Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby viva la ben on Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:58 am

Tiny Wings for ios released a new island with tunnels yesterday...gotta brush up on it as they are tough!
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pittsoccer33 on Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:06 am

with winter setting in, and the recent new media centric annoucements, I think I might jump on board with Xbox One.

$400 for no Kinect of $480 w/ Kinect?
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:26 am

viva la ben wrote:Tiny Wings for ios released a new island with tunnels yesterday...gotta brush up on it as they are tough!

Forgotten app that I haven't played in ages, thanks
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shyster on Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:22 pm

Sigwolf wrote:I'm definitely picky and anal-retentive enough to want to play it, but the down-side is that I am so picky and anal-retentive that things like the quibbles you had would drive me nuts. :wink: It's on my Steam wish list, though, and I'm sure I'll pick it up eventually.

Most of them are minor, and the outsized productivity of gatherers is useful when your people are close to starving. Nothing is worse than hearing the altert tone go badong badong badong as people die en masse. Gatherers working a circle of mature forest produce more food on a per-worker basis that any other food source—farmers, fishermen, you name it. That just doesn't seem realistic to me. The one with foresters can be dealt with by planting your orchards outside their working radius. Orchards aren't the most productive food source anyway, but fruit can be converted into booze, and a supply of booze makes the villagers happier. That part is realistic. :D
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby the wicked child on Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:51 am

Got a Hellfire Ring in Diablo. Pretty good roll, has +ATK speed on it. Gave it to my Barbarian for now, but it will be transitioning to a Crusader once the expansion hits. Still have some infernal machines left so may go for an INT ring. Just need the organ from the Kulle/Siegebreaker fight.

I had a much smoother time with the ubers this time around, well, comparatively speaking, anyway. I bumped up to Master 2 recently so I gave that a shot. I reconfigured my skills a bit just for these fights as I typically roll mostly offense otherwise and defense seems more important here. Swapped out the ruby in my helm for an amethyst to increase life, switched from Spectral Blade to Electrocute, Frost Nova to Diamond Skin and Storm Armor to Energy Armor. I also swapped out the passive skill that doubles armor length for the one that revives you w/ 45% of your life if you die.

I had some close calls of course, especially against Kulle/Siegebreaker, but I somehow managed to make it through w/o dying. I was saved by the passive skill a few times though.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:13 pm

FIFA 14 players: I want to do a single-player season and play against the PS3 AI. For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to do this. All of the options I see are for online, or co-op. Does the game not support that type of play, or am I just an idiot? (Or both?)
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby the wicked child on Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:22 pm

Got the INT Hellfire ring earlier. As I suspected, it was not good enough for my Wizard or Witch Doctor to use. Out of curiosity to those who've played the PC version, can you reroll stats on Legendary Items at the Mystic? If so, this could still be good... but I would want to try to get some +VIT/Life and +ATK speed if possible in place of a couple weak attributes it rolled. Got a nice +INT at least.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:02 pm

Are there any must play games for xbone yet?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby GSdrums87 on Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:04 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Are there any must play games for xbone yet?

Nope. Don't play anything on it. Waiting for NHL 15 and Destiny.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kraftster on Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:34 am

tifosi77 wrote:FIFA 14 players: I want to do a single-player season and play against the PS3 AI. For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to do this. All of the options I see are for online, or co-op. Does the game not support that type of play, or am I just an idiot? (Or both?)

Pretty sure there's no such thing as an off-line single season mode. You're looking at MM or something online, yeah. It's been a little while since I've played, though.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Spangler on Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:52 pm

Metal Gear fans were making a Metal Gear remake that had a lot of firepower behind it. David Hayder was doing the voice of Snake, in addition to industry professionals working on various aspects of the game. Unfortunately, Konami shut the project down after they previously gave them the green light.

Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby dodint on Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:07 pm

So what you're saying is Konami hates large piles of money? Bummer.
dodint
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:18 pm

*ahem*

I am speaking solely in my capacity as a Konami employee for the past five years, not as a representative of the company.

This story is BS. It was never officially approved or greenlit, and I'm not certain Hideo Kojima was even aware of the project. The guy even openly states that his only 'approval' was a verbal communication. What that means is that we were made aware of the project, took a meeting or two with the mod team, expressed interest in moving forward, pending the okay from KDE-J. That's it. Good sirs and madams, that is NOT an approval.

I can also say that approval for something "as long it wasn't for profit" is wishy-washy; been here five years, we've never issued that kind of approval. Frankly, it sounds fabricated.

As far as infighting among different divisions of Konami is concerned....... non-factor. The only entity that needs to agree on anything MG related is Kojima Productions. If Hideo-san wants it done, it gets done.

Should also mention that the Kotaku article that was published today references one Konami person by name, says he's the guy that gave the verbal approval. He's a PR guy from Konami-Europe..... in other words NOT the person from whom approvals for a project of this nature would be coming.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Spangler on Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:59 pm

Interesting stuff Tifosi, I forgot you work for Konami. I feel better about the cancellation even though I still think it's bad PR to cancel a non-profit fan project.

Do you think the remake could have conflicted with Konami's future plans with the franchise? Or is this strictly Konami protecting their brand?
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:01 pm

Not that I know of. Titanfall maybe? I've heard that gets incredibly boring after a few days though.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:45 pm

Spangler wrote:Interesting stuff Tifosi, I forgot you work for Konami. I feel better about the cancellation even though I still think it's bad PR to cancel a non-profit fan project.

