GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby Eismann on Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:15 am

Kraftster wrote:La Fin Du Monde is so excellent. The Troegs Scratch #82 (tripel) I had last night (x3) was a decent attempt and had a flavor profile similar to LFDM.


That kind of surprises me, Kraftster because I would think that LFDM would be too bitter for your palate, even though I know it's less bitter than normal tripels and has more spice. I bought one bottle, took one sip, and couldn't go on because it's too powerful for me.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,705
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:14 am
Location: Less obnoxious, brainless rehab addict chick

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby Kraftster on Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:48 am

Yeah, I find LFDM to be an uncharacteristic tripel, i.e., if its your first tripel and you love it, you'll probably never find a better tripel.
Their website reports it at 35 IBU. That's a great range, I think. I can probably go up to 60 or so if the beer is well-balanced and not designed to be hop forward.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,109
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:25 am
Location: Frolik

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby count2infinity on Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:56 am

Christmas party at my family last night I had:
-Dogfish head 60 min (x4)
-Heady Topper
-Switchback Ale
-Sam Adam's Gingerbread Stout

New favorite IPA... Heady Topper from The Alchemist. Wow. Extremely floral and strong citrus flavors. Has that nice bitter bite to it as well. Definitely my new favorite IPA and probably new favorite beer.

Also had some Switchback Ale last night. It's not bad. Nothing overly exciting.

The Sam Adams Gingerbread Stout was good from what I can recall. I had a good bit of beer by that point. From what I recall, it's not nearly as sweet as I was expecting, but it did have that nice gingerbread smell and taste to it.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,797
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: #isitoctoberyet??? Lololololololol

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby columbia on Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:05 am

I just got off the phoe with one of my brothers and he was hyping up LFDM.

Weird.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,456
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am
Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby JS© on Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:08 am

Kaizer wrote:for those who havent had it, Coors Light is incredible, you should definitely try to find some if possible.


Image

;)
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,573
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:52 am
Location: hooray for me

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby MWB on Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:34 pm

count2infinity wrote:Christmas party at my family last night I had:
-Dogfish head 60 min (x4)
-Heady Topper
-Switchback Ale
-Sam Adam's Gingerbread Stout

New favorite IPA... Heady Topper from The Alchemist. Wow. Extremely floral and strong citrus flavors. Has that nice bitter bite to it as well. Definitely my new favorite IPA and probably new favorite beer.



:thumb:
Glad you got some. Did you drink it straight from the can?
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,780
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:36 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby count2infinity on Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:38 pm

no no...poured it into a glass.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,797
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: #isitoctoberyet??? Lololololololol

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby the wicked child on Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:05 pm

Simon Girty is good. Almost has a bit of a wine taste... Really grew on me. The citrus/honey is noticeable... Not really getting the cocoa they say is in it.

4/4 with these guys so far.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,755
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:11 pm
Location: :scared:

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:53 pm

So another day of waking up dehydrated.

What do you folks do to reduce the effects of dehydration? I saw a post by Lt. Dish last night where she downed a Gatorade and took some Excedrin as a 'Pre-emptive strike'.

Anyone else?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby BadHands71 on Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:06 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:So another day of waking up dehydrated.

What do you folks do to reduce the effects of dehydration? I saw a post by Lt. Dish last night where she downed a Gatorade and took some Excedrin as a 'Pre-emptive strike'.

Anyone else?


Similar. I'll drink some water or ginger ale before bed. I try to also put some water in the mix while drinking.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,010
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:04 pm
Location: In the kitchen...

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:08 am

hangover cure: 1 glass of sunny D for vitamin B1, large handful of salted cashews, three advil. boom
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,211
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:59 pm
Location: The Panda Will Fly Away On A Rainbow

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby eddysnake on Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:11 am

Milk thistle
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,158
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm
Location: tool shed

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby eddysnake on Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:52 am

just found a 6 pack of Victory St Boisterous in the back of my basement closet. It's from Spring 2007, will this still be good?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,158
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm
Location: tool shed

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby MWB on Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:10 am

eddysnake wrote:just found a 6 pack of Victory St Boisterous in the back of my basement closet. It's from Spring 2007, will this still be good?


Only one way to know for sure...
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,780
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:36 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:15 am

MWB wrote:
eddysnake wrote:just found a 6 pack of Victory St Boisterous in the back of my basement closet. It's from Spring 2007, will this still be good?


Only one way to know for sure...

Be careful though. Five plus years is a long time for beer to sit on the shelf. I'd drink them one at a time.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby ulf on Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:18 am

Letang Is The Truth wrote:hangover cure: 1 glass of sunny D for vitamin B1, large handful of salted cashews, three advil. boom

I just wait till I wake up and get taco bell
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,992
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:41 pm

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby the wicked child on Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:17 pm

Drinking the Midas Touch. Interesting beer. Sweetness from the honey and the grapes are the key players. I could never drink a lot of this, but very interesting for a change of pace.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,755
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:11 pm
Location: :scared:

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby BadHands71 on Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:41 pm

the wicked child wrote:Drinking the Midas Touch. Interesting beer. Sweetness from the honey and the grapes are the key players. I could never drink a lot of this, but very interesting for a change of pace.


Agreed. once in a while, I'll pick up a 4 pack and sip on it. It's a nice change, but sooo sweet.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,010
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:04 pm
Location: In the kitchen...

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby bhaw on Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:47 pm

Ok, so this isn't a beer suggestion as much as a cool story. At WalMart yesterday picking up groceries. I got some 6 packs (they don't carry anything fancy). Sam Adams Cherry Wheat for the wifey, Guinness Dark Lager b/c they had it for $4 for the 6 pack so I figured I'd try it, and Bud Light Platinum so I had something easy to drink after a couple of either of those.

Walking out, I had the 6 packs on the bottom of the cart. The WalMart where we live has this really dumb bumpy area before you get to the street... I think it's supposed to stop you from rolling into the street with a runaway cart or warn you if you aren't paying attention, but imagine rolling a cart over the bumpiest road you know condensed into a 4 foot wide by 8 foot long chunk of sidewalk.

Well the bumps made the Sam Adams fall off the cart and one of them broke/exploded spraying beer and glass everywhere. I was pissed but oh well, one beer out of 18, who cares. My wife, with the much better moral conscience, decides to go in and tell someone so they can get the glass out of the way.

The guy that comes out to help, no BS, looks like a dead ringer for Santa (just with a hump on his back... can't make this ish up). He tells us they never should have let us out with the beer on the bottom of the cart and brings out his own cart to clean it up. Then he takes my wife back in and grabs her another pack and tells us to keep the other 5 from the busted pack. Merry Christmas from humpback Santa!

Thanks dude! whoever you are...
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,003
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: From Hockey Siberia to Hockey Hell

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:56 pm

Heineken tastes like weed. That is all.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,453
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby bhaw on Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:57 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
MWB wrote:
eddysnake wrote:just found a 6 pack of Victory St Boisterous in the back of my basement closet. It's from Spring 2007, will this still be good?


Only one way to know for sure...

Be careful though. Five plus years is a long time for beer to sit on the shelf. I'd drink them one at a time.


I'd funnel all 6 at one time and let the good times roll.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,003
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: From Hockey Siberia to Hockey Hell

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby bhaw on Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:59 pm

BadHands71 wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:So another day of waking up dehydrated.

What do you folks do to reduce the effects of dehydration? I saw a post by Lt. Dish last night where she downed a Gatorade and took some Excedrin as a 'Pre-emptive strike'.

Anyone else?


Similar. I'll drink some water or ginger ale before bed. I try to also put some water in the mix while drinking.


Powerade/Gatorade or something along those lines (SmartWater?), water, and yes... Excedrine migrane BEFORE the pain. Works fairly well. Basically replacing the stuff you put out (into the toilet).
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,003
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: From Hockey Siberia to Hockey Hell

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby Eismann on Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:21 pm

bhaw wrote:
BadHands71 wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:So another day of waking up dehydrated.

What do you folks do to reduce the effects of dehydration? I saw a post by Lt. Dish last night where she downed a Gatorade and took some Excedrin as a 'Pre-emptive strike'.

Anyone else?


Similar. I'll drink some water or ginger ale before bed. I try to also put some water in the mix while drinking.


Powerade/Gatorade or something along those lines (SmartWater?), water, and yes... Excedrine migrane BEFORE the pain. Works fairly well. Basically replacing the stuff you put out (into the toilet).


Try some alkali foods with the tablets. Figs, apricots, citrus, whey, many others. They will counteract the acidity that's so huge in beer/wine/liquor.

Also, can't beat water.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,705
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:14 am
Location: Less obnoxious, brainless rehab addict chick

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby stopper40 on Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:31 pm

Got several bottles of St Bernardus Xmas for Christmas. Mmmmmmmm Mmmmmmmm
stopper40
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,745
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:51 am
Location: BANNED for liking Butterfingers

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby the wicked child on Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:43 pm

The growler of Aureus is officially open for business. Awwwwww yeah.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,755
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:11 pm
Location: :scared:

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: knives of ice and 7 guests


cron
e-mail