Your irrational pet peeves

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:44 pm

blackjack68 wrote:Most of which are "borrowed" by him (or his people) anyway.

No offense to you (really) but people who say this. There is very little of anything original anymore let alone when it comes to memes. Memes are meant to be shared. Why do people insist on pointing out that a person "stole that from [insert website here]"? It's a meme. Of course it was seen and shared from some other website or person.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby blackjack68 on Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:50 pm

No offense taken, but usually when I share I try to either credit the original or just use the "share" button which shows where I got it from.

People run around and say "Oh, George Takei said this or that" as if he said it.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:52 pm

Actually, the latest meme craze that is driving me nuts is this BitStrips thing. Up until 48 hours ago, I had never even heard of it. There have been approximately 30 BitStrips posts on my wall since yesterday morning. Can someone explain for this gentleman what exactly BitStrips is (or are?).
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby blackjack68 on Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:54 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:Actually, the latest meme craze that is driving me nuts is this BitStrips thing. Up until 48 hours ago, I had never even heard of it. There have been approximately 30 BitStrips posts on my wall since yesterday morning. Can someone explain for this gentleman what exactly BitStrips is (or are?).

You create your own avatar/character and you develop a one panel "comic" for it.

Awful in the hands of 99.999999999999% of people and 100% of the people posting on FB.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:17 pm

blackjack68 wrote:No offense taken, but usually when I share I try to either credit the original or just use the "share" button which shows where I got it from.

People run around and say "Oh, George Takei said this or that" as if he said it.

I haven't seen anyone say "George Takei said this...". What I have heard is "Did you see that post on the George Takei page?" Whenever I see a meme, no matter where it is, I assume it's not the original source.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:49 pm

Typical George Takei Tweet I just saw.

@GeorgeTakei 3m
This place is a real hole in the wall.

With this image tagged:

Spoiler:

HAHA GEORGE THAT'S EFFING BRILLIANT. The "challenge accepted" meme isn't even used correctly here.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:49 pm

It was a drive thru pharmacy so he tried to drive thru the building. Get it?
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:13 am

does anyone here actually know what the acutal exit numbers are on the parkway? nothing kills kenny the kangaroo more than when some out of towner, or some jag that doesnt no any better looks at their stupid gps and says "its exit 60 on west 376" instead of saying "oh, its the campbells run road exit." Legit yinzers know the parkway exists by roads, not by numbers.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Troy Loney on Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:16 am

Guess some of these folks probably rename exits based on some sports player. Exit 60 is probably the Dermonti Dawson exit or some former Steeler's interior lineman.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:22 am

pretty sure dirt dawsons number was 63 :pop:
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jim on Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:23 am

I know that the Pittsburgh exit form the turnpike is 57... but that is the only number that I know.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:29 am

Re: the Turnpike, I'm pretty sure I have every interchange/exit number memorized between Monroeville and the NJ line
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:34 am

I only know the exits by feel, which is probably the worst way to use the mapping system. feels like this is the right exit because we passed that one farm where the PA state renaissance festival is... I should invest in some type of gps thing.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:37 am

eddysnake wrote:I only know the exits by feel, which is probably the worst way to use the mapping system. feels like this is the right exit because we passed that one farm where the PA state renaissance festival is... I should invest in some type of gps thing.

dont do it. the world needs more people who drive by feel and less people who rely on gps. you are the resistance.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby viva la ben on Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:39 am

Why buy a GPS if you have a smartphone?
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby eddysnake on Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:44 am

viva la ben wrote:Why buy a GPS if you have a smartphone?

used to use my phone when I had unlimited data, but no more. It actually was quite nice for intercity traveling (which I still will use if I'm in a jam).
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jim on Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:48 am

I have Waze on my phone. It is nice for cops... but it has to be the dumbest GPS for actual directions. More than once it has had me go through neighborhoods and even things like apartment complex lots and such. It would much rather have you go left/right/left/right/left/right through a neighborhood than go straight 3 more blocks and make 1 left.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:04 am

Jim wrote:

I have Waze on my phone. It is nice for cops... but it has to be the dumbest GPS for actual directions. More than once it has had me go through neighborhoods and even things like apartment complex lots and such. It would much rather have you go left/right/left/right/left/right through a neighborhood than go straight 3 more blocks and make 1 left.

Waze is an AWESOME application. But as you point out it's certainly NOT a GPS application.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby PensFanInDC on Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:06 am

Jim wrote:

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Jim wrote:

Waze is an AWESOME application. But as you point out it's certainly NOT a GPS application.

So then what is it used for? People post speed trap locations?
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PghSkins on Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:19 am

When you walk into the men's room and somebody is sitting in the stall, just chatting away on the phone.

Dude, finish what you're doing. The call can wait.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:58 am

PghSkins wrote:When you walk into the men's room and somebody is sitting in the stall, just chatting away on the phone.

Dude, finish what you're doing. The call can wait.

Maybe he was on the call, couldn't get the other party to stop talking and really really really had to go. :)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:00 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:
Jim wrote:

So then what is it used for? People post speed trap locations?

So it's very good for that, but it's also great at finding traffic jams, accidents, lists gasoline prices, pretty much any trip information you'd want. But as previously pointed out, it's not a good choice for GPS.
Last edited by ExPatriatePen on Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:20 pm

Waze will get you to where you want to go, as a GPS direction app.... you just might be taking a scenic route.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby slappybrown on Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:03 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:
blackjack68 wrote:Most of which are "borrowed" by him (or his people) anyway.

No offense to you (really) but people who say this. There is very little of anything original anymore let alone when it comes to memes. Memes are meant to be shared. Why do people insist on pointing out that a person "stole that from [insert website here]"? It's a meme. Of course it was seen and shared from some other website or person.

Do you go on reddit dot com

my friend told me they have memes
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PghSkins on Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:41 am

Mushy apples

If I want something mushy that tastes like apple I will eat applesauce.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR