Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby JeffDFD on Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:32 pm

tifosi77 wrote:
JeffDFD wrote:Anyone who played AC: Black flag - does the main story talk about the original story line and Desmond at all? I dont need spoilers, but I am just curious if it is a clean break or if they mention anything or continue anything.

He's referenced in a few cut scenes early on, but it's more or less a clean break. The way the 'modern world' stuff is integrated into ACIV is actually kind of interesting. That was always a part of the previous AC games that I never really liked or bought into, but in Black Flag they put a fun spin on it that makes it work.

So we never find out what is happening to the world thanks to Desmond?
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby slappybrown on Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:36 pm

The AC story is a bunch of mumbo jumbo, no? Its largely incomprehensible to me, beyond broadly "Abstergo=Templars."
Spoiler:
No clue/memory of what the hell that underground chamber that was the end of Desmond was about, beyond a faux sense of otherworldly spirituality of some kind.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:13 pm

Nope, the First Civilization storyline is largely a side-note in ACIV. I mean, the stuff you're looking for are their relics and whatnot, but as characters they are all but nonexistent.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby JeffDFD on Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:15 pm

AC3 ending:

Spoiler:
Desmond had a choice...free the one god (Juno?) and humanity lives or let the bad event happen...world gets messed up, but he lives and becomes a leader...eventually his words are twisted into him kind of being a god/profit. Now, I do not really remember why the one god was locked up and needed to be freed and how that corresponded with saving the world...but Desmond chose to die and free him...meaning he was left there on the ground and then....????
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby the wicked child on Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:06 am

Seems pretty fitting that my first Platinum trophy on PS3 would come in Diablo.

The Witch Doctor has grown on me. I do wish there was at least one decent skill to clean up enemies that get in close, but some fun skills regardless. Won't ever be my main character or anything, but I don't regret playing it now.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:47 am

Hitting level 60 and getting access to all of the awesome gear you've collected is sweet. My Witch Doctor just went from 36.5k ATK/1954 DEF/81.2k LIFE to 94.9k ATK/2578 DEF/89.8k LIFE with a few key gear swaps.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Spangler on Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:34 pm

I was experimenting with the different origin stories in Dragon Age, and I really wish I didn't start as a Dalish elf. I thought it was quite dull, and didn't do much for me. City elf had a better origin imo.

The game would have felt COMPLETELY different if I had started as a Dwarf Noble or Human Noble. Those origins were awesome. Going back to Orzammar has an entirely different context to it as a Dwarf Noble. It's such a bigger deal as a dwarf.

Haven't tried them all yet but so far I would rank them:

1. Dwarf Noble
2. Human Noble
3. City Elf
4. Dalish Elf
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rylan on Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:35 pm

I like the Human Noble for the end of game impact. I felt the whole politics of the end really had a more personal feel.

The dwarf noble and commoner and city elf are all pretty even. Dalish elf and human mage go together as my least favorite origins.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:25 pm

I'm stuck in Watch_Dogs. Can't beat the boss battle on the rooftop of Rossi-Fremont (against Iraq and his magic, one-shot kill, heavy machine gun-toting, armor-clad, superhuman henchman). It's annoying, and I'm not sure I want to continue.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby the wicked child on Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:34 pm

Rocksmith has done a nice job of reminding me how out of practice I really am. It's nice not having to worry about lag on the PC version, but I'm still having trouble getting used to mapping strings to the colors for some reason. I dunno why, but their note charting has never been super easy for me to pick up.

I do like the fact that it looks at your performance and figures out which techniques you need to brush up on. I don't know how much time I'll put into this thing, but hopefully it will help me get some of my chops back. Haven't played seriously for a few years now... usually just pick around for fun while watching vids on the net.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ajh2298 on Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:04 pm

If anybody still plays Titanfall the last patch for the PC and Xb1 versions has made the game a lot more fun. They tuned some of the weapons and also fixed the matchmaking.
ajh2298
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Malkamaniac on Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:49 pm

tifosi77 wrote:I'm stuck in Watch_Dogs. Can't beat the boss battle on the rooftop of Rossi-Fremont (against Iraq and his magic, one-shot kill, heavy machine gun-toting, armor-clad, superhuman henchman). It's annoying, and I'm not sure I want to continue.

Gotta make those IEDS to blow up when they're walking around. Took me a few times, but I feel that was the extent of the game, just to become absurdly challenging in spots because it had to prolong the game.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:39 am

finished ACII and moved on to brotherhood. got excited when i started with all my money and gear from ACII. only to be disappointed shortly thereafter. i do like how the guards carry more money on their person rather than the old 3-5 florins
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby malkinshair on Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:07 pm

the wicked child wrote:
malkinshair wrote:
the wicked child wrote:I've officially decided that the Monk is now my second favorite class in Diablo behind the Wizard. I'm @ level 53, halfway through Act 1/Hell. I'm using a similar scheme to the one Froggy posted, though I swapped out one of them for Seven Sided Strike, which I prefer. I think I have a slightly different button config as well.

Okay, so what am I doing wrong? I'm new to Diablo, and have been playing as a Monk on normal after briefly trying out all of the classes. I think I'm in the middle of Act 2...
Spoiler:
I'm in the sewers looking for Zoltun Kulle's blood
...but only a level 22. I have 1 legendary weapon (which I gave to a follower) and 1 piece of legendary armor. I'm not really having many problems with enemies at this point, but I feel like I'm missing a bunch. Should I be grinding more to level before moving on from an Act? I'm a bit confused.

If you are playing on easy, no grinding should really be necessary... You'll hit the max level of 60 somewhere later in Hell mode. My monk is on 59 now at the start of Act 3 in Hell. It's worth noting that I've had a helmet socketed with a Flawless Square ruby for some time, so I've been gaining an extra 19% of experience. I also used that as an excuse to skip some of the extra caves that I don't care about.

But in general, do a full clear of every area and you will always be levelled enough for easy. Now gear may start becoming an issue in Hell and Inferno, but that is somewhat random... I've usually found better gear as I've needed it through normal play.

In regards to your current quest, the blood isn't in the sewers, that is just a pathway to the area where it can be found. I'm assuming you're in the Aqueducts? Beyond that you'll eventually reach the Desolate Sands. That and the areas beyond have generally been really good to me gear wise.

If you feel the need to level at all, the Keep Depths level 2 in Act 3 are bar none the best for that.

Thanks so much for the help. Made it through normal, and I'm about halfway thru Act 1 of Nightmare. My monk is a Level 35 now, and pretty nasty at this point. I've been rewarded with some good legendary weapons that have added a ton of thump without hurting my attack speed. One chains lightning 35% of the time...which is awesome coupled with the Way of the Hundred Fists. I've also been investing in crafting, so all of my armor is giving me big-time dexterity boosts. I'm up around 1000 DEX now, and am using the passive effect that boost my armor based on my DEX. That, coupled with using the Healing Mantra and Inner Sanctuary, is making me tough to kill...for the moment. I was worried that playing back thru the game would be stale, but it's nice playing without having to pay attention to the story. It's also cool to know what's coming, but also know that it's going to be tougher in some way.

On a side note, I finally figured out the dyes and wings, so my monk (female) is running around decked out in red and green with both the angelic and crimson wings on. She looks like a Christmas fairy.....one that's takin' names. :roll:
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:05 pm

Game Critics Awards Best of E3 2014
No surprise, big winners were Evolve and No Man's Sky.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby the wicked child on Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:10 pm

malkinshair wrote:Thanks so much for the help. Made it through normal, and I'm about halfway thru Act 1 of Nightmare. My monk is a Level 35 now, and pretty nasty at this point. I've been rewarded with some good legendary weapons that have added a ton of thump without hurting my attack speed. One chains lightning 35% of the time...which is awesome coupled with the Way of the Hundred Fists. I've also been investing in crafting, so all of my armor is giving me big-time dexterity boosts. I'm up around 1000 DEX now, and am using the passive effect that boost my armor based on my DEX. That, coupled with using the Healing Mantra and Inner Sanctuary, is making me tough to kill...for the moment. I was worried that playing back thru the game would be stale, but it's nice playing without having to pay attention to the story. It's also cool to know what's coming, but also know that it's going to be tougher in some way.

