Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby ajh2298 on Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:18 pm

Well hopefully all my extra blu-rays and DVDs along with all my extra games that I will never play can get me enough credit to get my son a WiiU for his birthday tomorrow. His birthday is not till Sepember but would like to pick up that Mario Kart 8 bundle now for him since that seems like the best deal.
ajh2298
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby PensFanInDC on Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:25 pm

I dont play PC games very much. The only one I do play is Civ. I have Civ V and I haven't played it in about 2 years. I had to reformat my laptop about 6 months ago so it uninstalled the game. I'm trying to install it now and apparently it uses Steam to do the install. Every time I try to install it Steam tries to update and it gets to 27% and says "Steam is currently unavailable. Please try later." It's been about 4 hours and the same thing is happening. Online searches have suggested turning off anti virus and disabling malware protection (this is from the Steam website). I did both and the same result happened.

Anyone ever encounter this before? Suggestions? Try again tomorrow? Thank ya kindly...
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:20 pm

Ugh.... that remains my overriding concern with PC gaming, and why I only do shooters and simulators off-console now. I've had my share of those types of issues.

Maybe try this?
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:55 am

tifosi77 wrote:Ugh.... that remains my overriding concern with PC gaming, and why I only do shooters and simulators off-console now. I've had my share of those types of issues.

Maybe try this?

That looks like a virus...
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Avyran on Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:05 am

This game looks utterly fascinating. Another good article on the game. Seems to be basically a multiple-world Minecraft with vastly updated graphics & a better system. They said that they'll release the game completely "undiscovered" and ask the players to map the universe as it goes.
Avyran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:45 pm

Anyone ever play the game Thief? All the sneaking around in Watch_Dogs has me interested in playing more games with that mechanic.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:20 pm

canaan wrote:
eddysnake wrote:
canaan wrote:Eddy, I run metal peach with the same kart.

Zelda look friggin awesome. Hyrule warrior on the other hand looks dumb. I'm not a dynasty warriors fan at all.

Did you ever play the new Donkey Kong game?

i did. it was fun. the difficulty arc in that game is kinda steep. it goes from being easy to expletives in the first three "worlds"

https://p.nintendo.net/deluxe/

if you got your free game with MK8, you got some points which turn into cash to use on the eshop. It keeps your record going back from when you first got your nintendo which was a nice surprise for me today.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Shyster on Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:00 pm

tifosi77 wrote:Anyone ever play the game Thief? All the sneaking around in Watch_Dogs has me interested in playing more games with that mechanic.

If you have never played any of the earlier Thief games, then you will probably like it. If you haven't played any of the earlier games, then you probably won't, since it's nowhere near as good as they were. The recent Thief game is to the first two games in the series as Bioshock 2 was to Bioshock—not necessarily a terrible game standing by itself, but nowhere near as good in terms of story, structure, etc. when compared to its predecessors.

The Steam Summer Sale started today, so if you are thinking of buying the PC version, I'm sure it will be a featured sale item in the next few days.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:06 pm

Okay, thanks for the tip.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:05 pm

Speaking of the Steam Summer Sale...

tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Shyster on Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:11 pm

:lol: I just laughed so hard my neck hurts now.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Bioshock on Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:21 pm

tifosi77 wrote:Speaking of the Steam Summer Sale...

Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:28 pm

tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby the wicked child on Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:52 pm

I actually encountered Fecklar's Ghost last night in Diablo. I might have done a double take, except that he died almost as fast as he appeared. Perhaps some day I will actually run into The Tomekeeper in the Shadow Realm and close out Haunted.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:58 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:I dont play PC games very much. The only one I do play is Civ. I have Civ V and I haven't played it in about 2 years. I had to reformat my laptop about 6 months ago so it uninstalled the game. I'm trying to install it now and apparently it uses Steam to do the install. Every time I try to install it Steam tries to update and it gets to 27% and says "Steam is currently unavailable. Please try later." It's been about 4 hours and the same thing is happening. Online searches have suggested turning off anti virus and disabling malware protection (this is from the Steam website). I did both and the same result happened.

Anyone ever encounter this before? Suggestions? Try again tomorrow? Thank ya kindly...

