Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:53 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote:Not a video game currently being played, but one I will be playing in the future; pre-ordering Alien Isolation gets you bonus missions with the original Nostromo crew.

Honestly not sure how I feel about this.

Generally, I'm not a fan of the pre-order craze. I don't like buying something sight unseen just for glorified DLC, or a fancy gun.

On the other hand, this is pretty great content. The story takes place aboard Nostromo in the immediate aftermath of the chestburster moment from the film where Kane was killed, and it presents a sort of alternate universe version of the story of the. The xeno's behavior is completely randomized, so every time you play the game (this bonus mission and the main game) will be different. Maybe Lambert will be the sole survivor? Maybe Yaphet Kotto will finally get his wish and Parker will kill the alien, like he told Ridley Scott was going to happen the day they shot that scene.

All of the original actors are back (save Ian Holm and, presumably, John Hurt) to voice their characters, so this is kind of a big deal.

Eh, who am I kidding? I pre-ordered this thing like two months ago, anyway. :lol:
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pittsoccer33 on Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:41 pm

As a kid I played Megaman 2 and 3 a decent bit, both with Game Genie codes. Now I'm trying to beat them on my own and I got through 2 pretty easily this week.

Megaman 3 is a different story. I've been trying different level orders I found online and nothing helps - I'm mostly dead part way thru the first level I choose. Is this game just really hard?
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby the wicked child on Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:50 pm

It's been awhile since I've played MM3, but iirc, it doesn't exactly have a complete order for the bosses that the games usually do. I think there are effectively 2 groupings iirc... Something like:

Shadow
Spark
Magnet
Hard

Snake
Gemini
Needle

Typically use the arm cannon on both Top Man and Snake Man. Iirc, Top Man is typically the easiest to get to/beat in that manner, but really just need to kill one in each group to have the appropriate weapon to continue the chain.

Absolutely LOVE the music on both Shadow Man and Spark Man's stages... enough to learn to play em both on guitar.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:51 pm

Mega Man 3 is the point where they start getting hard.

The best music in the series is the Air Man stage in MM2, imo.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:55 pm

Froggy wrote:Mega Man 3 is the point where they start getting hard.

MM2 is probably the easiest (by far, really).

I certainly wouldn't call the first one easy though... no energy tanks, for starters... the platforms on Guts Man stage are **** evil. And the second half of ice Man's stage is pretty damn brutal too... randomly moving platforms with crap firing at you while you wait for the next platform to finally move close enough to jump to.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:58 pm

I never had much trouble with part 1. The only thing that gave me trouble was the Yellow Devils.

That Dragon in the Dr. Wily stage in 2 is probably worse.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:59 pm

Froggy wrote:The best music in the series is the Air Man stage in MM2, imo.

MM2 probably has the best music overall. I like Flash Man and Bubble Man better than Air Man. And Dr Wily Stage 1... that may be the best of all of em.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:05 pm

I've managed to curb my D3 time significantly as of late, though not completely. Spent a bit of time running the Shadow Realm and Oasis and managed to finally find The Tomekeeper and a Deathly Haunt champion. I nearly fell over when I saw "The Tomekeeper" appear when started firing on him. After all the times I've run that damn shadow realm, this **** just casually flew in out of nowhere, and died shortly thereafter.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:10 pm

I'm on my phone, and I don't feel like embedding, but this is pretty awesome

http://youtu.be/MUHlVdqRlPA
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:12 pm

dr wily is some of the best video game music. I really like the title theme to mm3. but ive kind of given up on it for tonight. I just played thru a few levels of tmnt2 the arcade game. ive probably spent more time playing that than any other game in my life.

the megaman "engine" if that's what youd call it was just great. bionic commando, mm, ducktales - you could do different concepts with it. its like the konami beat em up arcade engine - tmnt, the simpsons, xmen. it just worked well and you could plug different ideas into it and the game mechanics held up. it wasn't like an awful ljn license.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby skullman80 on Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:15 pm

My username came from a Mega Man game... /CSB.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:55 am

Megaman 3 is the best Megaman and Clash man's music is easily the best music.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:29 am

In regards to the original series, 2 is probably my favorite, with 3 close behind. Of the titles after that, 5 is my favorite. It started to get a bit hokey by 6, 7 was ok. 8 was an abomination, probably my least favorite "true" Mega Man game. Anyone who has played it is likely still scarred by "Jump Jump Slide Slide". Even beyond that, the game wasn't very good. The first stage of Wily's castle was just pure evil... nearly to the level of Act 6 of Ninja Gaiden, without any of the elation after finally beating it.

