrote:Anyone know how a Fantasy Draft works on The Show? When you choose a team to be, do you get their minor league system or do you also have to draft a full minor league system?

i have no idea, but if you guys wanna try it out this weekend or something add me on PSN- Jgapsky83
joeyg412
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby newarenanow on Fri May 09, 2014 11:08 am

http://metro.co.uk/2014/05/07/nintendo- ... r-4720234/

Nintendo continues to have poor financial performance. Have only sold approx 3.6M Wii U systems this year when projections were 9M. Ouch.

Get more games out there and maybe you will sell more.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Fri May 09, 2014 11:12 am

newarenanow wrote:http://metro.co.uk/2014/05/07/nintendo-posts-annual-loss-predicts-only-3-6-million-wii-u-sales-this-year-4720234/

Nintendo continues to have poor financial performance. Have only sold approx 3.6M Wii U systems this year when projections were 9M. Ouch.

Get more games out there and maybe you will sell more.

mario kart 8 should help I would think, they need a hardcore zelda game before it's too late (maybe it's already too late).

then theres this:

According to senior analyst David Gibson, Nintendo will not be taking a loss on Wii U consoles sold anymore. This change happened after the quarterly financial briefing, in which Nintendo stated its outlook for the next year to be 3.6 million units sold. According to Gibson, this is more than Nintendo currently has in stock, so more Wii U units will need to be produced, meaning Nintendo will not be taking a loss on inventory sitting in warehouses waiting to be on retail shelves.
This is good news, but so far Nintendo’s forecasts have been very high. With this conservative forecast, Iwata seems to finally acknowledge that the Wii U needs more than one or two games from Nintendo every month in order to move the units of previous forecasts.

http://wiiudaily.com/2014/05/nintendo-no-more-wii-u-loss/
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kraftster on Fri May 09, 2014 11:16 am

Still very happy with FF XIV.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Fri May 09, 2014 11:16 am

They have a core set of franchises that other consoles do not have. Mario, Zelda, Metroid. Those are the only reason to buy their system, IMO, and they don't have a new Zelda or Metroid.

Therefore, I have no reason to buy one. I like MK, but it's not enough to sell a system for me.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Fri May 09, 2014 11:18 am

I really hope they show the new zelda at E3 this year, it would be a wise move.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Fri May 09, 2014 11:22 am

There was speculation that Nintendo was working on consoles for developing markets, and it was confirmed: http://www.cnet.com/news/nintendo-to-de ... g-markets/

Nintendo plans to develop new consoles it will market in emerging markets beginning next year, Nintendo President Satoru Iwata told Bloomberg.

Rather than rebadging existing hardware, the video game maker plans to design new devices specifically for the markets, Iwata told the news agency.

"We want to make new things, with new thinking rather than a cheaper version of what we currently have," he said. "The product and price balance must be made from scratch."

Creating new hardware for emerging markets represents a strategy shift for the company, which has historically sold the same hardware to all of its global markets. Iwata is struggling to breathe new life into the company after the poor sales performance of Wii U.

Interesting. But my kids, fairly avid users of the original Wii and were big users of the 3DS until they got iPods, have no interest in the Wii U. It's PS or Xbox or nothing. (Truthfully, I'm interested in those to play NHL and maybe a big boy baseball game again).
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby eddysnake on Fri May 09, 2014 11:28 am

not 100% sure, but I think this is for other countries rather than the US like India, Brazil, etc. I believe they have already done this for China
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Fri May 09, 2014 11:48 am

eddysnake wrote:not 100% sure, but I think this is for other countries rather than the US like India, Brazil, etc. I believe they have already done this for China

That's the way I read it.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Fri May 09, 2014 11:50 am

the wicked child wrote:They have a core set of franchises that other consoles do not have. Mario, Zelda, Metroid. Those are the only reason to buy their system, IMO, and they don't have a new Zelda or Metroid.

Therefore, I have no reason to buy one. I like MK, but it's not enough to sell a system for me.

Agree. I'm actually shocked a new Zelda is not already out, and it doesn't appear to be on the horizon anytime soon.

When they release a new system, they should already have a Zelda, Metroid and Mario games, along with DK and MK already to go shortly after launch. That would push the hardware, and then when people start getting bored with it, launch the next game in those series.

The hardware can be fantastic, but if you have no software for it, no one is going to buy it, especially with some very strong competition from PS and Xbox.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby the wicked child on Fri May 09, 2014 12:36 pm

newarenanow wrote:Agree. I'm actually shocked a new Zelda is not already out, and it doesn't appear to be on the horizon anytime soon.

When they release a new system, they should already have a Zelda, Metroid and Mario games, along with DK and MK already to go shortly after launch. That would push the hardware, and then when people start getting bored with it, launch the next game in those series.

The hardware can be fantastic, but if you have no software for it, no one is going to buy it, especially with some very strong competition from PS and Xbox.

Exactly. I use my PS3 almost every day. Even if I'm not playing a game, I'm watching a blu-ray or something on netflix. My Wii is still in the case from when I took it on vacation last summer for Rock Band, and I have no desire whatsoever to buy a Wii-U at this point. Yeah, I want to eventually play MK8, Super Mario 3D World and Windwaker HD... but those aren't enough reason for me to buy the system.