Update

I found this link: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5623-QOSV-5250

It suggested I try:

Set Steam Launch Options
Navigate to your Steam installation (by default this is located at C:\Program Files\Steam)
Right-click on Steam.exe (this file is listed as an application and features the black and white Steam logo) and select Create Shortcut
Right-click on the new shortcut and go to Properties
Select the Shortcut tab
In the Target: field add the launch options which you would like to use after the Steam.exe location (make sure to separate all launch options with a space - For example, " -launchoption1 -launchoption2")
Click Apply and then OK to close the Properties window

Options to Use
Here are some of the more useful launch options:
-login - Bypass the Steam login window by entering your login information
-tcp - Launches Steam with the TCP protocol rather than the UDP protocol
-clearbeta - If you have opted into a Steam client public beta, opts out and returns Steam to the current official release.
-silent - Launches Steam to the system tray only. Normal Steam windows will only appear after clicking the system tray icon. If a password is not stored, the normal login window will still be displayed.

I tried the -tcp and it didn't work. I then added the -clearbeta and so far so good. It's installing Steam so we will see....
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:06 pm

SUCCESS!!
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ajh2298 on Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:25 am

Ok new WiiU owner and I need to ask a few questions.

I purchased the 32gb MK8 bundle and want to know about how many of the free games from the Mario Kart 8 promo can I fit on the 32gb of space?(looking to purchase Zelda, Mario, and WiiU Party)

I have a bunch of Virtual Shop games on a SD card from my Wii can I still play them on the WiiU and if so how?

Are there any must have accessories to be on the look at for? Like cases, controllers, cradles, and etc.?

Thanks,
ajh2298
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby PensFanInDC on Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:59 pm

PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:40 pm

ajh2298 wrote:Ok new WiiU owner and I need to ask a few questions.

I purchased the 32gb MK8 bundle and want to know about how many of the free games from the Mario Kart 8 promo can I fit on the 32gb of space?(looking to purchase Zelda, Mario, and WiiU Party)

I have a bunch of Virtual Shop games on a SD card from my Wii can I still play them on the WiiU and if so how?

Are there any must have accessories to be on the look at for? Like cases, controllers, cradles, and etc.?

Thanks,

You can Google the download space for every game, I'd imagine you could get all 3 on. I just put pikimin 3 on and I think it was 4gb. I have a bunch of stuff downloaded from the eshop (duck tales, tank tank tank, trine 2, child of light, & probably 15 s/nes games) and I'm at around 70%. I will need to hook up an external HD sooner than later, but I prefer to have a physical copy of games if I can get it.

I haven't bought any extra accessories for mine, thought about the pro controller for some games, but mainly enjoy using the gamepad for everything.

Not sure how the transfer works, I forgot to do it.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ajh2298 on Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:44 pm

eddysnake wrote:

Thanks,

You can Google the download space for every game, I'd imagine you could get all 3 on. I just put pikimin 3 on and I think it was 4gb. I have a bunch of stuff downloaded from the eshop (duck tales, tank tank tank, trine 2, child of light, & probably 15 s/nes games) and I'm at around 70%. I will need to hook up an external HD sooner than later, but I prefer to have a physical copy of games if I can get it.

I haven't bought any extra accessories for mine, thought about the pro controller for some games, but mainly enjoy using the gamepad for everything.

So the WiiU can handle all the older games even the GameCube and N64 ones?
ajh2298
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby eddysnake on Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:48 pm

ajh2298 wrote:
eddysnake wrote:

Thanks,

So the WiiU can handle all the older games even the GameCube and N64 ones?

on the virtual console for download, I really don't know if you would be able to use old save data (I'm guessing not) but they are coming out with an adapter to use gamecube controllers
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Shyster on Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:34 pm

Upon review, I think the only game I'm really looking for in the Steam sale is Banished. It's like a SimCity for a medieval village. Dark Souls 2 and Watch_Dogs are too new to be super cheap even on sale, and thanks to prior Steam sales I already own more games than I could probably play in the next 10 years.

I have all of the necessary craft designed and built for manned missions to Eve and Duna in KSP. I finished up the last design—the Duna lander—last night. Now I'm just waiting for the windows to open for the Hohmann transfers. It's possible to do interplanetary transfers at other times, but doing so takes vastly greater delta-v.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:40 pm

Just finished Borderlands 2. This is really one of the most fun games I've played in a long, long time. I couldn't really get into Borderlands 1, but boy did I enjoy this. It was just the right degree of challenging.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Spangler on Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:40 pm

I watched the Smash Bros. invitational tournament that Nintendo held at E3. It was awesome!

Announcers were pumped, and the crowd was going nuts.

The full tournament is out their on Youtube. Here is a highlight package.

Best part of the event was the Megaman final smash!
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tifosi77 on Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:54 am

Steam Summer Sale..... all three Bioshock games for $10.19.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to NHR