Do you think the remake could have conflicted with Konami's future plans with the franchise? Or is this strictly Konami protecting their brand?

We aren't super aggressive in IP protection (to my consternation; that's a professional forte if mine, and I think I'm underused -- different convo), altho we do take steps here and there. That said, Metal Gear is the golden goose for the company, so we do tend to take a much more critical stance with anything related to that title.

Ultimately, a lot of factors go into the decision to allow or deny a project of this nature. For example, we walked away from a live-action Metal Gear feature film deal with Sony about five years ago. They wanted exclusive control of all marketing, and would not allow us to release games within six months of the movie's release date (which is absurd), AND they wanted the rights to make the video game based on the movie (which is somehow even more absurd).

Consider also the case of the company in Burbank that finagled a perpetual (as in forever) license to exploit the animation rights to Castlevania; their corporate entity has been suspended, so technically the license does not exist anymore.... but I was told - in very clear terms - that I was not permitted to take affirmative steps to nullify the contract in court which would clear chain of title to perhaps license those rights out to someone else for considerably more money.

We also have a persistent thorn in our card business' side: the site Dueling Network infringes on our IP and the licensed Yu-Gi-Oh! IP on a daily basis in a for-profit enterprise....... which I have been expressly forbidden from shutting down. We even get customer service complaints from duelists who think Dueling Network is somehow affiliated with the company.

Then you have the case of the MG fan film "Sons of B|tches".................... I'm going to spoiler this, just because it's wordy.

Spoiler:
Couple years ago, I was working at E3. Had my red Konami polo shirt and everything. Back when we actually had games, E3 was an all-hands kind of thing. Last three years, it's been staffed by about 25 people. Anyway, I'm standing there, and this worker drone comes up with this guy with a DVD and a business card. Drone says he was passing out DVDs in the MG section of the booth. Guy asks me if I could get this to someone in marketing or the brand team. He says it's a fan film..... and here's my shoebox full of copies of the thing. I say, "Hey, why don't you just leave the whole box with me? I know the brand manager, I'll make sure he gets them." So he leaves me with like 25 DVDs and a stack of business cards. I'm shaking my head, because I am literally the one person in the Los Angeles Convention Center capable of having the guy arrested. (If I so desired.... I chose not to wield my power on this occasion) So we get back to the office the next day and fire up the movie. O. M. G. It was teh suck. I mean, it was a special kind of awful. And it had real actors in it, like people with IMDB pages. Then we realized half the DVDs were subtitled in Japanese. Oh, and the movie is 50-odd minutes long. I'm sure it's on YouTube, have at it.

We've never shut that guy down, because ultimately we do recognize that this is harmless. But a re-boot/retooling of the original Metal Gear game..... that's choppy waters. You aren't going to muck about with that one, no matter the intent of the fan devs at the heart of the project. Frankly, I'm not super confident that it would have been OK'd going through normal channels, never mind trying to say the Europe PR guy 'approved' the thing.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:44 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:

Not that I know of. Titanfall maybe? I've heard that gets incredibly boring after a few days though.

I never had any interest in that, so ill take this as a hard no.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Spangler on Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:32 am

Good move on the the Metal Gear movie deal. That sounds beyond absurd. If the movie reveals red flags like that, it's best it not be made.

In an unrelated note... why hasn't Suikoden 2 been released on PSN yet? I've been dying to play that game, but it costs like $200 for an original copy.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:17 pm

Can't give any insight to Suikoden. Just know that there are no plans in the works relating to that IP, and we don't even have a brand manager for that title in the U.S. anymore.

In other news....

We don't know why PS4 is selling - Yoshida
Sony exec thrilled with system's early success, but nervous because he doesn't fully understand it

The good news for Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida is that the PlayStation 4 sold through 10 million systems in nine months, far exceeding expectations. The bad news, as he told Eurogamer, is that he can't figure out exactly why the system has done so well.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Spangler on Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:27 pm

Well the XBox One controversy made a lot of XBox users jump ship, even with the attempt to repair the damage by Microsoft. I think people already made up their mind when it all went down. Microsoft may have won back some fans, but those PS4 preorders were already placed.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby canaan on Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:59 pm

Spangler wrote:Good move on the the Metal Gear movie deal. That sounds beyond absurd. If the movie reveals red flags like that, it's best it not be made.

In an unrelated note... why hasn't Suikoden 2 been released on PSN yet? I've been dying to play that game, but it costs like $200 for an original copy.

i have a copy of it. :thumb: the original is my favorite RPG of all time (of all time)
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:00 pm

tifosi77 wrote:Can't give any insight to Suikoden. Just know that there are no plans in the works relating to that IP, and we don't even have a brand manager for that title in the U.S. anymore.

there needs to be one.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby the wicked child on Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:11 pm

Diablo 3 console expansion day. This is getting me through the day.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:47 pm

I pre ordered it thru Amazon. I hope it comes today. I'm itching to try out the crusader class

edit: apparently, it hasn't even been shipped yet, so scratch that. I seem to remember amazon getting pre-orders delivered the day they came out in the past. crud.
Last edited by Froggy on Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:48 pm

Hah. x-bone.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to NHR