If they had a new Zelda and Metroid at launch, I might have been camping out for a system because those are my absolute favorites of all time. To my knowledge, there is no Metroid game even in the works which is extremely disappointing.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shyster on Fri May 09, 2014 4:10 pm

Nintendo's consoles aren't doing well, but the company isn't in trouble overall. Nintendo has a ridiculous amount of cash and investments held in reserve, something like $15 billion worth.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby newarenanow on Fri May 09, 2014 4:26 pm

Shyster wrote:Nintendo's consoles aren't doing well, but the company isn't in trouble overall. Nintendo has a ridiculous amount of cash and investments held in reserve, something like $15 billion worth.

Agree, Nintendo is going to go bankrupt, or fall on hard times anytime soon.

It just blows my mind that they will not learn from their mistakes.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shyster on Fri May 09, 2014 4:34 pm

I'm surprised that Nintendo has never developed a gaming phone. They've always killed it on handheld sales; most of their profits these days come from sales of the 3DS, and their prior handhelds have always been cash cows for the company. With that being threatened by casual games on iOS and Android, I'm amazed they haven't either self-developed a gaming phone or teamed up with someone like Samsung to co-develop a gaming phone. How many people would like to play Mario Kart or Zelda on their phones? I bet a lot.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby dodint on Fri May 09, 2014 5:02 pm

I used to emulate 8-bit NES on my HP PDA back in 2004. So, yes, we're here.
dodint
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tifosi77 on Fri May 09, 2014 6:38 pm

Nintendo has ¥812 billion in the bank, plus ¥469 billion held in assets. They could run a US$257 million deficit every year until the year 2075 before running out of money.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kaizer on Sat May 10, 2014 12:44 pm

Stop making stupid ****ing motion sensor controls that are completely inaccurate for anything not called wii sports.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby blurryhaze312 on Sat May 10, 2014 8:48 pm

Kraftster wrote:Still very happy with FF XIV.

What server are you on? Cactuar here.

newarenanow wrote:
Shyster wrote:Nintendo's consoles aren't doing well, but the company isn't in trouble overall. Nintendo has a ridiculous amount of cash and investments held in reserve, something like $15 billion worth.

Agree, Nintendo is going to go bankrupt, or fall on hard times anytime soon.

It just blows my mind that they will not learn from their mistakes.

Is it possible they are willing to take these crazy risks on "gimmicky" type consoles because they have all that cash in the bank? I mean, just considering how big of a smash hit the original Wii was, it was well worth it to try again on the Wii U, even if it wasn't that big of an upgrade. I actually dig the screen-controller and the ability to play solely on that without the need for the TV.

***Different Topic***
Anyone try Child of Light? I'm definitely buying it soon, just wanted to see if anyone else tried it yet.
blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby the wicked child on Sat May 10, 2014 8:59 pm

Nothing like popping a game into the PS3 for the first time and being greeted by the update screen of doom that lets you know you won't be playing anything for awhile.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby dodint on Sat May 10, 2014 9:22 pm

the wicked child wrote:Nothing like popping a game into the PS3 for the first time and being greeted by the update screen of doom that lets you know you won't be playing anything for awhile.

My biggest complaint with the new era of gaming right there. Everytime I neglect my PS3 for more than a week it needs to download the whole internet and archive it. It's a pain for the one I have in my bedroom that I only use for Netflix because if I'm watching Netflix in there I'm trying to fall asleep.
dodint
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby skullman80 on Sat May 10, 2014 9:57 pm

I can't remember if I could do this on my Ps3 or not, but I Know on PS4, game updates, and system updates can all be downloaded in standby mode and installed so things are ready to go as soon as you boot up the system.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby dodint on Sat May 10, 2014 9:58 pm

That would be nice. PS3 allows you to download *some* updates in the background, but if the game has an update itself that does no good.
dodint
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby skullman80 on Sat May 10, 2014 10:00 pm

dodint wrote:That would be nice. PS3 allows you to download *some* updates in the background, but if the game has an update itself that does no good.

Yeah that seems right for the PS3. I couldn't remember. PS4 did fix that though. Cause I know I have had patches to games download and installed the next time I boot the game up because it gives me a quick notification saying its done so. I'm guess its more prevalent on the PS4 and Xbone for that matter because a good chunk of the game is installed on the HDD.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Spangler on Sat May 10, 2014 10:04 pm

dodint wrote:
the wicked child wrote:Nothing like popping a game into the PS3 for the first time and being greeted by the update screen of doom that lets you know you won't be playing anything for awhile.

My biggest complaint with the new era of gaming right there. Everytime I neglect my PS3 for more than a week it needs to download the whole internet and archive it. It's a pain for the one I have in my bedroom that I only use for Netflix because if I'm watching Netflix in there I'm trying to fall asleep.

I stopped playing BF3 for exactly this reason. There have been like 3-4 dlcs since the last time I played it, and I know I'm going to have to wait at least 2 hours for downloads/installations.

By the time everything is done, my urge to play will likely be over.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby eddysnake on Sat May 10, 2014 10:09 pm

blurryhaze312 wrote:***Different Topic***
Anyone try Child of Light? I'm definitely buying it soon, just wanted to see if anyone else tried it yet.

Yeah I posted about it last week, I thought it was great and really dig the option of having a 2nd player help. My only complaint was the rhyming was a bit confusing at times to carry the story, but everything else was awesome. Beautiful game
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to NHR