On a side note, I finally figured out the dyes and wings, so my monk (female) is running around decked out in red and green with both the angelic and crimson wings on. She looks like a Christmas fairy.....one that's takin' names. :roll:

:thumb:

Up until the point that you hit Level 60, there are always new skill/rune combos to try out which makes it interesting... plus as your gear gets better, you become more of a monster and it just kind of feeds on itself at that point. Beyond that, any time you put in benefits all of your characters in some way, once you start earning the paragon levels.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:17 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:I'm stuck in Watch_Dogs. Can't beat the boss battle on the rooftop of Rossi-Fremont (against Iraq and his magic, one-shot kill, heavy machine gun-toting, armor-clad, superhuman henchman). It's annoying, and I'm not sure I want to continue.

Gotta make those IEDS to blow up when they're walking around. Took me a few times, but I feel that was the extent of the game, just to become absurdly challenging in spots because it had to prolong the game.

Finally got past this, only to arrive at one of the most ridiculous plot 'twists' I've ever encountered in a game.

Spoiler:
Brenks wants Aiden to get information that only he can obtain.

Brenks kidnaps Aiden's sister to provide encouragement.

Aiden suddenly realizes that if he doesn't give Brenks the information, Blume will kill Brenks. So he says "Go ahead and kill my sister".

Brenks says "Screw you" and then proceeds to reveal to the entire city that Aiden - the one man from whom he can possibly obtain this life-insuring information - is in fact The Vigilante and - oh look! - he's standing right here! Come and get him, coppers!

That is utterly stupid.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:29 pm

Still haven't played a game since like March or April. Sad.

I want to start Skyward Sword. May do that this weekend.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:32 pm

This guy is traveling across an entire Minecraft world via minecart. It's going to take 17 days or so. That's real time, not Minecraft world time. Check it out here:

http://www.twitch.tv/jl2579
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby the wicked child on Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:37 pm

I think Diablo was straight up trolling me today. Had 6 legendary helmets drop in one session, 3 within 5 minutes of each other. 4 of them were Spirit Stones. None were useful, unfortunately so they were all promptly salvaged.

Would be nice if it could be so generous with the set items I want...
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:52 am

So I finished the single player campaign in Watch_Dogs yesterday. Took this disc out of the PS3, drove to GameStop and rid myself of the thing. Gameplay was fun, if repetitive. But the story just became so annoyingly stupid at about the 3/4 mark.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Spangler on Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:47 pm

I found this excellent documentary on competitive Super Smash Bros. I highly recommend it. I had no idea the combat system in Melee was so deep. Kinda makes me want to find a copy of melee since I've never owned it.

Warning, foul language.

Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby stopper40 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:09 pm

the wicked child wrote:I think Diablo was straight up trolling me today. Had 6 legendary helmets drop in one session, 3 within 5 minutes of each other. 4 of them were Spirit Stones. None were useful, unfortunately so they were all promptly salvaged.

Would be nice if it could be so generous with the set items I want...

Couldn't tell you the last time I got a legendary item I could use
stopper40
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby the wicked child on Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:02 pm

stopper40 wrote:Couldn't tell you the last time I got a legendary item I could use

Complain and ye shall receive? Found a few set items and upgrades today... though not the amulet or source from Tal Rasha's that I really want for my Wizard.

Also randomly got the 10th possibility for the Ancient Device today and thus got the achievement. Was a regular chest... could have sworn that I got that at least once before, but whatever. Now if I could randomly encounter Tomekreper, a rare Enraged Phantom and a champion Deathly Haunt, I could stop worrying about silly achievements again.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Dickie Dunn on Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:40 pm

Not a video game currently being played, but one I will be playing in the future; pre-ordering Alien Isolation gets you bonus missions with the original Nostromo crew.

Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to NHR