I loved the idea of 9, but it was just wayyyyy too damn hard. Never bothered with 10 after that. I know that they had an easy mode, but it looked way TOO easy from what I saw... don't need a baby mode, just one where you can actually get through a stage without memorizing every single movement.

Mega Man X is definitely up there on my list. Adding in the zelda-like hunt for extra items/heart containers was a brilliant move on their part. Great music, tons of fun... definitely one of the best entries in the series. MMX2-4 were also pretty good, albeit somewhat on the difficult side, particularly 3 as I recall. 5 and 6 weren't good, only played them once each on the MMX collection for GC. Never played 7 or 8 as they were PS games, which I didn't have.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:02 am

I wasnt aware of any MM games after 3 for NES until just recently.

I played a bit more last night. I found that I really needed to slow down what I was doing. Running towards everything was a good way to get hit. Taking it a bit slower made it much more do-able.

As a kid we used the Game Genie for higher jump, longer slide, I think infinite lives, and we did the trick where player 2 holds down one of the buttons to allow you to jump down holes.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby skullman80 on Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:15 am

I have very fond memories as a kid playing Mega Man games with my friends till the wee hours of the morning. Renting them from giant eagle and not wanting to return them back(oh the late fees I must have racked up as a kid). I remember playing up to like 6 or so on NES. I remember the first two Mega Man X games being good too.

I highly doubt though I would have the reflexes to play those games now and finish them again. I remember downloading Mega Man 9 on the 360/PS3 and it being "im gonna throw my controller against the wall" hard, but 10 year old me probably could have got through it with little to no trouble. 31 year old me.. not so much.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:40 am

For Megaman, 2 was my favorite for the original with 3 a close second. A few years ago I sat down on a rainy day before I had kids and beat all 6 MegaMan's on the original NES in one sitting. Was a lot of fun. I'm glad I picked those games up before the video bubble blew up. I got all 6 for like a total of $60. Now, just MegaMan 5 itself is going for $85.

I only have/got to play MegaMan X, but never the other ones. I really enjoyed the original.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby the wicked child on Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:48 am

I don't know what it will cost you, but you should look into picking up the Mega Man X collection for GC. It has the first 6 mmx games. Assuming it isn't priced outrageously, it is worth it.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:50 am

the wicked child wrote:I don't know what it will cost you, but you should look into picking up the Mega Man X collection for GC. It has the first 6 mmx games. Assuming it isn't priced outrageously, it is worth it.

I didn't know that existed. I'll have to check into it.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby the wicked child on Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:02 pm

They have one for the original series as well, 1-8. Not as worth it unless you really want 7 and 8, but I would never play 8 again unless I was paid to do so.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby stopper40 on Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:22 pm

Looking to start playing a new game (for me anyway). What do people recommend The Witcher or Assassin's Creed? Been playing Diablo 3, Skyrim was alright, loved Dragon Age: Origins and can't wait for Dragon Age: Inquisition later this year.
stopper40
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Crankshaft on Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:31 pm

Assassin's Creed.

If your'e going to play all of the games, don't get turned off by the AC1 and forge on to AC2.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Shyster on Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:53 pm

The next version of Kerbal Space Program is close to being released. It adds contacts to the game that ask you to complete specific tasks. By completing those tasks, you get money and reputation. You need the money to buy parts for the next mission, and if your reputation goes to low (for example, by killing too many of your kerbalnauts), it's game over. Interestingly, you get money back if you manage to land and recover parts of your rockets, so the game is going to be strongly encouraging a reusable rocket program, for example, putting parachutes onto solid boosters rather than just letting them fall into the ocean, and building rockets that can land again like SpaceX's Falcon 9-R.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:56 pm

I had about $20 in my microsoft account so I bought Fable II. That was my favorite of the trilogy and I can't wait to play it again. It's been about 5 years or so since I've played it.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:18 pm

Crankshaft wrote:Assassin's Creed.

If your'e going to play all of the games, don't get turned off by the AC1 and forge on to AC2.

I'd recommend playing it. I mean, it wouldn't have become a series if the first game was truly weak. Yes, the missions are repetitive. But I enjoyed the story and setting immensely.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PensFanInDC on Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:59 pm

Who collects NES games? The local Goodwill has a few titles I'm willing to grab if you need it.

MLB Baseball
Super Mario Bros
Gauntlet
Monopoly
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR