GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby columbia on Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:16 pm

New Belgium Abbey is a pretty good dubbel for the price.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,889
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:13 pm
Location: دعنا نذهب طيور البطريق

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby eddysnake on Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:07 am

got a sixer of Cigar City Jai Alai IPA. man is this stuff good. Been thinking about some good IPAs, pretty sure these are my 5 favorite:

Fatheads Headhunter
Victory Dirtwolf
Bells Hopslam
Cigar City Jai Alai
lagunitas
Founders Double Trouble

I guess that's 6, but I can't take 1 off the list...

What do you enjoy?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,103
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:23 pm
Location: tool shed

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby count2infinity on Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:17 am

noticeably missing from that list:

The Alchemist's Heady Topper
Russian River Brewing Co. Pliny the Elder, Pliny the Younger, and Blind Pig IPA
Ballast Point Sculpin
Oskar Blue's Deviant Dale's Pale ale
Stone IPA


One of the great things about the explosion of hop heads is that there are just so many good IPAs out there.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 25,050
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:03 pm
Location: Good night, sweet prince...

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:17 am

The distributor near me had a case of Sculpin for $55, was sorely tempted to get it. Instead, I went with the Founders variety pack for $15 cheaper. Dirty Bastard, Porter (one of my favorite porters), Centennial IPA, and their dry-hopped, session IPA.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 60,559
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby shmenguin on Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:20 am

i used to be a fan of narwhal, but after taking a break from it and drinking heavy doses of ten fiddy and founders imperial stout instead, i think it's pretty much swill in comparison.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 25,067
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:34 pm

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby slappybrown on Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:56 am

eddysnake wrote:got a sixer of Cigar City Jai Alai IPA. man is this stuff good. Been thinking about some good IPAs, pretty sure these are my 5 favorite:

Fatheads Headhunter
Victory Dirtwolf
Bells Hopslam
Cigar City Jai Alai
lagunitas
Founders Double Trouble

I guess that's 6, but I can't take 1 off the list...

What do you enjoy?

Lagunitas Sucks is even better than their standard issue IPA, and is 7.85 ABV.

Two-Hearted I like better than most IPAs as well. The Sculpin I tried recently, but I like Two-Hearted, Hopslam, and either of the Lagunitas more.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,279
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:08 am
Location: its like bologna with olives in it

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby eddysnake on Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:07 am

I forgot about Sculpin (although I've only had it once-same as deviant dale). I'll have to try Lagunitas Sucks. Never had Heady topper or pliny yet. Stone IPA is solid. I suppose my list was more of my favorites that are on regular rotation. I'll need to work on those others. Two-Hearted should have been on my top 5 as well, might bump Lagunitas out for that.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,103
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:23 pm
Location: tool shed

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby OutofFoil on Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:52 am

Check out Great Lakes Chillwave. Freakin good DIPA 9.4%, but ya don't really know until the third one. Smooth with lots o' hops.
OutofFoil
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 810
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:02 pm
Location: Depends. I might be here, but I could be there. Hard to tell sometimes.

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby malkinshair on Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:03 pm

Welp...it has turned into a hoppy night.
Wife and I went to hal's for dinner. Had a dirtwolf with my meal, and brought home a GL Chillwave, Elysian Immortal IPa, ST 2xone, and DFH Aprihop. Goodness.
The Chillwave is incredibly smooth for a 9.4. Very comparable to the dirtwolf.
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,243
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:27 pm
Location: about 455 yards away...with a 2 iron, I think.

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby Loaf31 on Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:36 am

Eismann wrote:Graaaahler of Helltown Mischievous Brown. Pretty good.


Definitely my favorite Brown Ale
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,662
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:25 pm
Location: Fredericktown, PA

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby eddysnake on Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:10 am

malkinshair wrote:The Chillwave is incredibly smooth for a 9.4. Very comparable to the dirtwolf.


Is this the same as the alchemy hour from last year, just a different name (copyright issue with the previous name I think)

Did you try the 2xone?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,103
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:23 pm
Location: tool shed

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby Kraftster on Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:05 am

I had some business up in Armstrong County this week, so I stopped at Ho1kB. They have Oxbow Farmhouse on tap, which is an incredible get for New Ken, Pennsylvania! Anyone interested in saisons should definitely check this one out. I think it is about perfect for a straightforward everyday saison. This and the Little Saison from Pfriem are similar and two of the best in that category.

I also grabbed a Logsdon Farmhouse Kili Wit and Upright #6 (rye saison) for an incredible $9.95 each.

I tried the Dogfish Head 61 minute IPA last night. I have to say that I thought it was a total mess. First drain pour for me in a long time.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,602
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:25 am
Location: Frolik

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby largegarlic on Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:37 am

I was in Vermont a couple weekends ago and had some new stuff (for me) up there...

I had Heady Topper for the first time. The friend I was staying with said there is an eight-can limit on them, since they sell out so quickly whenever they show up. It was really good. I'm not super into hops, but it was one of those hoppy beers that was able to maintain a strong, fruity, hoppy taste and not be overpowering or too bitter.

I also had a whole new style of beer for me--goze (I had one from Lost Nation, specifically). The description on the menu was a wheat beer with salt and coriander and that's about exactly what it tasted liked--a crisp wheat beer that had some salt sprinkled into it and a little extra spiciness. I enjoyed it, but don't really think it's a session beer.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,925
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:56 pm

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby shmenguin on Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:40 am

Kraftster wrote:I had some business up in Armstrong County this week, so I stopped at Ho1kB. They have Oxbow Farmhouse on tap, which is an incredible get for New Ken, Pennsylvania! Anyone interested in saisons should definitely check this one out. I think it is about perfect for a straightforward everyday saison. This and the Little Saison from Pfriem are similar and two of the best in that category.

I also grabbed a Logsdon Farmhouse Kili Wit and Upright #6 (rye saison) for an incredible $9.95 each.

I tried the Dogfish Head 61 minute IPA last night. I have to say that I thought it was a total mess. First drain pour for me in a long time.


61 minute is barely beer. if you approach it with that attitude, i think it's drinkable
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 25,067
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:34 pm

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby largegarlic on Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:43 am

Also, I saw that Ho1KB is having a tasting exclusively devoted to sour and wild ales on April 26th. The price is a little steep ($50), but I think going to something like that where you know the stuff will be top of the line and tough to find at normal places is more appealing than going to these massive beer festivals where there are lots of mediocre breweries.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,925
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:56 pm

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:46 am

largegarlic wrote:I had Heady Topper for the first time. The friend I was staying with said there is an eight-can limit on them, since they sell out so quickly whenever they show up. It was really good. I'm not super into hops, but it was one of those hoppy beers that was able to maintain a strong, fruity, hoppy taste and not be overpowering or too bitter.


This gentleman had heady topper a few months ago and enjoyed it. But in a way it was sad because everyone likes it so much that kenny the kangaroo is not a beer snob and does not appreciate the hops as much as a lot of people do.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,247
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:15 pm
Location: Under the Skycoaster

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby BigMcK on Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:12 am

Just enjoyed Sierra Nevada's Bigfoot Ale Barleywine Style Ale 2014 edition. A 9.6% heavyweight, flavorful offering. To me, it is similar to DFH 120 minute in flavor and feel. The alcohol isn't what stopped me from having only 2, the heavy nature did.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,502
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:23 pm
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby Kraftster on Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:00 am

shmenguin wrote:
Kraftster wrote:I had some business up in Armstrong County this week, so I stopped at Ho1kB. They have Oxbow Farmhouse on tap, which is an incredible get for New Ken, Pennsylvania! Anyone interested in saisons should definitely check this one out. I think it is about perfect for a straightforward everyday saison. This and the Little Saison from Pfriem are similar and two of the best in that category.

I also grabbed a Logsdon Farmhouse Kili Wit and Upright #6 (rye saison) for an incredible $9.95 each.

I tried the Dogfish Head 61 minute IPA last night. I have to say that I thought it was a total mess. First drain pour for me in a long time.


61 minute is barely beer. if you approach it with that attitude, i think it's drinkable


I don't know that I'm sufficiently acquainted with barley beer to know how that ought to change my expectations, but I guess I can say that there was a barely flavor that I did not like. I just felt that nothing came together at all. It tasted and felt like someone dumped a berry green tea into a 60 minute IPA and dumped that into seltzer water.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,602
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:25 am
Location: Frolik

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby MWB on Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:48 am

eddysnake wrote:
malkinshair wrote:The Chillwave is incredibly smooth for a 9.4. Very comparable to the dirtwolf.


Is this the same as the alchemy hour from last year, just a different name (copyright issue with the previous name I think)

Did you try the 2xone?


Had the same question. I really liked alchemy hour last year.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,748
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:36 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby shmenguin on Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:05 pm

Kraftster wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
Kraftster wrote:I had some business up in Armstrong County this week, so I stopped at Ho1kB. They have Oxbow Farmhouse on tap, which is an incredible get for New Ken, Pennsylvania! Anyone interested in saisons should definitely check this one out. I think it is about perfect for a straightforward everyday saison. This and the Little Saison from Pfriem are similar and two of the best in that category.

I also grabbed a Logsdon Farmhouse Kili Wit and Upright #6 (rye saison) for an incredible $9.95 each.

I tried the Dogfish Head 61 minute IPA last night. I have to say that I thought it was a total mess. First drain pour for me in a long time.


61 minute is barely beer. if you approach it with that attitude, i think it's drinkable


I don't know that I'm sufficiently acquainted with barley beer to know how that ought to change my expectations, but I guess I can say that there was a barely flavor that I did not like. I just felt that nothing came together at all. It tasted and felt like someone dumped a berry green tea into a 60 minute IPA and dumped that into seltzer water.


it's "barely" beer...in that it almost isn't beer. i think almost every beer is "barley" beer.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 25,067
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:34 pm

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby Kraftster on Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:04 pm

shmenguin wrote:
Kraftster wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
Kraftster wrote:I had some business up in Armstrong County this week, so I stopped at Ho1kB. They have Oxbow Farmhouse on tap, which is an incredible get for New Ken, Pennsylvania! Anyone interested in saisons should definitely check this one out. I think it is about perfect for a straightforward everyday saison. This and the Little Saison from Pfriem are similar and two of the best in that category.

I also grabbed a Logsdon Farmhouse Kili Wit and Upright #6 (rye saison) for an incredible $9.95 each.

I tried the Dogfish Head 61 minute IPA last night. I have to say that I thought it was a total mess. First drain pour for me in a long time.


61 minute is barely beer. if you approach it with that attitude, i think it's drinkable


I don't know that I'm sufficiently acquainted with barley beer to know how that ought to change my expectations, but I guess I can say that there was a barely flavor that I did not like. I just felt that nothing came together at all. It tasted and felt like someone dumped a berry green tea into a 60 minute IPA and dumped that into seltzer water.


it's "barely" beer...in that it almost isn't beer. i think almost every beer is "barley" beer.


lol wow, yeah, barely makes a lot more sense.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,602
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:25 am
Location: Frolik

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby dey soff on Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:13 pm

GLBC Chillwave

Bell's Two Hearted

Fathead's Headhunter

Yum.
dey soff
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 194
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:50 pm

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby MWB on Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:48 pm

Favorite IPAs:
Heady Topper
Chillwave
Founders double
Sculpin
Two Hearted
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,748
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:36 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby malkinshair on Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:44 pm

eddysnake wrote:
malkinshair wrote:The Chillwave is incredibly smooth for a 9.4. Very comparable to the dirtwolf.


Is this the same as the alchemy hour from last year, just a different name (copyright issue with the previous name I think)

Did you try the 2xone?


Just had it. Really good. I can't believe that it's 8.1%. Very well balanced and not a hint of the overall strength. I'm a fan!
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,243
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:27 pm
Location: about 455 yards away...with a 2 iron, I think.

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby columbia on Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:01 pm

Does Sam Adams believe that they are brewing quality beer?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,889
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:13 pm
Location: دعنا نذهب طيور البطريق

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


e-mail